Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#401 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:53 pm

payitforward wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
nuposse04 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well, I wonder if he has a chance of sticking. At least there is some...upside?

Nice. I liked him out of college. Played high school at Montrose Christian in Rockville. But he seems pretty similar to Admiral. Out of UVA looked like a 3&D SF but after shooting 45% on 3 his last year of college has only shot 30% as a pro.

Could knock Jones out, or McRae.

Anderson played pretty well in the league until last year when he dropped some. Atlanta seemed to want to play him at the 4. As a 3 he is an excellent rebounder & effective offensively except he can't shoot the 3, which looks to prevent him having much of an nba career.

For sure he needs to play in someone's TC; he has some possibility. I wouldn't let Jones go to keep him (i.e. based on current info).

What kind of defender is he?

His rep outta college was that of a physical and high effort defender...

Over the last two seasons, few teams in the country have been as stout defensively as Tony Bennett's Virginia Cavaliers, finishing 5th in the nation in defensive efficiency in 2013-14 and 1st in the nation this past season. A big part of that defense has been junior Justin Anderson, a physical specimen capable of guarding multiple positions for the Cavaliers. At 6‘6“, with long arms, good quickness, and a well developed upper body, Anderson has quick enough feet to defend wings on the perimeter and enough brute strength to defend smaller players in the post. That outstanding physical profile forms the basis of his productivity on the defensive end, and plays a big part in his value as a prospect. He has very quick lateral mobility, and changes direction very well on the defensive side of the ball. He also has a long, 6‘11“ wingspan and great closeout speed, helping him recover to contest shots, both on the perimeter and at the rim, when he does get beat. Anderson's defensive fundamentals are not always perfect, but his outstanding physical tools and high energy level help cancel this out, suggesting Anderson has even more room to grow as a defender than the already plus defender that he currently is. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Anderson-5676/ ©DraftExpress

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Anderson-5676/

Anderson could help balance out the roster by allowing Admiral to move to SG.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,846

Post#402 » by dckingsfan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:03 am

SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
payitforward wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:Nice. I liked him out of college. Played high school at Montrose Christian in Rockville. But he seems pretty similar to Admiral. Out of UVA looked like a 3&D SF but after shooting 45% on 3 his last year of college has only shot 30% as a pro.

Could knock Jones out, or McRae.

Anderson played pretty well in the league until last year when he dropped some. Atlanta seemed to want to play him at the 4. As a 3 he is an excellent rebounder & effective offensively except he can't shoot the 3, which looks to prevent him having much of an nba career.

For sure he needs to play in someone's TC; he has some possibility. I wouldn't let Jones go to keep him (i.e. based on current info).

Over the last two seasons, few teams in the country have been as stout defensively as Tony Bennett's Virginia Cavaliers, finishing 5th in the nation in defensive efficiency in 2013-14 and 1st in the nation this past season. A big part of that defense has been junior Justin Anderson, a physical specimen capable of guarding multiple positions for the Cavaliers. At 6‘6“, with long arms, good quickness, and a well developed upper body, Anderson has quick enough feet to defend wings on the perimeter and enough brute strength to defend smaller players in the post. That outstanding physical profile forms the basis of his productivity on the defensive end, and plays a big part in his value as a prospect. He has very quick lateral mobility, and changes direction very well on the defensive side of the ball. He also has a long, 6‘11“ wingspan and great closeout speed, helping him recover to contest shots, both on the perimeter and at the rim, when he does get beat. Anderson's defensive fundamentals are not always perfect, but his outstanding physical tools and high energy level help cancel this out, suggesting Anderson has even more room to grow as a defender than the already plus defender that he currently is. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Justin-Anderson-5676/ ©DraftExpress

Sam Dekker was another one that would have stuck except for the lack of a 3 point shot (IMO). And Anderson is older than Dekker.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#403 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:05 am

Any word yet on it the Wizards are getting the roster exemption for Wall? Or when that decision is supposed to be made?
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,561

Post#404 » by pcbothwel » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:19 am

dckingsfan wrote:
SUPERBALLMAN wrote:
payitforward wrote:Anderson played pretty well in the league until last year when he dropped some. Atlanta seemed to want to play him at the 4. As a 3 he is an excellent rebounder & effective offensively except he can't shoot the 3, which looks to prevent him having much of an nba career.

Sam Dekker was another one that would have stuck except for the lack of a 3 point shot (IMO). And Anderson is older than Dekker.

I was in favor of Dekker, but Anderson isnt a bad bet to turn into a role player.
4 years in.... I see an upside/likely/low end comparison of Shump/Temple/Alonzo Gee
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#405 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:49 am

dckingsfan wrote:Sam Dekker was another one that would have stuck except for the lack of a 3 point shot (IMO). And Anderson is older than Dekker.

I'm not really sure why we didn't keep Dekker around and try to improve his 3-point shot with our shooting coaches.

That said, if we're talking about Anderson versus Dekker, it's possible that they prefer Anderson because he has more potential as a perimeter stopper at the small forward position, a role most teams need. Dekker was a decent team defender, but he never struck me as a great one-on-one defender.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#406 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:55 am

nate33 wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Sam Dekker was another one that would have stuck except for the lack of a 3 point shot (IMO). And Anderson is older than Dekker.

I'm not really sure why we didn't keep Dekker around and try to improve his 3-point shot with our shooting coaches.

That said, if we're talking about Anderson versus Dekker, it's possible that they prefer Anderson because he has more potential as a perimeter stopper at the small forward position, a role most teams need. Dekker was a decent team defender, but he never struck me as a great one-on-one defender.

It's summer. I haven't posted anything outlandish in a while. Here goes:

Scott Brooks judges white players more harshly. The NBA in general is racist. Dekker is a good player but guys like him will never get the big contracts. Same with Satoransky.
Bye bye Beal.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#407 » by DCZards » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:57 am

nate33 wrote:

Dekker is 25 years old. I doubt that the Zards wanted to spend time and energy with the hope his 3 pt shot would improve. Too many other younger guys to prioritize.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,846

Post#408 » by dckingsfan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:26 am

DCZards wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Decker is 25 years old. I doubt that the Zards wanted to spend time and energy with the hope his 3 pt shot would improve. Too many other younger guys to prioritize.

Right - that's what I don't get Anderson is older. But like nate says, maybe they were looking for a perimeter stopper.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach

Post#409 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:18 am

nate33 wrote:

Well I think they realize they need to improve defensively. Anderson could help address that need, and he fits the mold of hard working high motor & well coached, as well as cheap/low risk, and still relatively young (26).
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#410 » by payitforward » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:05 am

It's a training camp deal. I doubt there's an advanced level of intention here. Just "yeah, he's worth a look."
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#411 » by gambitx777 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:40 am

25 years old. Not a great shooter but not terrible from 3 . Not a great defender but not an awful one. Worth a look!
payitforward wrote:It's a training camp deal. I doubt there's an advanced level of intention here. Just "yeah, he's worth a look."

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#412 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:50 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:It's summer. I haven't posted anything outlandish in a while. Here goes:

Scott Brooks judges white players more harshly. The NBA in general is racist. Dekker is a good player but guys like him will never get the big contracts. Same with Satoransky.

I think there is a kernel of truth to this. When we're talking about role players, I think white guys are judged a bit more harshly. It's just assumed that white guys can't possibly be good defenders.

However, I think this is offset a bit by teams overrating "star" white prospects a bit. Guys like Keith Van Horn, Adam Morrison and Jimmer Freddette would not have gone as high as they did were it not for some GM's secretly hoping that they can land the next white star to attract more rich white fans into the expensive box seats. I think we're seeing it a bit with Porzingis. The way people talk about him, you would think he's a top 20 player. He's not even top 50.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#413 » by JWizmentality » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:

This is an interesting discussion. The NBA is racist against white players? How so? Is your premise that white players will not be paid as much as their similar black counterparts? Show me your evidence.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#414 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:12 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
nate33 wrote:I'm not really sure why we didn't keep Dekker around and try to improve his 3-point shot with our shooting coaches.

This is an interesting discussion. The NBA is racist against white players? How so? Is your premise that white players will not be paid as much as their similar black counterparts? Show me your evidence.
I said it was outlandish. I don't have the time nor the inclination to try to even find any evidence.

To clarify I know guys like Gordon Hayward make a lot of money. Hayward was a good scorer at Utah. Scorers get paid.

White role players in my OPINION get judged harshly. Aaron Craft or Ish Smith?

Sent from my SM-J337T using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#415 » by JWizmentality » Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 pm

JWizmentality wrote:

I said it was outlandish. I don't have the time nor the inclination to try to even find any evidence.

To clarify I know guys like Gordon Hayward make a lot of money. Hayward was a good scorer at Utah. Scorers get paid.

Sato got judged all the way to 11mil? Ok bro. whatever.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#416 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:39 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:

You gotta admit, it took the team forever to give Sato the playing time he deserved. They tried Trey Burke, Brandon Jennings, Tim Frazier and Ty Lawson before finally being forced by injuries to play Sato. The entire time, Sato was a much better player going by box score statistics or on/off ratios.
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#417 » by JWizmentality » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I said it was outlandish. I don't have the time nor the inclination to try to even find any evidence.

You gotta admit, it took the team forever to give Sato the playing time he deserved. They tried Trey Burke, Brandon Jennings, Tim Frazier and Ty Lawson before finally being forced by injuries to play Sato. The entire time, Sato was a much better player going by box score statistics or on/off ratios.

I'm not disputing this org treated Sato like trash. Those situations are a dime a dozen, whether they're black, white, purple whatever. But we treated Sato like trash = NBA racist against whites is laughable.

Shocking that it has piqued your interest. :D :roll:
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#418 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:52 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
nate33 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:

I'm not disputing this org treated Sato like trash. Those situations are a dime a dozen, whether they're black, white, purple whatever. But we treated Sato like trash = NBA racist against whites is laughable.

:roll:

I didn't bring it up, CCJ did, in a reply to one of my posts. And I think I've been pretty even-handed about it. Look at my first post on the subject.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#419 » by Dat2U » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:32 am

nate33 wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:It's summer. I haven't posted anything outlandish in a while. Here goes:

I think there is a kernel of truth to this. When we're talking about role players, I think white guys are judged a bit more harshly. It's just assumed that white guys can't possibly be good defenders.

However, I think this is offset a bit by teams overrating "star" white prospects a bit. Guys like Keith Van Horn, Adam Morrison and Jimmer Freddette would not have gone as high as they did were it not for some GM's secretly hoping that they can land the next white star to attract more rich white fans into the expensive box seats. I think we're seeing it a bit with Porzingis. The way people talk about him, you would think he's a top 20 player. He's not even top 50.

Dekker was a low skilled player with no defined role. Plain and simple. Not having one reliable or above average skill at 6-8 on either end of the court makes it really tough to stand out. I guarantee you no one saw him as anything more than an energy guy. Maybe the counting stats looked ok but he messes up spacing, can't dribble, doesn't defend well and doesn't rebound enough to play the 4. So what do you do?

You try to find a better fit or someone that might have a future.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#420 » by Dat2U » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:37 am

JWizmentality wrote:
nate33 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:

I don't buy the race claim either against Brooks.

Brooks didnt like Sato because he couldn't play at the same pace as Wall. Which is completely stupid because they are nothing alike but this seemed to be a point of consternation for Brooks as he said more than once he wanted to see Sato play faster and push tempo. That's why Brooks preferred two washed jitterbugs in Brandon Jennings & Ty Lawson instead of Satp and likely Brooks had a big say in getting Ish Smith who plays like a broke version of Wall. He prefers someone that can mimic Wall's pace on the floor.

Return to Washington Wizards