ImageImage

OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,105

Re: OT: TV and Movies (with spoilers) 

Post#1001 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:19 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I'm not gonna get into it here because as I'm sure you know, a lot of better writers piled on Dave this week.

It all comes down to evolving as a person and with the times and Dave hasn't.

Its comedy. Not politics. Name a comedian on Mount Rushmore who has evolved into this supposed better person, and took their act to another level as a result. Certainly not a guy like Anthony Jeselnik. He's made a living off his niche and he does it well. And by all accounts, Jeselnik is a good human too. Just knows the right buttons to push to be a successful comedian.

This feels like complaining about Michael Jordan never developing a reliable three point shot. Either Dave Chappelle is your cup of tea or he's not. But he'll most definitely go down as top-5, top-3, or maybe even GOAT when history looks back.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,958

Post#1002 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:24 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I'm not gonna get into it here because as I'm sure you know, a lot of better writers piled on Dave this week.

It all comes down to evolving as a person and with the times and Dave hasn't.

Its comedy. Not politics. Name a comedian on Mount Rushmore who has evolved into this supposed better person, and took their act to another level as a result. Certainly not a guy like Anthony Jeselnik. He's made a living off his niche and he does it well. And by all accounts, Jeselnik is a good human too. Just knows the right buttons to push to be a successful comedian.

This feels like complaining about Michael Jordan never developing a reliable three point shot. Either Dave Chappelle is your cup of tea or he's not. But he'll most definitely go down as top-5, top-3, or maybe even GOAT when history looks back.

I used to love Chappelle, going well back before his TV show. He's just not anywhere near as good anymore and his jokes about gays, trans people, and the abused are just very tired.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1003 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:53 pm

God I can't wait to see this.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1004 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Hell yea.
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,053

Post#1005 » by MissKhriddleton » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:53 am

Can someone tell me what show or movie or any other thing it is where someone spits a loogie but lets it hang from their mouth all the way to like an inch above the ground before sucking it back in?
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,837

Post#1006 » by VooDoo7 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:59 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:Can someone tell me what show or movie or any other thing it is where someone spits a loogie but lets it hang from their mouth all the way to like an inch above the ground before sucking it back in?

The little kid does it on Big Daddy.
Plossum
General Manager
And1: 4,847

Post#1007 » by Plossum » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:38 am

Chappelle’s new Netflix special had hits and misses. Some bits I found funny, others like the MJ section missed the mark I thought. It’s worth a watch though.
#LockUpChuck
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,053

Post#1008 » by MissKhriddleton » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:07 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:Can someone tell me what show or movie or any other thing it is where someone spits a loogie but lets it hang from their mouth all the way to like an inch above the ground before sucking it back in?

The little kid does it on Big Daddy.

That's totally it, thank you.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,713

Post#1009 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:48 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
I used to love Chappelle, going well back before his TV show. He's just not anywhere near as good anymore and his jokes about gays, trans people, and the abused are just very tired.

Getting back to Jeselnik for a second...he was on the Good One podcast and talks very candidly about evolving as a comedian. He used to do jokes about rape, for example, but read a book called "Missoula" and immediately took them out of his act. He mentions something Colbert said that when you're in your 20's and all "edgy" everything is funny to you. But then as you age you start experiencing life and some bad thing inevitably happen that make certain topics less funny. The other thing with him is that you know it's an act right from the get go - he is very open that he is playing the bad guy and that a lot of his fans probably just like him because he's making other people mad. To wit:

https://store.anthonyjeselnik.com/collections/frontpage/products/nothing-like-his-fans-black-tee

A lot of it is context. I see no reason one couldn't figure out an intelligent way to make a transgender joke or a Chinese joke but to do a half assed impersonation of a Chinese person? That was played out when Don Rickles was in his 50's. I don't think Dave is above criticism because of who he is or what he's done. He still has to earn the laughs.

Anyway, I found it really interesting given the ongoing Chapelle discussion.
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,138

Post#1010 » by BMatt07 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:46 pm

I think Chapelle's new special was pretty good, it didn't come close to Killing Them Softly, but I thought it was pretty funny overall.

The idea that comedy must only afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted is an absolute load of crap. Most of the greatest comedians have punched down, whether that be George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Sam Kinison, Dave Chappelle, Louis C.K., Eddie Murphy, Jimmy Carr, etc.

When people say comedy should only be about punching up, what they really mean is "I only want comedians to go after targets that I think should be targets." The people who say these things are rarely comedians of any kind, consider themselves to be socially progressive, consider their opinions to be fact, and consequentially, are almost all universally unfunny.

Read on Twitter
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#1011 » by emunney » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:53 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:a comedian on Mount Rushmore

Who's on the comedy Mount Rushmore? Dave is in the conversation but, man, it's a hot competition. If you were to go with just everybody's first two specials, I think Dave would be an EASY #1.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,634

Post#1012 » by emunney » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:59 pm

I would say Pryor went on quite a journey, though, to answer your question, and I don't anybody's not carving him into the rock.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,327

Post#1013 » by crkone » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:00 pm

emunney wrote:

Who's on the comedy Mount Rushmore? Dave is in the conversation but, man, it's a hot competition. If you were to go with just everybody's first two specials, I think Dave would be an EASY #1.

If it was the comedy Last Supper table, would Cosby be Judas?

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#1014 » by TroyD92 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:01 pm

emunney wrote:

It’s hard to say. In modern day every dumbass who failed his career became a comedian and its kinda muddied the waters of what’s actually good comedy. Rogan and all his hacks have certainly pushed down the quality of content (but increased the volume) that is coming out. Only two modern guys who are still active on the list are Burr and Chapelle.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1015 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:02 pm

Chris Rock had a great three special run with Bring The Pain, Bigger & Blacker, and Never Scared. He'd probably be on my Rushmore.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1016 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:14 pm

BMatt07 wrote:
When people say comedy should only be about punching up, what they really mean is "I only want comedians to go after targets that I think should be targets." The people who say these things are rarely comedians of any kind, consider themselves to be socially progressive, consider their opinions to be fact, and consequentially, are almost all universally unfunny.

JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,105

Post#1017 » by JimmyTheKid » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:15 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Getting back to Jeselnik for a second...he was on the Good One podcast and talks very candidly about evolving as a comedian. He used to do jokes about rape, for example, but read a book called "Missoula" and immediately took them out of his act. He mentions something Colbert said that when you're in your 20's and all "edgy" everything is funny to you. But then as you age you start experiencing life and some bad thing inevitably happen that make certain topics less funny. The other thing with him is that you know it's an act right from the get go - he is very open that he is playing the bad guy and that a lot of his fans probably just like him because he's making other people mad. To wit:

https://store.anthonyjeselnik.com/collections/frontpage/products/nothing-like-his-fans-black-tee

A lot of it is context. I see no reason one couldn't figure out an intelligent way to make a transgender joke or a Chinese joke but to do a half assed impersonation of a Chinese person? That was played out when Don Rickles was in his 50's. I don't think Dave is above criticism because of who he is or what he's done. He still has to earn the laughs.

EVERYTHING Jeselnik jokes about is "edgy." Thats his entire schtick. Just because he doesn't joke about rape anymore doesn't mean he's evolved, just means he's found a different taboo subject to poke fun at.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,593

Post#1018 » by TroyD92 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:16 pm

Also do you get on the comedy Mount Rushmore by just comedy specials ? Guys like Patrice O’Neal (RIP) had one great special, but his content outside of that still makes me crack up to this day. Burr’s podcast alone puts him in contention
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM

Post#1019 » by HaroldinGMinor » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:16 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
HaroldinGMinor wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

EVERYTHING Jeselnik jokes about is "edgy." Thats his entire schtick. Just because he doesn't joke about rape anymore doesn't mean he's evolved, just means he's found a different taboo subject to poke fun at.

Listen to the podcast.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1020 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:17 pm

I'll have to re-watch Jeselnik's latest a second time, but I don't think I'd agree with the notion that he hasn't evolved significantly.

ETA: I'll also admit this was my least favorite of his.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks