Pythagoras
Analyst
And1: 3,282

Re: Dwight Howard to Lakers 

Post#81 » by Pythagoras » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:10 pm

ShaqFu wrote:
Pythagoras wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:
Yeah....couple things about this I liked: A) Apparently he arrived a day early, and really impressed the staff with his attitude and play. B) I guess he had a meeting with a handful of the players, and convinced them that he was humbled. Stop and think about that. You gotta sit there with 5-6 of your peers. Guys that you once looked down on, and you have to essentially 'beg' them to give you a chance. How can't he be a changed person after that?

C) I like that our players take this team serious, and wanted to meet with Howard. I really like all angles of that part of the story.

Look....do I think we just landed the rebirth of "super Howard"? No. The guy's 34, and wearing a host of back surgeries. So let's not think this guy saves us. But if he's willing to bring his lunch-box, and do what's asked of him....he'll be a good rebounder...a decent defender/rim protector....and he's a capable big-man who can draw 6-fouls when called. Something we desperately needed. Of the guys available.....I see him as clearly the 'biggest upside' of them all. He took a non-guaranteed contract....so there we go.

If he actually gets with the program...he's a nice option / clean up guy. Has skills...can perform on big lights, and can legit contribute to this team's success. So let's hope it works.

My issue is, it’s hard to see how the risk/reward of Howard is greater than the risk/reward of Noah. So far we’ve only heard Kidd preferred Howard, and that’s not exactly a good reason in my book to bring in a guy with his history...

For me, the Howard risk is more worth while because Howard (injuries aside) never had any conditioning issues in his career. Noah looked like he couldn't play on back to back nights last season. Howard also rebounds better and plays better defense than Noah, you can check the numbers for yourself on basketball-reference. I'd rather take my shot at a former 8x allstar, 3x DPOY for the position and role we need to fill than someone who has never accomplished that before paired with the conditioning.

Howard hasn’t been an all star since 2013, and hasn’t won DPOY since 2010. You’re talking about what Noah looked like last year while ignoring that Howard has massive back issues that caused him to miss nearly the entire season. Noah played and had a positive impact on D.

If we’re just grabbing guys based on rep we should’ve just grabbed IT and Melo.
Numbers rule the universe.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#82 » by Ckay » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Read on Twitter
stan francisco
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,538

Post#83 » by stan francisco » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:10 pm

Ckay wrote:
Read on Twitter

Reminds me of MWP.

Maybe Dwight should take mind power classes from Ron.
PG: D Lo / Reaves / Vincent(IL) / JHS
SG: Christie / Dinwiddie / Lewis / Mays
SF: LBJ / Prince / Reddish / Windler
PF: Rui / Vando(IL) / LBJ
CTR: AD / Hayes / Wood

Modern era NBA titles:
LAL 11, CHI 6, SAS 5, BOS 5, GSW 4
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#84 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:49 pm

Why not just put it all on the line, and take #69
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
TyCobb
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 9,804

Post#85 » by TyCobb » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:13 am

LAKESHOW wrote:Why not just put it all on the line, and take #69

:lol:
Read more, learn more, change your posts.
Ball so hard
Sixth Man
And1: 677

Post#86 » by Ball so hard » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:35 pm

tamaraw08 wrote:
Landsberger wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:I don’t remember Magic talking about redeeming himself and being humbled and hitting rock bottom when he came on board. We knew who he was and there were no statements about him changing. Not saying D12 second coming can’t backfire just saying totally different situations.

Not what they say.... It's who they are. Let's circle back after we have our first tails in the season and see if Howard has changed.

I am betting if you use a polygraph on him, he will pass that lie detector test right now. The question is how exactly would he react when face the situation of being benched for various reasons. When he doesn't get touches, when he can't switch to the perimeter, when the team goes on a losing streak?
Some fans here think, it's ok, he is not being asked to do many things, all they need from him is defense and toughness for 15-20 minutes, well my reply to that is might as well get Noah then, bec you know this guy will dive for the loose balls even when he doesn't get touches, regardless of how many mins he play etc.
But I really think they are taking a chance bec deep inside they know they can't beat Utah,Denver and esp the Clippers with this lineup if the only player who can "possibly" tilt the balance is with Dwight wreaking havoc inside along with AD. Clippers biggest vet is Zubac. Harrell is 6-8 and if they can get the ball inside, it's going to favor the Lakers.

I'm not afraid of Denver. I think we match-up quite favorably with this team.
crazy8ights
Analyst
And1: 75

Post#87 » by crazy8ights » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:21 pm

3 + 9 = 12 stay woke
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,504

Post#88 » by zimpy27 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:14 pm

Ckay wrote:
Read on Twitter

The pose of a man who has been humbled
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#89 » by BEazy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:51 pm

I think thats an old photo photoshopped.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
ShaqFu
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#90 » by ShaqFu » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:39 pm

zimpy27 wrote:
Ckay wrote:
Read on Twitter

The pose of a man who has been humbled

That's an old photo
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,061

Post#91 » by Hoopz Afrik » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:05 pm

I know a lot of folks are scorned by his first stint with the Lakers and rightfully so but I don't think this is a bad idea at all. For what it's worth, I do believe he's humbled himself because he def hit "rock bottom" in terms of how things have spiraled out of control for him within the past 9-10 months.

Bomani Jones, made some good points about Dwight that I generally agree with. I'm cautiously optimistic about this move. Relatively low risk, medium-high reward.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by stan francisco » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:57 pm

Okay then. I accept it as a fact. Don’t like it one bit.

What to do with Dwight? Two words: short leash.

Give him simple instructions and goals. Be strict about enforcing it when he goes outside of his boundaries, which he will.

I see him starting on some nights due to sheer size (Embiid, Jokic etc), but I expect McGee to be our most commonly starting C. Both with 22 min.

I’d still like to add Noah.

Modern era NBA titles:
lalalaker
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#93 » by lalalaker » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:22 am

one thing i dont like about shot blocking centers is they arent good at switching on pick and roll defenders and hate getting away from the rim against stretch 4s and 5s which to me is always there ego to show off. my especial hate is all the idiots that swat the ball so hard instead of keeping it in play. why do you give opponents another opportunity at scoring. for Dwight he should play extra hard in the small mins hes on the court and trust me we can always tell if the player isnt giving his all or not. post up i dont mind him doing but if he is setting a pick he better be a damn wall instead of some weakass screen bc he wants to roll to the rim. aint no dam screen if the defender isnt stopped from chasing and its my personal opinion but i hate then stupid ass pick that dont do S..T to create mismatch or advantage.
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#94 » by iamworthy » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,177

Post#95 » by LAKESHOW » Wed Sep 4, 2019 6:23 pm

iamworthy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Excellent move by DH. Actions is what we need from this position
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
danfantastk32
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,633

Post#96 » by danfantastk32 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:34 pm

Pythagoras wrote:
danfantastk32 wrote:
stan francisco wrote:Per the wiretap, Howard had pleaded to Lakers that he hit rock bottom last year and is looking to find a new mindset.

Well, he’d ****ing better.

Yeah....couple things about this I liked: A) Apparently he arrived a day early, and really impressed the staff with his attitude and play. B) I guess he had a meeting with a handful of the players, and convinced them that he was humbled. Stop and think about that. You gotta sit there with 5-6 of your peers. Guys that you once looked down on, and you have to essentially 'beg' them to give you a chance. How can't he be a changed person after that?

C) I like that our players take this team serious, and wanted to meet with Howard. I really like all angles of that part of the story.

Look....do I think we just landed the rebirth of "super Howard"? No. The guy's 34, and wearing a host of back surgeries. So let's not think this guy saves us. But if he's willing to bring his lunch-box, and do what's asked of him....he'll be a good rebounder...a decent defender/rim protector....and he's a capable big-man who can draw 6-fouls when called. Something we desperately needed. Of the guys available.....I see him as clearly the 'biggest upside' of them all. He took a non-guaranteed contract....so there we go.

If he actually gets with the program...he's a nice option / clean up guy. Has skills...can perform on big lights, and can legit contribute to this team's success. So let's hope it works.

My issue is, it’s hard to see how the risk/reward of Howard is greater than the risk/reward of Noah. So far we’ve only heard Kidd preferred Howard, and that’s not exactly a good reason in my book to bring in a guy with his history...

Dwight turns 34 in December....Noah turns 35 two months later. I gotta go back to 13-14 season when Noah last gave good production. Dwight averaged a double-double in the 17-18 season, and was .8 rebounds from a double-double in the few games he did play last year. Your talking about a guy who's a year younger....who was a vastly better player at his best, who still shows the much better stats over the last 4-5 years. It's the attitude thats in question.

I don't think there is ANY upside to Noah at this point. A barely serviceable backup. If Dwight gives you the numbers of last season....your looking at 13points and 9 boards in 25 minutes. If we can get 9-10 points and 7-8 rebounds in 20minutes out of Dwight, I think you can consider him a great pickup for a non-guaranteed min. With a ceiling of 17-ish points and 12-13 rebounds....that's miles better than anything you hope to get out of Noah. And those numbers are Dwight's from the 17-18 season, so hardly this "fantasy". Best-case scenario...and not likely. But not fantasy.
Penberthy
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#97 » by Penberthy » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:50 am

So did he turn out to be gay? Not that theres anything wrong with that...
iamworthy
RealGM
And1: 8,909

Post#98 » by iamworthy » Thu Sep 5, 2019 1:53 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21
BEazy
RealGM
And1: 2,483

Post#99 » by BEazy » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:19 am

Penberthy wrote:So did he turn out to be gay? Not that theres anything wrong with that...

Nah, he said in an interview that hes not.

Long Live The Black Mamba. Kobe Bean Bryant Laker For Life. 8/24
stan francisco
Lead Assistant

Post#100 » by stan francisco » Thu Sep 5, 2019 3:30 am

iamworthy wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sounds promising, but I want to see it, not hear him talk cheap BS. :D

At least he ate some serious humble pie. He realized that he has to put in some serious blue collar hard work in order to stay in town. That’s what’s required to win Laker nation over, too, and he knows it. He needs to do exactly what he said, shut up and put his head down, go to work.

Modern era NBA titles:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers