ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: GONYK, Thugger HBC, Jeff Van Gully, King of Canada, j4remi, Capn'O, mrpoetryNmotion, mpharris36, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, K-DOT

User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,540
And1: 22,396
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#861 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:09 am

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
cgmw wrote:So it begins.

I’m telling you this team is built to be be an underdog media darling. Especially if (when) BK struggles.


So true.

If people think this is a Knicks town, wait until the media has a chance to start pushing the "Knicks return to relevancy" narrative, which many of them will do in a heartbeat if they can do it without getting egg on their face.

Most of them do expect us to become relevant, so you're spot on that they'll rip Brooklyn to shreds just as easily given the chance.

If this is a surprise season for the Knicks and their record is close to Brooklyn's, you'll see that shift in the media.

They need a punching bag so this is the perfect set-up.

If Brooklyn does well, they can keep punching us for a little while longer, but not for very long.

If Brooklyn falters, its a Buzzfeed sports dream come true. The knives will come out (x2 if we excel).


It would be a dream come true to not be a joke in the media. I don't care about BKN at all though. If they are good...it makes for more meaningful rivalry games if//when we get there. Yeah...part of me wants them to fail...let's be real.


I don't read most of the media stories or click on the bait many here do. The only time I've clicked on anything SAS in recent years was the Melo interview and that was an atrocious remnant of SAS' historical sycophancy with Melo, not in the least bit something you could call sports journalism.

I could give a flying donut what the media writes about the Knicks. If they write something good, I'll read it, but they're not fans so the only time I care is when they behave like actual journalists which is increasingly rare.
User avatar
Are We Ther Yet
General Manager
Posts: 8,011
And1: 5,744
Joined: Nov 07, 2012
       

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#862 » by Are We Ther Yet » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:21 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
So true.

If people think this is a Knicks town, wait until the media has a chance to start pushing the "Knicks return to relevancy" narrative, which many of them will do in a heartbeat if they can do it without getting egg on their face.

Most of them do expect us to become relevant, so you're spot on that they'll rip Brooklyn to shreds just as easily given the chance.

If this is a surprise season for the Knicks and their record is close to Brooklyn's, you'll see that shift in the media.

They need a punching bag so this is the perfect set-up.

If Brooklyn does well, they can keep punching us for a little while longer, but not for very long.

If Brooklyn falters, its a Buzzfeed sports dream come true. The knives will come out (x2 if we excel).


It would be a dream come true to not be a joke in the media. I don't care about BKN at all though. If they are good...it makes for more meaningful rivalry games if//when we get there. Yeah...part of me wants them to fail...let's be real.


I don't read most of the media stories or click on the bait many here do. The only time I've clicked on anything SAS in recent years was the Melo interview and that was an atrocious remnant of SAS' historical sycophancy with Melo, not in the least bit something you could call sports journalism.

I could give a flying donut what the media writes about the Knicks. If they write something good, I'll read it, but they're not fans so the only time I care is when they behave like actual journalists which is increasingly rare.


Oh...I agree. I don't follow any of it. I'm just tired of the BS. The team is heading in the right direction. Anyone with a brain can see that. How long it takes to contend is the only unknown. I'm enjoying being a fan since Perry stepped in and killed Melo to Houston for a bag of dogshyt. It would just be nice to see the narrative change around this team. Winning will help that. I don't care about the Nets...but I don't want them to win one before the Knicks do.
a knick fan forum. not a "argue ad nauseam about narratives and biases you hold like blood feuds that span decades" forum, you sentient buttplug. - Marty McFly :lol:
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 31,869
And1: 26,468
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#863 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:32 am

Jumper looking wet
Read on Twitter


Hops never get old
Read on Twitter
Cavs Nation
Dennis Smith Jr/Dunn/Cook
Zach Lavine/Frank Jackson/Brown Jr
Jayson Tatum/Osman/O'Neale
Julius Randle/DFS/Bolden
Deandre Ayton/Bam

It's like when n*ggas make subliminal records
If it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,540
And1: 22,396
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#864 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:37 am

3toheadmelo wrote:Jumper looking wet
Read on Twitter


Hops never get old
Read on Twitter


I preferred DSJr's jams

He has good airborne body control which is key. Just hops alone don't make you a threat if you can't convert with hands in your face
User avatar
BKAY
Analyst
Posts: 3,001
And1: 1,213
Joined: Apr 08, 2011
       

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#865 » by BKAY » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:37 am

As a longtime DSJ skeptic, I have to admit he has been putting in the work you want to see in the off season. Its at the point, where not a week has gone by without some clip recently. Working on his shot and hopefully is stronger on defense. If those two things happen, he is shaping up to be a solid starting pg for us.
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 31,869
And1: 26,468
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#866 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:42 am

Bill f*cking Russell!!
Read on Twitter
Cavs Nation
Dennis Smith Jr/Dunn/Cook
Zach Lavine/Frank Jackson/Brown Jr
Jayson Tatum/Osman/O'Neale
Julius Randle/DFS/Bolden
Deandre Ayton/Bam

It's like when n*ggas make subliminal records
If it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
HerSports85
General Manager
Posts: 7,520
And1: 5,472
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#867 » by HerSports85 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:15 am

DSJR jumper looks super wet
DaGawd
RealGM
Posts: 14,740
And1: 12,669
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
Location: Queens, NY
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#868 » by DaGawd » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:11 am

Please let Smiff Jr have an all star leap dear lord... We deserve it
ny-n-md
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,347
And1: 933
Joined: Dec 10, 2009
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#869 » by ny-n-md » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:50 am

Man the season can’t get here fast enough! DSJ is looking tough! The most underrated player on our team.
Image
January 31, 2019 RIP KP
You’re dead to me. LOL
User avatar
F N 11
RealGM
Posts: 49,355
And1: 22,880
Joined: Jun 27, 2006
Location: Getting over screens with Gusto.
Contact:
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#870 » by F N 11 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:42 pm

Knicks gunna have a breakout year imo. We have a team full of slept on talent. The difference is they all want to get better.
Ntilikina/Knox/Mitch/RJ ARMY
amit wrote:Frank prime will be like 10 ppg. Hes not that kind of PG and we knew it since he got drafted. Thats why scorers players around frank will be the bast for him
HerSports85
General Manager
Posts: 7,520
And1: 5,472
Joined: Dec 22, 2011
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#871 » by HerSports85 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:13 pm

DSJR and Randle should have a break out year. Mitch should be improved. Just need RJ to have a decent rookie outing. And I still believe Knox have the potential to be really good.
User avatar
DaT WaVeY RiCaN
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,320
And1: 1,169
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Location: 860 CT
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#872 » by DaT WaVeY RiCaN » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:37 pm

HerSports85 wrote:DSJR and Randle should have a break out year. Mitch should be improved. Just need RJ to have a decent rookie outing. And I still believe Knox have the potential to be really good.

Knox can also have a breakout season. I expect that season 3 for him.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,737
And1: 12,968
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#873 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:40 pm

BKAY wrote:As a longtime DSJ skeptic, I have to admit he has been putting in the work you want to see in the off season. Its at the point, where not a week has gone by without some clip recently. Working on his shot and hopefully is stronger on defense. If those two things happen, he is shaping up to be a solid starting pg for us.


lack of clips doesn't mean you're not working. but i feel you. DSJ is showing us the effort, and i've got nothing but respect for that. it was a concern of mine in the pre-draft with him. remained a concern in DAL. it's go time for him and many young players who've gotten a season or three under their belts.

very much looking forward to how it looks on the court.
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,737
And1: 12,968
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#874 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:42 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:DSJR and Randle should have a break out year. Mitch should be improved. Just need RJ to have a decent rookie outing. And I still believe Knox have the potential to be really good.

Knox can also have a breakout season. I expect that season 3 for him.


absolutely no reason to be counting knox out. this team can be a lot better than people think.
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 19,737
And1: 12,968
Joined: Jul 31, 2010
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#875 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:42 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Bill f*cking Russell!!
Read on Twitter


now that's hard. major flex. bill doesn't just say things to say them.
RIP magnumt

all we got iz us szn(s)
User avatar
DaT WaVeY RiCaN
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,320
And1: 1,169
Joined: Jan 23, 2013
Location: 860 CT
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#876 » by DaT WaVeY RiCaN » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:44 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
HerSports85 wrote:DSJR and Randle should have a break out year. Mitch should be improved. Just need RJ to have a decent rookie outing. And I still believe Knox have the potential to be really good.

Knox can also have a breakout season. I expect that season 3 for him.


absolutely no reason to be counting knox out. this team can be a lot better than people think.

Having 3 guys with that potential plus RJ and Iggy is crazy to think about how Knicks have never been in this situation in my life. Lol
User avatar
3toheadmelo
RealGM
Posts: 31,869
And1: 26,468
Joined: Feb 15, 2015
 

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#877 » by 3toheadmelo » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:00 pm

Some good stuff
On the surface, through two years, Smith seems like he’s on the right track. According to Cleaning the Glass, Smith’s assist percentage as a rookie was in the 88th percentile for his position, which was fantastic. After he spent the beginning of last season in Dallas without the ball in his hands, as much thanks to Luka’s arrival, he fell to the 47th percentile, but bounced back up to the 85th percentile with the Knicks.

Assist percentage is a deceiving statistic though, as it simply measures the percentage of teammates’ made shots a given player assists on. If a guy handles the ball a lot and isn’t a complete and total gunner, he’s going to do well here (just take a look at last year’s leaderboard for proof).

Assist ratio gives a little better feel for who the league’s true distributors are by measuring the percentage of a player’s possessions that end in an assist. Here, DSJ clocked in at 22.4 percent, good for 116th in the NBA. Put in context, other players in the 93 to 123 range included Mike Conley (93rd), LeBron James (97th), Kyrie Irving (98th), D’Angelo Russell (102nd), Damian Lillard (121st) and DeMar DeRozan (123rd). Translation: Smith Jr. distributed at the rate of an All-Star-level ball-handler when he was most decidedly, umm…not one of those sorts of folk.



The signs are there. In his short time in New York, not only did he get better in the pick and roll, but he drew shooting fouls at a much higher clip (10.3% of the time according to CTG, in the 81st percentile among point guards), he hardly ever turned it over (the Knicks gave it away 3.5% less with him running the show, in the 98th percentile) and he actually defended like he gave a damn more often than not (the team’s defensive rating improved by 8.4 points per 100 possessions with him on the court).
Cavs Nation
Dennis Smith Jr/Dunn/Cook
Zach Lavine/Frank Jackson/Brown Jr
Jayson Tatum/Osman/O'Neale
Julius Randle/DFS/Bolden
Deandre Ayton/Bam

It's like when n*ggas make subliminal records
If it ain't directed directly at me, I don't respect it
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
Posts: 7,049
And1: 4,876
Joined: Mar 11, 2014

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#878 » by NYKHardKnock » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:18 pm

My god if we have DSJr & Randle break out as all-stars, still very young guys. Wit I guys like RJ, Knox, and Mitch developing. It’ll be the most exciting season in a long time
User avatar
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
Posts: 44,983
And1: 9,542
Joined: Jul 29, 2005
Location: nyc

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#879 » by blueNorange » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:06 pm

NYKHardKnock wrote:My god if we have DSJr & Randle break out as all-stars, still very young guys. Wit I guys like RJ, Knox, and Mitch developing. It’ll be the most exciting season in a long time

lol

who gives a f about all stars, being an all star means nothing ... its a popularity contest.

just be good on both ends, that matters the most -- you can be an all star and also suck ass(see melo).
LOL Y U MAD THO?
Image
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
User avatar
BKlutch
General Manager
Posts: 9,652
And1: 5,863
Joined: Jan 11, 2015
Location: Jamaica, NY
     

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#880 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:38 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Bill f*cking Russell!!
Read on Twitter

Dennnis better be careful - he's about to hit his head on the backboard!
.
.
----------------------
Killa Knickzzz Kidz

Return to New York Knicks