ImageImageImageImage

Official UCF Sports Thread - Basketball: NIT Bid? Football: Spring Practice Underway

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,416

Re: UCF Football #17: vs FAMU (8/29) 

Post#741 » by UCFJayBird » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:14 pm

As expected, Wimbush named QB1.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Unrelated: Disney is allowing signs into the Magic Kingdom for GameDay on Saturday.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#742 » by craig01 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:50 pm

As expected.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,310

Post#743 » by Knightro » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:58 pm

I was somewhat surprised to see that Heupel publicly announced Gabriel would also play in the first game.

Obviously I expected him to play, but I didn’t think they’d come right out and say it.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#744 » by nymets1 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:27 am

Several things come to my mind

1. I thought Wimbush would be the starter once he transferred here and before Darriel Mack got hurt
2. Does UCF and all other college teams have to announce their starting QB before they play game 1? I knew Wimbush would be the starter but did we have to announce it if we didn't have to and wait until tipoff for everybody to find out?

3. Disney's Magic Kingdom is still a bad choice to host the college game day but they have recovered a little bit by apparently letting signs now. If Signs are now allowed, I guess the same applies for flags and banners. The 2 downsides are still there's no tailgating outside Magic Kingdom and have to pay the park admission to get into Disney's Magic Kingdom to see college gameday. There's also concern with how close are any of the fans allowed to get to the set of College game day? If none of us can get anywhere close to the College game day set, Is there a TV to watch them and also will the volume/ speakers be clear and loud enough to hear everything they are saying. Because when UCF hosted College game day a lot of times I could not hear what they are saying because some people cannot shut up or talk quieter.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#745 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:08 pm

nymets1 wrote:2. Does UCF and all other college teams have to announce their starting QB before they play game 1? I knew Wimbush would be the starter but did we have to announce it if we didn't have to and wait until tipoff for everybody to find out?

Nah, teams don't have to. In fact in previous seasons UCF has played that game, waiting to announce the starter until game time so that the opposing team has to game plan for both QBs. But I don't think UCF is concerned about FAMU so no need to play that particular game, lol.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#746 » by tiderulz » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:21 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
nymets1 wrote:2. Does UCF and all other college teams have to announce their starting QB before they play game 1? I knew Wimbush would be the starter but did we have to announce it if we didn't have to and wait until tipoff for everybody to find out?

Nah, teams don't have to. In fact in previous seasons UCF has played that game, waiting to announce the starter until game time so that the opposing team has to game plan for both QBs. But I don't think UCF is concerned about FAMU so no need to play that particular game, lol.

a lot of times, coaches do it to stop getting asked the question every day leading up to the game.
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#747 » by UCF » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:35 pm

By saying both will play the other team had to prepare for both. That said, both or all three should play.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#748 » by craig01 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:47 pm

Espn posted this clip announcing ucf as the fourth power in the state of Florida on gameday today.

That was better exposure and cheaper than buying a billboard. Lol

Read on Twitter

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#749 » by UCF » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Unbelievable (to those who were around Pre-GOL) publicity for UCF. Hopefully a few more of these seasons of success and some league will make the move into central Florida by picking us up.
nymets1
Head Coach

Post#750 » by nymets1 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 9:44 pm

I went to College Game day at Disney today, I think it went as good as it could have gone considering its a theme park and the theme park can't bring the same atmosphere that a college campus can bring when its host their college game day. The 1 positive I took from today is I was right by both of the 2 speakers and I heard loud and clear almost the whole entire show what they were saying and I was close as I could possibly get to the Espn College Game day set so this part was better than College Gameday at UCF in terms of hearing and understanding what they were saying. After noon I went on space mountain and that was it.

Me being there at Disney to see College Gameday, I felt like its a honor and a privilege to be a Florida Citizen/ resident. I felt like any of us that were there, We are representing our school and us as a Florida Citizen/Resident.

No the College Gameday at Disney was nowhere as good as it was at UCF. There a lot of times the Disney crowd was quiet unless a camera is shooting in their direction or one of the employees was trying to pump up the crowd. The whole crowd for College Gameday at UCF was way stronger the whole 3 hours of 9am to 12 noon. UCF fans hosting their college gameday didn't need a camera filming at that or an employee trying to pump up the crowd. UCF showed when they hosted College Gameday on its campus that they can host College Gameday as good as any team in the country.

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#751 » by nymets1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:21 pm

Anyone going to the UCF vs FAMU? I want to go but FAMU sucks and is nowhere near close to competing with UCF that its not worth it for me. I'm going to USF vs Wisconsin tomorrow and looking forward to that because Wisconsin is ranked and they have Jonathan Taylor one of the best running backs in the country.

UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#752 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:23 pm

Game was what we expected, blowout win for UCF. Few thoughts...

~Wimbush looked about what we expected. He's fairly poised, able to pickup good yards and 1st downs with his legs. But his throwing isn't the best. He's got a cannon and a few of his deep balls were just too far, that could be a timing thing that gets better as the season goes on. His short passes were just ok. He had one really bad throw into triple coverage that should've been an INT.

-Gabriel looked really good. I'd stick with Wimbush for now, because it's just one game. But gotta feel good about UCF's future at QB. Really accurate.

-Gabe Davis is a beast out there. Next great WR out of UCF for sure.

-RB core is stacked. Otis & AK looked great. McCrae barely played which is fine. Thompson looked REALLY good too.

-Defense looked great. Granted it was FAMU, but 25 yards in the first half? only 1 first down? That's crazy good.

-Brandon(BAM) Moore going down hurts. Stupid play. Some will say he shouldn't have been in at that time, but Heup said he wanted to get a certain number of plays for his starters (which I kind of agree with). Could've happened at any point in the game really. Stuff happens. Refs should've blown play dead quicker than that too.
dsg2003mach1
Senior
And1: 462

Post#753 » by dsg2003mach1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:50 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:
-Brandon(BAM) Moore going down hurts. Stupid play. Some will say he shouldn't have been in at that time, but Heup said he wanted to get a certain number of plays for his starters (which I kind of agree with). Could've happened at any point in the game really. Stuff happens. Refs should've blown play dead quicker than that too.

If they'd blown it dead quicker, if the D line didn't get that stupid ass penalty to keep em on the field etc... sucks to see him go down on a meaningless play in a blowout
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#754 » by craig01 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:49 pm

Terrible injury for Bam Moore.

Hope his recovery is at 100%.

Interesting game.

O-line was not very good early on.

D-line was very active throughout the night

Overall it was a well played game with many areas to improve upon, but nothing major as weakness was evident.

Hopefully the fau game happens, otherwise the next game is Stanford. (I was hoping the qb’s would get another game under their belt before Stanford).

nymets1
Head Coach

Post#755 » by nymets1 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:11 pm

Lee Corso just brought up Brandon Wimbush on College Gameday!!

Playing 2 QB'S against Florida A&M is ok but now its time to only play 1 QB. If you keep playing 2 QB'S than there's that saying you have no QB and it can bring a QB controversy. Whoever gets BAM'S starting role better be ready to take over because the opposing QB might try to attack him.

I was really dissapointed in the USF vs Wisconsin game, I wanted a close finish at the end but USF couldn't score a point lol. So we shouldn't be scared of USF at all.

silent1900
Rookie
And1: 338

Post#756 » by silent1900 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:24 pm

nymets1 wrote:Lee Corso just brought up Brandon Wimbush on College Gameday!!

Playing 2 QB'S against Florida A&M is ok but now its time to only play 1 QB. If you keep playing 2 QB'S than there's that saying you have no QB and it can bring a QB controversy. Whoever gets BAM'S starting role better be ready to take over because the opposing QB might try to attack him.

I was really dissapointed in the USF vs Wisconsin game, I wanted a close finish at the end but USF couldn't score a point lol. So we shouldn't be scared of USF at all.

I was really surprised by how bad USF looked, especially since they were returning their QB. I would have thought speed would have given Wisconsin some problems if nothing else.

I am actually ok with us playing both (all three?) qbs, though normally I wouldn’t be. I think Wimbush has a visible ceiling, and that ceiling is something less than championship level. But it is also unrealistic to have a true freshman come in and play at a championship level as well. So get Dillon some reps while Brandon steers the boat for a while, then if we have to make a change later on we are better prepared to. Not to mention, injuries are always right around the corner.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#757 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:54 pm

Damm USF got destroyed 49-0.......
aka: prorl
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#758 » by craig01 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:03 pm

silent1900 wrote:
nymets1 wrote:Lee Corso just brought up Brandon Wimbush on College Gameday!!

I was really surprised by how bad USF looked, especially since they were returning their QB. I would have thought speed would have given Wisconsin some problems if nothing else.

I am actually ok with us playing both (all three?) qbs, though normally I wouldn’t be. I think Wimbush has a visible ceiling, and that ceiling is something less than championship level. But it is also unrealistic to have a true freshman come in and play at a championship level as well. So get Dillon some reps while Brandon steers the boat for a while, then if we have to make a change later on we are better prepared to. Not to mention, injuries are always right around the corner.

I agree with this post completely.

craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#759 » by craig01 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:10 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:Damm USF got destroyed 49-0.......

Don’t know what team that was on the field against Wisconsin, but that performance was an absolute disgrace to their program.

There are no excuses for that team to fall on its face like that.

USF isn’t very good, imo, and Wisconsin is in a transitional phase.

The qb for Wisconsin isn’t very good (as usual for Wisconsin), their o-line has four new starters. They were ripe for an upset.

I guess that the Wisconsin home field advantage Friday night really helped them overcome those obstacles.

UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod

Post#760 » by UCF » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:52 am

I felt like I was watching our 0-12 team when I was watching that game. All the talent needed is there but nothing to show for it. That loss hurts our entire conference because of how bad it was.

Return to Orlando Magic