Rui Hachimura

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,348

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#441 » by nate33 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:44 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:Poor defensive play, miscommunicating a switch and leaving his man. Next play he pump fakes and assists a three:

https://streamable.com/jfkbd

I'm not sure I'd characterize that as a bad defensive play, at least not by Hachimura. His teammate got beat backdoor and that was a sure layup if Hachimura didn't hedge. Yeah, Hachimura gave up the jumper, but that's the right shot to yield in that scenario.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#442 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:12 am

nate33 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Poor defensive play, miscommunicating a switch and leaving his man. Next play he pump fakes and assists a three:

I'm not sure I'd characterize that as a bad defensive play, at least not by Hachimura. His teammate got beat backdoor and that was a sure layup if Hachimura didn't hedge. Yeah, Hachimura gave up the jumper, but that's the right shot to yield in that scenario.

Yeah on closer inspection you’re right, that was moreso on his teammate for getting beat backdoor initially.

Side note but Luis Scola is the ultimate “old man game” player , guy is 40yo and still putting on a clinic with crafty post skills. In his prime NBA days he used to give teams fits coming off the bench.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#443 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:15 am

Reposting since it got buried :

I wanted to take a closer look at the non-scoring elements of Rui's game vs Argentina so I dug into the full game highlights (still not as good as actual game footage but I couldn't find a replay)

Here he shows a quick reaction to a deflection, immediately starts the break with his head up and makes a great left-handed pass on the move. On time, on target:

https://streamable.com/7jtnf

A poor ballhandling turnover driving into traffic:

https://streamable.com/t6up3

Well executed two-man game in the high post (almost Nene-esque) that ends with him swishing a three. Next he grabs the ball off the rim, evades the defender with right to left crossover and pitches it to a teammate for a 3pt assist

https://streamable.com/95tmq

Gets the ball on the wing, quick in-and-out move - subtle, to occupy both defenders with his dribble - then makes a lookaway bounce pass to a streaking cutter for a layup. Nice play:

https://streamable.com/ky30s

Calls for a postup near the baseline while reading the help defense. Patiently accepts the double team and makes the right pass for an open 3pter:

https://streamable.com/4u6ml

Rebound and quick hit ahead pass:

https://streamable.com/dl1i6

Poor defensive play, miscommunicating a switch and leaving his man. Next play he pump fakes and assists a three:

Overall I was encouraged with a lot of what I saw . Hachimura seems to be improving on his court awareness/tunnel vision criticisms from his scouting reports. He shows upside as a ballhandler + decision-maker, granted he's not Lebron James out there by any means but he is doing a better job of reading help defenders and making the right play. He also showed that his handle in traffic still needs work, and defensively must be more aggressive in contesting shots (it seems like he knows he's the one player on his team who can't afford to get into foul trouble - but that won't be the case with the Wizards)
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#444 » by dangermouse » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:20 am

Who plays SF, Bertans or Rui, CJ or Troy?

Because I think Rui is going to be bumping one of them to the bench sooner rather than later
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,364

Post#445 » by doclinkin » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:03 am

dangermouse wrote:Who plays SF, Bertans or Rui, CJ or Troy?

Because I think Rui is going to be bumping one of them to the bench sooner rather than later

I think we will see Hachi next to Bertans at some point. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Troy as a point forward in some cases. In a positionless big formation where he plays a glue guy and facilitator in the midrange. And Bertans is basically a giant 2-guard.

Beal —off ball motion. Ball handler. Attacking guard.
Bertans — tall target for the catch and shoot 3fg.
Troy — facilitator, glue guy, smarts. Rebounding.
Hachimura — aggressive scoring outside-in
Bryant. — tall target for the catch and finish. Developing long ball game. Stretch the D when he’s on.

By the way I noticed Bertans also ranks high in that listing of points scored off zero dribbles. Cited as evidence of weak game I think that’s actually a strength. Catch and kill means you can’t cheat off your man for an instant since a smart passer will hit him for the instant score.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#446 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:26 am

Thank the lord for FIBA WC during the dregs of this summer (currently in a timezone where I can catch some games) .. Hachimura is putting on a show out there!

Japan beat Germany in a friendly, 86-83

Bonga: 6pts
Hachimura: 31pts (and had a good amount of passes that should’ve been assists if converted)

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#447 » by nate33 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:39 pm

dangermouse wrote:Who plays SF, Bertans or Rui, CJ or Troy?

CJ is recovering from surgery so he probably won't be 100% by the beginning of the season. And according to Fred Katz, the Wizards really want to avoid throwing Hachimura to the wolves right from the start. So with that in mind, it looks like the starting lineup is:

PG Ish
SG Beal
SF Brown
PF Bertans
C Bryant

Over time, Hachimura might work his way into the starting lineup, but not on Day 1. Hopefully, Brown will hold onto the starting role even after Miles gets back. Isaiah could conceivably move ahead of Ish in the rotation, but I suspect they'll be worried about overplaying him considering his injury history. Also, he seems ideal as a primary backcourt scoring option when Beal sits. They're going to want one of them on the court at all times.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#448 » by nate33 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:44 pm

Hachimura highlights:

This young man is going to be very good. He has legit star potential. The bottom line is that he can generate shots on his own whenever he wants to. That's a skill very few forwards have. It may be a few years before those self-generated shots become high percentage shots, but if he ever gets there, he could be a first rate scorer in this league.

I'm wondering if he'll ever develop 3-point range on that step back.

Here are overall game highlights which show a little of what Hachimura is doing when he isn't the one scoring.

Overall, his defensive instincts seem fine. He's in the right place. He got beat on a back screen once because his teammate didn't call it out. And there were one or two miscommunications with matchups where I'm not sure if it was Hachimura's fault or someone else's. Hachimura had a clutch blocked shot in the final 2 minutes with the game very close.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#449 » by nate33 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:21 pm

I think Hachimura is going to have a career something like Paul George, or even Bradley Beal. He'll be able to score right from the start (or by his 2nd year, at least) but for the first few years of his career, his efficiency will be so-so. He'll average around 18-20 points but with a TS% of .54 or something. People will say, "yeah, he can get buckets, but is he really helping the team?". But then, in his 5th season or so, he'll break out and suddenly start scoring with a TS% in the .580 range on really high volume, mostly unassisted. He will start making All-Star games and possibly All-NBA games if he becomes a good defender.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#450 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:10 pm

Wow...!

I remember seeing tons of video of PG in the run up to the '10 draft & thinking he was a lock to be a star. In particular, I vividly recall one in which he absolutely abused Nick Young -- admittedly not a good defender but, still, a guy with 3 years of NBA experience! PG just toyed with him.

If you are right about Rui, one thing's for sure: Tommy Sheppard goes to the top of the talent-evaluation chart!

Paul George wasn't much of a scorer his first few years in the league -- even in his 3d year he only put up 17.5 points a game (just over 18.5 per 40 minutes) & with below average efficiency. But, he was so solid in every other way... a terrific basketball player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#451 » by prime1time » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:51 pm

You can talk about having Brown Jr. start over Rui but it is not rooted in any basketball logic. I’ve said it from the beginning the man is an offensive force. Beal and George comparisons fail because Rui already has significantly more offensive skill than either of these players did coming I got heir first year in the league. At the end of the day we have to call a spade a spade. Rui should have very high expectations coming into the season.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#452 » by prime1time » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:16 pm

I’m excited to see Rui play against USA. There will obviously be a major talent gap, and I expect Pop and the USA coaches to come out with a weird defensive scheme but still. Go back and watch Rui vs. Duke. This USA guy that embraces and gets excited by those kind of big challenges. It’ll be interesting to see how he fares.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#453 » by JWizmentality » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:45 pm

So when do I get to stroke my own tootsie roll about being the only one on this board that was right about Rui? :D
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#454 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:14 pm

JWizmentality wrote:So when do I get to stroke my own tootsie roll about being the only one on this board that was right about Rui? :D

...when there's something to indicate you were right, I guess? Does that make sense? For example, lets see if he can play in the NBA... at all. Can you wait that long?

Don't get me wrong -- I hope you turn out to be a complete savant! The better Rui Hachimura is the happier I will be.

Also the "wronger" I will be, since I thought & still think standing pat at #9 & taking Rui was far far far from the best way to manage the 2019 draft. I hope I turn out to be totally wrong.

Still, until then, you bet, that's what we've had here: a lot of tootsie-roll stroking.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#455 » by nate33 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:12 pm

prime1time wrote:You can talk about having Brown Jr. start over Rui but it is not rooted in any basketball logic. I’ve said it from the beginning the man is an offensive force. Beal and George comparisons fail because Rui already has significantly more offensive skill than either of these players did coming I got heir first year in the league. At the end of the day we have to call a spade a spade. Rui should have very high expectations coming into the season.

We're talking about Opening Day, though. I've got no problems with bringing Hachimura off the bench in his first few games. It takes the pressure off, and allows him to develop a rhythm against NBA backups. Also, with him coming off the bench, it'll probably delay the amount of time for a scouting report to come out on him.

If Hachimura proves that he is clearly better than Brown or Bertans, then sure, he should move to the starting lineup.
CntOutSmrtCrazy
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,159

Post#456 » by CntOutSmrtCrazy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:01 pm

One thing with the KL comparisons that seems understated is that he kind of looks like he’s plays in slow motion while other people are in frenzy. I don’t think cerebral is quiet the word as he’s got some jazz to his game, but he just looks under control even when he’s not. Am I the only one getting that vibe?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#457 » by nate33 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:11 pm

CntOutSmrtCrazy wrote:One thing with the KL comparisons that seems understated is that he kind of looks like he’s plays in slow motion while other people are in frenzy. I don’t think cerebral is quiet the word as he’s got some jazz to his game, but he just looks under control even when he’s not. Am I the only one getting that vibe?

Yeah, it's the peace of mind knowing that he can get off that high-release step-back jumper whenever he wants. Like Kawhi, he's incredibly strong, he has long arms, a high release point, and big hands to protect the ball from being batted away. He doesn't really need to do anything frenetic to create space. He just leans in with that shoulder, gives a little shove, steps back, and rises up.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,217

Post#458 » by lambchop » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:32 pm

Props to the Wizards for letting Rui participate. NBA teams usually don't let rookies play international tournaments.

His potential looks amazing. Offensively he reminds me of antawn jamison. However, his ball handling looks promising, which means at some point he might be able to run pick and rolls.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Post#459 » by ruffian253 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:35 pm

Big Rui fan here and been keeping up on the wiz board since he was drafted. As already mentioned, going to be interesting to see him against team USA which will most definitely turn out to be "L", but i think that he'll carry his team past Czech and then the turkey game. If they beat Turkey and make it to the next round, i would say he would have more than proven himself against good competition and the " bar" should be raised even higher for him, like ROY, which will be tough considering the excitement and highlights for Zion
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#460 » by WallToWall » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:48 pm

I know this isnt the best competition, however, look at his shots... good release, nothing but net.

Return to Washington Wizards