ImageImageImageImageImage

Rui Hachimura

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,846

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#421 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:05 am

I think he might have been mocking me....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#422 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:18 am

He’s hitting step back threes now. So yeah..

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Of course Rui will have to recalibrate some of his moves to NBA comp, but he has all the fundamentals of a 3-level scorer, as well as the physical frame.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#423 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:34 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:He’s hitting step back threes now. So yeah..

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Of course Rui will have to recalibrate some of his moves to NBA comp, but he has all the fundamentals of a 3-level scorer, as well as the physical frame.

It's amazing how his game looks so different than it was at Gonzaga. He would almost always try to take it to the hole at Gonzaga, and his jump shot looked very flat whenever I saw him shoot jumpers. Now, his jumper looks almost feathery soft. It's like watching 2 different players.

Maybe it is time to print the RuiNation t-shirts. :dontknow:
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#424 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:00 pm

What you need to do, Ruz -- & please don't hesitate! -- is register rui-nation.com & put up a wordpress-based website. Then think about how much $$ you're going to make selling tee shirts, mugs, etc.!! Go do it right now!

I like dreamhost.com -- do the whole thing there.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#425 » by nuposse04 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:44 pm

His shoot form does look a bit smoother. Shot selection isn't what I'd call ideal still, but I'm optimistic Dean Oliver can help there. I'm curious to see how, if any, he grows on team defense in his rookie campaign.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#426 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:00 pm

payitforward wrote:What you need to do, Ruz -- & please don't hesitate! -- is register rui-nation.com & put up a wordpress-based website. Then think about how much $$ you're going to make selling tee shirts, mugs, etc.!! Go do it right now!

I'll give it a shot, and if it makes any money, we're partners - because I never would have thought to try this.

Edit - I got it parked - probably have to fix it up when I get some time.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#427 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:45 pm

Well done. I'll be happy to host it for you on my account at dreamhost. Doesn't add any cost for me to host an additional domain. We'd have to tell the net's domain name servers where to find it.... ok, not for discussion here.

Suggest you spend a little time thinking about what you'd like to do with the site, take some notes, then pm me (when you do -- let me know in this thread; otherwise I'm likely not to notice that I've got a new pm).
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#428 » by prime1time » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:21 pm

Another good game from Rui. 23, 7 and 5 for Rui vs. Argentina. 8/13 from 2, 1/3 from 3. The funny thing about Rui is that as he continues to play well, his detractors will just continue to move the goal posts. Argentina is ranked 5th in the world. And Rui just had a great game against them without help. I wouldn't be surprised if Rui has a really big game like 40+. He's that good offensively. Looking forward to the video.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#429 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:09 pm

Rui Hachimura Full Highlights vs Argentina - 23 Pts (9/16 FG, 1/3 3PT, 4/6 FT), 7 Rebs, 5 Asts, 1 Stl in 30 minutes!

https://streamable.com/rx0c3
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,453

Post#430 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Rui Hachimura Full Highlights vs Argentina - 23 Pts (9/16 FG, 1/3 3PT, 4/6 FT), 7 Rebs, 5 Asts, 1 Stl in 30 minutes!

Hachi’- mu’-ra hop!

Love the play by play in the clip.
In Rizzo we trust
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#431 » by JWizmentality » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:25 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Rui Hachimura Full Highlights vs Argentina - 23 Pts (9/16 FG, 1/3 3PT, 4/6 FT), 7 Rebs, 5 Asts, 1 Stl in 30 minutes!

This kid is going to be special with a couple years of NBA seasoning.

#RuiNation
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Post#432 » by closg00 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:28 pm

He is not afraid to mix-it-up in the post, good stuff
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#433 » by nate33 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:53 pm

That catch-and-shoot 3-pointer at 36 seconds had picture-perfect form. Not only that, but it was a pretty quick release with a very high release point. I also like that he shot it without hesitation.

There's going to be nothing wrong with this young man's 3-ball in the NBA. He might be limited to corner 3's in his rookie year, but he'll hit them from above the break in time.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#434 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:16 pm

nate33 wrote:

That catch-and-shoot 3-pointer at 36 seconds had picture-perfect form. Not only that, but it was a pretty quick release with a very high release point. I also like that he shot it without hesitation.

There's going to be nothing wrong with this kid's 3-ball in the NBA. He might be limited to corner 3's in his rookie year, but he'll hit them from above the break in time.

Yes! That shot was pure as water . Shooting is the easiest thing for players to work on, idk why so many people were skeptical that Rui (who already showed good touch from midrange and FTs) wouldn't be able to expand out to NBA range. Otto had the same issue coming in and look at him now.

Really wish the video was more complete, I would like to see how he got the 5 assists. Playmaking was the other major knock on him offensively. If Rui as a rookie looks competent as a floor-spacer and a playmaking PF, he'll be well on his way to outperforming his draft position.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#435 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:19 pm

payitforward wrote:Well done. I'll be happy to host it for you on my account at dreamhost. Doesn't add any cost for me to host an additional domain. We'd have to tell the net's domain name servers where to find it.... ok, not for discussion here.

Suggest you spend a little time thinking about what you'd like to do with the site, take some notes, then pm me (when you do -- let me know in this thread; otherwise I'm likely not to notice that I've got a new pm).

Absolutely - you are welcome to do anything you want with it - since I have no clue what I'm doing. :) Not to mention, I trust you.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#436 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

There's going to be nothing wrong with this kid's 3-ball in the NBA. He might be limited to corner 3's in his rookie year, but he'll hit them from above the break in time.

Yes! That shot was pure as water . Shooting is the easiest thing for players to work on, idk why so many people were skeptical that Rui (who already showed good touch from midrange and FTs) wouldn't be able to expand out to NBA range. Otto had the same issue coming in and look at him now.

Really wish the video was more complete, I would like to see how he got the 5 assists. Playmaking was the other major knock on him offensively. If Rui as a rookie looks competent as a floor-spacer and a playmaking PF, he'll be well on his way to outperforming his draft position.

Hey, people were criticizing Kawhi Leonard's play-making/distributing in the NBA finals, and he's the MVP, so it's ok if Rui isn't particularly good at it... yet. I was very skeptical about him ever being a 3 point shooter at Gonzaga - glad to see I'm probably wrong.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#437 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Hey, people were criticizing Kawhi Leonard's play-making/distributing in the NBA finals, and he's the MVP, so it's ok if Rui isn't particularly good at it... yet. I was very skeptical about him ever being a 3 point shooter at Gonzaga - glad to see I'm probably wrong.

I thought Leonard displayed almost a juvenile level of tunnel vision at times.. it's his one weakness as a superstar that people rarely talk about. But of course, it doesn't matter because he's so dominant as an isolation scorer and can easily score over 2-3 defenders.

Hachimura may not be so dominant that he can afford to play with tunnel vision, so I do think it's important that he develops some level of playmaking. The main thing for me was his 3pt shooting though, without that his career wouldn't go anywhere.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,290

Post#438 » by dobrojim » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 pm

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:What you need to do, Ruz -- & please don't hesitate! -- is register rui-nation.com & put up a wordpress-based website. Then think about how much $$ you're going to make selling tee shirts, mugs, etc.!! Go do it right now!

I'll give it a shot, and if it makes any money, we're partners - because I never would have thought to try this.

Edit - I got it parked - probably have to fix it up when I get some time.

Some folks go other places re Ruination

https://www.stonebrewing.com/beer/year-round-releases/stone-ruination-double-ipa-20-sans-filtre
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,255

Post#439 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:14 pm

23 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, and this slam for Rui today...

Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#440 » by Illmatic12 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Yes! That shot was pure as water . Shooting is the easiest thing for players to work on, idk why so many people were skeptical that Rui (who already showed good touch from midrange and FTs) wouldn't be able to expand out to NBA range. Otto had the same issue coming in and look at him now.

I thought Leonard displayed almost a juvenile level of tunnel vision at times.. it's his one weakness as a superstar that people rarely talk about. But of course, it doesn't matter because he's so dominant as an isolation scorer and can easily score over 2-3 defenders.

Hachimura may not be so dominant that he can afford to play with tunnel vision, so I do think it's important that he develops some level of playmaking. The main thing for me was his 3pt shooting though, without that his career wouldn't go anywhere.

I wanted to take a closer look at the non-scoring elements of Rui's game vs Argentina so I dug into the full game highlights (still not as good as actual game footage but I couldn't find a replay)

Here he shows a quick reaction to a deflection, immediately starts the break with his head up and makes a great left-handed pass on the move. On time, on target:

https://streamable.com/7jtnf

A poor ballhandling turnover driving into traffic:

https://streamable.com/t6up3

Well executed two-man game in the high post (almost Nene-esque) that ends with him swishing a three. Next he grabs the ball off the rim, evades the defender with right to left crossover and pitches it to a teammate for a 3pt assist

https://streamable.com/95tmq

Gets the ball on the wing, quick in-and-out move - subtle, to occupy both defenders with his dribble - then makes a lookaway bounce pass to a streaking cutter for a layup. Nice play:

https://streamable.com/ky30s

Calls for a postup near the baseline while reading the help defense. Patiently accepts the double team and makes the right pass for an open 3pter:

https://streamable.com/4u6ml

Rebound and quick hit ahead pass:

https://streamable.com/dl1i6

Poor defensive play, miscommunicating a switch and leaving his man. Next play he pump fakes and assists a three:

https://streamable.com/jfkbd

Overall I was encouraged with a lot of what I saw . Hachimura seems to be improving on his court awareness/tunnel vision criticisms from his scouting reports. He shows upside as a ballhandler + decision-maker, granted he's not Lebron James out there by any means but he is doing a better job of reading help defenders and making the right play. He also showed that his handle in traffic still needs work, and defensively must be more aggressive in contesting shots (it seems like he knows he's the one player on his team who can't afford to get into foul trouble - but that won't be the case with the Wizards)

Return to Washington Wizards