ImageImageImageImageImage

The Next Official All things Frank Ntilikina Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Re: The Next Official All things Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#461 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:00 pm

I didn't watch the ITA-FRA game, but, tbh, on the basis of watching the prior games (&the lol-box score for this one) I'd cut Albicy and go with Okobo. And take Maledon along for the experience - unless his shoulder is completely f*ed up (in which case, I suppose, take Albicy instead).
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#462 » by Clyde_Style » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:02 pm

TheScout31 wrote:
Juco24 wrote:That shot looks really good though. Great follow through and squares up. Perfect for a 3D

Having him sit in the corner waiting for the ball to come to him is using him incredibly poorly. He's not a Bruce Bowen, or even Pat Beverly, type - he has actual PG skills.

He does, but the consensus is he does not which I don't understand. He's not a typical PG nor the model the NBA bases itself on presently, but he actually can facilitate an offense provided he doesn't lapse into complacency and picks his spots to be the attacker and keep defenses honest.

Frankly speaking, the latest clips shows flashes of aggression we've been calling for. That full court drive was literally a new wrinkle and it was a very good sign. Plus, his handle is tightening up which should help him turn the corner more and go all the way to the rim.

If he does that more he'll be able to get more comfortable with using his length to elevate floaters and bank shots when contested. The potential to be a good finisher is there.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#463 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:13 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:
Juco24 wrote:That shot looks really good though. Great follow through and squares up. Perfect for a 3D

Having him sit in the corner waiting for the ball to come to him is using him incredibly poorly. He's not a Bruce Bowen, or even Pat Beverly, type - he has actual PG skills.

He does, but the consensus is he does not which I don't understand. He's not a typical PG nor the model the NBA bases itself on presently, but he actually can facilitate an offense provided he doesn't lapse into complacency and picks his spots to be the attacker and keep defenses honest.

Frankly speaking, the latest clips shows flashes of aggression we've been calling for. That full court drive was literally a new wrinkle and it was a very good sign. Plus, his handle is tightening up which should help him turn the corner more and go all the way to the rim.

If he does that more he'll be able to get more comfortable with using his length to elevate floaters and bank shots when contested. The potential to be a good finisher is there.

Agree with all of this, but a couple of caveats.

Many plays in these warm up games for the France national team start with a shovel pass at the top of the key. Those passes which are so intensely criticized on this board. But here's the thing: the FNT moves the ball. 42% of the time Frank immediately gets the ball back - with some motion going on low down so that although the defense up top is the same the play is now different. The remainder of the time they swing the ball & move until they try to create a really good opening - be it an uncontested 3 or Gobert/Poirier overpowering a defender on a feed down low or ... And, of course, Frank is one of those second/tertiary options .. because the ball can come back around. Why? Because the coach isn't a complete ****. But those "shovel passes" (ie having decent offence) are what also facilitates the variation where Frank drives.

Second rant: if you let someone's confidence grow their play will grow. If you persistently undermine them their play, no matter who they are, will deteriorate. Guess what Hornaceck and Fizdale have consistently done over 1.5 seasons? Are we confident that the Knicks will understand that? Given they've promised at least 24min/game to Payton?
TheScout31
Junior
And1: 387

Post#464 » by TheScout31 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:25 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:

Many plays in these warm up games for the France national team start with a shovel pass at the top of the key. Those passes which are so intensely criticized on this board. But here's the thing: the FNT moves the ball. 42% of the time Frank immediately gets the ball back - with some motion going on low down so that although the defense up top is the same the play is now different. The remainder of the time they swing the ball & move until they try to create a really good opening - be it an uncontested 3 or Gobert/Poirier overpowering a defender on a feed down low or ... And, of course, Frank is one of those second/tertiary options .. because the ball can come back around. Why? Because the coach isn't a complete ****. But those "shovel passes" (ie having decent offence) are what also facilitates the variation where Frank drives.

Second rant: if you let someone's confidence grow their play will grow. If you persistently undermine them their play, no matter who they are, will deteriorate. Guess what Hornaceck and Fizdale have consistently done over 1.5 seasons? Are we confident that the Knicks will understand that? Given they've promised at least 24min/game to Payton?

I wish I could and1 this a million times, especially the bold.

Throughout all of these games, there have been many plays where Frank was coming off floppy action or pindowns before getting into the PnR - this gets the defense moving, which is big to beat ANY defense. Rarely do they just have Frank, or anyone, dribble the ball up and then run a 1-4 or 5 PnR - like, there's almost always some preceding action.

Part of the reason why I was never on board w/Fiz as a coach was because he never really had a system with set plays nor was he known as a player development guy. I don't want to get off track here, but he has a lot to prove IMO this year because of the lineup variations, and thus play variations, he can throw out there. Hopefully Coach Miller brings plays with him, too.
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,137

Post#465 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:03 am

TheScout31 wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I wish I could and1 this a million times, especially the bold.

Throughout all of these games, there have been many plays where Frank was coming off floppy action or pindowns before getting into the PnR - this gets the defense moving, which is big to beat ANY defense. Rarely do they just have Frank, or anyone, dribble the ball up and then run a 1-4 or 5 PnR - like, there's almost always some preceding action.

Part of the reason why I was never on board w/Fiz as a coach was because he never really had a system with set plays nor was he known as a player development guy. I don't want to get off track here, but he has a lot to prove IMO this year because of the lineup variations, and thus play variations, he can throw out there. Hopefully Coach Miller brings plays with him, too.

Thank god I'm not the only one seeing this
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#466 » by GONYK » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:22 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:

blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,917

Post#467 » by blueNorange » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:05 pm

GONYK wrote:I think the two consistently obvious observations about Frank in FIBA are his dramatically improved handles and his decisiveness.

stronger first step too, before he was always flatfooted before making a move .. and he doesn't have the athletic ability to be flatfooted before making a move.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#468 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:44 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

Ummmm....I'm not French

Let me give it a shot on the basis of what Remi already posted

MIN 2R/2T 3R/3T T% 1R/1T RO RD RT PD IN BP CO PTS EFF

minutes 2pt-made/2pt-attempt, 3pt-made/3pt attempt, T% = overall shooting-%, 1R/1T is FT-made/FT-attempted

RO is offensive rebounds, RD is defensive rebounds, RT is total rebounds, PD is assists, IN is steals (interceptions), BP ??? (personal fouls???, not sure) CO is blocks (I think), pts is pts, no idea what EFF is.

remi_222 wrote:.

@Remi_222 - check my translations, please ;)

Merci!

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#469 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:46 pm

A couple of the steals he's made by sticking in his hand to poke away a dribble, then running down the ball and passing it are very impressive. If he can't make our team, we need him as defensive coach.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Nazrmohamed
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,995

Post#470 » by Nazrmohamed » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:01 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:

I've talked many times about Frank needing to attempt more shots but assuming he gets his attempts up to 8 a game or more the scenario youd wanna see him at is SG with Barrett at the 3. Hes definitely got point guard skills it's just that they arent modern day PG skills or better yet hes not aggresive therefore hed not a modern day PG cuz that's the requirement. But the way I look at it DSJ should be playing very aggressively on offense and IMO should be unapologetic in his scoring mentality. Having a guy like Frank at SG in a way is like playing a 2 PG lineup with one being more measured and calming for an offense and the other being more the attacker. In any case Frank will need to hit shots to play but to me if theres a future for Frank its gonna be at SG. As far as Barrett goes, same concept really to Smith although I expect Smith to be more effective. I dont mind playing small on the perimeter as we will also run a very traditional front court

But that's just how I'd imagine Frank if he commits to taking 8 shots. Anything under that and I dont wanna talk about him no more.
Infinitimind
Senior
And1: 398

Post#471 » by Infinitimind » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:23 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:

I've talked many times about Frank needing to attempt more shots but assuming he gets his attempts up to 8 a game or more the scenario youd wanna see him at is SG with Barrett at the 3. Hes definitely got point guard skills it's just that they arent modern day PG skills or better yet hes not aggresive therefore hed not a modern day PG cuz that's the requirement. But the way I look at it DSJ should be playing very aggressively on offense and IMO should be unapologetic in his scoring mentality. Having a guy like Frank at SG in a way is like playing a 2 PG lineup with one being more measured and calming for an offense and the other being more the attacker. In any case Frank will need to hit shots to play but to me if theres a future for Frank its gonna be at SG. As far as Barrett goes, same concept really to Smith although I expect Smith to be more effective. I dont mind playing small on the perimeter as we will also run a very traditional front court

But that's just how I'd imagine Frank if he commits to taking 8 shots. Anything under that and I dont wanna talk about him no more.

I think Barrett and smith will start. But my hope is most of their minutes are with frank instead of with each other. With Barrett, smith, and Randle, they need the ball to be effective. So Frank and Mitch will fit well with them.
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager

Post#472 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:28 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:

I don't answer this type of post very much, simply because I have such a different way of looking at the game. But we obviously have different ideas about what can create a good (great) team. You want the PG to be DRose; I want the PG to be Magic or Penny or Nash or Jason Kidd. I want the PG to be "measured and calming for an offense". Let my SG be Kobe/MJ/DWade and "unapologetic in his scoring mentality".
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 60,866

Post#473 » by Clyde_Style » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:42 am

Nazrmohamed wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:

Frank does need to shoot more or else it becomes a moot point about his ability to produce. He literally doesn't do it enough in games to get better at it.

But I'm suspecting along with other folks that DSJr may erupt this season which will require the other backcourt players to adjust whatever their roles will be in tandem or backup to Smith.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#474 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:37 am

TheScout31 wrote:

Uhh no he doesn’t. Combo at best. I’ll concede he does have SOME PG skills but he’s a big leap away from being an nba point guard.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#475 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:42 am

Clyde_Style wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:

I think you understand completely...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
MaseInYourFace
RealGM

Post#476 » by MaseInYourFace » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:48 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
Nazrmohamed wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:

I don't answer this type of post very much, simply because I have such a different way of looking at the game. But we obviously have different ideas about what can create a good (great) team. You want the PG to be DRose; I want the PG to be Magic or Penny or Nash or Jason Kidd. I want the PG to be "measured and calming for an offense". Let my SG be Kobe/MJ/DWade and "unapologetic in his scoring mentality".

It’s a different era right now. Plus the frank we’ve mostly seen in the nba is a far reality from those guys you mentioned. Penny and Magic were very aggressive scorers at times in their careers though...
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
TheScout31
Junior
And1: 387

Post#477 » by TheScout31 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:05 pm

MaseInYourFace wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:

Uhh no he doesn’t. Combo at best. I’ll concede he does have SOME PG skills but he’s a big leap away from being an nba point guard.

Yes, he really does. Ability to run PnR, get to his spots on offense/pick his spots, get others involved, actually running set plays = having legit PG skills. Guys like Bowen stand in the corner guys like Pat Bev don't run the PnR. Frank isn't someone who will break you down one on one, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the skills I mentioned - he's proven it time and time again he does. The issue with him is aggressiveness shooting, not lacking PG skills.

Tell me - besides not breaking guys down one on one, what is he missing as a PG? I know the shooting / scoring aggressiveness is an issue, but he's been way more aggressive with France - which IMO is a good sign going forward.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#478 » by remi_222 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:14 pm

http://channelstream.net/live/france---serbie link to watch the game vs Serbia !
end of 1st half 32-23 France
Ntilikina didnt play so far that means he has a spot for sure for the WC and Collet has to decide between Okobo and Albicy
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,135

Post#479 » by Fat Kat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:19 pm

TheScout31 wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:

Yes, he really does. Ability to run PnR, get to his spots on offense/pick his spots, get others involved, actually running set plays = having legit PG skills. Guys like Bowen stand in the corner guys like Pat Bev don't run the PnR. Frank isn't someone who will break you down one on one, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have the skills I mentioned - he's proven it time and time again he does. The issue with him is aggressiveness shooting, not lacking PG skills.

Tell me - besides not breaking guys down one on one, what is he missing as a PG? I know the shooting / scoring aggressiveness is an issue, but he's been way more aggressive with France - which IMO is a good sign going forward.

His aggressiveness is inextricably tied to his “PG skills” IMO. Aggression is what keeps defenders honest. Without a respectable shot, passing lanes close up. If he doesn’t drive past his man when pressed, his handle will be tested constantly. The PnR is a staple, and Frank can run it, but he’ll have to have more in his toolbox to be an effective PG.

Beating your man one on one is always an effective way to initiate offense. I like the flashes that I’m seeing on the French team. Hopefully we’ll see more growth in preseason.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#480 » by remi_222 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:25 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
TheScout31 wrote:
MaseInYourFace wrote:

His aggressiveness is inextricably tied to his “PG skills” IMO. Aggression is what keeps defenders honest. Without a respectable shot, passing lanes close up. If he doesn’t drive past his man when pressed, his handle will be tested constantly. The PnR is a staple, and Frank can run it, but he’ll have to have more in his toolbox to be an effective PG.

Beating your man one on one is always an effective way to initiate offense. I like the flashes that I’m seeing on the French team. Hopefully we’ll see more growth in preseason.

Im just a bit scared to see him very relaxed on the French team, and then come back to his old demons when pre season comes back !
Since it's all mental, he needs to break the frustration wall and just go for it ! Maybe he takes things with too much emotions and just needs to be less "intelectual" abt the aspect of the game.
He probably has a mental coach now, i'm curious to know if he has started a special mental job with somebody, but he never mentionned it i believe

Return to New York Knicks