ImageImageImage

FIBA World Cup

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: FIBA World Cup 

Post#721 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:07 pm

The Comedian wrote:Brown should never be a high usage wing, IMO.

With the way he bulked up/added muscle, I’m expecting him to be more of a 4 next season— fits his natural offensive skill set much better IMO.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#722 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:46 pm

None of you even know what he looks like.

Khem Birch.

Derrick White, Joe Harris, the team used to have Larry Bird and David Robinson.

It used to have Joe Kleine.

More Scrubbs on Team USA or Team Canada?

Phil Scrubb, Thomas Scrubb, that is two.

In recent times, Team USA has lost every game when Kuzma has been unavailable.

Owen Klassen, a name you will never forgot.

Will watch the next game, just to see how horrible the coach is.

One would think, if you have four players from the same NBA team, and three who have played together a lot, maybe put them all on the floor at the same time and there could be cohesive play.

Another idea, Popovich is tanking on purpose.

Could be a lot of reasons for the elderly tanker to do that, although draft picks is not a reason this time.

Chucker Mitchell, a reason why Serbia or France or Spain is about to rule the world.
Celtics_History_Lesson
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,267

Post#723 » by Celtics_History_Lesson » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:00 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote: Cory Joseph is ok.

Joseph isn't there.

He refused to get on the plane.

Everyone waited and looked, and had him paged at the airport, but he wasn't found.

For a week, nobody knew where he was. Then someone said he was gone from the team.

A day later, Team Canada said he would, supposedly, appear in China just before the tournament starts.

Best was Team Canada's best player the other day.

If they had a player called Worst.

Obviously Team Canada is much better as Wiggins is not there. If Wiggins was there, they would have no chance.

Todd MacCulloch, a great player at the World Championships, of pinball.

Over 20 NBA players, all but three or four are boycotting, and Canada injured their best player by not wiping the floor.

Fifth-string Team USA versus Fourth-string Team Canada. Must-watch TV.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#724 » by return2glory » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:11 am

The thing on this board is it’s entertaining and most times an easy trend to spot, especially when it comes to the young guys.

When a Celtic player has a really good game, he is going be an all-star. And following a bad game, they aren’t that good and are a disappointment. Why can’t it be neither? Why can’t it come be one game?

Personally, I look for consistency. Usually about a month or more of neither good or bad play. Right now, when it comes to Tatum or Brown, we haven’t seen any consistency for a decent amount of period for good or bad play. Until they can show a sustained level of good games at high levels, they will be who they are.

Having said that, I see this year were Tatum steps his game up to another level. I except the same from Gordon Hayward, with another year being removed from the injury.
return2glory
RealGM

Post#725 » by return2glory » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:21 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

With the way he bulked up/added muscle, I’m expecting him to be more of a 4 next season— fits his natural offensive skill set much better IMO.

6’6 4 who doesn’t rebound much or gets blocks or changes shots? And he has never proven to be physical in the post. I hope it’s only in limited minutes if at all.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#726 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:41 am

return2glory wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

6’6 4 who doesn’t rebound much or gets blocks or changes shots? And he has never proven to be physical in the post. I hope it’s only in limited minutes if at all.

He’s 6’7 with a 7’ wingspan and fantastic athleticism. He can guard 1-4 in spurts but is best served to go against 2/3. On offense, with the three wings Stevens is likely to employ, he’s best served to play as more of a 4.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#727 » by GregB » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:00 am

return2glory wrote:The thing on this board is it’s entertaining and most times an easy trend to spot, especially when it comes to the young guys.

When a Celtic player has a really good game, he is going be an all-star. And following a bad game, they aren’t that good and a disappointment. It’s just how it is. Accept it or don’t.

Just the way the world is now. Everyone is obsessed with instant gratification.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#728 » by Slartibartfast » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:29 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
return2glory wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

He’s 6’7 with a 7’ wingspan and fantastic athleticism. He can guard 1-4 in spurts but is best served to go against 2/3. On offense, with the three wings Stevens is likely to employ, he’s best served to play as more of a 4.

I think it fits offensively, but he has some learning to do before he's ready to defend 4s. His best defensive assets are his quickness and his ability to absorb contact from driving guards and wings. That's a different animal than fighting to deny post and rebounding position, challenging paint shots and providing consistent rim defense.

He was pretty lost trying to handle Australia's bigs.
return2glory
RealGM

Post#729 » by return2glory » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:55 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
return2glory wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

It’s going to be interesting to see who can guard 4s in our starting lineup. Both Tatum and Brown with have some problems with big 4s that bang.

Hopefully, teams will have a hard time containing our starting five. Personally I’m looking for more impact this year from Tatum and Hayward. Not expecting too much from Brown other than who he is. And improvements from Brown would be a bonus for me.

This team IMO, will be centered around Kemba, Tatum and Hayward. Guys like Kantar, Brown, Smart, Edwards, Theis, French big man, a will have their moments.

Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#730 » by Slartibartfast » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:19 am

Looking through the FIBA competition, Greece, Serbia and France are all quite formidable. Each has a single player I'd take over any of the players on USA. All have very solid support pieces too. The way Greece passes the ball is pretty remarkable - Calathes is really good. Serbia is just loaded with talent and toughness. France is getting talked about much, but Gobert is even deadlier with FIBA rules and they've got excellent length and skill around him.

The next tier is harder to gauge because I don't know the players as well. Spain is tough, but aging and lacking in scoring pop. Obviously Australia is a capable foe. Italy, Germany, Lithuania, Turkey, Canada and Brazil all have some respectable talent too.

Team USA's advantage over all of them is depth and speed. The problem is the former advantage is mitigated by the shortness of the games. So it's all about speed.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#731 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
return2glory wrote:

I think it fits offensively, but he has some learning to do before he's ready to defend 4s. His best defensive assets are his quickness and his ability to absorb contact from driving guards and wings. That's a different animal than fighting to deny post and rebounding position, challenging paint shots and providing consistent rim defense.

He was pretty lost trying to handle Australia's bigs.

Im not sure were not saying the same thing.

Ben Simmons is considered a 1 because its his position on offense. He doesnt defend 1’s. Similarly, I view Browns best position on offense as the 4, but am not expecting that to mean that he will cover 4’s defensively full time.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#732 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:25 pm

return2glory wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
return2glory wrote:

It’s going to be interesting to see who can guard 4s in our starting lineup. Both Tatum and Brown with have some problems with big 4s that bang.

Hopefully, teams will have a hard time containing our starting five. Personally I’m looking for more impact this year from Tatum and Hayward. Not expecting too much from Brown other than who he is. And improvements from Brown would be a bonus for me.

This team IMO, will be centered around Kemba, Tatum and Hayward. Guys like Kantar, Brown, Smart, Edwards, Theis, French big man, a will have their moments.

Im not sure who’s going to defend 4’s primarily next year. I’m guessing we start with Hayward against most and size up against the bigger 4’s by sliding in Theis. Tatum cannot defend them at all and Brown can only do so in small spurts, IMO. I’m guessing we try to run bigger 4’s off the court, another advantage of playing Brown at the 4 [offensively only, for clarity].

The guy I’ve always maintained as Brown’s ceiling is Richard Jefferson. Hoping Brown can get up to 15-7 next year, though the boards are a stretch for sure. I do want him to play similarly to RJ, where he shoots open 3’s, makes strong cuts and tries to push the ball in transition.

I’m not as bullish on Hayward, though— I think he can be a guy that will have awesome advanced stats, but he needs to be our 3rd/4th option, looking to create more than score. I’d be thrilled if he did 14/5/5 or 14/6/6. I’m not expecting him to score more— he couldnt beat his man off the dribble last year without a pick and he has lost explosion. We also need Tatum to grow into that role to actualize our potential.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#733 » by cloverleaf » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:44 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
return2glory wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Im not sure who’s going to defend 4’s primarily next year. I’m guessing we start with Hayward against most and size up against the bigger 4’s by sliding in Theis. Tatum cannot defend them at all and Brown can only do so in small spurts, IMO. I’m guessing we try to run bigger 4’s off the court, another advantage of playing Brown at the 4 [offensively only, for clarity].

The guy I’ve always maintained as Brown’s ceiling is Richard Jefferson. Hoping Brown can get up to 15-7 next year, though the boards are a stretch for sure. I do want him to play similarly to RJ, where he shoots open 3’s, makes strong cuts and tries to push the ball in transition.

I’m not as bullish on Hayward, though— I think he can be a guy that will have awesome advanced stats, but he needs to be our 3rd/4th option, looking to create more than score. I’d be thrilled if he did 14/5/5 or 14/6/6. I’m not expecting him to score more— he couldnt beat his man off the dribble last year without a pick and he has lost explosion. We also need Tatum to grow into that role to actualize our potential.

Hayward to me looked bulked up for the 4 for his 5-minute season, but this season he looks and has said he is trimmed down. I think Tatum is better equipped for playing down there at this point than Hayward. And I just don't see Brown being suited there for more than a few spot minutes either. I think Tatum, Theis and Grant get the minutes there this year.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,208

Post#734 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#735 » by cloverleaf » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:42 pm

GregB wrote:
return2glory wrote:The thing on this board is it’s entertaining and most times an easy trend to spot, especially when it comes to the young guys.

When a Celtic player has a really good game, he is going be an all-star. And following a bad game, they aren’t that good and a disappointment. It’s just how it is. Accept it or don’t.

I don't think most posters here swing that widely. Rather, the young guys' boosters come out in force when they play well, as their detractors do after bad games.
return2glory
RealGM

Post#736 » by return2glory » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:41 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
return2glory wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I expect big things from Hayward this season. I see him scoring between 16-19 points per game and getting close to an all star level. I expect him to be more explosive than last year and get back to being more aggressive like he was in Utah.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#737 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:08 am

Celtics_History_Lesson wrote:None of you even know what he looks like.

Khem Birch.

Is he related to John Birch?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,311

Post#738 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:36 am

cloverleaf wrote:
GregB wrote:

I don't think most posters here swing that widely. Rather, the young guys' boosters come out in force when they play well, as their detractors do after bad games.

I liked Tatum and Smart more than Jaylen or Rozier. All were good picks where they were taken, IMO. Ready to see more from Tatum this year, but no one should have been too mad about any of them if their expectations were reasonable coming in. My opinions on all four of those guys has moved glacially, rather than game to game or even year to year.

Now to those who thought Rozier was a better prospect than Smart, or that Jaylen is a future star, can’t help you there lol.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,208

Post#739 » by Parliament10 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 am

Aug. 26: Team USA vs. Canada, 5:30 a.m.
Boxscore to come.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/team-usa-basketball-schedule-watch-final-exhibition-game-ahead-of-2019-fiba-world-cup-live-stream-tv-channel-time/
Team USA exhibition schedule
All times Eastern

Friday, Aug. 9
Team Blue 97, Team White 78 (Takeaways)

Friday, Aug. 16
Team USA 90, Spain 81 (Takeaways)

Thursday, Aug. 22
Team USA 102, Australia 86 (Takeaways)

Saturday, Aug. 24
Australia 98, Team USA 94 (Takeaways)

Monday, Aug. 26
Team USA vs. Canada, 5:30 a.m. (NBA TV)

Team USA World Cup schedule
Team USA is in Group E for pool play, along with the Czech Republic, Japan and Turkey. They will play each team one time, with the top-two teams in the group advancing to the second round.

All times U.S./Eastern

Sunday, Sept. 1
First round: Team USA vs. Czech Republic, 8:30 a.m. (ESPN+)

Tuesday, Sept. 3
First round: Team USA vs. Turkey, 8:30 a.m. (ESPN+)

Thursday, Sept. 5
First round: Team USA vs. Japan, 8:30 a.m. (ESPN+)
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,839

Post#740 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:56 am

With Olynyk out, Team USA has a chance.

Return to Boston Celtics