Kings General Discussion 2019-2020

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,706

Re: Kings General Discussion 2019-2020 

Post#101 » by Sactowndog » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:19 am

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/are-the-sacramento-kings-postseason-bound/

Not sure if the Kings make the playoffs but seems like a reasoned article.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,760

Post#103 » by BoogieTime » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:27 am

becorz wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:But there is little reason for the Kings to render it now when they can most likely match it next off season

The benefit for Buddy taking less is getting that long term dough. Anything injury wise can happen. He’s coming off a rookie deal. Secure big time money is what the Kings have to make him take less or just match next offseason

If the Kings can get Buddy to agree to an extension that is not a designated rookie extension, they need to sign him to it immediately.

The Kings can't afford to lose Buddy. Buddy knows this. I am sure the Kings want to keep Buddy happy and there is no better way to do that than $20+ million a year. Why delay the inevitable? The only downside is if Buddy gets hurt, but his skill set is such that an injury shouldn't harm him, long term.

It is pretty clear that Fox is getting the designated rookie extension when he comes up. And Bagley, if he develops as the Kings would hope, also might be in that territory. You can only have two designated rookies.

The Kings aren't going to have cap space next year. There is little downside to signing Buddy to an extension. If he agree to the non-designated rookie max, just sign the man.

Issue is retaining Fox/Bagley/BOgi/Giles/Barnes too if Giles is the player many on this board think he may get to. Damn hard paying Buddy 30 even with the rising cap. I hope we can get some type of discount by next month
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,845

Post#104 » by dckingsfan » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:47 am

Fox, Hield and Barnes crack the top 100. You know that Bagley will be there next year. Seems to bode well for the upcoming season.

https://www.si.com/nba/top-100-nba-players-2020#10-1
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#105 » by dckingsfan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:42 pm

Five N.B.A. teams (Rockets, Kings, Clippers, Lakers and Nets) are holding their annual media day Friday, with their first training camp practices scheduled for Saturday. The teams are permitted an early jump on things because they play exhibition games abroad...
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#106 » by dckingsfan » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:53 pm

Kayte Christensen: Walton says Marvin Bagley “can be everything” defensively and mentioned Buddy Hield’s strength and size as an asset that can make him a tremendous perimeter defensive player. Also brings up Fox’s speed as a huge contributor to Kings’ team defense.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#107 » by BoogieTime » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:59 am

dckingsfan wrote:Kayte Christensen: Walton says Marvin Bagley “can be everything” defensively and mentioned Buddy Hield’s strength and size as an asset that can make him a tremendous perimeter defensive player. Also brings up Fox’s speed as a huge contributor to Kings’ team defense.

I haven’t been this excited for a season in a decade. I’m expecting playoffs.

Ariza came into camp in super shape too. I wrote him off for dead, but he’s fit. May surprise me off the bench

Walton, I mean I’ve thought he is a downgrade from Joerger, especially given my personality for liking hard nosed coaches, but his players coach vibe may prove me wrong, despite the extracurricular stuff
sacking123
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,348

Post#108 » by sacking123 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:39 am

Watch Fox and Buddy put themselves in the top 2-3 PG/SG combos of the NBA this season thanks largely to the Mamba camp.
The only thing this team really needs is that guy to put up his hand as the #1 superstar player. That will drive the Kings not only to POs but contention.
Bagley has the potential to do so, however I don’t expect it to happen until 20/21. Stranger things have happened though.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#109 » by sacking123 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:50 am

BoogieTime wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:Kayte Christensen: Walton says Marvin Bagley “can be everything” defensively and mentioned Buddy Hield’s strength and size as an asset that can make him a tremendous perimeter defensive player. Also brings up Fox’s speed as a huge contributor to Kings’ team defense.

Ariza came into camp in super shape too. I wrote him off for dead, but he’s fit. May surprise me off the bench

Walton, I mean I’ve thought he is a downgrade from Joerger, especially given my personality for liking hard nosed coaches, but his players coach vibe may prove me wrong, despite the extracurricular stuff

Ariza will be great for the Kings (if he isn’t expected to play 25+mpg which he won’t).
I do find it funny that you would think it’s a downgrade from Joerger.
I gave DJ plenty of credit for changing the game style last year, but how many people honestly wouldn’t have? Honestly I ask you with the roster DJ had the last 2 years how many coaches would have not only gone against the trend of the NBA, but the trend of a young team and their strengths in great speed and 3pt shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#110 » by BoogieTime » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:17 am

simonbampfield wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Ariza will be great for the Kings (if he isn’t expected to play 25+mpg which he won’t).
I gave DJ plenty of credit for changing the game style last year, but how many people honestly wouldn’t have? Honestly I ask you with the roster DJ had the last 2 years how many coaches would have not only gone against the trend of the NBA, but the trend of a young team and their strengths in great speed and 3pt shooting?

I mean, I believe we were one of the top two or three teams in surpassing Vegas preseason win odds last year, and you can do a search on how the wider community viewed the shift from Joerger. Actually you can read SactownRoyalty contributor round table discussion, it was roughly the same

It’s also a personality thing I guess. I tend to view it as the team maybe surpassed odds because someone was putting a foot to booty, and like hard nosed coaches.

But that’s to be determined now. I wasn’t for letting Joerger go, but the players like and respect Walton so far it seems. Let’s see how it plays out
sacking123
Assistant Coach

Post#111 » by sacking123 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:16 am

BoogieTime wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:I haven’t been this excited for a season in a decade. I’m expecting playoffs.

I mean, I believe we were one of the top two or three teams in surpassing Vegas preseason win odds last year, and you can do a search on how the wider community viewed the shift from Joerger. Actually you can read SactownRoyalty contributor round table discussion, it was roughly the same

It’s also a personality thing I guess. I tend to view it as the team maybe surpassed odds because someone was putting a foot to booty, and like hard nosed coaches.

But that’s to be determined now. I wasn’t for letting Joerger go, but the players like and respect Walton so far it seems. Let’s see how it plays out

Yeah well to be honest I trust and respect your opinion more than what betting odds or someone that doesn’t follow the Kings has to say just to be popular. Sactown Royalty, I respect in regards that they have a finger on the pulse.

Still I ask you, more simply, what coach wouldn’t have changed their game plan like he did. Vlade has a vision and that includes giving young players a chance to shine and let it fly on occasion and learn on the job which DJ is completely against. His type of coach is so far out of fashion it’s not funny. Let’s hope basketball fans can keep up with the vision
Sacramento Kings
Sydney Kings
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#112 » by BoogieTime » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:48 pm

simonbampfield wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

Yeah well to be honest I trust and respect your opinion more than what betting odds or someone that doesn’t follow the Kings has to say just to be popular. Sactown Royalty, I respect in regards that they have a finger on the pulse.

Still I ask you, more simply, what coach wouldn’t have changed their game plan like he did. Vlade has a vision and that includes giving young players a chance to shine and let it fly on occasion and learn on the job which DJ is completely against. His type of coach is so far out of fashion it’s not funny. Let’s hope basketball fans can keep up with the vision

To be fair to DJ, I thought his level of playing youngsters was commensurate to how much they helped the team win. If Marvin/Giles were on top of their games, or the team had momentum, that’s when their minutes lengthened. But both of their advanced stats left something to be desired, which reflected Joerger’s opinion that playing them big minutes might not have helped the team win and make a playoff push, which is arguably his job (as opposed to developing).

Luke might be in a better position to win and play the youngsters this year, because I anticipate the youngsters being better
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#113 » by dckingsfan » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:18 am

KF10 wrote:

But damn that carbon footprint! :D

As of Saturday morning, the players and a few select coaches will now board ‘Air Drake’ for the estimated 22-hour flight to India. The $220 million private jet is As of Saturday morning, the players and a few select coaches will now board ‘Air Drake’ for the estimated 22-hour flight to India. The $220 million private jet is spacious and built for luxury.spacious and built for luxury.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,232

Post#114 » by blind prophet » Tue Oct 1, 2019 1:20 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/255541/Duncd-On-Camp-News-Roundup-with-Danny-Leroux;-SAC-Outlook-w-James-Ham

Podcast on the Kings with Ham. Was ok, much better than what most national guys do on the Kings normally.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#115 » by BoogieTime » Fri Oct 4, 2019 7:31 am

Let’s get the season on guys!

Today’s game is on tape
longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#116 » by longfellow44 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 8:39 pm

I think this is probably the year that we end the drought and make it back to the playoffs. I think we are likely better than most give us credit for. Fox looks ready to make a leap, Buddy did last year. Barnes should be playing SF again which quickly improves our defense. Bagley has a year under his belt and should be capable of more than just hustle plays and ISO's. And I think our two big man additions in Deadmon and Holmes will payoff massively on the defensive end. Not to mention we have fantastic depth, with Joseph, Bogdan, Giles, and Ariza.

I think 45-47 wins is completely do-able with this roster. The real question will be if that is enough wins to get into the playoffs in the west.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#117 » by BoogieTime » Sat Oct 5, 2019 3:08 am

Some good some bad from today’s preseason game

Buddy/BOgi/Barnes looking good, like wings that will keep this franchise competitive in the near future
Holmes, who I think is our steal of the summer, may be coming for that starting spot, playing well

Fox/Bagley left some to be desired though. Fox needs to be consistently attacking game long, and I don’t want to see him coming up empty on three consecutive possessions with the game in the balance in the 4th, that’s just cavalier and not winning mentality. He also missed clutch FT in OT. Bagley, was just rough all around (bad rebounding/defense, awkward O). Bit disconcerting, but one preseason game. Raises the youth Joerger dilemma though if it continues, do you force feed minutes to him if others are playing better like Bjelica/Holmes/Dedmon/going small etc. That’s if it continues, he has the talent to do better
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#118 » by Tiny ball » Sat Oct 5, 2019 7:46 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:I haven’t been this excited for a season in a decade. I’m expecting playoffs.

I loved
Joerger. I think Walton is ok. I would never have fired Joerger.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#119 » by SacKingZZZ » Sat Oct 5, 2019 11:35 pm

Tiny ball wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
simonbampfield wrote:

I loved
Joerger. I think Walton is ok. I would never have fired Joerger.

Joerger wore out his welcome. It happens. Coaches don't usually last as long as he did undergoing the major transition with a roster that the Kings did.
dckingsfan
RealGM

Post#120 » by dckingsfan » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:11 pm

Jason Jones: Walton acknowledged the defense needs a lot of work but added: “There’s no reason to panic” nothing the King were working with “two-and-a-half days of prep work.”

Return to Sacramento Kings