Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves - Part 7 

Post#701 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:26 pm

One other thought for the Lakers as a possible replacement for Cousins - I can't even say it out loud, because people will think I'm being cruel and obnoxious... the return of...
Spoiler:
Dwight Howard
No, I'm not really serious, but I admit to never really getting why people hate him so much. Then again, there's a lot more important things I don't get, so it is what it is.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#702 » by gambitx777 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Honestly Howard wouldn't be a bad idea and AD hates playing center ! And they have an open spot. Cut someone and bring Melo in too! Lol **** let's go !

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,324

Post#703 » by nate33 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:One other thought for the Lakers as a possible replacement for Cousins - I can't even say it out loud, because people will think I'm being cruel and obnoxious... the return of...
Spoiler:
Dwight Howard
No, I'm not really serious, but I admit to never really getting why people hate him so much. Then again, there's a lot more important things I don't get, so it is what it is.

I just don't think Howard can physically play for any length of time. His back is shot.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#704 » by gambitx777 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:33 am

Speaking from someone who's had back surgery. From what i believe he had done with proper care and the right work outs and such he can be able to play again for sure.
nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:One other thought for the Lakers as a possible replacement for Cousins - I can't even say it out loud, because people will think I'm being cruel and obnoxious... the return of...
Spoiler:
Dwight Howard

I just don't think Howard can physically play for any length of time. His back is shot.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#705 » by Ruzious » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:28 pm

Spoiler:
Dwight Howard

I really wasn't serious, but this is what was reported... https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-reportedly-interested-dwight-howard-133507498.html
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#706 » by payitforward » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Spoiler:
Dwight Howard

I really wasn't serious, but this is what was reported... https://sports.yahoo.com/lakers-reportedly-interested-dwight-howard-133507498.html

Another RBI for Ruz!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#707 » by nate33 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:12 pm

If the Lakers sign Howard, it further illustrates the folly of the Howard for Miles trade.

If we still had Howard, and the Lakers wanted him, we could have arranged a buyout for $3.0M. The Lakers would then sign him to a $2.6M vet minimum contract, earning Howard the same $5.6M that he would have had by refusing a buyout.

Basically, instead of the Wizards paying $3.0M for nobody, they are paying $8.7M for a washed up C.J. Miles. That's effectivelyl $5.7M for Miles. There were much better options in this free agency market for $5.7M.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#708 » by gambitx777 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:21 am

If I were the lakers I would write boogie check for what he's owed and cut him and eat that dead money. No one's trading for him and they don't have any assets left anyway. Use those open spots to sign Howard and Noah. Then you have plenty of depth and insurance at center. Then if you have a shot at Iggy , cut Troy Daniels ,the Lakers have way Too many guards. But honestly center depth is way more important that adding Iggy. Right now they have McGee and some undrafted rookie who is a true pf and not a true center. And Davis hates playing the 5. So sign both Howard and Noah and you fix your depth problem at the 5

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#709 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:12 pm

Howard and Noah would load up on their IR spots nicely but they'd still have a hole at center.

The real problem is that nobody good is left at this point. There are quite a few guys who cycle between DNP-broken everything and DNP-old, though. Beyond Howard and Noah, you also have guys like Nene, Amir Johnson, Ryan Anderson, Zaza, Bogut, Greg Monroe, Epke Udoh, Gortat, etc. Personally, I feel they need to be looking younger. I get the defensive issues and such and veterans generally hate that but they'd be so much more effective given their options. They gave away Zubac, Thomas and Bonga and are now looking for a C and considering Dwight Howard. They played themselves. Deyonta Davis is available and Christian Wood is, too. If they want a vet they need to at least find a guy who's going to be reliably healthy - is Kosta Koufos the best option in that respect? I still think they're better off playing AD at C and finding wing defenders.
Bucket! Bucket!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#710 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:29 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:Howard and Noah would load up on their IR spots nicely but they'd still have a hole at center.

The real problem is that nobody good is left at this point. There are quite a few guys who cycle between DNP-broken everything and DNP-old, though. Beyond Howard and Noah, you also have guys like Nene, Amir Johnson, Ryan Anderson, Zaza, Bogut, Greg Monroe, Epke Udoh, Gortat, etc. Personally, I feel they need to be looking younger. I get the defensive issues and such and veterans generally hate that but they'd be so much more effective given their options. They gave away Zubac, Thomas and Bonga and are now looking for a C and considering Dwight Howard. They played themselves. Deyonta Davis is available and Christian Wood is, too. If they want a vet they need to at least find a guy who's going to be reliably healthy - is Kosta Koufos the best option in that respect? I still think they're better off playing AD at C and finding wing defenders.

And the year before, they lost Julius Randle, Brook Lopez, and Thomas Bryant for nothin. One good player who's left - Faried.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#711 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:12 pm

Faried would definitely make sense. I sort of assumed he would be back in Houston already but they're obviously going in another direction. I'm not sure how much of a fit Faried is with the Lakers but as a 3rd string C behind Faried and Davis (when Kuzma is at PF) he could work. Given the guys they're working out, it strikes me that they're trying to find post defenders to avoid having Davis handle that role, though given how much it probably will cost them on the perimeter, I'm not sure it's the wisest of ideas.
Bucket! Bucket!
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#712 » by gambitx777 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:07 pm

Wood and Kosta are signed . Tbh with McGee Howard and Noah could split enough minutes to keep every one running I imagine.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:Howard and Noah would load up on their IR spots nicely but they'd still have a hole at center.

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#713 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:33 pm

There are definitely enough minutes for everyone with Dwight, McGee and Noah. The problem is that Dwight's back problems aren't a guarantee he can actually play at any NBA level. At least he has a chance at playing, though. Since 2015, Noah has played in 29, 46, 7 and 42 games. He's 34 and will turn 35 during the season. The idea that Noah is somehow going to solidify anything is dubious at best.
Bucket! Bucket!
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#714 » by I_Like_Dirt » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:59 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Wood and Kosta are signed . Tbh with McGee Howard and Noah could split enough minutes to keep every one running I imagine.

Heh, the Wood signing was announced yesterday after I made my post apparently. And Koufos signed with CSKA which suggests nobody in the NBA was particularly interested.
Bucket! Bucket!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#715 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:33 pm

We've liked Wood on this board for some years now. By now the kid has played for Philly, NO, Charlotte, Milwaukee, & next for Detroit. But never for us.

I kind of wonder whether other teams' realgm boards (in particular those 5 teams) have had any interest in him?

The other thing I wonder is why he's having so much trouble establishing himself in the league. He has played 500 minutes since he went undrafted in 2015 (while Chris McCullough was picked in R1) & has played pretty well in those minutes.

I hope he sticks with Detroit & gets some real minutes. He's certainly worked at it, I'd like to see him make it.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM

Post#716 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:30 pm

I haven't been as enthusiastic about Wood as the rest of the board has. If the discussion is whether he'd help the Lakers more than Noah's DNP-sprained everything situation, though, he's definitely better than that. The state of available Cs isn't pretty right now.
Bucket! Bucket!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,353

Post#717 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:59 pm

Noah with the Grizzlies was serviceable surprisingly- not sure if he can keep it up another year- although I suppose he is the same age as his former teammate Al Horford who is getting paid.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#718 » by gambitx777 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:51 pm

Yeah like, if the lakes get McGee, Howard, and Noah they have a good 4 man center core with that rookie they got. Plenty of rest and load management. But you can play Howard McGee, McGee Noah sprinkle in the kid. And then give McGee a night off here or there.
Kanyewest wrote:Noah with the Grizzlies was serviceable surprisingly- not sure if he can keep it up another year- although I suppose he is the same age as his former teammate Al Horford who is getting paid.

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#719 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:08 pm

This is from a few weeks ago:

Read on Twitter

It's significant because the belief is that Beasley and Christian Wood are battling for their last roster spot. If Wood gets waived, he'd be a great fit here. We desperately need another center.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#720 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:48 pm

Yes! May it be so!

Return to Washington Wizards