ImageImageImage

So how are you feeling now?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

USWAY
Sixth Man
And1: 1,140

Re: So how are you feeling now? 

Post#201 » by USWAY » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:10 am

papajoe wrote:bit concerned at Horford/Embiid fit.

Not worried about Tobi at all.

I think Horford will have to adjust his game on offense when he's playing with Embiid to provide more spacing. He already can space the floor at a pretty high level, but I believe he'll have to spend more time on the perimeter in those situations. He's a high IQ vet, and extremely skilled passer though, so I think he can make it work.

On defense I have no issues. Horford isn't some rim protector, he's a smart defender more than anything who's quick and has long arms to help adjust opponents shots. He's been one the main reasons Boston has had a good defense for 3 years and I can only imagine how he'll be now that he'll be anchored by Jojo.

Personally, I always felt like Boston caused us the most trouble when Baynes was at the 5 and Horford was at the 4, and Al was able to dip his fingers into all of the action instead of rim protecting.

I also just can't see Milwaukee & Giannis (after losing one of the most effecient 3 pt shooters in the league in Brogdon) not having issues when we can throw Embiid, Horford, and Ben at him all series. 3 completely different types of high-level defenders who also happen to have size.
mike76
Junior
And1: 344

Post#202 » by mike76 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:17 am

HotelVitale wrote:Some things I'm looking forward to:
--Embiid getting to dump passes to Horford out of doubleteams, and Horford drilling 12 footers or making a sweet pass to a shooter or cutter when the defense rotates
--Our revived dribble hand-off sets (which normally drive me crazy), since Richardson and Harris can actually dribble and shoot off the dribble
--Simmons and Zhaire as cutters within a more fluid offense
--Our combo of length, athleticism, and quick hands on defense, esp when the rotations are crisp
--Harris getting to run pn'r with Horford all day; scoring, dumping to Horford, or making quick reads to shooters in the corners

Things I'm not looking forward to:
--Crunch time against good defenses on days when Embiid isn't in good rhythm
--Stretches when Harris, Richardson, Ennis, Scott, and Horford miss long 2s in consecutive possessions and I start worrying about our spacing (and all the guys on the general board who will be gloating about it)
--Struggling against mediocre teams with quick backcourts and worrying that all this talk about being a legit contender was foolish/presumptuous
--Simmons and Embiid still doing the easy effective things against meh teams, not pushing themselves to constantly practice what'll work against legit teams

All legit points except you should have no concerns about Scott or Ennis missing long 2s. Those two guys should not even be allow to dribble in our offense and should never be trying for pullup midrangers. Either they take the open 3 and pass it to one of the 5 starters who you can trust with the ball.

Maybe Ennis can take it to the rim with that old man YMCA game that he has
mike76
Junior
And1: 344

Post#203 » by mike76 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:34 am

Bench from last year to this year:

Playoff Bench --> Next Season Bench
TJ/J Simmons/Ennis/Scott/Boban --> Neto/(Zhaire/Thybulle/Shake/maybe Korver)/Ennis/Scott/O'Quinn

So went from 3 non-shooters in TJ, Simmons, and Boban to 1 non shooter in O'Quinn (who actually has a good midrange game with the potential to stretch it out to 3).

And I would say the defense on this year bench is also better than last year's bench (I take Neto and O'Quinn and whatever rookie gets minute defensively over TJ and Boban and Simmons)
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#204 » by kuclas » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:16 am

With Russell Westbrook trade and I’m sure cp3 gonna to be moved as well. When the fultz trade took place sixers had good chance of at least okc 1st round pick assuming okc with George and westbook. Many forget Andre Roberson is a very good defender and one of the reasons for their 2017-2018 season before he went down.

But now okc in full tank mode. There is 0 chance sixers will get okc 1st round pick. So the fultz fiasco ends with essentially a 10 million salary dump plus (2) 2nd rounds.
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#205 » by Aussiepiston1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:37 am

kuclas wrote:With Russell Westbrook trade and I’m sure cp3 gonna to be moved as well. When the fultz trade took place sixers had good chance of at least okc 1st round pick assuming okc with George and westbook. Many forget Andre Roberson is a very good defender and one of the reasons for their 2017-2018 season before he went down.

But now okc in full tank mode. There is 0 chance sixers will get okc 1st round pick. So the fultz fiasco ends with essentially a 10 million salary dump plus (2) 2nd rounds.

So annoyed at that, during the draft I was thinking come on Elton trade that OKC pick to get into the 1st and grab KPJ or Little or Kabengele or Keldon Johnson since Boston, Brooklyn and Detroit all traded them away :banghead: now we have so many future 2nds who may or may not be high and we will probably trade them away also.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#206 » by the_process » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:42 am

I’m feeling good we don’t have to worry about Fultz anymore. Feeling real good that Kawhi is out of the conference. Feeing awesome that the Celtics took a big hit. Barring something catastrophic, the ECF’s should be the minimum for the team this year.
Simmons25
Analyst
And1: 2,235

Post#207 » by Simmons25 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:44 am

the_process wrote:I’m feeling good we don’t have to worry about Fultz anymore. Feeling real good that Kawhi is out of the conference. Feeing awesome that the Celtics took a big hit. Barring something catastrophic, the ECF’s should be the minimum for the team this year.

Bit early to proclaim ECF as a minimum. Any team in our conference could reload during the year with a couple of guns from a buyout. If the rosters were in concrete as of today for the entire season I would say yes... but there is going to be more to play out yet. What if Chris Paul gets bought out by OKC and ends at up the Bucks for instance.
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#208 » by thenbaman » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:35 pm

There are very few teams that can take on that amount of salary.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,898

Post#209 » by kuclas » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Aussiepiston1 wrote:
kuclas wrote:With Russell Westbrook trade and I’m sure cp3 gonna to be moved as well. When the fultz trade took place sixers had good chance of at least okc 1st round pick assuming okc with George and westbook. Many forget Andre Roberson is a very good defender and one of the reasons for their 2017-2018 season before he went down.

So annoyed at that, during the draft I was thinking come on Elton trade that OKC pick to get into the 1st and grab KPJ or Little or Kabengele or Keldon Johnson since Boston, Brooklyn and Detroit all traded them away :banghead: now we have so many future 2nds who may or may not be high and we will probably trade them away also.

Teams are trading multiple 1st round picks as if they are like nothing these days. It’s new for 2019 off season.

I think after the Celtics/nets trade fiasco. Teams held or put major restrictions on 1st rounds trades from 2015-2019. But something changed this off season. I guess teams in win now mode realize the 1st picks aren’t worth much anymore due to lottery changes. So willing to off load them easier with less protections.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,045

Post#210 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:08 pm

kuclas wrote:
Aussiepiston1 wrote:

Teams are trading multiple 1st round picks as if they are like nothing these days. It’s new for 2019 off season.

I think after the Celtics/nets trade fiasco. Teams held or put major restrictions on 1st rounds trades from 2015-2019. But something changed this off season. I guess teams in win now mode realize the 1st picks aren’t worth much anymore due to lottery changes. So willing to off load them easier with less protections.

I think a lot of it is because the Warriors aren’t around anymore and teams see a real path to a title.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#211 » by the_process » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:29 pm

Simmons25 wrote:
the_process wrote:I’m feeling good we don’t have to worry about Fultz anymore. Feeling real good that Kawhi is out of the conference. Feeing awesome that the Celtics took a big hit. Barring something catastrophic, the ECF’s should be the minimum for the team this year.

Bit early to proclaim ECF as a minimum. Any team in our conference could reload during the year with a couple of guns from a buyout. If the rosters were in concrete as of today for the entire season I would say yes... but there is going to be more to play out yet. What if Chris Paul gets bought out by OKC and ends at up the Bucks for instance.

As of right now; the two best teams in the East, by a considerable margin, are the Sixers and the Bucks.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,045

Post#212 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:31 pm

If Chris Paul gets bought out (he won’t) I feel like there are about 5-6 teams he would want to go to over the Bucks including the Sixers.
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,714

Post#213 » by phillynative » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:34 pm

the_process wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

As of right now; the two best teams in the East, by a considerable margin, are the Sixers and the Bucks.

All these so called analyst are saying that the Bucks are in our way. I'm looking at how we match up with them.
They are top heavy like us with great size and defense. I think we may be the only team that has 3 guys that can defend Giannis straight up in Joey, Ben and Al. I think losing Jimmy hurts because he canceled out Middleton . But they lost one of the best 3&D players while we added one in Richardson. They added Robin lopez who is a underrated defensive anchor. I still dont see him doing anything with joel though
I also believe they have a slight edge with George hill , Illy and Lopez. Mike Scott and Illy cancel each other out at this point but George hill and Lopez can start for some teams.

Another point they like to make is Giannis was the MVP and is still growing . It's TRUE but it's not like Joel and Ben have hit there ceiling either.

It should make for some intense regular season games .
Black Mage
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,580

Post#214 » by Black Mage » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:17 am

Aussiepiston1 wrote:

Do we know for a fact that he didn't try?

Also, see how tight we were with cap, I have a better understanding of why he did what he did. Would I still feel better with Edwards or someone else on the team too? Sure, but at least he was truthful when he said he needed all the cash he could get.
Aussiepiston1
Bench Warmer
And1: 278

Post#215 » by Aussiepiston1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:25 am

Black Mage wrote:
Aussiepiston1 wrote:

Do we know for a fact that he didn't try?

Also, see how tight we were with cap, I have a better understanding of why he did what he did. Would I still feel better with Edwards or someone else on the team too? Sure, but at least he was truthful when he said he needed all the cash he could get.

Guess We don't hahaha
I'm feeling slightly better now after seeing Thybulle and Smith play in the Summer League (I know it's SL League)
I think they can be real contributors this season like Shamet was last season.
maybe Bolden can surprise us as well other wise there's plenty of young guys out there like Patton, Diallo, Bender and even Porter who we can take a flyer on. :-?
thenbaman
Sixth Man
And1: 537

Post#216 » by thenbaman » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:55 am

With a 10million salary dump and two second round picks we ripped off the magic big time,take
it and run.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,016

Post#217 » by ivysixer2000 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:19 pm

the_process wrote:
Simmons25 wrote:

Well, cause of injuries and stuff, we just don't know what could happen but I love our chances.

We have no idea on seeding or which side of the bracket we would end up on, but my expectations would be to meet the Bucks and see what happens....whether its the ECF or whatever round.

Whoever wins, that team has a high probability to be the representative in the Finals.
snoopdogg88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,111

Post#218 » by snoopdogg88 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:46 pm

I think if we can nail the buyout market like we did two seasons ago, and not like last season when we struck out, that can push this team over the top.

Add a couple of solid vet shooters to the bench in february and I like our chances.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,081

Post#219 » by Kobblehead » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:08 pm

At this point, it appears we need more F-sized defenders.

Marvin Williams
Jae Crowder
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

All could be potential buyout candidates.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#220 » by BullyKing » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:56 pm

Kobblehead wrote:At this point, it appears we need more F-sized defenders.

Marvin Williams
Jae Crowder
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

All could be potential buyout candidates.

Also half the Knicks roster
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers