Clippers hire Billups as full-time analyst

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Clippers hire Billups as full-time analyst 

Post#1 » by flow » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:29 pm

He'll serve Greg Kelser's role in LA.

Frankly, I wish the Pistons had hired Chauncey to replace Kelser.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2019-08-16/chauncey-billups-clippers-broadcast-analyst

hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Re: Clippers hire Billups as full-time analyst 

Post#2 » by hoophabit » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:41 pm

Chauncey would do a fine job, but I also like Kelser a lot. George is getting a little 'past it,' but we've been fortunate to have two such classy individuals calling our games.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#3 » by flow » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:53 pm

hoophabit wrote:Chauncey would do a fine job, but I also like Kelser a lot. George is getting a little 'past it,' but we've been fortunate to have two such classy individuals calling our games.

I never have enjoyed Kelser on the mic. Know I'm in the minority.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#4 » by Kilo » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:37 pm

Good way to get close to Ballmer and West to eventually transition into FO. Chauncey doesn't want to put in the work to do it by accepting a lesser role and working his way up.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#5 » by The_Irony » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:13 pm

Kilo wrote:Good way to get close to Ballmer and West to eventually transition into FO. Chauncey doesn't want to put in the work to do it by accepting a lesser role and working his way up.

Interesting take. Steve Kerr retired in 03 and immediately went to TNT until 2006. He was a "consultant" for the Suns at the same time starting in 04 and left broadcasting to become GM in 07

He can do both if he wants, how do you know he doesnt?
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#6 » by dVs33 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:01 am

Billups will be great.
As far as Detroit's current Duo, I think Detroit is very lucky compared to most teams. There are some horrible commentary teams out there.

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#7 » by Pharaoh » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:29 am

Dude should be in our FO.

As far as I'm aware we have no former Piston players who contributed to anything of note working in the organisation. That's poor

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#8 » by Manocad » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:24 pm

dVs33 wrote:Billups will be great.
As far as Detroit's current Duo, I think Detroit is very lucky compared to most teams. There are some horrible commentary teams out there.

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app

Yeah, you can say what you want about not being terribly fond of Kelser’s commentary or delivery, and Blaha is certainly getting a little long in the tooth, but you need to consider them in comparative terms. I’ve listened to a LOT of local and national broadcasting teams over the years, and Kelser and Blaha are as good or better than any other local duos I’ve heard relative to their knowledge of the game and objectivity. There are other local duos out there who are more biased and less knowledgeable than your average Realgm homer.

There have been some outstanding national duos over the years that I’d certainly put over Kelser/Blaha, but that’s why they have national gigs.

Oh, and Joe Buck would never announce another game again if it were up to me. No relation to this topic obviously; just sayin’.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 180

Post#9 » by JNewton » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:24 pm

It would be cool to have him on the Pistons broadcasts, but Kelser still does a pretty good job and I suspect he gets paid more than FSN Detroit would be willing to give anyways. Blaha's best days are behind him but he's earned the right to go out on his own terms and I don't see any apparent successors there either.

Pharaoh wrote:Dude should be in our FO.

As far as I'm aware we have no former Piston players who contributed to anything of note working in the organisation. That's poor

Eh, I'm alright with that. It's a shame Joe Dumars seems to have a grudge against the team/organization these days (not attending any of the Palace Final Season or Bad Boys reunion events.) It'd be nice to avoid that with the Going to Work group.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:23 pm

I have the league pass, so I get visiting local announcers on Piston games all the time.

I’m not wowed by our guys, but definitely think they’re better than more than half of the others.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#11 » by DBC10 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:27 pm

Blaha is definitely past his prime, but at least he isn't completely senile like Marv Albert.

Maybe once we finally break as a team and rebuild and reboot the brand, it'll make way for new announcers. Which the rebooting coincidentally should've been done once we moved into LCA/downtown, but I digress. Local guys tend to be lifers a lot of times, so I don't have major issues with them.

LAC however should've done that a long time ago. So, good for Chauncey.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,059

Post#12 » by Laimbeer » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:53 pm

So Chauncey was booted off the national stage and is a local broadcaster? Ouch. I wasn't certain why he left ESPN, thought he was pretty good.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,377

Post#13 » by Billl » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:16 am

Hope it works out well for chauncey. Wish he could be here in some capacity. There are just some guys that seem to be well liked around the league. Blaha and Kelser fit that bill. So does Chauncey.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#14 » by Snakebites » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:41 pm

JNewton wrote:It would be cool to have him on the Pistons broadcasts, but Kelser still does a pretty good job and I suspect he gets paid more than FSN Detroit would be willing to give anyways. Blaha's best days are behind him but he's earned the right to go out on his own terms and I don't see any apparent successors there either.

Pharaoh wrote:Dude should be in our FO.

Eh, I'm alright with that. It's a shame Joe Dumars seems to have a grudge against the team/organization these days (not attending any of the Palace Final Season or Bad Boys reunion events.) It'd be nice to avoid that with the Going to Work group.

Well, Dumars is already skipping the going to work stuff too. I don’t think he even attended jersey retirements for guys he brought in.

Even Rip, who left on pretty bad terms and was generally awful the last few years for us, has come back.

Makes you think it’s personal between Dumars and Gores.

I’d like to see Billups in our organization. Could still happen one day. I generally don’t think nostalgia should be a criteria for hiring, but Chauncey always seemed like he’d be good.

Return to Detroit Pistons