ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 27th Pick, The Clippers Select Mfiondu Kabengele

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 1,938

Re: With the 27th Pick, The Clippers Select Mfiondu Kabengele 

Post#41 » by Bobbymcgee » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:21 pm

Well, hopefully he can give a couple of good minutes a game at C and/or PF. Should get open looks playing alongside Leonard, George, and Lou Will. And, his energy on defense will be fun to watch. If anything, he is going to get some great experience learning from M. Harrell.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#42 » by esqtvd » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:58 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:He looks raw and I wish he was really 6'10" (looks about 6'8" on the court), but not without potential with that 3-ball. If his work ethic is as advertised, he'll definitely be worth giving some time to develop (as opposed to say Brice who it looks like we literally gave up on early into his rookie season.)

Brice came down with a herniated disk in preseason and didn't make it back until late February. He was supposed to be the hub of the next summer league and after a couple of OK games, I remember him being a step behind and largely outclassed the rest of the way.

Plus he's a dog, and not a dog the way the Clippers use it now. In the end, it was a character thing, which is why he got dumped almost immediately when we traded him to the Pistons and then by the Grizz. He never hooked on anywhere else and didn't even play G-League. He finally signed for a few games last spring for some crap team in Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico, ffs. :roll:

Just no fire in the belly. Arf.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-clippers-elliott-20170709-story.html

"Brice is our team leader," said Sam Cassell, the Clippers' summer league coach. "As Brice goes, we go. It's just that simple."

If only it were so simple.

Cassell said it can take awhile for Johnson to get going in games, and his coaches have had to push him to stay disciplined.

"Brice is a guy who allows the game to come to him. But you've got to jump-start him," Cassell said. "Once I jump-start him, he'll be fine. You motivate him, but not a bunch of screaming and yelling. I just tell him what I expect from him. If I tell him what I expect from him, most of the time he gives me what I want."

Will that be enough for Johnson to win Clippers coach Doc Rivers' trust?

"Summer league is very important for him. He's got to showcase to us as coaches that he deserves to play," Cassell said. "Right now he's got to make the effort and give Doc something to think about."

That was the summer we'd just traded for Montrezl, who swooped in, trained for 2 days, went out and completely dominated. Jamil Wilson also impressed with his 3-point shooting and won a contract from the Clippers. Brice never really got a sniff after that.

https://www.clipsnation.com/2017/7/10/15951030/las-vegas-summer-league-clippers-move-to-3-0-with-100-93-win-over-bucks-montrezl-harrell-sindarius
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
QRich3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,946

Post#43 » by QRich3 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 am

madmaxmedia wrote:If his work ethic is as advertised, he'll definitely be worth giving some time to develop (as opposed to say Brice who it looks like we literally gave up on early into his rookie season.)

Should've given up on him early on into the draft process tbh :lol:

But yeah, it's gonna be important that Mfi develops into a rotation player at least, he's one of the few assets we're gonna have in a while.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#44 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:21 pm

QRich3 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:If his work ethic is as advertised, he'll definitely be worth giving some time to develop (as opposed to say Brice who it looks like we literally gave up on early into his rookie season.)

Should've given up on him early on into the draft process tbh :lol:

But yeah, it's gonna be important that Mfi develops into a rotation player at least, he's one of the few assets we're gonna have in a while.

So true.

I do not want to be "stuck" like in the Lob City era. This front office is so smart though, they tend to think ahead on things like that, so I'm not going to worry about it much.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Post#45 » by 50CalClips » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 am

Looking like the Clips are NOT adding a 'name' big man -- no Dwight Howard, no Joakim Noah, no Kenneth Faried...

We're riding into the season with Zubac, Montrezl, JaMychal and Kabengele.

Seems to me that the Clippers brain trust is expecting Kabengele to contribute.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#46 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:03 am

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,157

Post#47 » by Max Headrom » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:35 am

Quake Griffin wrote:

And this is why I think the front office isn't trying to sign an old vet at center. Between him, Zu and Trezz, I think the 5 position isn't a weakness like people are trying to make it seem. All you need is a solid 10 to 15 minutes from this kid to rebound, defend, get some garbage points, don't screw up on offense or defensive rotations and we're fine.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,419

Post#48 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:20 pm

Well, I think Patterson qualifies as a “big man.” He has played some 5, and JaMychal got some run there last year as well. What we don’t have is much depth with a “traditional” big center. But I think it’s a sign of how we’re going to play and the direction the league has gone ... we’ve got six 6’8 or 6’9 guys (PG, Kawhi, Mo, Trezz, JaMychal, Patterson) as well as Zu and Kabengele.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#49 » by TheNewEra » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:15 am

And Motley lol
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

NBA-Rookie-Week Highlights for Fi 

Post#50 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:54 pm

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#51 » by TheNewEra » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:58 pm

Wonder if the team views him more as a 4 or stretch 5
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,804

Post#52 » by esqtvd » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:39 am

TheNewEra wrote:Wonder if the team views him more as a 4 or stretch 5

As far as I know, Fi played no center in college. He's a project as it is, having only 1300 minutes of college ball under his belt, about one year's worth of PT, so I dunno where he fits (if at all) this year. I think Doc'll just roll him out there and see what we've got.

I guess I'd tell him not to think too much and just go out there and imitate Trezz.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?

Return to Los Angeles Clippers