ImageImage

OT: Music Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Re: OT: 2019 Music Thread 

Post#801 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:43 am

Tool is releasing their first new song in about 13 years today 8/7......it's been a long time coming. New album 8/30.

Never thought this was going to happen. Can't wait.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,015

Post#802 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 7, 2019 12:59 pm

0BobLobLaw0 wrote:Tool is releasing their first new song in about 13 years today 8/7......it's been a long time coming. New album 8/30.

Never thought this was going to happen. Can't wait.

chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,670

Post#803 » by chonestown » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:29 pm

David Berman has died. I am gutted. I blabbed on here about Purple Mountains which came out earlier this summer. "Storyline Fever" is as attuned to the zeitgeist as any song I can remember lately. Not a good last couple days for people who love the people who can string together words.

“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#804 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 9, 2019 1:36 pm

As the world changes and I've changed drastically over the last 20 years, it's so welcome to have new Strung Out arrive and have them sound the exact same as they did when I was in high school. Today is a #blessed day.

Album out today.
stellation
RealGM
And1: 8,924

Post#805 » by stellation » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:55 pm

Bucksfan28 wrote:Song of the year candidate. God Bless Spotify and those algorithms. Some of my favorite stuff recently has been from small, unknown bands that I never would've heard otherwise.

I love those Spotify algorithms, they're the one modern media company where I feel like their collection of my interests and building a profile to then magically make suggestions to me is something I'm happy with because I can see a clear benefit. I love the playlist radio feature, that's become my go to standard listening experience now with it (I still buy lots of music on physical media and generally am listening to that around the house/for albums) and they always insert something I stop and go "wait, what's that?" and go check out the band/end up buying some of their stuff. I just wish the radio lists were refreshed a little more frequently.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#806 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:08 pm

The National are wonderful and have a deep catalog, but I haven't been able to really get into the new album (now several months old). I keep replaying Sleep Well Beast, which is one of my all-time favorites.

I also propose Dark Side of the Gym as one of their GOATs.
Bucksfan28
General Manager
And1: 4,918

Post#807 » by Bucksfan28 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:53 pm

stellation wrote:
Bucksfan28 wrote:Song of the year candidate. God Bless Spotify and those algorithms. Some of my favorite stuff recently has been from small, unknown bands that I never would've heard otherwise.

I love those Spotify algorithms, they're the one modern media company where I feel like their collection of my interests and building a profile to then magically make suggestions to me is something I'm happy with because I can see a clear benefit. I love the playlist radio feature, that's become my go to standard listening experience now with it (I still buy lots of music on physical media and generally am listening to that around the house/for albums) and they always insert something I stop and go "wait, what's that?" and go check out the band/end up buying some of their stuff. I just wish the radio lists were refreshed a little more frequently.

Agree with all of this. I have the problem though of getting too caught up in new stuff i really like and not fully flushing through some of the playlists/radio.

Semi-related: I came across these guys a few days ago and been loving their EP.

MoreTrife wrote:Love seeing two buffoons have a buffoon competition.
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,290

Post#808 » by Wooderson » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Tiny Changes video was posted a couple days ago interviewing the artists who cotributed to album the covering Frightened Rabbit's Midnight Organ Fight. The original is such an amazing piece. Bittersweet how Scott originally put it together and it turned into more of a rememberence piece.

Julien Baker crushes every cover and her version of Modern Leper is no different.

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,178

Post#809 » by Iheartfootball » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:14 am

MikeIsGood wrote:The National are wonderful and have a deep catalog, but I haven't been able to really get into the new album (now several months old). I keep replaying Sleep Well Beast, which is one of my all-time favorites.

‘I Am Easy to Find’ is the first album of theirs that I don’t enjoy listening to. Everything prior is top notch stuff to me. All A+.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,670

Post#810 » by chonestown » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:46 pm

A couple superlative examples of wide-lens music writing have become must-visits for your boy.

Tom Breihan has been running down in chronological order the entire history of Billboard's #1 pop singles at Stereogum in a column called, natch, "The Number Ones." There's the obvious summary of artist and song, but a tremendous amount of context is provided and it's clearly been well-researched. It's as much an American history lesson as it is a bit of serialized music criticism. Somehow, the comments section is even more worthwhile!

https://www.stereogum.com/category/franchises/the-number-ones/

Sportswriter/music journalist Natalie Weiner is doing something similar, though more specific. Her focus is jazz in 1959 as she examines each day in the calendar year. This weekend occasioned the release of "Kind of Blue" which is as shopworn a topic there is, but she dug up a NYT review lamenting the misuse of Coltrane and Adderley that was fascinating in how wrong it was. She also crossposts on her twitter and it's a welcome oasis amongst other 280-character garbage fires.

https://the1959project.com/
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#811 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:17 pm

**** yea new Lana

Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#812 » by Iheartfootball » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:22 pm

Didn't know the new Bon Iver album was out so that's been on repeat a few times today. He/they have really settled into a style and sound all their own. Kind of abstract emotion lyrically and sonically. Another great album.
stellation
RealGM

Post#813 » by stellation » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:00 am

Iheartfootball wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:The National are wonderful and have a deep catalog, but I haven't been able to really get into the new album (now several months old). I keep replaying Sleep Well Beast, which is one of my all-time favorites.

‘I Am Easy to Find’ is the first album of theirs that I don’t enjoy listening to. Everything prior is top notch stuff to me. All A+.

I've been able to get into "I Am Easy to Find" by having a mental detachment from viewing it as a regular The National album, because it does seem to be more of a project than their regular stuff.

Agreed on quality of the reset of their catalogue- everything (right back to the start) is A+ for me, too.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant

Post#814 » by Iheartfootball » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:30 am

stellation wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:

I've been able to get into "I Am Easy to Find" by having a mental detachment from viewing it as a regular The National album, because it does seem to be more of a project than their regular stuff.

Agreed on quality of the reset of their catalogue- everything (right back to the start) is A+ for me, too.

That’s a solid positive reframe.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#815 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:43 am

Iheartfootball wrote:
stellation wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:

Yeah, I’ll give it a shot under this guise. Not sure it’ll hit for me still, but worth a shot.
stellation
RealGM

Post#816 » by stellation » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:10 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
Iheartfootball wrote:
stellation wrote:I've been able to get into "I Am Easy to Find" by having a mental detachment from viewing it as a regular The National album, because it does seem to be more of a project than their regular stuff.

Yeah, I’ll give it a shot under this guise. Not sure it’ll hit for me still, but worth a shot.

I mean, I'm excited to listen to their various side projects so this album I just view as "that's cool, there's a side project they're all on!"

Also- I feel kinda guilty not digging it at first, because I support what they're thinking and I'm more woke than an insomniac after a dozen espressos (also generally about as sensible as an insomniac after a dozen espresso martinis).
#FreeChuckDiesel
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#817 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:23 pm

I'm a 1975 fan (yes, I am not a teenage girl, either) and cool, they've released a punk/screemo song. Please do not tell me I've lost another band to a **** genre switch like has happened to Arcade Fire and others.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#818 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:I'm a 1975 fan (yes, I am not a teenage girl, either) and cool, they've released a punk/screemo song. Please do not tell me I've lost another band to a **** genre switch like has happened to Arcade Fire and others.

Sounds less like punk/screamo than it does the garage bands from the early 2000s. Getting big The Vines vibes. Kinda like it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,171
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#819 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:30 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:I'm a 1975 fan (yes, I am not a teenage girl, either) and cool, they've released a punk/screemo song. Please do not tell me I've lost another band to a **** genre switch like has happened to Arcade Fire and others.

Sounds less like punk/screamo than it does the garage bands from the early 2000s. Getting big The Vines vibes. Kinda like it.

Yeah, I probably mis-characterized because I don't really listen to those genres.

I know that some will like it if that's their thing already and I have liked when bands like Radiohead took a turn, but ehhh...yeah, not my cup of tea. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2 song thing on the new album.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#820 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:33 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Yeah, I probably mis-characterized because I don't really listen to those genres.

I know that some will like it if that's their thing already and I have liked when bands like Radiohead took a turn, but ehhh...yeah, not my cup of tea. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a 2 song thing on the new album.

I know what you mean, though. Can't count the number of bands I loved that made hard turns into something I hated. Finch, The Killers...looking at you. Even Thrice.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks