2-way contracts

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,677

2-way contracts 

Post#1 » by penbeast0 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:13 am

Does it seem to anyone else that there are a number of teams who have signed several 2-way players to contracts and the Wizards are falling a bit behind? Who should we be after?
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Re: 2-way contracts 

Post#2 » by closg00 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:44 am

Garrison Matthews has one slot, the other is open, I suppose they are going to give the other spot to one of the camp invites.
AWIZZINGBULLET
Rookie
And1: 139

Post#3 » by AWIZZINGBULLET » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:19 pm

penbeast0 wrote:Does it seem to anyone else that there are a number of teams who have signed several 2-way players to contracts and the Wizards are falling a bit behind? Who should we be after?

Only Detroit and Minnesota have signed more than two players to two-way contracts, unless I missed a team; the majority of teams have given out two-way contracts to one or two players, with the numbers being almost even.

The Wizards signed Garrison Matthews.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#4 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:13 pm

After the draft, we signed Corey Davis, Jr. & Armoni Brooks -- both out of U. of Houston. They were on our SL team, but I don't recollect them playing or, if either of them did play, doing anything much.

To me, Brooks looks like an interesting prospect. He's a 6'3" shooting guard who turned 21 in June -- he entered the draft after his 3d year. Armoni Brooks's college numbers as a Sophomore & Junior were very very good. A few things stick out:

1) he shoots a lot of 3's, & makes a very high % of them (204-508 combined Sophomore & Junior seasons: just over 40%).
2) he rebounds extremely well for a guard: 8.2 per 40 minutes as a Junior, & only slightly fewer his first 2 years.
3) he does not turn the ball over. I mean almost never! -- 1 TO per 40 minutes his last 2 years.
4) he doesn't foul either: 2.35 fouls per 40 minutes his last 2 years.
5) OTOH, he manages 1 assist per 40 minutes.

Brooks looks like a guy who could have a pretty good NBA career. I'll be happy if he winds up our 2d 2-way player.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
closg00
RealGM

Post#5 » by closg00 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:30 pm

payitforward wrote:After the draft, we signed Corey Davis, Jr. & Armoni Brooks -- both out of U. of Houston. They were on our SL team, but I don't recollect them playing or, if either of them did play, doing anything much.

To me, Brooks looks like an interesting prospect. He's a 6'3" shooting guard who turned 21 in June -- he entered the draft after his 3d year. Armoni Brooks's college numbers as a Sophomore & Junior were very very good. A few things stick out:

1) he shoots a lot of 3's, & makes a very high % of them (204-508 combined Sophomore & Junior seasons: just over 40%).
2) he rebounds extremely well for a guard: 8.2 per 40 minutes as a Junior, & only slightly fewer his first 2 years.
3) he does not turn the ball over. I mean almost never! -- 1 TO per 40 minutes his last 2 years.
4) he doesn't foul either: 2.35 fouls per 40 minutes his last 2 years.
5) OTOH, he manages 1 assist per 40 minutes.

Brooks looks like a guy who could have a pretty good NBA career. I'll be happy if he winds up our 2d 2-way player.

FWIW, the Raps had Brooks in for a pre-draft workout and nothing panned-out with them.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#6 » by payitforward » Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:23 pm

Toronto had one pick in this draft -- #59. I assume he was under consideration. They took a big instead.

Perhaps they would have signed him undrafted had Tommy Sheppard not gotten there first?

If Masai Ujiri's staff was interested in him, I think even better of the kid! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man
And1: 594

Post#7 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:19 pm

LA waived 22 yr old, Aric Holman, 6-10 PF, reportedly to make room for Dwight Howard. I hope we consider giving him a 2-way G-League contract. Saw somewhere he has a 7’2” wingspan.

“Holman had a Player Efficiency Rating (PER) that ranked Top 10 in his conference while also finishing Top 5 in box plus-minus two years in a row. He ranked Top 10 in blocks per game among all players in the SEC for three consecutive seasons and improved his three-pointers per game each season in college, connecting on 43.3 percent of his outside shots in his final two years.”
From Bryan Kalbrosky, HoopsHype

Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
closg00
RealGM

Post#8 » by closg00 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:24 am

Holman looks like he can do everything better than Mo and then-some, we should definitely take him on a two-way.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#9 » by payitforward » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:20 am

Holman played on the same team with Quinndary Weatherspoon, whom San Antonio took at #49. He had a terrific Junior year then tailed off some as a Senior. He could be a candidate -- why not?

I really like Weatherspoon, whom I think has a chance to be a solid NBA player (more of a chance, imo, than Admiral). So, yeah, I give Holman a plus just for playing pretty well on the same team. Makes no sense, but... sign him!

Edit: btw, I'm not sure the Lakers are really letting go of Holman: I think they'll try to sign him to their G League team. If/when Howard implodes, Holman would be back.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#10 » by payitforward » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:36 pm

After the draft we signed -- or it was reported that we did -- Armoni Brooks to... some kind of deal. Now I see that the Hawks have signed him to an Exhibit 10 contract. So... maybe not?

Brooks is a SG out of U of Houston. Shot the 3 well, rebounds well for a guard, & basically never turns it over. I thought he was kind of promising & might wind up as our second 2-way.

Lets see how he turns out in Atlanta.
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by BearlyBallin » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:46 pm

I had hopes for Armoni Brooks as well, but he really didn’t have a good showing in Vegas SL for the Wizards. It felt like he came out starting that first game really nervous and seemed to me to be rushing everything. Then I believe the second game he played, things just got worst as he kept throwing up 3’s and only ended up making one attempt. I think in 3 games he was 4 for 24, he did grab a few rebounds but I can’t recall him making an assist even though I think he was credited with one.

Not saying he can’t show up in Atlanta, just saying I wished he had shown something with the Wiz in Vegas.
Tsze-Kung asked, "Is there one word which may serve as a rule of practice for all one's life?"

The Master said, "Is not Reciprocity such a word? What you do not want done to yourself, do not do to others."
~ Confucius about 500 BC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:59 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:I had hopes for Armonie Brooks as well, but he really didn’t have a good showing in Vegas SL for the Wizards. It felt like he came out starting that first game really nervous and seemed to me to be rushing everything. Then I believe the second game he played, things just got worst as he kept throwing up 3’s and only ended up making one attempt. I think in 3 games he was 4 for 24, he did grab a few rebounds but I can’t recall him making an assist even though I think he was credited with one.

Not saying he can’t show up in Atlanta, just saying I wished he had shown something with the Wiz in Vegas.

Just gotta figure the pressure on him to dress well and look stylish - if he could get through that with a name like that - he's gotta be a mentally tough player. Like the saying goes, looking the part is half the battle. If you can actually play, that's just a bonus. No?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#13 » by payitforward » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:33 pm

That's why I wish him well in Atlanta, Ruz -- to dress well Armoni will need moni !!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:38 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:LA waived 22 yr old, Aric Holman, 6-10 PF, reportedly to make room for Dwight Howard. I hope we consider giving him a 2-way G-League contract. Saw somewhere he has a 7’2” wingspan.

“Holman had a Player Efficiency Rating (PER) that ranked Top 10 in his conference while also finishing Top 5 in box plus-minus two years in a row. He ranked Top 10 in blocks per game among all players in the SEC for three consecutive seasons and improved his three-pointers per game each season in college, connecting on 43.3 percent of his outside shots in his final two years.”
From Bryan Kalbrosky, HoopsHype

Scouting reports said he had a rep for being a bit lazy, but I don't get that impression about him for the videos and quotes from him. He's got an intriguing set of skills for a player his size.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM

Post#15 » by payitforward » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:38 am

The Mavs have grabbed Aric Holman. Not clear what kind of contract they're going to give him.
closg00
RealGM

Post#16 » by closg00 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:36 am

Damn, oh-well
BearlyBallin
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by BearlyBallin » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Bye bye Chiozza, good luck young man.

And hello AP

~ Confucius about 500 BC
smoothSeph
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#18 » by smoothSeph » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:41 pm

I guess it makes sense given the injury situation. Team just announced Rui out for at least the next 5 games.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#19 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:48 pm

BearlyBallin wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Bye bye Chiozza, good luck young man.

And hello AP

He's a victim of the depth chart. We are in need of big bodies with so many of our big men out.

I wonder why Chiozza has been playing ahead of Justin Robinson if they had an inkling that Chiozza would ultimately be let go?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#20 » by nate33 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:49 pm

smoothSeph wrote:I guess it makes sense given the injury situation. Team just announced Rui out for at least the next 5 games.

Ouch!

That must have been some kick in the 'nads.

Return to Washington Wizards