ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Re: Wizards 2019 Offseason Thread - Part 2 

Post#421 » by prime1time » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:42 am

Is there any good that can come from calling the NBA racist than whites? And our head coach racist? This is easily the most preposterous claim I have ever heard. More importantly, how would you even prove this? Regardless, this is a thread to discuss the Wizards offseason. Outlandish and incendiary claims like these belong in another thread, because they have the potential to completely derail the conversation.

Getting back to basketball, does anyone have a list of Wizard players that will be playing in FIBA? Right now all I know is Bonga, Bertans and Rui. Anyone else?
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#422 » by dangermouse » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:34 am

Dat2U wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
nate33 wrote:You gotta admit, it took the team forever to give Sato the playing time he deserved. They tried Trey Burke, Brandon Jennings, Tim Frazier and Ty Lawson before finally being forced by injuries to play Sato. The entire time, Sato was a much better player going by box score statistics or on/off ratios.

I'm not disputing this org treated Sato like trash. Those situations are a dime a dozen, whether they're black, white, purple whatever. But we treated Sato like trash = NBA racist against whites is laughable.

Shocking that it has piqued your interest. :D :roll:

I don't buy the race claim either against Brooks.

Brooks didnt like Sato because he couldn't play at the same pace as Wall. Which is completely stupid because they are nothing alike but this seemed to be a point of consternation for Brooks as he said more than once he wanted to see Sato play faster and push tempo. That's why Brooks preferred two washed jitterbugs in Brandon Jennings & Ty Lawson instead of Satp and likely Brooks had a big say in getting Ish Smith who plays like a broke version of Wall. He prefers someone that can mimic Wall's pace on the floor.

Thanks for adding more evidence to the "Scott Brooks is actually a terrible bloody coach" file, Dat :D
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
SUPERBALLMAN
Assistant Coach
And1: 862

Post#423 » by SUPERBALLMAN » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:43 am

dangermouse wrote:
Dat2U wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
I'm not disputing this org treated Sato like trash. Those situations are a dime a dozen, whether they're black, white, purple whatever. But we treated Sato like trash = NBA racist against whites is laughable.

Brooks didnt like Sato because he couldn't play at the same pace as Wall. Which is completely stupid because they are nothing alike but this seemed to be a point of consternation for Brooks as he said more than once he wanted to see Sato play faster and push tempo. That's why Brooks preferred two washed jitterbugs in Brandon Jennings & Ty Lawson instead of Satp and likely Brooks had a big say in getting Ish Smith who plays like a broke version of Wall. He prefers someone that can mimic Wall's pace on the floor.

Thanks for adding more evidence to the "Scott Brooks is actually a terrible bloody coach" file, Dat :D

I'm not really a fan of Brooks' coaching style, I'm totally open to the idea of moving on from him.
"I love it when a plan comes together" - Colonel John "Hannibal" Smith
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,066

Post#424 » by nate33 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:13 pm

Dat2U wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:
nate33 wrote:You gotta admit, it took the team forever to give Sato the playing time he deserved. They tried Trey Burke, Brandon Jennings, Tim Frazier and Ty Lawson before finally being forced by injuries to play Sato. The entire time, Sato was a much better player going by box score statistics or on/off ratios.

That's a fair point.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#425 » by JWizmentality » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:45 pm

nate33 wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:

:roll:

I didn't bring it up, CCJ did, in a reply to one of my posts. And I think I've been pretty even-handed about it. Look at my first post on the subject.

I didn't say you weren't even handed. I just said it was unsurprising it piqued your interest. :D
jivelikenice
Analyst
And1: 145

Post#426 » by jivelikenice » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:28 pm

I think there are a few things which aren't presented fairly in most Sato discussions:

1. Sato was awful as a rookie (understandably). He needed that summer after his rookie season to adjust to the speed of the game, work on his shot, etc...He was not ready so the revisionist history about his rookie year and guys playing ahead of him is misplaced imo.

2. Vs Toronto in the '17-'18 season in 4 regular season games (24mpg), Sato averaged 6 pts, 4.25 asts, 4 reb, and 3.5 TOs per game on 41.6% from the field and 28.5% from 3.

3. In the playoffs he played in all six games, averaging 10mpg and averaged 1.2 pts, 0.5 asts, 1.5 reb, and 0.5 TOs per game. In the 3 games where he played 10 minutes+ (15mpg), he averaged 2.3 pts, 0.66 asts, 1.6 reb, and 0.66 TOs on 25% from the field. Yes, Brooks went with Lawson starting in the second half of game 2 iirc, but Sato was not good in that series at all, or against Toronto in 10 games that season.

None of this is to justify Brooks' crazy rotations and playing time but certain things seem to get lost.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#427 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:28 pm

Dat2U wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:

Thank you for speaking some common sense on this topic.

What Sato stans don’t understand is that when he came over to the Wiz, he was used to the slow-paced Euro-style game and played tentatively, like he was afraid of making mistakes. He also couldn’t shoot a lick and needed to rebuild his jumpshot. The fact that he was an experienced player almost made it worse , because the Wizards coaching staff basically had to break him down and rebuild his game with different habits that fit the NBA game.

You can’t be an effective NBA point guard if you’re unable to bring the ball up within several seconds. Tomas would routinely get turned around in the backcourt due to ball pressure and would take him too long to initiate the sets.

You also can’t be an effective NBA point guard if you refuse to dribble downhill and get into the paint. Sato plays side-to-side instead of North-South, thus failing to occupy helpside defenders.

I don’t believe Brooks disliked Sato as a person, he just prefers aggressive downhill guards and Sato wasn’t that player.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#428 » by Kanyewest » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:08 pm

Don't think it was racist that Sato wasn't playing but he should have been playing sooner.

Many of us called for him to be playing against the Celtics in the 2017 playoffs especially when Brandon Jennings wasn't giving anything on either end of the court which resulted in Wall playing without a break in the 2nd half.

I think he was given a short leash against the Raptors. While Lawson played well, it still felt weird watching Sato getting few minutes given how well he performed in the regular season.

At least Brooks finally adjusted by starting Satoransky alongside Wall/Beal.

Scott Brooks is the same guy who played Eric Maynor over Nate Robinson in OKC (for whatever the reason Robinson's career stalled there) so maybe it is just a Scott Brooks thing to play the wrong guy at times.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#429 » by payitforward » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:19 pm

"Racism" isn't the right word; prejudice is. & it's not a loaded word either, as we all prejudge tons of stuff.

So, sure there are some prejudices operating about white players, about euro players, about guys who don't come out until they're seniors, about... a lot more stuff.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#430 » by BigA » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:13 pm

OK, Brooks isn't racist, just dumb.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#431 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:26 pm

FYI - Fred Katz did a Wizards Q&A on the Athletic, a few of his pertinent responses:

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#432 » by nate33 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:36 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:FYI - Fred Katz did a Wizards Q&A on the Athletic, a few of his pertinent responses:

That all sounds pretty good to me.

I'd like to see Troy Brown start and it's good to hear that the organization is raving about his improvement. And I also think it makes more sense for Hachimura to come off the bench. He can be a primary scorer, the role he is most familiar with, and he'll get to do it against backup-caliber defenders. Also, Bertans strikes me as a guy who will be more useful as a floor spacer for Beal and Bryant running the pick-and-roll.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,853

Post#433 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:49 pm

"Progression from the young guys and the organization" -- perfect. That's all that matters.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,337

Post#434 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:12 pm

Sneaky-Good NBA Offseason Additions

Davis Bertans, Washington Wizards

The Washington Wizards acquired Davis Bertans in a three-team deal this offseason via trade exception from the San Antonio Spurs. He has one year and a manageable $7 million remaining on the two-year, $14.5 million deal signed last offseason.

The 6'10" Bertans will be the starting power forward and give first-round pick Rui Hachimura time to develop.

Bertans, 26, is the long-armed floor-spacer the Wizards desperately needed. The franchise is short at the 3 and 4 positions with just CJ Miles, Troy Brown Jr. and rookie Admiral Schofield available to spell Bertans. He shot an impressive 42.9 percent from three last season on 4.4 attempts in just 21.5 minutes per game, good for sixth in the NBA.

He was also 12th in offensive rating (115.7) and sixth among forwards who played 40 games or more. His net rating of 7.6 was good enough for 20th among that same group.

A useful player in San Antonio, Bertans was traded to create space to sign Marcus Morris, who later reneged on his deal with the Spurs to sign with the Knicks. Bertans' workload will increase in Washington, and he could lighten the scoring burden on Bradley Beal while creating some much-needed space for the group.
Bleacher Report
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#435 » by gambitx777 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:59 pm

Best case he plays so well that we get to flip him for a first + at the dead line. Worst case we fall in love with his range and we have to go in to a Barron free agency and they to keep one of the best 3 men in the league when teams are probably going to be tossing big money one year deals at the guy .
Jamaaliver wrote:
Sneaky-Good NBA Offseason Additions

Davis Bertans, Washington Wizards

The Washington Wizards acquired Davis Bertans in a three-team deal this offseason via trade exception from the San Antonio Spurs. He has one year and a manageable $7 million remaining on the two-year, $14.5 million deal signed last offseason.

The 6'10" Bertans will be the starting power forward and give first-round pick Rui Hachimura time to develop.

Bertans, 26, is the long-armed floor-spacer the Wizards desperately needed. The franchise is short at the 3 and 4 positions with just CJ Miles, Troy Brown Jr. and rookie Admiral Schofield available to spell Bertans. He shot an impressive 42.9 percent from three last season on 4.4 attempts in just 21.5 minutes per game, good for sixth in the NBA.

He was also 12th in offensive rating (115.7) and sixth among forwards who played 40 games or more. His net rating of 7.6 was good enough for 20th among that same group.

A useful player in San Antonio, Bertans was traded to create space to sign Marcus Morris, who later reneged on his deal with the Spurs to sign with the Knicks. Bertans' workload will increase in Washington, and he could lighten the scoring burden on Bradley Beal while creating some much-needed space for the group.
Bleacher Report

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#436 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:07 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:FYI - Fred Katz did a Wizards Q&A on the Athletic, a few of his pertinent responses:

Spoiler:

Now is the time for every team to be optimistic. But hey, if Brown, Rui, and Bryant plus another of the newcomers have real good seasons, the season's probably a success.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#437 » by gambitx777 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:40 pm

I mean this team could definitely over achieve . Did y'all see rui just obliterate Argentina the other day. To be fair that team didn't have any one special on it but man he looked good!
Ruzious wrote:

Spoiler:

Now is the time for every team to be optimistic. But hey, if Brown, Rui, and Bryant plus another of the newcomers have real good seasons, the season's probably a success.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#438 » by prime1time » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:41 pm

Hard to imagine Bertans keeping Rui out of the starting lineup for any significant length of time. On a more interesting note, if Rui can effectively guard PF’s he’s going to be a major problem for other teams. A lot of talk about Rui’s offense but his defense is just as important. In interviews he’s said he can guard 1-5. If he can that will make our defense that much more effective. Also, we need Rui to rebound. I’m going to be very interested to see how many rebounds he averages and what his rebound rate is.
Shoe
Bench Warmer
And1: 956

Post#439 » by Shoe » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:36 pm

Coach Scott Brooks said that he thinks Bradley Beal can "average eight or nine assists a game."
In an interview with Sports Illustrated, Brooks raved about his superstar shooting guard. In particular, Brooks explained how he believes there is "no limit" to his upside and that Beal can become an elite distributor with John Wall sidelined. "I think [Beal] can average eight or nine assists a game. I think those are numbers that are attainable, and I think he's ready for that challenge," said Brooks. That's a seemingly unattainable goal, as Beal has never averaged more than 5.5 assists per contest in his career. However, Beal's fantasy value would continue to climb if he bumped his dimes up into the six or seven apg range.

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated
Aug 24, 2019, 1:29 PM ET
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#440 » by nate33 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:49 pm

prime1time wrote:Hard to imagine Bertans keeping Rui out of the starting lineup for any significant length of time. On a more interesting note, if Rui can effectively guard PF’s he’s going to be a major problem for other teams. A lot of talk about Rui’s offense but his defense is just as important. In interviews he’s said he can guard 1-5. If he can that will make our defense that much more effective. Also, we need Rui to rebound. I’m going to be very interested to see how many rebounds he averages and what his rebound rate is.

If Hachimura has a weakness, it's rebounding. He's not afraid to mix it up, but he doesn't seem to have a great nose for the ball.

Return to Washington Wizards