2019 Packers Off Season Thread - Cut Day Saturday

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Re: 2019 Packers Off Season Thread - Josh Jones Released 

Post#1581 » by Dandridgefav » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:13 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Dandridgefav wrote:The Pack need to find a strong prospect at 2 positions in the final cutdown = ILB & S. At ILB maybe a older vet who lost his starting job to a younger player but who still has a season's gas in his tank. I’d be willing to trade a low draft pick for a younger guy.
Also a TE might be interesting to Pack as I think Mercedes only makes the 53 by default/good locker-room vet – he didn’t play last season – he won’t play this season.

uhmmmm..... What? Why the hell do you think they need to find a Safety during cutdowns?

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
Crappy depth - Amos, Savage, Greene are Pack's only playable S. Redmon is a converted CB who lacks size and any noteworthy skill. Ibrahim is always injured and would be a big step down if he had to replace one of the top 3, etc. IF Pack can land anther CB - maybe slow developing former 2nd pick Josh Jackson might be better at S?.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#1582 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:05 pm

Dandridgefav wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Dandridgefav wrote:The Pack need to find a strong prospect at 2 positions in the final cutdown = ILB & S. At ILB maybe a older vet who lost his starting job to a younger player but who still has a season's gas in his tank. I’d be willing to trade a low draft pick for a younger guy.
Also a TE might be interesting to Pack as I think Mercedes only makes the 53 by default/good locker-room vet – he didn’t play last season – he won’t play this season.

uhmmmm..... What? Why the hell do you think they need to find a Safety during cutdowns?

Crappy depth - Amos, Savage, Greene are Pack's only playable S. Redmon is a converted CB who lacks size and any noteworthy skill. Ibrahim is always injured and would be a big step down if he had to replace one of the top 3, etc. IF Pack can land anther CB - maybe slow developing former 2nd pick Josh Jackson might be better at S?.

Williams?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,223

Post#1583 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:24 pm

Football outsiders has an interesting metric DVOA, https://www.footballoutsiders.com/info/methods.

The Athletic did an an analysis of home vs. away DVOA to look at home field advantage beyond wins and losses, it's broken down within offense and defense. It's interesting, to me anyway, that by this metric we're better offensively on the road.

Green Bay

For Green Bay, the home-field advantage has been all about defense. Only the Bucs have experienced a bigger bump defensively at home than the Packers. But Green Bay has experienced no such advantage on offense. In fact, the Packers are one of seven teams that have posted a better offensive DVOA on the road.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1584 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Kinda been common knowledge for a decade, right? Rodgers is better in warm weather, or in domes.
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 266

Post#1585 » by Reddeye » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:35 pm

Trade Rodgers

Read on Twitter
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#1586 » by RRyder823 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:25 pm

Dandridgefav wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

As RS pointed out you forgot about Tramon.

How deep does the position need to be if 4 deep isnt good enough for you not to label it as a need?

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#1587 » by humanrefutation » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Bob McGinn is joining The Athletic.

Read on Twitter
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#1588 » by Mags FTW » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:30 pm

Posted yesterday. I guess you DID miss it, huh buddy? Ha!

i'll show myself out..
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,939

Post#1589 » by humanrefutation » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:42 pm

Mags FTW wrote:Posted yesterday. I guess you DID miss it, huh buddy? Ha!

i'll show myself out..

:lol:

Yeah, I was pretty sick yesterday so I didn't spend much time on here.

Anyway, I got my notification today that I need to decide whether to keep The Athletic at $60 a year or drop it. Over the last month, they've poached James Pearce from the Echo to head their Liverpool FC coverage and now are bringing in McGinn on the Packers side...it's like they waited until right now to drop these things on me just as I was about to pull the plug. Now...I'm inclined to pay to keep them.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,699

Post#1590 » by jimmybones » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:07 pm

Dandridgefav wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

How many good safeties do you think are floating around? Having 3 good to solid options is actually pretty nice, especially compared to years past. I feel great about the S position.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1591 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:36 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:Posted yesterday. I guess you DID miss it, huh buddy? Ha!

i'll show myself out..

:lol:

Yeah, I was pretty sick yesterday so I didn't spend much time on here.

Anyway, I got my notification today that I need to decide whether to keep The Athletic at $60 a year or drop it. Over the last month, they've poached James Pearce from the Echo to head their Liverpool FC coverage and now are bringing in McGinn on the Packers side...it's like they waited until right now to drop these things on me just as I was about to pull the plug. Now...I'm inclined to pay to keep them.

I think someone said earlier that if you cancel or decide not to renew they'll just send you another 50% off offer in your email soon enough.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,273

Post#1592 » by Finn » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:11 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:
Finn wrote:It seems you haven't yet figured out that the draft is a giant crapshoot in virtually every round. Once you do, your angst level drops tremendously. :lol:

It's a crapshoot whether or not someone drafted after your pick will end up having a better career.

It shouldn't be a mystery as to whether three straight 2nd rounders will make it through their rookie contracts or not.

The whole argument that the draft is nothing more than a crapshoot is just a lazy argument from folks to brush off bad drafting

Whatever helps you sleep at night. :lol:
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#1593 » by Treebeard » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:29 pm

We're soon coming to the point of who's the surprise cut....

Considering what we've seen on the field from the surprisingly good young WR's, J'mon Moore wouldn't be a surprise cut to me. Lazard or Shepherd would be a surprise.

Kizer getting cut would be a mild surprise. Boyle did himself some favors last game and maybe gained a measure of separation from Kizer.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#1594 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:55 pm

Reddeye wrote:Trade Rodgers

Read on Twitter

He could certainly learn from Boyle. To me, one of Rodgers's biggest problem is hisinsistence on holding the ball too long. He's always been at his best, though maybe not his most exciting, when he just gets it and throws.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,221

Post#1595 » by PintSizedBox10 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:56 am

Finn wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:It's a crapshoot whether or not someone drafted after your pick will end up having a better career.

It shouldn't be a mystery as to whether three straight 2nd rounders will make it through their rookie contracts or not.

The whole argument that the draft is nothing more than a crapshoot is just a lazy argument from folks to brush off bad drafting

Let’s let the fans make the picks. It’s a total crap shoot!
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,308

Post#1596 » by Mags FTW » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:03 am

PintSizedBox10 wrote:
Finn wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:The whole argument that the draft is nothing more than a crapshoot is just a lazy argument from folks to brush off bad drafting

Chimps throwing darts would be more entertaining imo
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,221

Post#1597 » by PintSizedBox10 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:35 am

Mags FTW wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:
Finn wrote:Whatever helps you sleep at night. :lol:

Chimps throwing darts would be more entertaining imo

Honestly having fan voting for picks in round 6-7 wouldn’t be too crazy :lol:
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,370

Post#1598 » by trwi7 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:47 am

I can 100% guarantee that I wouldn't have voted to draft Josh Jones in the 2nd round because I had never even heard of him until we drafted him.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Dandridgefav
Junior

Post#1599 » by Dandridgefav » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:40 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Dandridgefav wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

Williams?

then depth at CB is shot. Pack moved him back to CB where he will be badly needed IF King is injured again and Jackson doesn't progress soon. He'd be 3rd CB behind Alexander and Brown. Tramon won't be playing S this year unless Savage orAmos goes down.
Dandridgefav
Junior

Post#1600 » by Dandridgefav » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:45 am

jimmybones wrote:
Dandridgefav wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

How many good safeties do you think are floating around? Having 3 good to solid options is actually pretty nice, especially compared to years past. I feel great about the S position.

So do I. I am just saying we might be able to do better at 4th S than the guys we have there now.

Return to Green Bay Packers