OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Re: OT: Video Game Computers/Gadgets/Gizmos Thread 

Post#1461 » by humanrefutation » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:17 pm

Anyone play Cuphead? I saw that it got released for the Switch and I'm thinking about picking it up.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,002

Post#1462 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:20 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Anyone play Cuphead? I saw that it got released for the Switch and I'm thinking about picking it up.

Curious what others here say too. From my understanding it's a brutally difficult bullet hell style game? Never really been into those.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1463 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:42 pm

jschligs wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:No Man's Sky: Beyond is on sale for $35 on Xbox Live. Bought it over the weekend and it's been an absolute blast. I don't know what they all changed from the initial release 3 years ago, but apparently they fixed most of the major gripes that fans had. The crafting/grinding can get a bit tedious but once you get your ship up and running and build a few settlements, it's incredibly addictive and enjoyable.

The No Man's Sky launch will go down as one of the most disappointing launches in my gaming life. It was literally nothing like they promised, it was buggy, there was no multiplayer, your inventory was so incredibly small for a game that required tons of resources, getting off the first planet was ridiculously hard, no tutorials, it was just a mess.

That being said, the new update has been great. It's actually what the game promised to be just 3 years later. I give them immense amounts of credit for actually working to improve it instead of just calling it a wash. It's a game I hop on when I've exhausted my Overwatch play time.

I still think about how I really enjoyed it for about two days, said so on here, and by like the third day I was completely done with it and never went back. To be honest even as I've seen a number of positive things said about it over the last year or so, I don't know how they could have salvaged it to make a fun game. I couldn't even imagine how.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,665

Post#1464 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:45 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
jschligs wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:No Man's Sky: Beyond is on sale for $35 on Xbox Live. Bought it over the weekend and it's been an absolute blast. I don't know what they all changed from the initial release 3 years ago, but apparently they fixed most of the major gripes that fans had. The crafting/grinding can get a bit tedious but once you get your ship up and running and build a few settlements, it's incredibly addictive and enjoyable.

The No Man's Sky launch will go down as one of the most disappointing launches in my gaming life. It was literally nothing like they promised, it was buggy, there was no multiplayer, your inventory was so incredibly small for a game that required tons of resources, getting off the first planet was ridiculously hard, no tutorials, it was just a mess.

That being said, the new update has been great. It's actually what the game promised to be just 3 years later. I give them immense amounts of credit for actually working to improve it instead of just calling it a wash. It's a game I hop on when I've exhausted my Overwatch play time.

I still think about how I really enjoyed it for about two days, said so on here, and by like the third day I was completely done with it and never went back. To be honest even as I've seen a number of positive things said about it over the last year or so, I don't know how they could have salvaged it to make a fun game. I couldn't even imagine how.

This is what I think about every time a No Man's Sky update is released :lol:

Which is an indictment of the game - not you, mind you.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,613

Post#1465 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:51 pm

Pretty glad I didn't play it at launch then, cuz yeah, that would have probably dampened my enthusiasm going forward. Would definitely recommend revisiting it with all the improvements they made though. The ability to jump to whatever planet looks cool, build a settlement, jump back up to a space station, buy cool spaceship upgrades, and expand my own fleet of other spaceships is pretty much all I've ever wanted in a sci-fi video game.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1466 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:58 pm

So since my two favorite genres are looter shooters and Soulsborne games, Remnant: From the Ashes sounds right up my alley.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,969

Post#1467 » by humanrefutation » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:03 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:Anyone play Cuphead? I saw that it got released for the Switch and I'm thinking about picking it up.

Curious what others here say too. From my understanding it's a brutally difficult bullet hell style game? Never really been into those.

Yeah, the art looks pretty dope, though. I don't mind brutally difficult games as long as they're not entirely implausible. Celeste was one of those games in which I died thousands of times, but because the reload after each death was instant and the save points were generally pretty common, I could tolerate it.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,645

Post#1468 » by StickeeFingaz » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:23 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

I played it but never finished it. I’d say the art style alone is enough to warrant the purchase, I would just keep smiling while playing the game. It does feel satisfying when you beat a level/boss and the controls are really tight, game feels great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#FreeChuckDiesel
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1469 » by crkone » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:40 pm

Cuphead is just like any other game in that you need to recognize patterns to beat it.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,010

Post#1470 » by Siefer » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:58 pm

crkone wrote:Cuphead is just like any other game in that you need to recognize patterns to beat it.

That's, perhaps, a bit reductionist. Cuphead is great, but the dexterity ask of bullet hell games is generally pretty high.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1471 » by crkone » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Siefer wrote:
crkone wrote:Cuphead is just like any other game in that you need to recognize patterns to beat it.

That's, perhaps, a bit reductionist. Cuphead is great, but the dexterity ask of bullet hell games is generally pretty high.

I don't know. Once you get the patterns of the levels and the different phases of the bosses down, Cuphead isn't that bad. I think people just get overwhelmed with the initial gameplay and think it's impossible.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,101

Post#1472 » by FrieAaron » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:16 pm

I loved "Cuphead," and didn't find it all that difficult on normal. There were some bosses I had to retry 20-30 times on but what's nice about is because it's *only* boss fights, you're quickly retrying again. Similar to "Super Meat Boy."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1473 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:46 am

Read on Twitter
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#1474 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:02 am

Not sure what to play tonight, nothing is tickling my fancy at the moment.
#FreeChuckDiesel
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,659

Post#1475 » by BroncoBuck » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:00 am

Siefer wrote:

If you played the Mega Man games growing up it’s really not as difficult as it’s made out to be. Highly recommend it if those games are in your wheelhouse.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach

Post#1476 » by BroncoBuck » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:18 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:Not sure what to play tonight, nothing is tickling my fancy at the moment.

I’ve been spending the summer trying to clear out my backlog before the new 2K and Gears 5 release. I’m currently playing through Resident Evil 7 and Just Cause 3, Just Cause is the perfect game to pick up and play for short 15 minute sessions liberating areas to kill time. I had been playing the newer South Park game before that, but I finished all the non-DLC quests in it a week or so ago.

Multiplayer wise, I pretty much only play Smite, 2K and Gears online now so that’s made it much easier to knock out these single player games. I just needed a break from the battle royale and CoD/Battlefield genre.
Aaron It Out
General Manager
And1: 3,101

Post#1477 » by Aaron It Out » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:48 am

Just got an Nvidia Shield delivered today. Haven't had a ton of time to mess around with it yet, but it's pretty cool so far. I'm having issues getting any games to load, but I've been reading a bit and it seems like a common issue from a recent update. I just moved my gaming PC out of the living room, so this will be huge to be able to play a nice amount of games from my Steam collection.
EastSideBucksFan wrote:At some point this board is going to have to drop their stupid bullsht agendas and just enjoy the team for once.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM

Post#1478 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:02 am

BroncoBuck wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:Not sure what to play tonight, nothing is tickling my fancy at the moment.

I’ve been spending the summer trying to clear out my backlog before the new 2K and Gears 5 release. I’m currently playing through Resident Evil 7 and Just Cause 3, Just Cause is the perfect game to pick up and play for short 15 minute sessions liberating areas to kill time. I had been playing the newer South Park game before that, but I finished all the non-DLC quests in it a week or so ago.

Multiplayer wise, I pretty much only play Smite, 2K and Gears online now so that’s made it much easier to knock out these single player games. I just needed a break from the battle royale and CoD/Battlefield genre.

I played some Overwatch. I've been mainly playing battle royale games with some Battlefield V and Borderlands 2 sprinkled in there. I haven't bought FIFA in a few years, maybe I'll get that when it comes out.
#FreeChuckDiesel
FrieAaron
General Manager
And1: 5,101

Post#1479 » by FrieAaron » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:03 am

StickeeFingaz wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

I played some Overwatch. I've been mainly playing battle royale games with some Battlefield V and Borderlands 2 sprinkled in there. I haven't bought FIFA in a few years, maybe I'll get that when it comes out.

Bringing role queue to OW is the best patch they've ever had for the game from a competitive standpoint. Can't wait for it to hit quickplay.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach

Post#1480 » by BroncoBuck » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:02 pm

FrieAaron wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:
BroncoBuck wrote:

Bringing role queue to OW is the best patch they've ever had for the game from a competitive standpoint. Can't wait for it to hit quickplay.

I haven’t played Overwatch in quite a while, but that’s a tremendous addition. Smite did the same thing about a year ago and it’s made playing with randoms much more viable. You still get bums obviously, but you at least have clearly defined roles.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks