ImageImageImage

Dynasty League

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

bigfoot
Suns Forum Anti-Tank Commander
And1: 6,164

Re: Dynasty League 

Post#541 » by bigfoot » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:36 pm

FYI ... last season I also suggested we not do the snake draft this year. That was not addressed either.
bigfoot

Post#542 » by bigfoot » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:44 pm

MathiasPW wrote:I like the idea. My point is now it's a bad time to discuss this cause people are not around to express their opinions or make adjustments.

My point is I made suggestions last season to improve imbalance. Something as simple as dropping the snake draft (which I suggested last year) would be better than nothing. Also, I would guess the commissioner could send a message through Yahoo to all the managers about this. I'm sure folks are still reading emails.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#543 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:47 pm

bigfoot wrote:FYI ... last season I also suggested we not do the snake draft this year. That was not addressed either.

This is something I'd be fine with even though it's not good for me. I do think that makes sense with our format. It's also something we really wouldn't need to wait on because it doesn't impact strategy. Hell I might even vote for it.

If you or anyone has rule change idea's let's put it to a vote. I have my opinions but I believe in a doing what the majority of the league wants so if something changes I dont like I can live with it and adjust.

On the number of keepers thing I don't think anyone said we couldn't re-look at it but just mentioned that we just voted on that like a year ago and upped it to 8.

In general I don't view a dynasty league as something that should have absolute year to year parity, if you want that play a redraft league.

Bigfoot - TBH I don't think your team is screwed. You have some players and if either or both of Bamba or Porter hit you could really turn around quickly especially if you nail this draft. Plus the waiver wire is super important, I nabbed both Sabonis and Brogdon off that in prior years along with guys like Winslow and Bryant who really helped me down the stretch this year.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Stix
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,456

Post#544 » by Stix » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:13 pm

Can we open the Dynasty League so that we can set our Keepers?

I would also like to volunteer to commish the G-League this year, it was poorly handled last year.
bigfoot

Post#545 » by bigfoot » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:20 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
bigfoot wrote:FYI ... last season I also suggested we not do the snake draft this year. That was not addressed either.

This is something I'd be fine with even though it's not good for me. I do think that makes sense with our format. It's also something we really wouldn't need to wait on because it doesn't impact strategy. Hell I might even vote for it.

If you or anyone has rule change idea's let's put it to a vote. I have my opinions but I believe in a doing what the majority of the league wants so if something changes I dont like I can live with it and adjust.

On the number of keepers thing I don't think anyone said we couldn't re-look at it but just mentioned that we just voted on that like a year ago and upped it to 8.

In general I don't view a dynasty league as something that should have absolute year to year parity, if you want that play a redraft league.

Bigfoot - TBH I don't think your team is screwed. You have some players and if either or both of Bamba or Porter hit you could really turn around quickly especially if you nail this draft. Plus the waiver wire is super important, I nabbed both Sabonis and Brogdon off that along with guys like Winslow and Bryant who really helped me down the stretch.

I appreciate that we can even entertain the idea of changing the snake draft. That certainly helps but I view that I am 5 years out from being even a mid-tier team. Bamba is stuck behind Vucevic for the next three years and Porter Jr is far down on the depth chart and who knows about his injury. Point is, neither of them are starter material for three plus years. Add in Curry being 32 this year and it really doesn't seem very hopefully with Covington and Favors being my next best players.

Also, it would be nice if we could consider a waiver wire change. The team currently in last place should always have the first shot at a waiver wire player and then work up to the first place team. I got booted too many times last year when I wanted a player and he was claimed by someone else.

Neither of those changes have much impact but are better than nothing.
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#546 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:31 am

I'm game for ditching the snake draft, seems like a no-brainer.

Having a salary cap is probably something that would need to be implemented after this coming season if we're going to do it, just to give everyone a fair shot to make any adjustments. I'm not in love with the idea, but if someone wants to propose a system, I'm willing to listen.

As far a keepers go, would it be possible or practical to have the option of keeping 7 or 8 players?
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
MrMiyagi

Post#547 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:39 am

ZER0 wrote:Can we open the Dynasty League so that we can set our Keepers?

I would also like to volunteer to commish the G-League this year, it was poorly handled last year.

I think we might want to establish the draft order before we start setting out keepers (I'm not certain of the rules for missing games and the tier system). I also think there might be players looking to make moves before having to lock in keepers.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#548 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:50 am

bigfoot wrote:
TASTIC wrote:
bigfoot wrote:Thoughts on a salary cap for keepers in Dynasty???

Probably too late now.

We should have run an auction draft right off the bat...

I guess you could use Yahoo's values to determine the cost to keep a player this season, then enforce a cap starting from next year?

Means the draft would need to be auction, which means it has to be live - which is likely the reason we didn't do an auction in the first place

Not too late to do anything. I'm saying just a salary cap for keepers. The eight players you decide to keep must be under a certain league-wide cap using the current 2019/2020 salary of players. Don't worry about cap space for the draft or in-season acquisitions. Just when selecting the keepers. For example, the 8 keepers represent 57% of the roster (8 out of 14 players) then maybe those eight players should come in under the $110M NBA cap. Pretty simple. Something we could probably do on the honor system.

I don't think so...it penalizes people who have drafted and managed their team well. And real teams can keep their own players.

I do empathize with taking over a not so great team though. We should have probably had a 3 team draft that summer when 3 spots were open....but we had people drop out at different times and were searching one at a time.

We already (I believe) are not doing a snake this year which should help. Otherwise I wouldn't have minded doing a compensatory pick.

I also wouldn't mind leaving new team owners, particularly the worst ones (determined by some criteria) always have top or near top waiver position (not sure how you could set that up though).

I feel for you because I took over a dynasty fantasy football team in a 20 team league with 4 keepers (so you basically can only draft rookies each year) and the team I took over had Peyton Manning (who retired the summer before I took over). I basically just have an injured AJ Green every year. And one team somehow has Gurley, Barkley and David Johnson as 3 of his keepers.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#549 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:51 am

MrMiyagi wrote:I'm game for ditching the snake draft, seems like a no-brainer.

Having a salary cap is probably something that would need to be implemented after this coming season if we're going to do it, just to give everyone a fair shot to make any adjustments. I'm not in love with the idea, but if someone wants to propose a system, I'm willing to listen.

As far a keepers go, would it be possible or practical to have the option of keeping 7 or 8 players?

I think that's fine to keep 7 instead of 8 if you want. It would mostly just mean first dibs on players not drafted in the top 4 rounds and you'd get first crack on the remainders, but a good way to give the teams with fewer good keepers another edge.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#550 » by bwgood77 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:53 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:

Bigfoot - TBH I don't think your team is screwed. You have some players and if either or both of Bamba or Porter hit you could really turn around quickly especially if you nail this draft. Plus the waiver wire is super important, I nabbed both Sabonis and Brogdon off that in prior years along with guys like Winslow and Bryant who really helped me down the stretch this year.

Yeah, if Bamba and Porter take off while he adds a couple more top picks he could be golden in a couple years.

I think we did vote on the redraft vs keeper but I think less than half voted...I think redraft one, but it does make more sense, particularly without a full lottery for draft order.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,653

Post#551 » by Qwigglez » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:16 am

willing to trade Darren Collison for a 3rd round pick! He is like a top 60 fantasy player last year. Just doesn't fit my team. :D
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#552 » by MathiasPW » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:45 pm

Who is the commissioner for the league? Thought it was lilfishi. Can he e-mail people to vote on the snake draft? It seems it's pretty much a consensus, but everyone should be given a chance to say something, even if we discussed it last year.
bigfoot

Post#553 » by bigfoot » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:24 pm

MathiasPW wrote:Who is the commissioner for the league? Thought it was lilfishi. Can he e-mail people to vote on the snake draft? It seems it's pretty much a consensus, but everyone should be given a chance to say something, even if we discussed it last year.

I think Batsmasher is the commish
MrMiyagi

Post#554 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:45 pm

Qwigglez wrote:willing to trade Darren Collison for a 3rd round pick! He is like a top 60 fantasy player last year. Just doesn't fit my team. :D

Now there's a tempting offer. :lol:
MrMiyagi

Post#555 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:49 pm

I'll listen for some 2 for 1 type deals for Marc Gasol, Gordon Hayward, and Eric Bledsoe. Looking to get a little younger in KD's absence, so if you're a team reaching for a title with some good young players, make me an offer.
Kyler Murray
Suns Forum Fantasy GOD
And1: 690

Post#556 » by Kyler Murray » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:26 pm

everyone but ayton available, looking for help in bigs

in for premier too ofc
MathiasPW
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#557 » by MathiasPW » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:39 am

MrMiyagi wrote:I'll listen for some 2 for 1 type deals for Marc Gasol, Gordon Hayward, and Eric Bledsoe. Looking to get a little younger in KD's absence, so if you're a team reaching for a title with some good young players, make me an offer.
I'm in for Hayward. Want to do smt around Portis?
MrMiyagi

Post#558 » by MrMiyagi » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:37 am

MathiasPW wrote:
MrMiyagi wrote:I'll listen for some 2 for 1 type deals for Marc Gasol, Gordon Hayward, and Eric Bledsoe. Looking to get a little younger in KD's absence, so if you're a team reaching for a title with some good young players, make me an offer.
I'm in for Hayward. Want to do smt around Portis?

I'm not sure how much time Portis is going to get in NY with Randle, Knox, Robinson, and Mook, so I think I'll pass.
dmastro32
Rookie
And1: 502

Post#559 » by dmastro32 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:25 pm

I am in on both. When are keepers due?
Golanator
Sixth Man
And1: 1,376