ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Hong Kong, China, United States and NBA

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

DOLPHIN2020
Veteran
And1: 1,138

Re: OT: Time claims Hong Kong as the new West Berlin 

Post#61 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:40 am

blanko wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Good for the protesters in HK. They need to stand up to Xi.
Actually no they don't. I mean unless you are willing to join them in chinese gulag.

Sent from my SM-N960N using Tapatalk
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#62 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:26 am

T
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,830

Post#63 » by matchman » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:31 am

tuna108 wrote:https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3023564/shocking-video-shows-hong-kong-police-beating

Two Hong Kong policemen arrested over assault on elderly man held for drunken behaviour

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour of the cops in the embedded video.

To 1.7 million protesters marching in a heavy rain on last Sunday, Chief Executive is still denying the 5 major demands and keep fooling around.

At the same time there are rumours that China would like to end this struggle before their national day on Oct 1. :noway:
Are you fans of the team or the player?
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#64 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:42 am

matchman wrote:
tuna108 wrote:https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/law-and-crime/article/3023564/shocking-video-shows-hong-kong-police-beating

Two Hong Kong policemen arrested over assault on elderly man held for drunken behaviour

Absolutely disgraceful behaviour of the cops in the embedded video.

To 1.7 million protesters marching in a heavy rain on last Sunday, Chief Executive is still denying the 5 major demands and keep fooling around.

At the same time there are rumours that China would like to end this struggle before their national day on Oct 1. :noway:
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,673

Post#65 » by Pointgod » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:37 pm

blanko wrote:
Actually no they don't. I mean unless you are willing to join them in chinese gulag.

People shouldn’t be comfortable living under the thumb of an authoritarian state. You just proved their point by mentioning Chinese gulags.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#66 » by matchman » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:21 pm

MrOrange
Senior
And1: 417

Post#67 » by MrOrange » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:31 pm

Possibly. many people in Hong Kong were born there when it was a British territory, so they have a different mindset as they have experienced democracy. Hong Kong was given more economic and also political liberties than any other place in Chine since they took them over. I have been to HK twice and those people are completely different that an average Chinese. They remember certain freedoms that mainland China has not experienced.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by matchman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:51 am

MrOrange wrote:Possibly. many people in Hong Kong were born there when it was a British territory, so they have a different mindset as they have experienced democracy. Hong Kong was given more economic and also political liberties than any other place in Chine since they took them over. I have been to HK twice and those people are completely different that an average Chinese. They remember certain freedoms that mainland China has not experienced.

We still do :wink:

P.S. The new tactics of police is to close down subway stations when protest occurs. :nonono:
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#69 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:01 am

T
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#70 » by nedleeds » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:57 pm

My family is Taiwanese. From there they look at Hong Kong as a lesson to be learned about the reality of China. The story is the same, suppress and destroy free speech, use violence and intimidation in the streets to quelch any opposing viewpoint, increase government power and dependence. Then everything flows through the giant machine (the PLA in this case) so that every government fear monger gets their cut. Every business transaction, every visa issued, every permit issued the government gets it's blood.

I fear the left is so far down this road in the US they may never make it back. Their number one goal is to suppress free speech, label everyone who doesn't agree as a racist, nazi or colonial warmonger. Acquiescing to violence for whatever ideological reason is in fashion, mobs in Portland in masks beating civilians without repercussion, government officials who want election and power ignoring our constitution. If they take power it's going to be government mandated speech, government mandated thought, government mandated brainwashing.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
blanko
Starter
And1: 1,143

Post#71 » by blanko » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:59 am

Pointgod wrote:
blanko wrote:

People shouldn’t be comfortable living under the thumb of an authoritarian state. You just proved their point by mentioning Chinese gulags.
Easy for you to say inthe comfort and safety of your home. Its always easy to put somepne elses arse on the line, isnt it?

matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by matchman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:55 am

I am pleasantly surprised on Steve Bannon's knowledge on Hong Kong and Hong Kong people.

"The middle class in Hong Kong is as apolitical as you can imagine", so freaking true. :lol:
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#73 » by Clyde_Style » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:01 am

nedleeds wrote:My family is Taiwanese. From there they look at Hong Kong as a lesson to be learned about the reality of China. The story is the same, suppress and destroy free speech, use violence and intimidation in the streets to quelch any opposing viewpoint, increase government power and dependence. Then everything flows through the giant machine (the PLA in this case) so that every government fear monger gets their cut. Every business transaction, every visa issued, every permit issued the government gets it's blood.

I fear the left is so far down this road in the US they may never make it back. Their number one goal is to suppress free speech, label everyone who doesn't agree as a racist, nazi or colonial warmonger. Acquiescing to violence for whatever ideological reason is in fashion, mobs in Portland in masks beating civilians without repercussion, government officials who want election and power ignoring our constitution. If they take power it's going to be government mandated speech, government mandated thought, government mandated brainwashing.

If only it were that simple.

I do believe there is a disturbing shift among a younger set of Americans that wishes to impose their moral viewpoint on others, but that faction of people is not part of a continuum of a true liberal tradition any more than the so-called alt right is a bastion of traditional conservative values. They love to troll each other. As soon as you lump a whole population as belonging to either one set or the other you've already surrendered discourse to polarized name calling. Antifa or intolerant college pseudo-intellectuals are easy targets and if that becomes the locus of your anger you're working with a very small target and a limited palette.

I don't give a crap about people having a safe place because I think that whole notion is wrong and pretty lame and I'm not going to have someone legislate me into addressing someone with a non-binary gender surname, but I sure as hell am not going to get so angry about these things that my reaction to them becomes the basis of my political POV. And that is what is happening to many now. They don't want to think about anything. They just want someone to hate. It is boring. But even worse that is the true danger. The dumbing down and reactivity, not the things that trigger us if we have a legit beef with other viewpoints.
matchman
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by matchman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:09 am

nedleeds wrote:My family is Taiwanese. From there they look at Hong Kong as a lesson to be learned about the reality of China. The story is the same, suppress and destroy free speech, use violence and intimidation in the streets to quelch any opposing viewpoint, increase government power and dependence. Then everything flows through the giant machine (the PLA in this case) so that every government fear monger gets their cut. Every business transaction, every visa issued, every permit issued the government gets it's blood.

If Hong Kong falls down while CCP is still alive, then Taiwan will be the next. :nonono:

What Steve Bannon has mentioned in the above interview and our observation, and right now both Democrat and Republican are getting together due to CCP and Hong Kong. So maybe the game is still on.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#75 » by Pointgod » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:18 pm

:lol: you are so delusional it’s painful to read. Right wing projection at its finest. This is a thread about Hong Kong don’t bring garbage right wing fever dreams in here.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#76 » by Pointgod » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:21 pm

blanko wrote:
Pointgod wrote:
blanko wrote:Actually no they don't. I mean unless you are willing to join them in chinese gulag.

Easy for you to say inthe comfort and safety of your home. Its always easy to put somepne elses arse on the line, isnt it?

If I was in Hong Kong I’d be doing the same thing. News flash not everyone is willing to lick the boots of authoritarians. Freedom and Democracy are things people across history all over the world have been fighting for and willing to die for.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#77 » by nedleeds » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:45 pm

Pointgod wrote:

:lol: you are so delusional it’s painful to read. Right wing projection at its finest. This is a thread about Hong Kong don’t bring garbage right wing fever dreams in here.

I'm a liberal. HAHAAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAH wow it really is nuts in the US. Telling the first thing you do is try to deplatform and suppress a dissenting opinion with no counter argument. Enjoy burning dumpsters in Portland!
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
DOLPHIN2020
Veteran

Post#78 » by DOLPHIN2020 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:31 pm

matchman wrote:

I am pleasantly surprised on Steve Bannon's knowledge on Hong Kong and Hong Kong people.

"The middle class in Hong Kong is as apolitical as you can imagine", so freaking true.
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,138

Post#79 » by Fat Kat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:20 am

tuna108 wrote:
matchman wrote:

"The middle class in Hong Kong is as apolitical as you can imagine", so freaking true.
Great interview. Bannon though disliked by most is very knowledgeable and outspoken about the Hong Kong issue

Probably because he’s a homophobic, misogynistic racist. So f*ck him and anyone taking the time to praise him.

Carry on
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#80 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:28 am

Fat Kat wrote:
tuna108 wrote:
matchman wrote:

Great interview. Bannon though disliked by most is very knowledgeable and outspoken about the Hong Kong issue

Probably because he’s a homophobic, misogynistic racist. So f*ck him and anyone taking the time to praise him.

Carry on

Amen

Anyone can take the time to research both Bannon's philosophies and his modus operandi.

Do that and you'll understand his core beliefs revolve around the destruction of constitutional democracies here and abroad.

He is a complete and utter POS

Return to New York Knicks