dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#1581 » by dangermouse » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:26 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Encouraging, but please dont come back too early and totally ruin your career!
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1582 » by gambitx777 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:39 am

People on the main page seem to beof the opinion that wall died or something. I'll look forward to seeing him play again

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Shanghai Kid
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1583 » by Shanghai Kid » Wed Aug 7, 2019 12:34 pm

gambitx777 wrote:People on the main page seem to beof the opinion that wall died or something. I'll look forward to seeing him play again

People desperately want Wall to be doomed while wanting Durant to come back as an elite player.
TheBabyMaker
Starter
And1: 852

Post#1584 » by TheBabyMaker » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:18 am

gambitx777 wrote:People on the main page seem to beof the opinion that wall died or something. I'll look forward to seeing him play again

Because of money, Money they have not invested in. Wall has done more than they think with a **** roster most. I say give him one more shot with Beal or send Beal to LaX and not the Clippers.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1585 » by gambitx777 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:15 am

Like for real, a better gm could have gotten Wall to the finals.

pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#1586 » by pcbothwel » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:55 pm

Tick Tock fellas... Just wait. I'll say it until ears bleed. In 12 months I think the market drastically changes for Wall. I think he looks healthy and slim, while the worst FA class in a decade would have freshly mentioned contracts that will make the Mahinmi signing look like a bargain.
Just wait until a 31 y/o Derozan opts out of 28M to sign a 3/125M and old folks like Gallo, Dragic, and Lowry all get big money.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1588 » by gambitx777 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:02 am

hooping in flip flops, on and old black top court that probably isn't level or even. dear god get john away from these people.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,353

Post#1589 » by Kanyewest » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Shanghai Kid wrote:

People desperately want Wall to be doomed while wanting Durant to come back as an elite player.

1) Durant has put together around 10 seasons better than Wall's best season. Wall has less margin for error in terms of declining. Durant was arguably the best player in the NBA last season. Wall has sustained more injuries. His game is more reliant on speed. And even before his injury, it looked like Wall was not going to be worth his contract.

2) People are assuming Durant can at worst be a good standstill shooter. While Kobe never regained his shooting form after his Achilles, Durant is probably regarded as a better 3 point shooter . Wall has to become a better 3 point shooter and his improvement has been sporadic. Plus the fact that Durant is 7 feet tall will make it him easier to convert look

3) Brooklyn appears to know what it is doing. While I am hopeful of Rui, the Nets front office and coaching appears to be significantly better than Washington until proven otherwise at picking and developing players. Ultimately, people are assuming that the Nets will have better talent (although me personally, I would rather have Beal than Kyrie).

4) I would say writers are generally concerned about Durant, most predictions I have seen are that Durant will never win a title with the Nets.

That being said, I think Wall will comeback motivated and I am rooting for him to succeed. I think he will get back a large amount of his quickness. But I'm skeptical he will ever be worth his contract. I probably have PTSD from Gilbert's contract. Maybe he can play himself out of the worst contract in the league- a Wizards tradition for every decade (Juwan Howard, Gilbert Arenas, John Wall). Maybe he has Westbrook like genes, although again I'm skeptical because Wall has already been banged up the last 2 seasons.

As this is an appreciation thread, I do appreciate that Wall is trying to stay in shape and has kept it off apparently with a Keto diet. I am skeptical of a keto diet longterm but who knows- I heard people swear by it and maybe that fuels Wall's comeback.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1590 » by nate33 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:22 pm

Kanyewest wrote:As this is an appreciation thread, I do appreciate that Wall is trying to stay in shape and has kept it off apparently with a Keto diet. I am skeptical of a keto diet longterm but who knows- I heard people swear by it and maybe that fuels Wall's comeback.

One significant benefit of a keto diet is that it tends to significantly reduce inflammation. That could really help a professional athlete entering his 30's.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1591 » by Kanyewest » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:02 pm

nate33 wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:As this is an appreciation thread, I do appreciate that Wall is trying to stay in shape and has kept it off apparently with a Keto diet. I am skeptical of a keto diet longterm but who knows- I heard people swear by it and maybe that fuels Wall's comeback.

One significant benefit of a keto diet is that it tends to significantly reduce inflammation. That could really help a professional athlete entering his 30's.

I guess we will see. Right now the reported players that I have seen on keto are LeBron/Melo in 2014, and the 2013 Lakers. Hope it works out for Wall- some diet I suppose is better than none.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1592 » by Wizardspride » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1593 » by Wizardspride » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1594 » by Wizardspride » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1595 » by JWizmentality » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Seems to have his head on straight. Not that he has ever been an issue off the court with this org. I'm sure members of the Gortat fan club would disagree. Anyhow, I look forward to seeing him back on the court.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#1596 » by DCZards » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:25 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=19

Great article. Really provides a lot of insight into the focus that Wall and the Zards organization are putting on his rehab.
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,912

Post#1597 » by CobraCommander » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:57 pm

nate33 wrote:

Nate is wise....the tough part is for most people Keto is nearly impossible to adhere to. With JW having a chief he should be able to manage this....but with all of his traveling I can absolutely assure you that unless he isnt eating out....he is not in ketosis when eating out. I know this from experience its impossible to know what knocks you out of ketosis if you are not preparing your own food. Being 80% in and 20% out could hurt him when he gets back to playing...
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#1598 » by Kanyewest » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:48 am

Watson sent an autographed jersey to Wall.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#1599 » by prime1time » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:47 am

It'll be interesting to see how John plays when he comes back. I think Rui's ability to create shots for himself will finally push John to a much more natural role. John's a good pg, but he was never going to be a major scorer on a championship level team. Having 2 players that can create in the half-court consistently - Beal and Rui, should ideally push John to a different role. One where he doesn't have to force shots, but rather instead takes only the best shots. Personally I hope he takes the entire year off and comes back with a new skillset.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1600 » by nate33 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:44 pm

prime1time wrote:It'll be interesting to see how John plays when he comes back. I think Rui's ability to create shots for himself will finally push John to a much more natural role. John's a good pg, but he was never going to be a major scorer on a championship level team. Having 2 players that can create in the half-court consistently - Beal and Rui, should ideally push John to a different role. One where he doesn't have to force shots, but rather instead takes only the best shots. Personally I hope he takes the entire year off and comes back with a new skillset.

I'm not holding my breath.

I think Wall is what he is. He's a great ball-dominant pass-first PG, but he hasn't really added any elements to his game in his 10 year career. Despite his size and length, he has never been a great rebounder or man defender. He has never developed a reliable outside shot. And he never developed an aptitude for playing off the ball. The one main source of improvement has been our slow transition to a 4-out and then a 5-out system. With the right spacing, nobody seems to be able to keep Wall from getting to the rim and that's why he played so well in 2016-17 and in the playoffs in 2017-18.

But even though he thrives in a 5-out system, I don't know if his current style of play is going to have much synergy with the rest of the team. We've seen in the past, in the regular season at least, that running the offense through Sato and Beal seems to work just as well. Basically, a cheap guy like Sato is nearly as effective as Wall because ball movement is better and Beal gets more touches.

Wall needs to become a rich man's Sato (or a late-career Jason Kidd). Play off ball a lot more effectively, hit catch-and-shoot 3's and make backdoor cuts, and be a terror on defense and the glass. Do all that while also pushing tempo and utilizing his natural open-court skill on the fast break. I just don't think it will happen.

Return to Washington Wizards