ImageImageImageImageImage

Joe Tsai becomes Nets & Barclays majority owner for $3B; David Levy hired as new CEO.

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: Joe Tsai to buy all majority of the Nets for $2.3 billion 

Post#41 » by gigantes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:34 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I'm thinking moreso about the demographics shift and basically how millennials and gen z have been royally **** ed over and are watching one of the most, if not the most, corrupt and cruel administrations in the country's history coupled with a congress that has been stonewalled by Mitch McConnell. I'm optimistic enough to believe that a serious correction is on its way next November...

Ah yeah, good point.

The traditionally apathetic really do need to take a break from their consoles and get over their good ol' "both sides are the same" chestnut. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I see what you're saying about hopefully them waking up and getting more or less permanently engaged. Makes me wonder a lot about Sanders ability to tip the scales in this election and the last one.

re: the "centrism" thing,
I'm kind of at odds with America on that, since my definition of centrism is more like the European one-- i.e. strong regard for facts & science, more checks & balances against extremism, universal healthcare, general desire against creating deep wealth disparity, etc. Basic first-world centrism.

In the US of course, the practical definition has drifted far to the right of that from where it was, post WWII. That's a recipe for short term personal gain and long-term disaster down the road IMO. So in a way I'm battling against my fellow Americans to take back the term. But Americans can be complete headcases in terms of awareness, like how we're still such general numbskulls at not understanding what an absolute disaster trying to defend slavery was, and not understanding how it impacted the country and a peoples so harshly.

Just... lala-land. A chronic inability or refusal to not recognise reality, I guess. Most modern American 'centrists' sound to me like they're barely paying attention, frankly.

I say this in full seriousness: America will die a horrible death unless we remove them from having any power in government.

I certainly hope it works out. I'm also scared of how it's pretty much nothing but monied interests running that party nowadays, and monied interests will look after their own interests first, and won't go down easy, that's for sure.

Seems like they're also at the 'win by any means necessary' stage and/or 'if I can't have it anymore, then I'm going scorched earth.' That's equally scary to me.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,828

Re: Joe Tsai to buy all majority of the Nets for $2.3 billion 

Post#42 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:20 pm

gigantes wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I'm thinking moreso about the demographics shift and basically how millennials and gen z have been royally **** ed over and are watching one of the most, if not the most, corrupt and cruel administrations in the country's history coupled with a congress that has been stonewalled by Mitch McConnell. I'm optimistic enough to believe that a serious correction is on its way next November...

Ah yeah, good point.

The traditionally apathetic really do need to take a break from their consoles and get over their good ol' "both sides are the same" chestnut. Maybe I'm being too cynical, but I see what you're saying about hopefully them waking up and getting more or less permanently engaged. Makes me wonder a lot about Sanders ability to tip the scales in this election and the last one.

re: the "centrism" thing,
I'm kind of at odds with America on that, since my definition of centrism is more like the European one-- i.e. strong regard for facts & science, more checks & balances against extremism, universal healthcare, general desire against creating deep wealth disparity, etc. Basic first-world centrism.

In the US of course, the practical definition has drifted far to the right of that from where it was, post WWII. That's a recipe for short term personal gain and long-term disaster down the road IMO. So in a way I'm battling against my fellow Americans to take back the term. But Americans can be complete headcases in terms of awareness, like how we're still such general numbskulls at not understanding what an absolute disaster trying to defend slavery was, and not understanding how it impacted the country and a peoples so harshly.

Just... lala-land. A chronic inability or refusal to not recognise reality, I guess. Most modern American 'centrists' sound to me like they're barely paying attention, frankly.

I say this in full seriousness: America will die a horrible death unless we remove them from having any power in government.

I certainly hope it works out. I'm also scared of how it's pretty much nothing but monied interests running that party nowadays, and monied interests will look after their own interests first, and won't go down easy, that's for sure.

Seems like they're also at the 'win by any means necessary' stage and/or 'if I can't have it anymore, then I'm going scorched earth.' That's equally scary to me.

Centrists are usually privileged men who aren't impacted by any of what is happening here. Anyone who can sit here and say that "both sides are equally bad" when we are dealing with racism, fascism, and outright violent terrorism is either braindead, a closet supporter of it, or so out of touch with reality that they aren't even remotely coherent. Most of the time I think they're playing obtuse because they are sympathetic to far right wing ideology but don't have the balls to come out of the closet with it.

If your response to "Separating children from their families and putting them in cages is wrong" is "But, on the other hand...", you are a **** ed up human being. Period.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: Joe Tsai becomes Nets & Barclays full majority owner for $3 billion; Brett Yormark resigns. 

Post#43 » by gigantes » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:32 pm

Don't underestimate the basic lack of motivation to understand complex, unsettling issues, as well as the classic human aversion to ambiguity. Convenient answers and/or ignorance are just so much more comforting.

I think for most people it comes down to hoarding their resources, both mentally and in terms of spending energy and being willing to suffer. How many people want to go through that unless there's a promised reward on the other end?

Understanding the actual history of this country is some long, unsettling work when you're brought up from a standpoint of America being 'great.' Aside from the costs I mentioned above, I think most people also have to be willing to go a bit rogue... to unplug from a certain level of social connections and easy support. You'll lose some friends and make some enemies, cause yourself other problems, and stuff like that. We're not wired to do that casually.

It's all very well to say "this sh-t is so obvious, how the hell can you even *dream* of giving a pass to the Trump admin after X, Y and Z?" when you already came to those conclusions long ago.

I'm not from the States originally, so it was maybe easier for me. But I've also had a lifelong health issue that kind of slowed me down and likely encouraged me to think about things more than my peers. Back in high school I was already saying to myself 'this whole situation doesn't add up, and is just too absurd from any number of directions.'

But even for most urban Americans, I would think realisations about how deeply troubled the country really is tend to come later, and probably involve a healthy amount of sorrow and suffering. Something like that, anyway.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Joe Tsai becomes Nets & Barclays full majority owner for $3 billion; Brett Yormark resigns. 

Post#44 » by Paradise » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:15 pm

As expected, Nets will hire former Turner Sports president David Levy as CEO replacing Brett Yormark.

Read on Twitter
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Re: Joe Tsai becomes Nets & Barclays majority owner for $3B; David Levy hired as new CEO. 

Post#45 » by kamaze » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 pm

Tsai's first big move Bret Yormark is no more.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,790

Re: Joe Tsai becomes Nets & Barclays majority owner for $3B; David Levy hired as new CEO. 

Post#46 » by Rich Rane » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:04 pm

Sale Of Nets To Joe Tsai Unanimously Approved By NBA Governors

The NBA Board of Governors has unanimously approved the sale of the Brooklyn Nets to Joe Tsai.

“We are thrilled that Joe Tsai is becoming the principal owner and governor of the Brooklyn Nets,” said NBA Commissioner Adam Silver. “In addition to being a passionate basketball fan, Joe is one of China’s preeminent internet, media and e-commerce pioneers and his expertise will be invaluable in the league’s efforts to grow the game in China and other global markets. I would also like to thank Mikhail Prokhorov and Dmitry Razumov for their enormous contributions to the Brooklyn community, the Nets organization and the league. They leave a thriving team, well-positioned for the future.”
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255414/Sale-Of-Nets-To-Joe-Tsai-Unanimously-Approved-By-NBA-Governors
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#47 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:26 am

Read on Twitter

Return to Brooklyn Nets