ImageImageImage

Can Brown/Tatum make leap to all-star level this year?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,777

Re: Can Brown/Tatum make leap to all-star level this year? 

Post#61 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:52 pm

Celticfan_N_FL wrote:Don't care about "leaps" right now. All I want is to see both guys make improvements to the areas of their games that are below average. In many ways it felt like a lost season last year for their development.

Yes, the only leap that matters is the one to the NBA finals.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,731

Post#62 » by OldCeltics » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:48 pm

Tatum and Brown were both top 3 picks. They both have equal potential.

Tatum is the more well rounded and effective scorer.

But Brown is more versatile defender, drives hard to rim, and is a super athlete. If he makes better decisions and improves FTs he's up there.

I wouldn't write off Brown like some do after last year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#63 » by Wes-J » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:49 pm

As much as I like kemba, I believed that Rubio would of done wonders for both.

I'm slightly skeptical about how kemba will fit but gonna offer benefit of doubt because I respect his leadership and character.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#64 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Brown is more likely to be the NBA's worst contract in a few years than he is an All-Star.

He is on the path to being A Wiggins.

Wiggins hits free throws a little bit better, J Brown defend more, neither can pass the ball.

The only thing that could stop Tatum being an All-Star soon is someone ruining him, and it could be one of the Celtics or it could be someone outside, like Bryant.

The coach making him play power forward, that would be another concern.

Tatum is already, statistically, much better than J Brown on offense and even defense. Tatum is better than Brown in every stat, but tied for FG% with Brown.

Brown is just an athlete, Tatum is a complete basketball player.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,801

Post#65 » by Parliament10 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:08 am

OldCeltics wrote:Tatum and Brown were both top 3 picks. They both have equal potential.

Tatum is the more well rounded and effective scorer.

But Brown is more versatile defender, drives hard to rim, and is a super athlete. If he makes better decisions and improves FTs he's up there.

I wouldn't write off Brown like some do after last year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

Tatum is a better player than Brown.
But Brown has the potential to make an All-Star game, or two.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,203

Post#66 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:52 am

Read on Twitter

Didn't people like to point out Tatum likes to wear Duke gear too much? That he rarely puts on Celtics/Boston stuff? Maybe now that the AD thing is behind us and he's no longer just a trade chip, JT's beginning to embrace being the future of the franchise.

Shut up! It's the offseason! Allow me to overread petty things! Also, CHAMPIONSHIPS!
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#67 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:38 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:It's embarrassing for anyone's basketball knowledge for them to think Jaylen Brown could possibly make an all-star game.

:oops:
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#68 » by cloverleaf » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:23 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Didn't people like to point out Tatum likes to wear Duke gear too much? That he rarely puts on Celtics/Boston stuff? Maybe now that the AD thing is behind us and he's no longer just a trade chip, JT's beginning to embrace being the future of the franchise.

Shut up! It's the offseason! Allow me to overread petty things! Also, CHAMPIONSHIPS!

I dunno -- a tee shirt celebrating making it to the finals ain't the way the C's used to roll!
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#69 » by cloverleaf » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:25 pm

Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:Brown is more likely to be the NBA's worst contract in a few years than he is an All-Star.

He is on the path to being A Wiggins.

Wiggins hits free throws a little bit better, J Brown defend more, neither can pass the ball.

The only thing that could stop Tatum being an All-Star soon is someone ruining him, and it could be one of the Celtics or it could be someone outside, like Bryant.

The coach making him play power forward, that would be another concern.

Tatum is already, statistically, much better than J Brown on offense and even defense. Tatum is better than Brown in every stat, but tied for FG% with Brown.

Brown is just an athlete, Tatum is a complete basketball player.

You're right in terms of smarts and skill. But JB has aggression and balls to go with his athleticism and decent shooting.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#70 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:23 pm

One potential determinant of Brown's ultimate success will be how open he needs to be to hit a 3. Stereotypically, that's determined by the speed of a guy's release (cf. Klay Thompson or Ray Allen). Some guys instead beat tight coverage through an elusive move (Harden) or sheer length/height (Bird, Dirk, at least occasionally each). In theory it can be done through a high leap, but that doesn't seem to work out well in practice (Michael Jordan, Gerald Green).

Right now Brown is nothing special in that respect. Is there much hope he'll change?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#71 » by StojkoVrankovic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:00 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:It's embarrassing for anyone's basketball knowledge for them to think Jaylen Brown could possibly make an all-star game. The guy can't dribble. He has horrible BBIQ and is an average, extremely overrated, defender. He isn't a playmaker and he isn't a natural basketball player....more an athlete who plays basketball than an athletic basketball player. How do guys putting up 13-4-1 get talked about as all-stars? I just don't get it. I know, there were many laughable articles/lists that had him ranked as a top 50 player last season. Hilarious. I didn't think anyone actually took that seriously but reading some of these comments I guess I was wrong.

There are only 2 guards for each team that start. Then there are another 8-10 total reserve guards. So Jaylen would need to be a top 15
guard in order to make an all-star game. Think about all the great young guards drafted these past few years who are better than him that haven't made an all-star yet who he'll need to beat out, as well as those guys who have made one that he has zero chance of beating out, plus those just drafted, who, once developed, he won't beat out. Then consider next year is a filthy loaded draft class especially with guards he'll need to also compete with. Jaylen shouldn't even be a consideration tbh. He's nowhere near the talent or player of these guys. He's not a top 100 player. It really is laughable. It's as ridiculous as if someone tried arguing that Jeremy Lamb could make a "leap" and make an all-star game. This "debate" needs to die.

Here's a list of guys Jaylen would need to beat out. He'd need to be one of the top 15 of these guys. And there are another dozen I didn't list who are similar players, who, like Jaylen, shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as all-star, and who have similar numbers/production as him. Guys like Lamb, Joe Harris, Gary Harris, Dinwiddie, Dunn, Clarkson, Green, Bradley, etc. Seriously folks, Jaylen has no chance. Heck, by mid-season we may be seeing Langford taking playing time away from him and most certainly will be our shooting guard next season.

Lonzo
Fox
Trae
Doncic
SGA
Sexton
Simons
LeVert
Murray
Hield
Mitchell
Williams
Dejounte
LaVine
Gordon
Steph
Klay
Dragic
Bledsoe
DeRozan
Beal
Richardson
Smart
Walker
Oladipo
Booker
Kyrie
Rozier
[b]Russell
Brogdon
Lowry
Paul
Westbrook
Wall
Holiday
Conley
Harden
DSJ
Monk
Butler
Lillard
Fournier
Wiggins
Rubio
IT
Reddick
McCollum
Morant
RJ Barrett
Garland
Huerter
White
Reddish
Langford
Herro
NWA
Anthony Edwards (20)
Lamelo Ball (20)
Nico Mannion (20)
Theo Maledon (20)
Cole Anthony (20)
Killian Hayes (20)
RJ Hampton (20)

you would certainly know what embarrassing is, my god what a pile of ****
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#72 » by 31to6 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:48 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

I dunno -- a tee shirt celebrating making it to the finals ain't the way the C's used to roll!

look at that shirt again?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#73 » by cloverleaf » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:35 am

31to6 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

look at that shirt again?

Yep. My apoplogies-boneheaded comment on my part.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#74 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:13 am

StojkoVrankovic wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:It's embarrassing for anyone's basketball knowledge for them to think Jaylen Brown could possibly make an all-star game. The guy can't dribble. He has horrible BBIQ and is an average, extremely overrated, defender. He isn't a playmaker and he isn't a natural basketball player....more an athlete who plays basketball than an athletic basketball player. How do guys putting up 13-4-1 get talked about as all-stars? I just don't get it. I know, there were many laughable articles/lists that had him ranked as a top 50 player last season. Hilarious. I didn't think anyone actually took that seriously but reading some of these comments I guess I was wrong.

There are only 2 guards for each team that start. Then there are another 8-10 total reserve guards. So Jaylen would need to be a top 15
guard in order to make an all-star game. Think about all the great young guards drafted these past few years who are better than him that haven't made an all-star yet who he'll need to beat out, as well as those guys who have made one that he has zero chance of beating out, plus those just drafted, who, once developed, he won't beat out. Then consider next year is a filthy loaded draft class especially with guards he'll need to also compete with. Jaylen shouldn't even be a consideration tbh. He's nowhere near the talent or player of these guys. He's not a top 100 player. It really is laughable. It's as ridiculous as if someone tried arguing that Jeremy Lamb could make a "leap" and make an all-star game. This "debate" needs to die.

Here's a list of guys Jaylen would need to beat out. He'd need to be one of the top 15 of these guys. And there are another dozen I didn't list who are similar players, who, like Jaylen, shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as all-star, and who have similar numbers/production as him. Guys like Lamb, Joe Harris, Gary Harris, Dinwiddie, Dunn, Clarkson, Green, Bradley, etc. Seriously folks, Jaylen has no chance. Heck, by mid-season we may be seeing Langford taking playing time away from him and most certainly will be our shooting guard next season.

Lonzo
Fox
Trae
Doncic
SGA
Sexton
Simons
LeVert
Murray
Hield
Mitchell
Williams
Dejounte
LaVine
Gordon
Steph
Klay
Dragic
Bledsoe
DeRozan
Beal
Richardson
Smart
Walker
Oladipo
Booker
Kyrie
Rozier
[b]Russell
Brogdon
Lowry
Paul
Westbrook
Wall
Holiday
Conley
Harden
DSJ
Monk
Butler
Lillard
Fournier
Wiggins
Rubio
IT
Reddick
McCollum
Morant
RJ Barrett
Garland
Huerter
White
Reddish
Langford
Herro
NWA
Anthony Edwards (20)
Lamelo Ball (20)
Nico Mannion (20)
Theo Maledon (20)
Cole Anthony (20)
Killian Hayes (20)
RJ Hampton (20)

you would certainly know what embarrassing is, my god what a pile of ****

like your weak juvenile **** response?
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#75 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:21 am

If we’re talking 2s and 3s in the east, there’s Beal, Butler, Middleton, Josh Richardson, Oladipo, LeVert, Winslow, Otto Porter.. is that forgetting anyone?

I can’t see Jaylen outplaying Beal, Butler, or a healthy Oladipo this season - he’d need to have a breakout year.. Oladipo and LeVert have injury issues, Winslow is more of a project than Jaylen..

Jump forward a year or two and it’s easy to imagine him right up there.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#76 » by ParticleMan » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:54 am

Lonzo
Fox
Trae
Doncic
SGA
Sexton
Simons
LeVert
Murray
Hield
Mitchell
Williams
Dejounte
LaVine
Gordon
Steph
Klay
Dragic
Bledsoe
DeRozan
Beal
Richardson
Smart
Walker
Oladipo
Booker
Kyrie
Rozier
[b]Russell
Brogdon
Lowry
Paul
Westbrook
Wall
Holiday
Conley
Harden
DSJ
Monk
Butler
Lillard
Fournier
Wiggins
Rubio
IT
Reddick
McCollum
Morant
RJ Barrett
Garland
Huerter
White
Reddish
Langford
Herro
NWA
Anthony Edwards (20)
Lamelo Ball (20)
Nico Mannion (20)
Theo Maledon (20)
Cole Anthony (20)
Killian Hayes (20)
RJ Hampton (20)

look, we know you hate jaylen for some reason but this is embarrassing. jaylen is not a lock for an ASG but he's got that potential. he's played for substantial stretches at an all star level, like in the playoffs a couple of years ago. last year wasn't what what anyone hoped for but that wasn't just jaylen.

maybe you think all those pundits who put him on the top-50 list, and all us jaylen lovers on this board, are just whole bunch of hoops noobs. but what about Pop? i'm sure most of those guys on that list would love to represent the USA. but Pop picked jaylen brown. is he a noob too?
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#77 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:31 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:If we’re talking 2s and 3s in the east, there’s Beal, Butler, Middleton, Josh Richardson, Oladipo, LeVert, Winslow, Otto Porter.. is that forgetting anyone?

Hayward? Tatum? Smart? :)

Seriously, the third-best of Tatum, Brown and Hayward has negligible chance of making this year's All-Star teams, and that could well be Brown.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics