ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#741 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:46 am

killmongrel wrote:Yeah, a lot of people like to use the super star term, but like you said, there's really only a few I would consider to be a super star in the league.

In no order, super stars are players like KD, LeBron, Steph, Kawhi, AD, Harden, and maybe Giannis. Westbrook used to be a super star but he's declining to the point where his style is just so detrimental to being a championship contending team.

As much as he wants it, Kawhi is never going to be a super star. He doesn't talk enough, he's not liked or even hated enough, he just doesn't measure up in PR to be a super star in the traditional meaning of the word.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#742 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:05 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Yeah, a lot of people like to use the super star term, but like you said, there's really only a few I would consider to be a super star in the league.

In no order, super stars are players like KD, LeBron, Steph, Kawhi, AD, Harden, and maybe Giannis. Westbrook used to be a super star but he's declining to the point where his style is just so detrimental to being a championship contending team.

As much as he wants it, Kawhi is never going to be a super star. He doesn't talk enough, he's not liked or even hated enough, he just doesn't measure up in PR to be a super star in the traditional meaning of the word.

Winning titles with 2 different teams, being the best player at the time on those 2 different teams....not to mention the fact that an entire Nation was begging him to stay and represent their country, I'd think Kawhi fully qualifies as a Super Star.

Just a different kind.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#743 » by cdubbz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:47 am

Not gonna lie -- Carmelo Anthony for the Warriors I think I want to see! Melo has something to prove being shut out by so many teams and I honestly think he wants to go out the right way and will play the right way (I know I’m crazy!)

Off the bench for small ball lineup for WCS. Lol. Mid range jumpers all day.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#744 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:33 am

cdubbz wrote:Not gonna lie -- Carmelo Anthony for the Warriors I think I want to see! Melo has something to prove being shut out by so many teams and I honestly think he wants to go out the right way and will play the right way (I know I’m crazy!)

So you are willing to give up on McKinnie for Carmelo? I would rather hang on to McKinnie as I think he has more future potential than Melo.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#745 » by wco81 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:47 am

Only guys who've wanted Melo are guys like Westbrook, Harden, CP3, Lillard and McCollum.

These guys may be great players but they're not such great talent evaluators.

Or at looking at analytics, though there's kind of a black vs. white divide on the use of analytics.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#746 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:31 am

Melo waiting 19 seasons to suddenly become a team player is a joke ... he's never going to change which is why he's not in the NBA.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#747 » by azwfan » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:39 am

Samurai wrote:
cdubbz wrote:Not gonna lie -- Carmelo Anthony for the Warriors I think I want to see! Melo has something to prove being shut out by so many teams and I honestly think he wants to go out the right way and will play the right way (I know I’m crazy!)

So you are willing to give up on McKinnie for Carmelo? I would rather hang on to McKinnie as I think he has more future potential than Melo.

I haven't seen anything from McKinnie to get me excited about his potential. I'm not advocating to sign Melo and dump McKinnie... but I wouldn't mind making McKinnie earn his roster spot in camp, and bringing in guys (including Melo) on a non-guaranteed camp deal to push McKinnie for that roster spot makes sense to me. Now, it likely won't make sense to Melo because he may have too much ego for a non-guaranteed camp deal, but I think it makes sense from the Warriors perspective.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#748 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:16 pm

azwfan wrote:
Samurai wrote:

I haven't seen anything from McKinnie to get me excited about his potential. I'm not advocating to sign Melo and dump McKinnie... but I wouldn't mind making McKinnie earn his roster spot in camp, and bringing in guys (including Melo) on a non-guaranteed camp deal to push McKinnie for that roster spot makes sense to me. Now, it likely won't make sense to Melo because he may have too much ego for a non-guaranteed camp deal, but I think it makes sense from the Warriors perspective.

With no cap space, how else can you sign Melo unless you dump McKinnie?
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#749 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:31 pm

Samurai wrote:With no cap space, how else can you sign Melo unless you dump McKinnie?

Correct. Cutting McKinnie is literally the only option they have to add a different player right now.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#750 » by Mylie10 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:26 pm

azwfan wrote:
Samurai wrote:

I disagree on several things here. Let's do Melo first. I think it makes zero sense for the Warriors to even entertain the thought of Melo coming in here.

The team is set up this season to have our core 4 be the leaders and to have the rest of the roster battling it out to see who fits long term. Having Melo around to throw of chemistry and dynamics makes no sense to me.

As for McKinnie...... he's dirt cheap! And he rebounds at a near elite level. Which is huge when you think about the rebounding we will need. His shot looks good, but he needs to be more consistent.....duh, so do all young players in the league. If he hits a couple more 3s in those Finals, he's a hero and we aren't having this discussion.

I love McKinnie, and especially for the price. I see big improvement coming, and Kerr is comfortable with him.

Eff Melo and his touchy azz.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
azwfan
RealGM

Post#751 » by azwfan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:13 am

Samurai wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Samurai wrote:So you are willing to give up on McKinnie for Carmelo? I would rather hang on to McKinnie as I think he has more future potential than Melo.

With no cap space, how else can you sign Melo unless you dump McKinnie?

Exactly as i said above... sign Melo (and others) to non-guaranteed camp deals. Best man gets the roster spot. So yes, we drop McKinnie if he can't win his roster spot. But I do not advocate for signing Melo outright (which would require dumping McKinnie) without Melo earning that roster spot / McKinnie having the ability to fight for his spot.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#752 » by azwfan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:24 am

Mylie10 wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Samurai wrote:So you are willing to give up on McKinnie for Carmelo? I would rather hang on to McKinnie as I think he has more future potential than Melo.

I disagree on several things here. Let's do Melo first. I think it makes zero sense for the Warriors to even entertain the thought of Melo coming in here.

The team is set up this season to have our core 4 be the leaders and to have the rest of the roster battling it out to see who fits long term. Having Melo around to throw of chemistry and dynamics makes no sense to me.

As for McKinnie...... he's dirt cheap! And he rebounds at a near elite level. Which is huge when you think about the rebounding we will need. His shot looks good, but he needs to be more consistent.....duh, so do all young players in the league. If he hits a couple more 3s in those Finals, he's a hero and we aren't having this discussion.

I love McKinnie, and especially for the price. I see big improvement coming, and Kerr is comfortable with him.

McKinnie is cheap... but that is not a factor here. He's got 1 year on his deal, and anyone we would potentially replace him with will be just as cheap. The key factor is, that person has gotta take his job. Meaning, just being slightly better during training camp is probably not going to get the job. They need to be a significant improvement.

I do like McKinnie's rebounding... I mean, that's why he's still on the team. There really isn't any other reason to have him out there - that i can think of. He's not an especially good defender and he is an inconsistent shooter. I think he does hustle and I do like that. That can provide energy to others. Regardless of all of that, we are weak at SF (his position) and a little camp competition will be good for us. If McKinnie earns that roster spot thats great for us. If someone else takes it... thats great too.

I'm not a fan of Melo either, but that does not mean he could not potentially help us. (Honestly, i'm not a fan of Russell either) But if Melo comes in and earns a roster spot over McKinnie, why not? He's not upsetting any chemistry. He's gonna fall in line behind Draymond and Steph just like everyone else. And if he didn't, we could dump his non-guarnteed ass anyways.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#753 » by Mylie10 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:57 am

So let's say we sign Melo to a camp deal.....the second camp begins, we have a circus on our hands. Everything is immediately going to he about Carmelo's comeback.... blah blah blah.

Instead we have a training camp that's going to he optimism and competition amongst a whole bunch of young dudes. I for one am excited about the preseason and how the roster is going to shake out. And how the early year is going to look and how competitive we will be.

If Melo is in camp, it tarnishes that for me. He changes the narrative for everything. Eff that.
Khoee wrote “
azwfan
RealGM

Post#754 » by azwfan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 am

Mylie10 wrote:So let's say we sign Melo to a camp deal.....the second camp begins, we have a circus on our hands. Everything is immediately going to he about Carmelo's comeback.... blah blah blah.

Instead we have a training camp that's going to he optimism and competition amongst a whole bunch of young dudes. I for one am excited about the preseason and how the roster is going to shake out. And how the early year is going to look and how competitive we will be.

If Melo is in camp, it tarnishes that for me. He changes the narrative for everything. Eff that.

I really don't care about narratives. I just want the best chance to win. Give me whoever that is. If he's a kid or a former "star" looking for redemption or a 30 yr old rookie - or maybe its what we already got - i really don't care.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,138

Post#755 » by watch1958 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:02 am

azwfan wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:So let's say we sign Melo to a camp deal.....the second camp begins, we have a circus on our hands. Everything is immediately going to he about Carmelo's comeback.... blah blah blah.

I really don't care about narratives. I just want the best chance to win. Give me whoever that is. If he's a kid or a former "star" looking for redemption or a 30 yr old rookie - or maybe its what we already got - i really don't care.
Narratives matter. Last season might have been different if they hadn't been running the "Is he leaving" narrative 24/7.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#756 » by azwfan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:38 am

watch1958 wrote:
azwfan wrote:

Narratives matter. Last season might have been different if they hadn't been running the "Is he leaving" narrative 24/7.

Possibly. Or the devastating injuries we incurred in the playoffs could have made a difference. :dontknow:
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#757 » by wco81 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:25 am

Remember some of us were worried that Boogie might take too many big shots instead of the Warriors' better shooting players?

Well it would be an even bigger concern for Melo.

Even at his peak he wasn't the shooter Steph and Klay are. But he doesn't think that.

Now if you need a sure 3, you might prefer Melo to take an open look than Alonzo but that would be the Melo of at least 3-4 years ago. Who knows where he is now, as he's barely played the last couple of seasons and he's 35.
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,182

Post#758 » by xdrta+ » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:33 pm

azwfan wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
azwfan wrote:I haven't seen anything from McKinnie to get me excited about his potential. I'm not advocating to sign Melo and dump McKinnie... but I wouldn't mind making McKinnie earn his roster spot in camp, and bringing in guys (including Melo) on a non-guaranteed camp deal to push McKinnie for that roster spot makes sense to me. Now, it likely won't make sense to Melo because he may have too much ego for a non-guaranteed camp deal, but I think it makes sense from the Warriors perspective.

McKinnie is cheap... but that is not a factor here. He's got 1 year on his deal, and anyone we would potentially replace him with will be just as cheap. The key factor is, that person has gotta take his job. Meaning, just being slightly better during training camp is probably not going to get the job. They need to be a significant improvement.

I do like McKinnie's rebounding... I mean, that's why he's still on the team. There really isn't any other reason to have him out there - that i can think of. He's not an especially good defender and he is an inconsistent shooter. I think he does hustle and I do like that. That can provide energy to others. Regardless of all of that, we are weak at SF (his position) and a little camp competition will be good for us. If McKinnie earns that roster spot thats great for us. If someone else takes it... thats great too.

I'm not a fan of Melo either, but that does not mean he could not potentially help us. (Honestly, i'm not a fan of Russell either) But if Melo comes in and earns a roster spot over McKinnie, why not? He's not upsetting any chemistry. He's gonna fall in line behind Draymond and Steph just like everyone else. And if he didn't, we could dump his non-guarnteed ass anyways.

Strictly speaking, anyone the Warriors sign to a minimum deal will cost more than McKinnie, since McKinnie's salary is based on the minimum schedule in effect when he signed, and it has gone up since. But since it's a little less than 50k difference, they could still squeeze it under the hard cap.

IMO, since McKinnie's salary isn't guaranteed until Jan 10, they should definitely keep him until then at least, see if he takes a step forward, judge his value, and make a move then if desired. Since minimum salaries pro-rate, they could easily sign someone for the rest of the season at that time. I don't doubt that Melo will still be available, though he would be my last choice.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#759 » by killmongrel » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:09 pm

I honestly can't believe that some people are entertaining the idea of melo on the team. What does it accomplish? DLO integrating to the team is the no. 1 priority. Finding out which rookies and young players work for the team going forward is a priority as well. Id rather find out what we have in terms of personnel than maybe winning some meaningless games here and there because we have Melo on the team for 1 year. He doesn't move the needle, and might hurt the development of the young players. So what is the benefit? I don't have positive hopes for McKinnie, but at least he could be part of the team's future if he impresses.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#760 » by Samurai » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:56 am

killmongrel wrote:I honestly can't believe that some people are entertaining the idea of melo on the team. What does it accomplish? DLO integrating to the team is the no. 1 priority. Finding out which rookies and young players work for the team going forward is a priority as well. Id rather find out what we have in terms of personnel than maybe winning some meaningless games here and there because we have Melo on the team for 1 year. He doesn't move the needle, and might hurt the development of the young players. So what is the benefit? I don't have positive hopes for McKinnie, but at least he could be part of the team's future if he impresses.

I think its more like "one person" advocating for Melo rather than "some people". I'd be surprised if any other posters are pushing for Melo. I don't think offense will be our biggest challenge this season - with guys like Burks, Poole, GR3 (if the Indy version shows up instead of the Detroit version) and Paschall on the bench, we have more shooters on the second unit than we did last season. I think our bigger challenge will be on defense and I am not convinced Melo knows how to spell that word, let alone play it. We also had issues being out-rebounded last year and I think McKinnie moves the needle much more on the glass than Melo.

Return to Golden State Warriors