ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1301 » by cloverleaf » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:48 pm

Shak_Celts wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
Ernest wrote:So this has been talked about already, but.... Joakim Noah is still available.

Anyone think he could help us? I’d like the team to get a vet to help stabilize things not sure if he is the guy or not.

No thanks!

I dunno why people down this idea but Joke is such a good energy guy, he would be solid as man 12. We have enough Cs but I would love Joke to be here to mentor Rob. That dude is all about hustle, it could rub off on Rob. If Noah didn't have all the injuries, he could still have a Baynes like career these days. I never question how much Noah wants it when he plays, we could have used that last season for sure. I know a lot of people don't like him from the days when he was a good player on the bulls but to me he is like Smart, hate him on other teams but love him on yours. Dirty work, all hustle kinda guy and an excellent passer. Injuries derailed a solid career.

If they hadn't signed Poirier I could definitely see Noah in that role -- and yeah, a great model for Rob. Speaking of Rob:

Read on Twitter
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1302 » by FlatearthZorro » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:45 pm

I think we're set at center. I think Vinny and Bob will do alright and Theis will be much better than last season,believe his contract is a bargain. So is Poirier's.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1303 » by Ernest » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:13 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:I think we're set at center. I think Vinny and Bob will do alright and Theis will be much better than last season,believe his contract is a bargain. So is Poirier's.

I'm not sure Noah is the answer, but I really disagree with this kind of thinking. Maybe Vinny or Rob will be ok for us this year, but if I had to gamble on it, I'd say no- both are unlikely be much help. Theis is a good bench player for us, but he is closer to a 3 than a 5. He is just to small.

We have too much talent this year to not be a better than average team. We still have the assets to make a trade at some point that makes us true contenders, so it's important that we stay a good team that's almost there, not having enough proven talent in the post scares me. We could well have the talent to be a top 4 in the east team and end up missing the playoffs because of an injury or 2.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,909

Post#1304 » by Parliament10 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:22 am

Ernest wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:I think we're set at center. I think Vinny and Bob will do alright and Theis will be much better than last season,believe his contract is a bargain. So is Poirier's.

I'm not sure Noah is the answer, but I really disagree with this kind of thinking. Maybe Vinny or Rob will be ok for us this year, but if I had to gamble on it, I'd say no- both are unlikely be much help. Theis is a good bench player for us, but he is closer to a 3 than a 5. He is just to small.

We have too much talent this year to not be a better than average team. We still have the assets to make a trade at some point that makes us true contenders, so it's important that we stay a good team that's almost there, not having enough proven talent in the post scares me. We could well have the talent to be a top 4 in the east team and end up missing the playoffs because of an injury or 2.

I too believe that we're all set at Center. And I think that Theis is more of a 4/5.
We have youth, which is a gamble. But, I believe that that bet will pay off.

IMO, we just have Stopgaps at the Moment.
Kanter, Poirier, even Wanamaker. Also possibly Hayward, at this point.

Our real talent, has been ingrown.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#1305 » by jirrit » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:39 pm

As a lifelong Noah hater I’d still like to have him. I only see very limited roles for all of our bigs at the 5 position:

Kanter max 30 mins, give up lots of D if he’s on the floor.
Theis max 15 mins, he just cant hold his own against real centers.
Poirier, a rookie who’s had two unimpressing SL’s under his belt aint gonna be the big solution.
RW, too raw still, wont be ready for meaningful minutes yet.
Who did I miss?
Imagine an injury to one of this list?

This season is a development season I know but I do think a guy like Noah can help our big projects to develop.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,402

Post#1306 » by Triple7 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:17 pm

jirrit wrote:As a lifelong Noah hater I’d still like to have him. I only see very limited roles for all of our bigs at the 5 position:

Poirier, a rookie who’s had two unimpressing SL’s under his belt aint gonna be the big solution.
Who did I miss?

This season is a development season I know but I do think a guy like Noah can help our big projects to develop.

I’ll still pass! Never liked Noah. I think he’s overrated. Only plus for him is his no nonsense approach and hustle. i don’t agree with the notion that just because a player is a veteran, it would be assured that he will mentor young players automatically. Some players don’t want that role. Unless he says he’s willing to mentor, i would assume he won’t. Plus with Noah’s attitude, i doubt he gives a ****! The lakers passed up on him, we should too.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1307 » by Ernest » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:50 pm

jirrit wrote:As a lifelong Noah hater I’d still like to have him. I only see very limited roles for all of our bigs at the 5 position:

Who did I miss?

I think this is the hard truth people don't want to hear. Maybe we will get really lucky and someone will have a break out year. Probably not. I feel like the people saying we are fine at center are the same people who were high on RJ Hunter and Fab Melo and Hunter exc.

Sorry to be pessimistic about this. And I'm not sure Noah helps at all, but I'd take a flier on a vet center over a flier on an unproven kid at this point. I want to win games!
jirrit
Lead Assistant

Post#1308 » by jirrit » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:54 pm

Triple7 wrote:

Who did I miss?

I’ll still pass! Never liked Noah. I think he’s overrated. Only plus for him is his no nonsense approach and hustle. i don’t agree with the notion that just because a player is a veteran, it would be assured that he will mentor young players automatically. Some players don’t want that role. Unless he says he’s willing to mentor, i would assume he won’t. Plus with Noah’s attitude, i doubt he gives a ****! The lakers passed up on him, we should too.

I dont think there’s a 5% chance we’re gonna sign him. I think Ainge is gonna see whats up at the trade deadline and will try to fix the most glaring problems.

Lakers btw chose the guy where it all went wrong 5 years ago. I wouldnt count on their assessment, they’re more name>skills. I’m btw not saying I want Noah but I’m just not as impressed as most are by our current #5 options nor their possible upside.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,402

Post#1309 » by Triple7 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:14 pm

jirrit wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Who did I miss?

I dont think there’s a 5% chance we’re gonna sign him. I think Ainge is gonna see whats up at the trade deadline and will try to fix the most glaring problems.

Lakers btw chose the guy where it all went wrong 5 years ago. I wouldnt count on their assessment, they’re more name>skills. I’m btw not saying I want Noah but I’m just not as impressed as most are by our current #5 options nor their possible upside.

I agree that ainge will try to get someone before the deadline, depending on what we need. There is no need to get someone now. If we’re to get some vet to beef up our C, i would want the likes of T.Chandler. At least he blocks and rebounds even on limited minutes. He can even still dunk on lobs and follow ups. Noah is the only big i’ve seen miss a layup way way off all alone underneath the basket. He did a decent job last season on limited minutes though, but i’ll still pass.
LuckyLeprechaun
Rookie
And1: 1,333

Post#1310 » by LuckyLeprechaun » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:49 am

Ernest wrote:Sorry to be pessimistic about this. And I'm not sure Noah helps at all, but I'd take a flier on a vet center over a flier on an unproven kid at this point. I want to win games!

Our centers aren't that good but that's true of the majority of teams in the NBA. There's about 10 centers in the NBA that are special, then another 20-30 that are on Kanter's talent level. Then below that you have a bunch of washed up guys like Noah and a bunch of unproven kids.
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#1311 » by SLCceltic » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:51 am

Who did I miss?

Wow, pretty negative view of RW ...theres no reason, barring injury of course, at all to think that he is not ready to contribute. If he is healthy he will be a steady rotation piece at the very least ...
ROYALGREEN
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#1312 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:20 pm

SLCceltic wrote:

Who did I miss?

Wow, pretty negative view of RW ...theres no reason, barring injury of course, at all to think that he is not ready to contribute. If he is healthy he will be a steady rotation piece at the very least ...

Our insider here said all along they expected a 2 year internship/project from RW. It's not a knock on him, he was just drafted as a project. Perk was too and we turned him into a starter on a championship team who was needed at the time to take on shaq and dwight.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,909

Post#1313 » by Parliament10 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:18 pm

Read on Twitter

Interesting comments.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
jirrit
Lead Assistant

Post#1314 » by jirrit » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:35 am

Darth Celtic wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

Who did I miss?

Our insider here said all along they expected a 2 year internship/project from RW. It's not a knock on him, he was just drafted as a project. Perk was too and we turned him into a starter on a championship team who was needed at the time to take on shaq and dwight.

Yeah I dont think its a negative view, more like a realistic view. I still believe in him as a prospect.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#1315 » by Floody100 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:26 am

Not saying I would but what would people think of trying to trade for Gallo ? I wouldn’t be trading Brown or Tatum for him though.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,689

Post#1316 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:36 am

I'd say as Truth18 would -- "GALLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#1317 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:53 am

SLCceltic wrote:

Who did I miss?

I think of myself as a reasonable homer who tends to slightly overrate all celtics, but I think that's a pretty fair assessment of Timelord. I'm not giving up on him or anything, but he still doesn't seem to understand rotations or team defense or spacing or movement, or where to be in general. I like his athleticism(obviously), and already see potential as an extremely solid one-on-one defender.

He was drafted as a project, and recent reports indicate that he remains a 2-3 project. I do think it is POSSIBLE that he develops into a valuable piece sometime this year. But I'm not sold on it based on anything I've seen. The flashes are tantalizing though.

As always, I hope you have the opportunity to say "I told you so" this year, because that means good news for the Celtics.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,689

Post#1318 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:31 pm

VERY IMPORTANT SOCIAL MEDIA UPDATE: Apparently, I'm still following Abdel Nader on Twitter. Please report. I've been hacked.

Read on Twitter
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1319 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Ernest wrote:

Who did I miss?

I think this is the hard truth people don't want to hear. Maybe we will get really lucky and someone will have a break out year. Probably not. I feel like the people saying we are fine at center are the same people who were high on RJ Hunter and Fab Melo and Hunter exc.

Sorry to be pessimistic about this. And I'm not sure Noah helps at all, but I'd take a flier on a vet center over a flier on an unproven kid at this point. I want to win games!

My hope is that Phoenix finds a Baynes trade to a team that buys him out, he comes back to our fifteenth roster spot.

As far as pessimism or optimism.. we have a very diversified portfolio at the center spot? The eggs aren’t all in one basket. Best case, all four fit and play well, worst case, none do..

I think the two best plays are betting on Kanter to be a net positive, and betting on Williams to make enough raw impact to warrant developmental minutes where you live with his mistakes.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1320 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:09 pm

Joe Johnson would be interesting.. help coach Brown, Tatum and Langford..

Return to Boston Celtics