ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,303

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1261 » by chrisab123 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:53 pm

Ernest wrote:Well having no captain last year really didn't work out so well. So if we want one this year, who can it be other than Smart? Can you make a guy captain on day 1? or year 3? Smart may well come off the bench though, but really it's just about fit not talent. Kemba and Tatum and maybe Brown should all be better than him, but I haven't seen in in green yet. Until someone consistantly outplays him in a Cs jersey, he is out best player in my book.

Well in my opinion Smart personifies being a Celtic. Rise and Grind type of toughness. However I would not have him as a captain since he has a tendency to do a lot of bonehead things and he's probably not going to start on this squad. Al would have been a good choice had he stayed. But perhaps you just give it to Kemba and let him run with it. Have Smart as the associate captain. Keep Jaylen and Tatum and especially Hayward away from it.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1262 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:16 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:It's ok, Prokorov is letting us know that Joe Harris had a better season that both Jaylen and Tatum last year....

This is my favorite clip of Joe Harris in last years playoffs [spoiler: it was him in every game]

Should fit right in with Kyrie.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,905

Post#1263 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:02 pm

chrisab123 wrote:
Ernest wrote:Well having no captain last year really didn't work out so well. So if we want one this year, who can it be other than Smart? Can you make a guy captain on day 1? or year 3? Smart may well come off the bench though, but really it's just about fit not talent. Kemba and Tatum and maybe Brown should all be better than him, but I haven't seen in in green yet. Until someone consistantly outplays him in a Cs jersey, he is out best player in my book.

Well in my opinion Smart personifies being a Celtic. Rise and Grind type of toughness. However I would not have him as a captain since he has a tendency to do a lot of bonehead things and he's probably not going to start on this squad. Al would have been a good choice had he stayed. But perhaps you just give it to Kemba and let him run with it. Have Smart as the associate captain. Keep Jaylen and Tatum and especially Hayward away from it.

Smart can be the Captain. You don't have to Start to be a Captain.
Make Kemba the Co-Captain.

Smart is the longest tenured. He should be the Captain, Bench or not.
He has the Grit to often bring us back into the Game.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,870

Post#1264 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:11 pm

Celtics Captain = Non Issue.

Stevens doesn't want a captain and I agree with him.
mwhis21
Analyst
And1: 1,065

Post#1265 » by mwhis21 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Celtics Captain = Non Issue.

Stevens doesn't want a captain and I agree with him.

Agreed. This is a classic "we need training camp to start ASAP" topic.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,685

Post#1266 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:07 pm

Read on Twitter
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,685

Post#1267 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:12 pm

Read on Twitter
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1268 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:55 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

i hope it stays with a company that will allow the logo to be in the celtics colors so it blends in with the jersey or that the celtics make this a pre-requisite for any deal.

don't want a blue or red or something crazy like logo on our jerseys. the GE one while it took getting used to at least blended in somewhat nicely.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1269 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:39 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

i hope it stays with a company that will allow the logo to be in the celtics colors so it blends in with the jersey or that the celtics make this a pre-requisite for any deal.

don't want a blue or red or something crazy like logo on our jerseys. the GE one while it took getting used to at least blended in somewhat nicely.

If we're lucky, no one will buy the space and we get a whole season without an ad on it.

But yeah- the Bulls new sponsor is awful. Teal logo on a red/white jersey is such an eyesore. Hopefully our new sponsor allows us to change the colors.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,314

Post#1270 » by Gant » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:40 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

No corporate logo would be best, but his is great. GE is more than just incompetently run. They dumped tons of poisonous PCBs in rivers in the northeast and not heeded the communities affected by it. This is not a company that should be on any uniform, let alone the Celtics.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#1271 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:01 pm

Celtics themselves should buy advertising rights so they can put the Celtics logo on their jersey instead of some God awful corporate logo.
*Insert witty signature here.*
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#1272 » by SLCceltic » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:04 am

Wahlburgers should be the logo
ROYALGREEN
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1273 » by cloverleaf » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:14 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
GoCeltics123 wrote:
Read on Twitter

If we're lucky, no one will buy the space and we get a whole season without an ad on it.

But yeah- the Bulls new sponsor is awful. Teal logo on a red/white jersey is such an eyesore. Hopefully our new sponsor allows us to change the colors.

Bankruptcy is apparently a real possibility for GE.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,982

Post#1274 » by jfs1000d » Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:49 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

GE isn't going to go bankruptcy. Power is killing them and they are loaded with debt from their bad deals there. They have to write down their debt. They already wrote off a ton of that deal.

That report last week was BS. Their are thoughts that the guy who said there was fraud and that GE was headed to bankruptcy did that to benefit a shortseller. The SEC is going to investigate.

Markopolos disclosed that an unnamed hedge fund paid him for access to his GE report before it was released, revealing that he will be paid through a percentage of the trading profits. Asked about the potential conflict of interest, he told CNBC "I need to get paid. I have a family to support."

Nice people to knockdown the stock 11 percent so the shortseller can hit his mark. SMH. The stock market is the big fraud. I would be more worried that GE gets bought, breaks up, or merges and spins off than bankruptcy.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1275 » by Ernest » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:49 am

Anyone know how much it costs to buy the logo space on a teams jersey? If everyone here kicks in 10 or 20k are we close?
mwhis21
Analyst
And1: 1,065

Post#1276 » by mwhis21 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:00 pm

Ernest wrote:Anyone know how much it costs to buy the logo space on a teams jersey? If everyone here kicks in 10 or 20k are we close?

I don't think it's as much as people would think depending on the team. I heard at one point as little as 3-5 million per year to I'm sure 10-15 million for teams like the Warriors/Lakers.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,659

Post#1277 » by NuckyPowell » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:29 pm

Snagged this off another board. I had never seen this, but man, Tremont Waters can really play. His NCAA highlights. Super impressive.

cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1278 » by cloverleaf » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:15 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

GE isn't going to go bankruptcy. Power is killing them and they are loaded with debt from their bad deals there. They have to write down their debt. They already wrote off a ton of that deal.

That report last week was BS. Their are thoughts that the guy who said there was fraud and that GE was headed to bankruptcy did that to benefit a shortseller. The SEC is going to investigate.

Markopolos disclosed that an unnamed hedge fund paid him for access to his GE report before it was released, revealing that he will be paid through a percentage of the trading profits. Asked about the potential conflict of interest, he told CNBC "I need to get paid. I have a family to support."

Nice people to knockdown the stock 11 percent so the shortseller can hit his mark. SMH. The stock market is the big fraud. I would be more worried that GE gets bought, breaks up, or merges and spins off than bankruptcy.

Charles Ortel is not in it for short-selling or payoffs.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,668

Post#1279 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:55 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

People are posting as if shortselling is something deceptive or bad. Wrong. It's a perfectly reasonable tactic, if you think a stock is selling for more than it's worth. The closest thing to exceptions to that observation are probably:
-- The whole stock market has a regulatory doublethink along the lines that you trade based on superior information and understanding, but there's something unethical about having superior information and understanding. Short-selling cases like this one are probably more visible and spectacular than cases of buying long based on superior knowledge. That said, I've made 3-10X on long investments multiple times, whereas the biggest possible gain on a short sale, by definition is a 100% return on your money.
-- If you wanted to cause a QUICK fraudulent move in the market, and you somehow thought you could conceal your actions from regulators, it's easier to cause a sudden drop in a stock than a sudden spike.

And by the way -- one of the best pieces of investigatory "journalism" I've done in my career (this was 25 years ago) started with a short-seller's tip. The guy had figured out that Sybase System 10 was horribly buggy. I broke the story; Gartner Research got wind of my work and piled on; Sybase threatened us both with libel actions; we told them to stuff it; and the company crashed accordingly.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1280 » by cloverleaf » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:05 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:

People are posting as if shortselling is something deceptive or bad. Wrong. It's a perfectly reasonable tactic, if you think a stock is selling for more than it's worth. The closest thing to exceptions to that observation are probably:
-- The whole stock market has a regulatory doublethink along the lines that you trade based on superior information and understanding, but there's something unethical about having superior information and understanding. Short-selling cases like this one are probably more visible and spectacular than cases of buying long based on superior knowledge. That said, I've made 3-10X on long investments multiple times, whereas the biggest possible gain on a short sale, by definition is a 100% return on your money.
-- If you wanted to cause a QUICK fraudulent move in the market, and you somehow thought you could conceal your actions from regulators, it's easier to cause a sudden drop in a stock than a sudden spike.

And by the way -- one of the best pieces of investigatory "journalism" I've done in my career (this was 25 years ago) started with a short-seller's tip. The guy had figured out that Sybase System 10 was horribly buggy. I broke the story; Gartner Research got wind of my work and piled on; Sybase threatened us both with libel actions; we told them to stuff it; and the company crashed accordingly.

Sybase? There's a blast from the past. And like most scavengers, short sellers have a place in the ecosystem. But the OP isn't entirely out of line with implying that short sellers sometimes talk their positions down in the media--for obvious reasons.

Return to Boston Celtics