ImageImage

2019 Packers Off Season Thread - Cut Day Saturday

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Dandridgefav
Junior
And1: 66

Re: 2019 Packers Off Season Thread - Josh Jones Released 

Post#1601 » by Dandridgefav » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:50 am

Tim Boyle is far better than Kizer but that is not saying much. Still Tim will be the guy behind Rodgers.
Dandridgefav
Junior

Post#1602 » by Dandridgefav » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:48 pm

https://www.acmepackingcompany.com/packers-training-camp-2019/2019/8/27/20833555/five-possible-roster-cut-candidates-who-could-help-the-packers-depth-at-ilb

Five possible roster cut candidates who could help the Packers’ depth at ILB

If the Packers look to the waiver wire this weekend for help on the inside of their defense, these players could be under consideration.

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

Beyond needing good players, the Green Bay Packers might simply need bodies at inside linebacker to get through the first several weeks of the 2019 regular season. The team has seen projected starter Oren Burks go down at the WILL position with a shoulder injury, followed closely by a knee injury to his replacement, undrafted rookie Curtis Bolton.

While both players seemed to escape serious injuries, they both could miss a few weeks of the regular season. And if either player’s injury is serious enough to warrant a stint on injured reserve, the Packers would need to keep him through final cuts on Saturday in order to preserve the ability to bring him back later in 2019.

Sunday, however, is also the day when waivers process around the NFL after final cuts, and the Packers could claim a player or two who ended up being casualties from other rosters to take the place of an individual who goes to IR that day. As such, general manager Brian Gutekunst and the pro scouting staff have been monitoring other teams’ roster situations, and they will surely be monitoring the waiver wire on Saturday afternoon and evening to see who comes available. Gutekunst said as much in a press conference on Tuesday morning, and inside linebacker would seem to be one of the most logical positions to consider claiming a player.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,330

Post#1603 » by crkone » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:35 pm

I think if an obvious pickup isn't available I'm fine with Summers at ILB for now. I think his tackling issues were just preseason related.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,168

Post#1604 » by RRyder823 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:22 pm

Dandridgefav wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Dandridgefav wrote: Crappy depth - Amos, Savage, Greene are Pack's only playable S. Redmon is a converted CB who lacks size and any noteworthy skill. Ibrahim is always injured and would be a big step down if he had to replace one of the top 3, etc. IF Pack can land anther CB - maybe slow developing former 2nd pick Josh Jackson might be better at S?.

Williams?

then depth at CB is shot. Pack moved him back to CB where he will be badly needed IF King is injured again and Jackson doesn't progress soon. He'd be 3rd CB behind Alexander and Brown. Tramon won't be playing S this year unless Savage orAmos goes down.
So if 1 CB is hurt and another doesnt develop (in other words if the preferred #2 and #3/4 CB need to be replaced) then its somehow a dire situation for the #4 Saftey to have to play CB?

Seriously how many good Safties and CBs do you think are running around the league?

Going a legit 3 deep at Saftey is a good place to be and the Packers have 4 that they can turn to

Going 4/5 deep at CB is a really good place to be

Just how deep does a team have to be in the defensive backfield for you not label it as something that needs to addressed asap?

Sent from my SM-G892A using RealGM mobile app
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,628

Post#1605 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:32 pm

If the worry is lack of experience at Safety then I might agree. With Campbell still rehabbing, Savage is a rookie, Greene is a 2nd year undrafted guy who only played sparingly last season, so that leaves Amos as your only vet. But depth-wise? Nah, this is the deepest defensive backfield we've had in years. 3-deep at safety and what? 6 deep at CB if King is healthy (big if I know) and Tony Brown is a player? Would love to know how many teams can say they have that kind of depth at those positions.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,997

Post#1606 » by humanrefutation » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:14 pm

My surprise cut is Lane Taylor, tbh. I think they'll give the nod to Jenkins.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,746

Post#1607 » by Treebeard » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:08 pm

humanrefutation wrote:My surprise cut is Lane Taylor, tbh. I think they'll give the nod to Jenkins.

I'd be surprised by that move :D Or not.... :lol:

Jenkins does seem to be a lock.

I don't know what to make of the way that Bulaga seems to have been protected even in practices. They need him for the regular season, but seem to be very worried about his continued availability. Might they keep one more O lineman than expected?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,014

Post#1608 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:51 pm

I think Reggie Gilbert was much better than the 7th the Packers got for him, but I guess I understand the cut. Numbers crunch.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,377

Post#1609 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:56 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#1610 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:00 am

Treebeard wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:My surprise cut is Lane Taylor, tbh. I think they'll give the nod to Jenkins.

I'd be surprised by that move :D Or not....

I don't know what to make of the way that Bulaga seems to have been protected even in practices. They need him for the regular season, but seem to be very worried about his continued availability. Might they keep one more O lineman than expected?
I wouldn't cut lane even if Jenkins takes the starting spot. Depth is so hard to come by on the oline I'd rather have him than the 3mil or so in cap space.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#1611 » by Mags FTW » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:03 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Treebeard wrote:

I wouldn't cut lane even if Jenkins takes the starting spot. Depth is so hard to come by on the oline I'd rather have him than the 3mil or so in cap space.

Yeah, I want to see as few Spriggs-quality backups as possible.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#1612 » by Ill-yasova » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:25 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Treebeard wrote:

Yep. As soon as Bulaga gets hurt Lane will get his starting spot back.
crkone
RealGM

Post#1613 » by crkone » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:40 pm

The problem with keeping Lane is that takes away a spot from another position. All the other backups can play multiple positions but Lane is stuck at LG.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
JHSFIVE
Starter
And1: 214

Post#1614 » by JHSFIVE » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:24 pm

Far cry from even last year with being able to basically dump Gilbert. Can't recall going into a season with this type of feeling about the pass rush. Feels weird.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#1615 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 pm

Gilbert was a practice and preseason warrior but that rarely ever translated to meaningful games. Actually surprised we got a pick for him.
crkone
RealGM

Post#1616 » by crkone » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:37 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Gilbert was a practice and preseason warrior but that rarely ever translated to meaningful games. Actually surprised we got a pick for him.

Yeah I think he was a pretty big liability in the run game too.

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Dandridgefav
Junior

Post#1617 » by Dandridgefav » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:53 pm

If Gilbert can get a 7th - Lane can get a 6th - Davis can get a 5th. 8-)
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#1618 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:05 pm

Zero reason to cut Lane even if you think Jenkins should start right away. He's cheap and he can swing out to RT if/when the inevitable gust of wind takes out Bulaga for 3-4 weeks. I've seen enough of Justin McCray over the last two seasons to know he's not the guy you want out there in a pinch.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,014

Post#1619 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:37 pm

Don't they save over $3 million if they cut Lane?
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#1620 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:20 pm

Do the cap savings really outweigh having reliable depth? They'd have to be pretty comfortable with Madison, McCray, and Lucas Patrick and I'm nowhere near there with those guys yet. Gotta protect #12.

Return to Green Bay Packers