ImageImageImage

Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Re: Around the League Discussion - 2018-2019 (Playoffs) 

Post#1041 » by XtremeDunkz » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:07 pm

76ciology wrote:
Read on Twitter

At his peak, ive never seen anyone as dominant as shaq

They used to let Shaq elbow guys in the face, neck and ribs constantly. Nowadays big guys cant even take advantage of guards in the post because the guards just make themselves fly backwards and its a charge.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,667

Post#1042 » by Negrodamus » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:06 pm

Shaq would foul out of every game today. He'd also be pretty worthless in the playoffs. Still would be dominant in the 20 some minutes he's playing.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#1043 » by Sixerscan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:19 pm

People got away with a lot of fouls on Shaq too. He was a hard guy to ref.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1044 » by VDT » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:08 pm

Negrodamus wrote:Shaq would foul out of every game today. He'd also be pretty worthless in the playoffs. Still would be dominant in the 20 some minutes he's playing.

Most guards travel or carry in almost every play, stars even more. I dont think the officiating would change that much comapred to his time.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1045 » by Negrodamus » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:24 pm

VDT wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:Shaq would foul out of every game today. He'd also be pretty worthless in the playoffs. Still would be dominant in the 20 some minutes he's playing.

Most guards travel or carry in almost every play, stars even more. I dont think the officiating would change that much comapred to his time.

That has been the case forever. This flopping era has changed the way basketball can be played. That's why massive non-shooting centers don't thrive any more.

Additionally, Shaq would have to defend out to the perimeter in this era which would hurt him massively on defense.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#1046 » by Sixerscan » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:36 pm

He didn’t seem to have much issue with Vlade flopping.
VDT
Analyst

Post#1047 » by VDT » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:39 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
VDT wrote:

That has been the case forever. This flopping era has changed the way basketball can be played. That's why massive non-shooting centers don't thrive any more.

Additionally, Shaq would have to defend out to the perimeter in this era which would hurt him massively on defense.

Yes. My point is that they will always bent the rules to make the game more marketable. If you have a guy like Shaq you are not going to foul him out. Giannis commits a lot of offensive fouls too but most are not called.

Defensively he would probably have more issues but i am not sure how critical this would be. In his prime he was still more mobile than a lot of today's starting centers. Embiid doesnt bother to defend out to the 3 point line either most of the times now.
Negrodamus
RealGM

Post#1048 » by Negrodamus » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:29 pm

VDT wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:
VDT wrote:

Yes. My point is that they will always bent the rules to make the game more marketable. If you have a guy like Shaq you are not going to foul him out. Giannis commits a lot of offensive fouls too but most are not called.

Defensively he would probably have more issues but i am not sure how critical this would be. In his prime he was still more mobile than a lot of today's starting centers. Embiid doesnt bother to defend out to the 3 point line either most of the times now.

I suppose it's the chicken or the egg situation then. Embiid contests that he prefers to be in the post but we see him more often than not getting the ball in face up situations. However, when he does plop himself in the post and plays bullyball, he frequently gets burned by offensive fouls. I don't have any revealing stats to enforce this point, just observations from watching all last season.

I think it's different when a player like Giannis gets called for an offensive foul due to charging down the lane with a head full of steam. DeMarcus spent around 4-5 years near the top, or at the top, of the leaderboard in offensive fouls. It doesn't seem like they adjusted the game to fit his bullyball style.
VDT
Analyst

Post#1049 » by VDT » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:53 pm

Negrodamus wrote:
VDT wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I suppose it's the chicken or the egg situation then. Embiid contests that he prefers to be in the post but we see him more often than not getting the ball in face up situations. However, when he does plop himself in the post and plays bullyball, he frequently gets burned by offensive fouls. I don't have any revealing stats to enforce this point, just observations from watching all last season.

I think it's different when a player like Giannis gets called for an offensive foul due to charging down the lane with a head full of steam. DeMarcus spent around 4-5 years near the top, or at the top, of the leaderboard in offensive fouls. It doesn't seem like they adjusted the game to fit his bullyball style.

Well DeMarcus is not someone they would try to promote, he is also not a very cerebral player and doesnt play very smart a lot of the times.

Regarding the offensive fouls i think the only ones that they call consistently are when someone drives on a standstill player and when someone pushes to get the offensive rebound. Anything else is only called very rarely and only when it is something egregious like an elbow to the face.

I havent checked but i would guess most of Embiid's fouls belong in one of these two categories. Otherwise he is allowed plenty of contact offensively and defensively he just needs to learn to get deeper position before he gets the ball.

I think Embiid prefers to face up because he is not confident with his hook shot yet. It is probably his biggest weakness offensively and will open up his game a lot if he does get get a reliable hook shot and will be easier for him to score against centers like Gasol that give him trouble. Olajuwon's footwork was working because he had a reliable hook shot and a reliable fadeaway, without these two threats it would be pointless.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,345

Post#1050 » by 76ciology » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:29 am

Drew Hanlen got quiet after going all in on fultz. I see Wiggins working with Ben’s trainer (Chris Johnson) now.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1051 » by 76ciology » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:38 pm

You trust LeBron on defense at the SF position? AD not willing to play C, kind of mess up both LBJ and Kuzma, since all three of them are better off playing PF.

And if Bron can play sF, who is back-up SF?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,476

Post#1052 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:07 pm

Looking to do some house cleaning; do people want a new thread or just an updated title?
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers

Post#1053 » by Sixerscan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:26 pm

76ciology wrote:You trust LeBron on defense at the SF position? AD not willing to play C, kind of mess up both LBJ and Kuzma, since all three of them are better off playing PF.

I’ve seen people saying Davis’ issue is with playing center for 7 months of regular season games, playoffs are fine.

On a related note I think Lebron can still turn it on and cover anyone in the playoffs. In terms of backups they better hope Iggy chooses them when he gets bought out.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1054 » by 76ciology » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:02 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
76ciology wrote:You trust LeBron on defense at the SF position? AD not willing to play C, kind of mess up both LBJ and Kuzma, since all three of them are better off playing PF.

I’ve seen people saying Davis’ issue is with playing center for 7 months of regular season games, playoffs are fine.

On a related note I think Lebron can still turn it on and cover anyone in the playoffs. In terms of backups they better hope Iggy chooses them when he gets bought out.

Yeah. Kind of feels like the roster is constructed to add Iggy.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,751

Post#1055 » by Stanford » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:30 am

Read on Twitter

Imagine a team with Klay Thompson as its best player.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,792

Post#1056 » by eyeatoma » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:21 am

Stanford wrote:
Read on Twitter

LOL that Embiid and Simmons are not on that list. The national media has such a vendetta against this sixers. It's disgusting.

I'm also really annoyed with how much everyone is fawning over Nikola Jokic. Yeah he's really good, but he's not better than Embiid, like at all.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1057 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:03 am

Luka at no.2 is BS
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1058 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:00 am

Stanford wrote:
Read on Twitter

Listened to the podcast. Seems like two impressions stand out..
1.) championship window is short
2.) can’t win championship without shooting

I feel most people have mixed bag on Embiid because he tends to shrink in the playoffs.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1059 » by 76ciology » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:58 am

Speaking on who you’ll start a franchise..

Towns or Siakam?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,792

Post#1060 » by eyeatoma » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:14 am

76ciology wrote:
Stanford wrote:
Read on Twitter

Listened to the podcast. Seems like two impressions stand out..
1.) championship window is short
2.) can’t win championship without shooting

I feel most people have mixed bag on Embiid because he tends to shrink in the playoffs.

Jo didn't shrink in the playoffs. They played off Simmons so he had no room to operate during his first year. During the 2nd year he was injured, hell he did in the first as well.

The key is his fitness.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers