ImageImage

2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - News/Trades/Transactions - Bucks Fined $50K for Tampering LOL

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - News, Trades and Transactions - Thabeet to work out 

Post#301 » by DrWood » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:54 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
DrWood wrote:willing to bet you that letting your muscles atrophy is not good for shooting.

muscle-bound isn't a thing unless you're doing something wrong or are a steroid-jacked-up-bodybuilder(who is still probably doing something wrong).

There's a lot of options between "atrophy" and having pound-for-pound literally some of the biggest shoulders and biceps in NBA history. Larry Bird said he never lifted weights except for a few forearm/wrist exercises for his shot, and he said Durant does the same thing. He believed that other muscles could get in the way of shooting form. Mourning once said he stopped lifting so much because it was affecting his shot. That's anecdotal, but statistically how many good/great shooters have huge upper body muscles? Lebron's shot regressed as he started "bulking up" more (read: dropping HGH like Ibuprofen). Giannis's shot has regressed since he filled out. There are lots of other factors and I'm sure there are counterexamples too, but there certainly seems to be enough evidence to at least make it a question worth asking.

And heck, maybe he is doing something wrong. Honestly things have gotten a little weird since Suki took charge, and some of the growth/changes in players have me asking questions in my head.

It just seems he's a little stiffer and more mechanical. It's not just his shot but also his handle. I don't remember him mishandling the dribble so much in previous seasons, although I didn't watch him much before he was a Buck.

really the only reason lifting could be a problem is if it's a zero sum game and minutes he could have spent practicing shooting instead went to lifting OR if he's practicing shooting in situations dissimilar to how he would during the season--for example if his shooting practice came after lifting whereas during the season he (wisely) didn't lift before games (because you don't want to have fatigued muscles). so, again, it's only a problem if he's doing something wrong.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,673

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - News, Trades and Transactions - Sign Jaylen Adams 

Post#302 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:02 pm

Oh god, not this discussion again. Somebody go and tell rookie Steph Curry how "bulking up" inhibits your shooting form. Remember that time when a bunch of old, crusty white dudes also told Tiger Woods that he should spend less time in the gym and it was "messing up his stroke"? Classic.
talbert
Junior
And1: 204

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - News, Trades and Transactions - Sign Jaylen Adams 

Post#303 » by talbert » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Oh god, not this discussion again. Somebody go and tell rookie Steph Curry how "bulking up" inhibits your shooting form. Remember that time when a bunch of old, crusty white dudes also told Tiger Woods that he should spend less time in the gym and it was "messing up his stroke"? Classic.

I think it's pretty well documented that all the Navy Seal training that Tiger Woods did not only messed up his swing but it also messed up his body. There was a lot of mental stuff in there too, but I don't think Tiger is a good example here.
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,674

Post#304 » by chonestown » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:44 pm

talbert wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Oh god, not this discussion again. Somebody go and tell rookie Steph Curry how "bulking up" inhibits your shooting form. Remember that time when a bunch of old, crusty white dudes also told Tiger Woods that he should spend less time in the gym and it was "messing up his stroke"? Classic.

I think it's pretty well documented that all the Navy Seal training that Tiger Woods did not only messed up his swing but it also messed up his body. There was a lot of mental stuff in there too, but I don't think Tiger is a good example here.

“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#305 » by emunney » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:53 pm

I know Steph is a big weight room proponent but I certainly wouldn't consider him bulky. There's clearly a threshold where bulk inhibits range of motion. That's not junk science, it's just physical inevitability. I couldn't tell you exactly where it is but it's pretty clear Bledsoe's farther along that scale than most guys.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Re: 2019 Bucks Off Season Thread - News, Trades and Transactions - Thabeet to work out 

Post#306 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:31 am

BUCKnation wrote:
KidA24 wrote:
Your pseudo science bull sounds like the crap that baseball players said in the 1980's.

broscience

You should know what big words mean before you use them. Pseudoscience, besides being just one word, is passing things off as scientific conclusions that haven't undergone any scientific method, but there's no better way to say I'm not passing this off as science than to say this might be an issue and to acknowledge that the evidence is anecdotal, both of which I did. But hey, don't let that get in the way of a chance to screw up the tone of a thread for no good reason. That's the fun of message boarding, right?

DrWood wrote:really the only reason lifting could be a problem is if it's a zero sum game and minutes he could have spent practicing shooting instead went to lifting OR if he's practicing shooting in situations dissimilar to how he would during the season--for example if his shooting practice came after lifting whereas during the season he (wisely) didn't lift before games (because you don't want to have fatigued muscles). so, again, it's only a problem if he's doing something wrong.

I said it might be an issue. You said it's not an issue but then listed a few reasons it could be an issue. Not sure where you're going with that or why, since in effect you're basically also saying it might be an issue.

"It might be an issue."
"It's not an issue unless he's doing something wrong."
"Okay... maybe he's doing something wrong."
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#307 » by DrWood » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:03 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:I said it might be an issue. You said it's not an issue but then listed a few reasons it could be an issue. Not sure where you're going with that or why, since in effect you're basically also saying it might be an issue.

"It might be an issue."
"It's not an issue unless he's doing something wrong."
"Okay... maybe he's doing something wrong."

I mean, I feel safe to assume that they wipe their ass after they take a ****. It's a reasonable assumption. Similarly, I feel it safe to assume that a professional athlete, with millions on the line, and with professional supervision, isn't doing what would obviously be stupid to do.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#308 » by DrWood » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:04 am

emunney wrote:I know Steph is a big weight room proponent but I certainly wouldn't consider him bulky. There's clearly a threshold where bulk inhibits range of motion. That's not junk science, it's just physical inevitability. I couldn't tell you exactly where it is but it's pretty clear Bledsoe's farther along that scale than most guys.

For Bledsoe, that might be > 275 lbs of muscle.
Again, and for the umpteenth time, "muscle bound" isn't a thing that happens without doing things really badly for a long time.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,896

Post#309 » by Plossum » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:08 am

Did you guys not see what happened to Trunks when he went super duper Saiyan against Trunks? Less weights and more rage needed.
#LockUpChuck
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 3,927

Post#310 » by theFireBlanket » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:57 am

muscle magnet.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,725

Post#311 » by emunney » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:56 pm

theFireBlanket wrote:Image

muscle magnet.

Where is MajorDad to like this photo?
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,018

Post#312 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:09 pm

That's exactly what **** up his game.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Post#313 » by skones » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:28 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:Damn, Spurs scooped Daulten Hommes from us.

Nice, bet he is on an nba roster next year.

He's making a mammoth jump in competition level. He's going to have to learn the game and accilmate. I'd imagine it takes 2 or 3 years before he sniffs a 2 way deal and I like Hommes.
DrWood
Head Coach

Post#314 » by DrWood » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:21 am

ReasonablySober wrote:

wrecking his back messed up his stroke.
laying around and getting fat didn't help.
Chapter29
RealGM
And1: 1,224

Post#315 » by Chapter29 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:44 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:

What? I think he hurt his back.

Also, I think his love life may have gotten in the way as well.

Lifting unless you're getting huge (Bledsoe is in this space) it isn't a factor IMO as long as your consistently shooting and lifting. I could see if you didn't practice or get up shots for a long time and put on some muscle that could be an issue maybe. And don't lift before games or anything. But other than that muscle is good until it limits range of motion IMO.

I've always been a pretty good shooter and I lifted quite a bit during my playing days. Back injuries have taken their toll on me as well.
Giannis
is
UponUs
yoshii8
Sixth Man
And1: 276

Post#316 » by yoshii8 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:57 pm

Saw on hoopsrumors that the Bucks are planning to workout Trevor Booker.
talbert
Junior
And1: 204

Post#317 » by talbert » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:10 am

Chapter29 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Lifting unless you're getting huge (Bledsoe is in this space) it isn't a factor IMO as long as your consistently shooting and lifting. I could see if you didn't practice or get up shots for a long time and put on some muscle that could be an issue maybe. And don't lift before games or anything. But other than that muscle is good until it limits range of motion IMO.

I've always been a pretty good shooter and I lifted quite a bit during my playing days. Back injuries have taken their toll on me as well.

Tiger Woods was doing Navy Seal training (lifting), which is how he hurt his back.
BroncoBuck
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,662

Post#318 » by BroncoBuck » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:19 am

talbert wrote:
Chapter29 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Tiger Woods was doing Navy Seal training (lifting), which is how he hurt his back.

Tiger was doing Navy Seal combat training that messed up his back. Dude was literally doing hand to hand combat and being pelted with rubber bullets. That ESPN podcast on that whole thing was insane.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#319 » by TroyD92 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:05 am

ReasonablySober wrote:

Not to get into a golf argument, but Tigers swing was extremely violent and that caused almost all of his knee and back problems. That's why he rebuilt his swing in the middle of his career.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#320 » by Chuck Diesel » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:03 pm

Jock Landale is hopeless on defense tho...

Read on Twitter

Return to Milwaukee Bucks