ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 239 recap card of the year Jones pushed to brink 

Post#201 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:16 am

For your entertainment value. I love this dude.

POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,435

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 239 recap card of the year Jones pushed to brink 

Post#202 » by j4remi » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:47 pm

https://anchor.fm/FTESWL/episodes/UFC-241-e4vqto

Did the Fteswl podcast. First half is on Jon Jones’ future and Conor’s high jinx. Then we preview and predict the top three fights on the card.

Besides that I’ve got yusuff and Brunson both by KO. Rafael assuncao is a big dog vs cory sandhagen which I think is a good place to risk some dough betting. I’m hype for this weekend fam!
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
YouthMovement
General Manager
And1: 4,754

Post#203 » by YouthMovement » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:48 am

That romero costa fight was legendary.
Anotha Knicks fan
Head Coach
And1: 1,333

Post#204 » by Anotha Knicks fan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:25 am

YouthMovement wrote:That romero costa fight was legendary.

Thought the Nate Diaz/Petit fight was better... great event so far
Join me in welcoming in the new Era of our basketball team:

The New York Mediocrebockers!
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,870

Post#205 » by GONYK » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:23 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=09
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#206 » by j4remi » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Wow fam! It’s rare that an event lives up to expectations when it’s this stacked. The fact that match ups were mostly competitive, even the yusuff KO, gave it an even larger impact in my book. Normally I’m watching hella closely to be analytical at a lot of points I just let myself be a prisoner of the moment. For the big ones, I got all three picks wrong but couldn’t be more impressed by how everything fell out. A bit more on those three

I counted 17 lead left hooks to the body from stipe leading up to that KO. It was like clockwork, bring the double hand trap high and dig in underneath with a hook. Jones used a similar philosophy but with kicks. In both cases DC’s hands eventually went low while they came high for power. The bugout is that Stipe HAD to wait for DC to gas and slow down before he let that one out of the bag. DC has such a speed advantage in the first couple of rounds that he could counter over the top of that hook and probably beat stipe to the punch. So either stipe weathered the storm or he really found that adjustment in real time and went absolutely bananas repeating it before DC could come up with a counter.

But I’m not sure if dc gasses like that in his best days tbh. The back surgery and age may have played into that strategy even being possible. I’m not gonna take anything away from Stipe, but I’d like a rubber match between em. Ngannou deserves his second shot otherwise.

Pettis vs Diaz was absolute flames. Pettis seemed like he’d look to utilize the leg kicks but Diaz actually checked one or two and pettis broke his foot. That meant Diaz could trap pettis more easily and absolutely wear him down. The bugout is that Diaz looked a bit rusty. He actually got tired and slowed down and he didn’t look as sharp at distance as I’d expected (could be that pettis is just that good also). Either way, Diaz fought his kinda fight. Pettis couldn’t create the space he needs to work and I think losing the ground grappling so clearly also took a dimension out of pettis’ gameplan and confidence. That masvidal call out was perfect too! Talk about a money fight, a foty candidate in the making and a chance to make both guys even bigger stars.

I had Romero winning over costa but it was a war but I’m not really mad at the result on this one because of how much they left out there and how close it really was. Seeing Romero somewhat overwhelmed at first was nuts and watching him adjust and become increasingly elusive was even more incredible. He really stuck the jab, moved well and mitigated damage with movement and rolls (could be better though lol). Costa meanwhile has an incredible chin and was able to keep Romero from forcing a wrestling match. 185 is officially the scariest division right now. Whitaker, adesanya, costa and Romero are all elite up top. Romero jacare two needs to be next.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#207 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:37 am

j4remi wrote:Wow fam! It’s rare that an event lives up to expectations when it’s this stacked. The fact that match ups were mostly competitive, even the yusuff KO, gave it an even larger impact in my book. Normally I’m watching hella closely to be analytical at a lot of points I just let myself be a prisoner of the moment. For the big ones, I got all three picks wrong but couldn’t be more impressed by how everything fell out. A bit more on those three

I counted 17 lead left hooks to the body from stipe leading up to that KO. It was like clockwork, bring the double hand trap high and dig in underneath with a hook. Jones used a similar philosophy but with kicks. In both cases DC’s hands eventually went low while they came high for power. The bugout is that Stipe HAD to wait for DC to gas and slow down before he let that one out of the bag. DC has such a speed advantage in the first couple of rounds that he could counter over the top of that hook and probably beat stipe to the punch. So either stipe weathered the storm or he really found that adjustment in real time and went absolutely bananas repeating it before DC could come up with a counter.

But I’m not sure if dc gasses like that in his best days tbh. The back surgery and age may have played into that strategy even being possible. I’m not gonna take anything away from Stipe, but I’d like a rubber match between em. Ngannou deserves his second shot otherwise.

Pettis vs Diaz was absolute flames. Pettis seemed like he’d look to utilize the leg kicks but Diaz actually checked one or two and pettis broke his foot. That meant Diaz could trap pettis more easily and absolutely wear him down. The bugout is that Diaz looked a bit rusty. He actually got tired and slowed down and he didn’t look as sharp at distance as I’d expected (could be that pettis is just that good also). Either way, Diaz fought his kinda fight. Pettis couldn’t create the space he needs to work and I think losing the ground grappling so clearly also took a dimension out of pettis’ gameplan and confidence. That masvidal call out was perfect too! Talk about a money fight, a foty candidate in the making and a chance to make both guys even bigger stars.

I had Romero winning over costa but it was a war but I’m not really mad at the result on this one because of how much they left out there and how close it really was. Seeing Romero somewhat overwhelmed at first was nuts and watching him adjust and become increasingly elusive was even more incredible. He really stuck the jab, moved well and mitigated damage with movement and rolls (could be better though lol). Costa meanwhile has an incredible chin and was able to keep Romero from forcing a wrestling match. 185 is officially the scariest division right now. Whitaker, adesanya, costa and Romero are all elite up top. Romero jacare two needs to be next.

What surprised me most about Costa was (1) his chin, and (2) his cardio. I knew about Yoel's cardio so you gotta hand it to Costa for lasting 3 with him. If it had gone 5 rounds, I think Yoel beats him ... probably in the fourth.

Who do you think is next for each fighter?

As for DC/Stipe, gotta give Stipe all the credit. I'd also love to see that rubber match but DC has to have that drive in him if it's going to mean anything. He said that he son told him that he would not be disappointed if he hung up the gloves without the Stipe triology. But DC's a competitive guy and he didn't think he was fully healthy, I could see him coming back for one more.
POSTING POLICIES:
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,175

Post#208 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:30 am

j4remi wrote:Wow fam! It’s rare that an event lives up to expectations when it’s this stacked. The fact that match ups were mostly competitive, even the yusuff KO, gave it an even larger impact in my book. Normally I’m watching hella closely to be analytical at a lot of points I just let myself be a prisoner of the moment. For the big ones, I got all three picks wrong but couldn’t be more impressed by how everything fell out. A bit more on those three

That was one of the best main cards I've ever seen

I don't think DC being older makes a difference. It was totally due to Stipe making that adjustment and busting the best sequence of body shots you'll ever see. That was textbook and DC is so tough it only worked because he fired them off in a short period of time and it took the life out of him. Prior to that, the fight was Cormier's mostly IMO, but when a fighter shifts gears like that it is exciting. Stipe proved something with that adjustment. I don't know if his corner told him to do it, but it was a genius move.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#209 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:58 am

So, how pissed off will I be when I watch the video of Conor punching out one of my colleagues? I've been resisting it because I know how angry it'll make may.

Watch out Conor. Us old men are sneaky as shyt should you anger us.
POSTING POLICIES:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#210 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:08 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:So, how pissed off will I be when I watch the video of Conor punching out one of my colleagues? I've been resisting it because I know how angry it'll make may.

Conor is truly a POS human. Guy was sitting calmly at the bar, not even facing Conor and he sucker punched someone twice his age who was not in any kind of attack mode.

I think he's a crack head the way he acts. Probably has a pound of blow on his coffee table at home with Scarface on repeat.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#211 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:42 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:So, how pissed off will I be when I watch the video of Conor punching out one of my colleagues? I've been resisting it because I know how angry it'll make may.

Conor is truly a POS human. Guy was sitting calmly at the bar, not even facing Conor and he sucker punched someone twice his age who was not in any kind of attack mode.

I think he's a crack head the way he acts. Probably has a pound of blow on his coffee table at home with Scarface on repeat.

Yeah, that sounds like classic booze/coke behavior. That's just crazy. What's worse is that Dana was condoning it as just a regular ol' bar fight in Ireland. Sure. MMA World Champs beating up on old men happens all the time.

I'm calling John Wick. I have one of the coins lying around here somewhere.
POSTING POLICIES:
Clyde_Style
RealGM

Post#212 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:43 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

Yeah, that sounds like classic booze/coke behavior. That's just crazy behavior. What's worse is that Dana was condoning it as just a regular ol' bar fight in Ireland. Sure. MMA World Champs beating up on old men happens all the time.

I'm calling John Wick. I have one of the coins lying around here somewhere.

Dana is definitely not woke :lol:
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,596

Post#213 » by Stannis » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Watch. Then realize what a scumbag he is.

then watch this at 9:25 and rejoice

#McTapper

EDIT: Of course Dana White's response was "he lost money in the bus attack, had to pay the fan with the phone, how much is he going to have to pay this old man? How much will it take for him to realize he has to stop doing this".

What a horrible response. This guy just can't admit Conor is a POS and puts random people's lives at risk.

He punched an old man because his whisky sucked
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#214 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:20 am

Stannis wrote:

Watch. Then realize what a scumbag he is.

then watch this at 9:25 and rejoice

#McTapper

EDIT: Of course Dana White's response was "he lost money in the bus attack, had to pay the fan with the phone, how much is he going to have to pay this old man? How much will it take for him to realize he has to stop doing this".

What a horrible response. This guy just can't admit Conor is a POS and puts random people's lives at risk.

He punched an old man because his whisky sucked

It's amazing to me that his ego is still so fragile that he can't accept a simple "No thanks" from someone without becoming an animal. He's going to pull that shyt on the wrong person one day and Conor will end up on the wrong side of a gun or knife and that'll be it.
POSTING POLICIES:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#215 » by j4remi » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:32 am

So the UFC this weekend starts at 3 AM and the main card is at 6 AM because it's going down in China. The card itself is fairly light as they have some prospects and China based fighters, but even the more interesting prospects out of Asia don't seem to be on the card. But...the main and co-main are fire. Jessica Andrade is fighting the one person that she might not be able to bully and overwhelm with power.

The co-main is Li Jiangliang vs Elizeu Dos Santos...Not exactly household names, but two fighters that go out there to SCRAP. Dos Santos hasn't lost in 4 years and beaten quality competition like Sean Strickland, Max Griffin and Curtis Millender. He's a straight up finisher with more losses than decision wins and 14 knockouts (3 subs too). Highlight stuff too...he's got flying knee and wheel kick KO's. But that's why this is so damned interesting, Jiangliang has 21 fights and nobody has ever knocked him out. It's not because he's a defensive ace or anything, dude BRAWLS. He's gotten 4 post-fight bonuses in his last 5 fights. He can be plodding but never stops stepping in with serious power in everything he throws. So these aren't the most known guys, but fam...I expect this to be a great fight.

Then Weili Zhang fights Jessica Andrade and I honestly think Zhang is probably the stronger of the two. She's yolked fam and has height on Andrade too. Zhang hasn't lost since her first fight 6 years ago but only has 3 UFC fights. The thing is, she's overwhelmed all three opponents with power, volume and solid grappling technique. I've never seen Tecia Torres struggle as badly as she did against Zhang. That's interesting because Andrade has been the overwhelming force of 115 since she arrived in the division. She hasn't had someone who could potentially overpower her since she was fighting 135. We know Andrade is a scrapper too, so it makes for a really exciting fight with real potential for a KO on both ends. I'd have liked to see Zhang get one more big test before Andrade, but she's a legitimate threat and has home field advantage. It should be really good.

Other than that, Kai Kara-France vs Mark De La Rosa on the undercard should be cool. Kai is a hell of a striker who needed seasoning as a grappler. De La Rosa is 11-2 with his losses to UFC beasts in Alex Perez and Tim Elliot. He also beat Joby Sanchez in his UFC run which is a quality dub. The intriguing bit is he's got a lot of subs in his career, so the grappling test for Kai will be there. Two good prospects to watch for growth.

Wake up, throw on ESPN+ and playback the card while you sip your coffee fam...
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#216 » by Fury » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:48 am

j4remi wrote:So the UFC this weekend starts at 3 AM and the main card is at 6 AM because it's going down in China. The card itself is fairly light as they have some prospects and China based fighters, but even the more interesting prospects out of Asia don't seem to be on the card. But...the main and co-main are fire. Jessica Andrade is fighting the one person that she might not be able to bully and overwhelm with power.

The co-main is Li Jiangliang vs Elizeu Dos Santos...Not exactly household names, but two fighters that go out there to SCRAP. Dos Santos hasn't lost in 4 years and beaten quality competition like Sean Strickland, Max Griffin and Curtis Millender. He's a straight up finisher with more losses than decision wins and 14 knockouts (3 subs too). Highlight stuff too...he's got flying knee and wheel kick KO's. But that's why this is so damned interesting, Jiangliang has 21 fights and nobody has ever knocked him out. It's not because he's a defensive ace or anything, dude BRAWLS. He's gotten 4 post-fight bonuses in his last 5 fights. He can be plodding but never stops stepping in with serious power in everything he throws. So these aren't the most known guys, but fam...I expect this to be a great fight.

Then Weili Zhang fights Jessica Andrade and I honestly think Zhang is probably the stronger of the two. She's yolked fam and has height on Andrade too. Zhang hasn't lost since her first fight 6 years ago but only has 3 UFC fights. The thing is, she's overwhelmed all three opponents with power, volume and solid grappling technique. I've never seen Tecia Torres struggle as badly as she did against Zhang. That's interesting because Andrade has been the overwhelming force of 115 since she arrived in the division. She hasn't had someone who could potentially overpower her since she was fighting 135. We know Andrade is a scrapper too, so it makes for a really exciting fight with real potential for a KO on both ends. I'd have liked to see Zhang get one more big test before Andrade, but she's a legitimate threat and has home field advantage. It should be really good.

Other than that, Kai Kara-France vs Mark De La Rosa on the undercard should be cool. Kai is a hell of a striker who needed seasoning as a grappler. De La Rosa is 11-2 with his losses to UFC beasts in Alex Perez and Tim Elliot. He also beat Joby Sanchez in his UFC run which is a quality dub. The intriguing bit is he's got a lot of subs in his career, so the grappling test for Kai will be there. Two good prospects to watch for growth.

Wake up, throw on ESPN+ and playback the card while you sip your coffee fam...

Not sure what the odds are now but I’d put mad money on Weili Zhang. Feel like people are sleeping on her and thought I was maybe crazy but seeing your thoughts on this match, I agree with what you’re saying.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#217 » by j4remi » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:24 pm

Fury wrote:Not sure what the odds are now but I’d put mad money on Weili Zhang. Feel like people are sleeping on her and thought I was maybe crazy but seeing your thoughts on this match, I agree with what you’re saying.

I've been tempted to myself, but it goes against my typical betting style. Zhang only has one true elite opponent so there's a lot we don't know about her...but fam...I think she's legit. The only question is whether she's ready for the big step up right now or if this is a bit too soon. Andrade looked a lot less impressive against opponents that she couldn't overpower though and I really think Zhang has that edge. I've taken some L's betting on proven vets vs up and comers that have the look but not the proof though. Sandhagen and Hermannson have both blown up chunks of my gains betting this year :nonono:

If Zhang goes above +160, I'll probably bite on a soft bet. 15-20 bones, nothing too crazy but enough to bet on baseball games in the afternoon :lol:
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#218 » by NY 567 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:04 pm

I had a parlay on Nate and DC, so him losing cost me money, pretty annoying since he seemed to have it in the bag, lol. I thought DC was doing great but fell in love with striking because he was getting off so easily on Stipe, but Stipe is tough as nails, lasted long enough until DC started to fade and just worked his body. I'd love to see a third fight. Nate looked great, his clinch work, kicking game, and wrestling never looked better, him vs Masvidal will be insane. Romero vs Costa was crazy, I though Yoel did enough to pull it off, but not a robbery either way. Yoel seems to get the short end of the stick with these razor close decisions.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#219 » by j4remi » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:41 pm

NY 567 wrote:I had a parlay on Nate and DC, so him losing cost me money, pretty annoying since he seemed to have it in the bag, lol. I thought DC was doing great but fell in love with striking because he was getting off so easily on Stipe, but Stipe is tough as nails, lasted long enough until DC started to fade and just worked his body. I'd love to see a third fight. Nate looked great, his clinch work, kicking game, and wrestling never looked better, him vs Masvidal will be insane. Romero vs Costa was crazy, I though Yoel did enough to pull it off, but not a robbery either way. Yoel seems to get the short end of the stick with these razor close decisions.

Ironically, I have him winning the last Whitaker fight and the Costa fight. I'm back and forth on whether or not he won the first Whitaker fight. The one close decision that I absolutely feel he lost is the Jacare fight which he got the decision :lol:
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Fury
RealGM
And1: 14,850

Post#220 » by Fury » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:45 pm

j4remi wrote:
Fury wrote:Not sure what the odds are now but I’d put mad money on Weili Zhang. Feel like people are sleeping on her and thought I was maybe crazy but seeing your thoughts on this match, I agree with what you’re saying.

I've been tempted to myself, but it goes against my typical betting style. Zhang only has one true elite opponent so there's a lot we don't know about her...but fam...I think she's legit. The only question is whether she's ready for the big step up right now or if this is a bit too soon. Andrade looked a lot less impressive against opponents that she couldn't overpower though and I really think Zhang has that edge. I've taken some L's betting on proven vets vs up and comers that have the look but not the proof though. Sandhagen and Hermannson have both blown up chunks of my gains betting this year :nonono:

If Zhang goes above +160, I'll probably bite on a soft bet. 15-20 bones, nothing too crazy but enough to bet on baseball games in the afternoon :lol:

Yoooooooooooo

Return to New York Knicks