Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#761 » by azwfan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:51 am

Samurai wrote:
killmongrel wrote:I honestly can't believe that some people are entertaining the idea of melo on the team. What does it accomplish? DLO integrating to the team is the no. 1 priority. Finding out which rookies and young players work for the team going forward is a priority as well. Id rather find out what we have in terms of personnel than maybe winning some meaningless games here and there because we have Melo on the team for 1 year. He doesn't move the needle, and might hurt the development of the young players. So what is the benefit? I don't have positive hopes for McKinnie, but at least he could be part of the team's future if he impresses.

I think its more like "one person" advocating for Melo rather than "some people". I'd be surprised if any other posters are pushing for Melo. I don't think offense will be our biggest challenge this season - with guys like Burks, Poole, GR3 (if the Indy version shows up instead of the Detroit version) and Paschall on the bench, we have more shooters on the second unit than we did last season. I think our bigger challenge will be on defense and I am not convinced Melo knows how to spell that word, let alone play it. We also had issues being out-rebounded last year and I think McKinnie moves the needle much more on the glass than Melo.

Not sure if wanting McKinnie to earn his roster spot over any possible competition is "advocating" for Melo, but if that is what passes for advocating around these parts - so be it.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#762 » by Samurai » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:21 am

azwfan wrote:
Samurai wrote:
killmongrel wrote:I honestly can't believe that some people are entertaining the idea of melo on the team. What does it accomplish? DLO integrating to the team is the no. 1 priority. Finding out which rookies and young players work for the team going forward is a priority as well. Id rather find out what we have in terms of personnel than maybe winning some meaningless games here and there because we have Melo on the team for 1 year. He doesn't move the needle, and might hurt the development of the young players. So what is the benefit? I don't have positive hopes for McKinnie, but at least he could be part of the team's future if he impresses.

I think its more like "one person" advocating for Melo rather than "some people". I'd be surprised if any other posters are pushing for Melo. I don't think offense will be our biggest challenge this season - with guys like Burks, Poole, GR3 (if the Indy version shows up instead of the Detroit version) and Paschall on the bench, we have more shooters on the second unit than we did last season. I think our bigger challenge will be on defense and I am not convinced Melo knows how to spell that word, let alone play it. We also had issues being out-rebounded last year and I think McKinnie moves the needle much more on the glass than Melo.

Not sure if wanting McKinnie to earn his roster spot over any possible competition is "advocating" for Melo, but if that is what passes for advocating around these parts - so be it.

You can call it whatever you prefer. But if someone says "Not gonna lie -- Carmelo Anthony for the Warriors I think I want to see!", I would equate wanting to see Melo on the Dubs as equivalent to advocating for Melo. But my point is that I would still be surprised if another poster would share that opinion for the reasons I stated.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#763 » by Scoots1994 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:39 am

Lots of camp tryouts were expected anyhow. And they are not likely to sniff McKinnie's spot, they will be trying for a two-way or just a spot in Santa Cruz.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#764 » by azwfan » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:48 am

Samurai wrote:
azwfan wrote:
Samurai wrote:I think its more like "one person" advocating for Melo rather than "some people". I'd be surprised if any other posters are pushing for Melo. I don't think offense will be our biggest challenge this season - with guys like Burks, Poole, GR3 (if the Indy version shows up instead of the Detroit version) and Paschall on the bench, we have more shooters on the second unit than we did last season. I think our bigger challenge will be on defense and I am not convinced Melo knows how to spell that word, let alone play it. We also had issues being out-rebounded last year and I think McKinnie moves the needle much more on the glass than Melo.

You can call it whatever you prefer. But if someone says "Not gonna lie -- Carmelo Anthony for the Warriors I think I want to see!", I would equate wanting to see Melo on the Dubs as equivalent to advocating for Melo. But my point is that I would still be surprised if another poster would share that opinion for the reasons I stated.

LOL, I must've missed that post. My bad! I thought the reference was to me wanting to see someone push McKinnie for his job. I'll take the L. You are right. :D
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#765 » by Mylie10 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:48 pm

I think the fact that McKinnie's contract isn't fully guaranteed says all you need to know about him needing to "Earn" his spot.

I guarantee the thought process with the Warriors is this...."we like what you did last year, but we need to see improvement in this this and this. Work on that and come out and show us you belong"

He has the inside track be ause of what he did do in a positive light. He's not perfect, but the kid was undrafted and extremely cheap. So of course there are areas to improve. Almost every young guy in the league needs to improve.

And let's not forget that last training camp, the Warriors we're kind of looking at Danuel House as the bench guy they would add. Zo out shot him, out hustled him, and out rebounded him.

Kerr likes him. He knows the plays and where he needs to be on the floor. He's a great rebounder and has shown flashes of being a decent 3 point shooter. He's got good size that can have him switch on the perimeter. He can spell minutes at the 4 if needed.

Seeing as how we have so many new players, Kerr is going to be pulling his hair out with guys not knowing how the play is run, and where to be at any given moment. Just from that standpoint alone, McKinnie will be ahead and most of them.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#766 » by wco81 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:06 pm

I think McKinnie is more about getting his next contract than about guaranteeing the full season for this one.

They're not going to get anyone else on a minimum deal better than him, especially if they cut him in January, unless his play really falls off a cliff.

He needs to put out a good tape for when he's looking for a new contract.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,793

Post#767 » by cdubbz » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:43 pm

I really do like mckinnie for his boards. did pretty well in the playoffs.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#768 » by cdubbz » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:54 pm

I know the Warriors don't need anu PR nightmares or anyone else to sell tickets. BUT does adding Melo add respect to the Warriors from their peers? (I know as fans it doesn't matter) but Warriors have been disrespected for far too long amongst players. Curry not the players MVP, Green as most overrated, Klay not on 3rd.team AL NBA, Etc. (ok some of it is media).

It does bum me out knowing the Warriors weren't universally loved by everyone. I didn't see Curry being disrespected so much and Klay.

is having Melo for a farewell tour the distraction we need for Curry to flourish? (wow prob not) but Melo would drive so much love and appreciation for a farewell tour.

eh kinda wish we got Vince Carter for this instead
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,891

Post#769 » by Samurai » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:31 am

cdubbz wrote:I know the Warriors don't need anu PR nightmares or anyone else to sell tickets. BUT does adding Melo add respect to the Warriors from their peers? (I know as fans it doesn't matter) but Warriors have been disrespected for far too long amongst players. Curry not the players MVP, Green as most overrated, Klay not on 3rd.team AL NBA, Etc. (ok some of it is media).

It does bum me out knowing the Warriors weren't universally loved by everyone. I didn't see Curry being disrespected so much and Klay.

is having Melo for a farewell tour the distraction we need for Curry to flourish? (wow prob not) but Melo would drive so much love and appreciation for a farewell tour.

If "street cred" from other players is the goal - personally I think that should be last on the list of priorities in terms of making the team better - then I think adding VC would have scored more political points than Melo. Obviously the VC boat has already sailed but I do NOT see Melo as being as beloved by other players as Vince.

But I think that the goal for the front office is to improve the team. They addressed some of the offensive shortcomings of our bench by adding shooters like Poole, Burks and potentially Paschall. But we still have not added anyone who comes close to making up for the defensive loss of Andre. And I do NOT see Melo as being that guy. We need McKinnie to improve his defense over last season. Personally I have some faith that McKinnie can show some incremental defensive improvements; I have zero faith that Melo can or would even strive to.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#770 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:00 am

NBA players respect athletes. The Warriors are too small, too slow, too cerebral, and if you listen to them, too light skinned, to get respect.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,276

Post#771 » by killmongrel » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:34 am

cdubbz wrote:I know the Warriors don't need anu PR nightmares or anyone else to sell tickets. BUT does adding Melo add respect to the Warriors from their peers? (I know as fans it doesn't matter) but Warriors have been disrespected for far too long amongst players. Curry not the players MVP, Green as most overrated, Klay not on 3rd.team AL NBA, Etc. (ok some of it is media).

Who.

F'ing.

Cares?

Hehe, I don't give an f about the team getting worthless props from other salty players.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#772 » by cdubbz » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:35 pm

killmongrel wrote:

Who.

F'ing.

Cares?

Hehe, I don't give an f about the team getting worthless props from other salty players.

I.

F’ng.

Care.

The melo thing not so much but the disrespect the Warriors (specifically Curry/Kerr) get is ridiculous.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,635

Post#773 » by Coxy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:07 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:NBA players respect athletes. The Warriors are too small, too slow, too cerebral, and if you listen to them, too light skinned, to get respect.

I don't live in the states, so all of this chatter is pretty ridiculous to me. The Warriors, especially Steph, are mad respected here in Australia, and I know are really revered in the UK as well. Different cultures I guess.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#774 » by Mylie10 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:25 am

Coxy wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:NBA players respect athletes. The Warriors are too small, too slow, too cerebral, and if you listen to them, too light skinned, to get respect.

I don't live in the states, so all of this chatter is pretty ridiculous to me. The Warriors, especially Steph, are mad respected here in Australia, and I know are really revered in the UK as well. Different cultures I guess.

A lot of the media here has caught up to Steph's greatness now, and there isnt much negative chatter at all. Most of his disrespect over the last several years has been from players and former players especially. But even some of them are coming around now.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Coxy
RealGM

Post#775 » by Coxy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:21 am

Mylie10 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

A lot of the media here has caught up to Steph's greatness now, and there isnt much negative chatter at all. Most of his disrespect over the last several years has been from players and former players especially. But even some of them are coming around now.

Why the negativity from the players? Is it because he isn’t built like Lebron and doesn’t throw down highlight dunks like Vince? Is it because he doesn’t come across as some lame ass gangsta personality? Australians LOVE fun, humble athletes and despise flashy, ego maniacs like nothing else, that’s why athletes like Steph resonate with the people here.
Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#776 » by Quazza » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:20 am

Coxy wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Why the negativity from the players? .

I always got the feeling it was because he came from money
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#777 » by Mylie10 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:15 pm

Quazza wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Silver Spoon, light skin, isn't big or imposing. Nice.
Khoee wrote “
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#778 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:13 pm

cdubbz wrote:The melo thing not so much but the disrespect the Warriors (specifically Curry/Kerr) get is ridiculous.

Take the disrespect AS respect. It's much worse to be ignored and insignificant.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#779 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:16 pm

Coxy wrote:Why the negativity from the players? Is it because he isn’t built like Lebron and doesn’t throw down highlight dunks like Vince? Is it because he doesn’t come across as some lame ass gangsta personality? Australians LOVE fun, humble athletes and despise flashy, ego maniacs like nothing else, that’s why athletes like Steph resonate with the people here.

You nailed it. Someone 6'7" 230lbs looks at Steph and says "I can physically dominate him" and that's where it stops. They respect players they can't dominate. It's pretty dumb really. Even now when someone in the media puts Steph above LeBron, KD, Kawhi, etc in a list they have to defend their decisions far more than if they rank Steph outside of the top 5.
Coxy
RealGM

Post#780 » by Coxy » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:21 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Quazza wrote:
Coxy wrote:

Silver Spoon, light skin, isn't big or imposing. Nice.

Light skin? Is that really a thing?

Return to Golden State Warriors