ImageImageImageImage

Chuma Okeke drafted #16 by the Orlando Magic

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Re: Chuma Okeke drafted #16 by the Orlando Magic 

Post#921 » by ezzzp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:46 pm

drsd wrote:
ezzzp wrote:We’ll find out around the end of training camp - if not sooner.

Sure. But why isn't the O-Sen running weekly stories on this? And daily editorials?

Josh Robbins stated earlier this month that he asked Weltman, and Robbins stated that it was nothing, but didn't give any other details.

I imagine the FO has already told O-Sen and the other main reporters as well. Its pretty clear to me that its part of their strategy for the final roster spot(s) and that they are keeping options open and wisely not showing their cards prematurely.

That other 1st Rd picks have already signed means absolutely nothing. Just because something is customary (to sign the 1st Rd picks right away), doesn't mean that its a legal deadline. A savvy FO should be exploring how to maximize this situation, not falling in-line with traditions.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,650

Post#922 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:21 pm

ezzzp wrote:
drsd wrote:

Sure. But why isn't the O-Sen running weekly stories on this? And daily editorials?

I imagine the FO has already told O-Sen and the other main reporters as well. Its pretty clear to me that its part of their strategy for the final roster spot(s) and that they are keeping options open and wisely not showing their cards prematurely.

Crazy how good you are at interpreting their moves (and mostly non-moves). Especially in unprecedented situations.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,663

Post#923 » by MagicMatic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:48 pm

j-ragg wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
drsd wrote:

Crazy how good you are at interpreting their moves (and mostly non-moves). Especially in unprecedented situations.

They could suit up Stuff for 82 games and ezzp would find a way to rationalize it as a “savvy move” from this FO.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#924 » by drsd » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:21 pm

MagicMatic wrote:They could suit up Stuff for 82 games and ezzp would find a way to rationalize it as a “savvy move” from this FO.

Stuff has game !

STUFF's Backflip Bucket : LINK

ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#925 » by ezzzp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:05 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
ezzzp wrote:I imagine the FO has already told O-Sen and the other main reporters as well. Its pretty clear to me that its part of their strategy for the final roster spot(s) and that they are keeping options open and wisely not showing their cards prematurely.

They could suit up Stuff for 82 games and ezzp would find a way to rationalize it as a “savvy move” from this FO.

Yea, because I'm never critical of Bamba's rookie season or AG's ineffective mid range game etc...what you call "rationalize" is called having enough knowledge and experience of the game to asses the available information.

That's why I've been accurate about pretty much every FO step this summer...from the Vucevic signing (including $ amount and structure) to the why and how of the Mozgov waive (even got the exact order of signings correct).
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#926 » by ezzzp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:19 pm

j-ragg wrote:Crazy how good you are at interpreting their moves (and mostly non-moves). Especially in unprecedented situations.

Its not hard to read the patterns and make decent guesses once you've researched the CBA, salary cap and watched NBA for long enough.

I've been accurate about pretty much every FO step this summer...from the Vucevic signing (including predicting the $ amount and structure) to the why and how of the Mozgov waive (even predicted the exact order of signings correctly).

Some of the same people that are giving you and1's and commenting on this were the ones attacking those predictions and theories.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#927 » by MagicMatic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:42 pm

ezzzp wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
j-ragg wrote:Crazy how good you are at interpreting their moves (and mostly non-moves). Especially in unprecedented situations.

Yea, because I'm never critical of Bamba's rookie season or AG's ineffective mid range game etc...what you call "rationalize" is called having enough knowledge and experience of the game to asses the available information.

That's why I've been accurate about pretty much every FO step this summer...from the Vucevic signing (including $ amount and structure) to the why and how of the Mozgov waive (even got the exact order of signings correct).

You are definitely the smartest person you know.

Whether or not those decisions make sense in the long run is another story entirely.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#928 » by ezzzp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:46 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
ezzzp wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

Spoiler:

don't be so hard on yourself for being consistently wrong about everything...it'll get better for you someday big guy.
MagicMatic
RealGM

Post#929 » by MagicMatic » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:13 pm

ezzzp wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
ezzzp wrote:

don't be so hard on yourself for being consistently wrong about everything...it'll get better for you someday big guy.

Unlike you I could care less about being “right” on a message board where my opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things. “Calling” decisions the FO makes also means nothing. Just because you can predict bad or questionable decisions means nothing. Justifying every move while others are posing rational questions about said moves doesn’t do you any favors either.
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#930 » by ezzzp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:17 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Unlike you I could care less about being “right” on a message board where my opinion means nothing in the grand scheme of things. “Calling” decisions the FO makes also means nothing. Just because you can predict bad or questionable decisions means nothing. Justifying every move while others are posing rational questions about said moves doesn’t do you any favors either.

lmao ...keep trying

The team is finally trending up, with most predicting playoffs and articles and tweets regularly giving props to our team...yet here you are crying because the FO didn't make the moves you wanted. You are the one that actually cares about being "right" and thats why you are salty and desperate for any reason to attack the FO.

I back my opinions with substance, you and the Vuc haters are just mad because those opinions keep getting proven correct.

...if it was up to you, the Magic would keep tanking forever and everyone on roster would always be under 23
drsd
RealGM

Post#931 » by drsd » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:59 am

ezzzp wrote:The team is finally trending up, with most predicting playoffs and articles and tweets regularly giving props to our team...yet here you are crying because the FO didn't make the moves you wanted. You are the one that actually cares about being "right" and thats why you are salty and desperate for any reason to attack the FO.

I back my opinions with substance, you and the Vuc haters are just mad because those opinions keep getting proven correct.

...if it was up to you, the Magic would keep tanking forever and everyone on roster would always be under 23

For me this team was always going to be about two-years-from-now off season to make the "final push". (Could accelerate to next year if Fournier opts out).

Getting back on topic, I am not sure Okeke is more than bench depth looking at the next 2-3 years. This team has ambitions. In that sense, Okeke will me Aminu's replacement moving to 2022.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#932 » by Furinkazan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:16 am

ezzzp wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:

lmao ...keep trying

The team is finally trending up, with most predicting playoffs and articles and tweets regularly giving props to our team...yet here you are crying because the FO didn't make the moves you wanted. You are the one that actually cares about being "right" and thats why you are salty and desperate for any reason to attack the FO.

... if it was up to you this team would forever have 1st round exit ceiling
ezzzp
Head Coach

Post#933 » by ezzzp » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:55 am

Furinkazan wrote:
... if it was up to you this team would forever have 1st round exit ceiling

Houston, Toronto, Milwaukee, Utah, Denver, Miami, Boston etc

...all recent 2nd Rd and above teams that didn’t tank. Your comment is BS and totally inaccurate.

There are many ways to build a team. You are just addicted to the one were losing for half a decade is ok.

Tanking doesn’t guarantee s**t and more often than not turns teams into a basement dweller treadmill franchise that just keeps teaching young players how to lose.
NavalAviator94
Analyst
And1: 1,456

Post#934 » by NavalAviator94 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:20 pm

What I would like to know is if the Orlando Magic are allowed to purchase an insurance policy that covers Okeke's first round guaranteed earnings, without signing him to a contract. Who's looking out for this kid?
drsd
RealGM

Post#935 » by drsd » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:51 pm

NavalAviator94 wrote:What I would like to know is if the Orlando Magic are allowed to purchase an insurance policy that covers Okeke's first round guaranteed earnings, without signing him to a contract.

a) Yes. (or at least Lakeland could).

b) it would not cover pre-existing conditions, meaning it is a pointless policy.

Who's looking out for this kid?

Only his agent. Which is why he has not signed a Lakeland deal, i.e. a bad deal.

Okeke is financially better served to sign a two-year deal at 80% in both years than go to the G-league without some iron-clad "guarantee." But how can the Magic sign Okeke to next-year as a first year without waiting until the regular season is finished?

MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,089

Post#936 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:28 pm

drsd wrote:

Orlando media is soft that's why.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#937 » by MoMM » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:49 pm

Man, this situation is so weird, I just hope that he plays well for us someday and all of this mess becomes meaningless.

It's clear that Orlando didn't had an agreement in place with him before the Draft, otherwise we would already know about it for sure.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#938 » by GimmeDat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:31 am

Man, still no Okeke updates?

Fwiw, the NBL are saying 'there's still a few iron's in the fire' regarding their Next Star program. I'm not discarding all my hope that it could be a possibility, lol.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,205

Post#939 » by thelead » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:43 am

GimmeDat wrote:Man, still no Okeke updates?

Fwiw, the NBL are saying 'there's still a few iron's in the fire' regarding their Next Star program. I'm not discarding all my hope that it could be a possibility, lol.

What is the 'Next Star' program?
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#940 » by GimmeDat » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:19 am

thelead wrote:
GimmeDat wrote:Man, still no Okeke updates?

What is the 'Next Star' program?

It's an initiative the league here set up to attract young talent. LaMelo Ball and RJ Hampton (as well as Terry Armstrong) are playing here through it, as well as Didi Louzada (2nd round pick+stash by the Pelicans). Short answer of what it involves is basically the league paying the salary (instead of the team) for top NBA prospects (whether opting to play here instead of college or as a draft+stash situation) for them to play here. Obviously in return the NBL feels like they're getting invaluable overseas exposure as well as additional local interest.

Okeke could presumably be stashed on a team here for a year, rehab and once healthy play, then join you guys next season. I would've felt that was a bit of a far fetched possibility, but after I saw he wasn't signed after so long, and after Didi, who actually had a great SL and looks like he'll be an NBA contributor, got placed out here, I put it out there as a possibility on Twitter, and Chuma's brother liked the tweet, so I got my hopes up, haha. It's hard to figure out what other possible 'Next Stars' they could be alluding to, because most guys are signed or committed to college.

It's probably a long-shot still, but an option that I think is at least feasible given how unusual this contractual situation has been. I don't know the ins and outs of it, but I would presume that would save Okeke from impacting a roster spot/cap this year, they could get an extra year of rookie scale compared to signing him now, and Okeke could get paid handsomely for a year that will just be rehab for a decent chunk of the season. From the Magic's side, I would imagine they'd rather have him close by and with their G-League affiliate where they can keep closer tabs on his progress and development once healthy, though.

NBL rosters are pretty much set but iirc the 'Next Star' acquisitions don't count against the roster limit. Looking at team rosters, I think he'd be handy on the Adelaide 36ers or Cairns Taipans. Adelaide have a set roster/rotation but have mediocre backup SF/PF's who Okeke could easily take minutes from. The Taipans have some nice top end talent but the weakest bench in the league and he'd be a great boost for them.

Return to Orlando Magic