ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1321 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:02 pm

They just aired the Jazz/Hornets game from 2016. Hornets won in double OT. Hayward scores 36 in a losing effort, Kemba goes for (at the time) a career-high 52 points. During the postgame interview, he looked so upset because had many bad plays at the end which allowed the Jazz to hang around. Just seeing Kemba's humility and Hayward before his injury.......I can't wait for the season to start.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1322 » by Floody100 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:56 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:They just aired the Jazz/Hornets game from 2016. Hornets won in double OT. Hayward scores 36 in a losing effort, Kemba goes for (at the time) a career-high 52 points. During the postgame interview, he looked so upset because had many bad plays at the end which allowed the Jazz to hang around. Just seeing Kemba's humility and Hayward before his injury.......I can't wait for the season to start.

If Hayward can get back to 2016/17 form we’re going to be lethal. That version of him becomes our second best player this season hands down.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1323 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:04 am

Hope so.. it’s just a weird pairing, I feel like Derozan/Aldridge is the closest match to Kemba/Hayward in approximate talent level. Good, but..
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,588

Post#1324 » by Shak_Celts » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:20 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Ernest wrote:
jirrit wrote:As a lifelong Noah hater I’d still like to have him. I only see very limited roles for all of our bigs at the 5 position:

Kanter max 30 mins, give up lots of D if he’s on the floor.
Theis max 15 mins, he just cant hold his own against real centers.
Poirier, a rookie who’s had two unimpressing SL’s under his belt aint gonna be the big solution.
RW, too raw still, wont be ready for meaningful minutes yet.
Who did I miss?
Imagine an injury to one of this list?

This season is a development season I know but I do think a guy like Noah can help our big projects to develop.

I think this is the hard truth people don't want to hear. Maybe we will get really lucky and someone will have a break out year. Probably not. I feel like the people saying we are fine at center are the same people who were high on RJ Hunter and Fab Melo and Hunter exc.

Sorry to be pessimistic about this. And I'm not sure Noah helps at all, but I'd take a flier on a vet center over a flier on an unproven kid at this point. I want to win games!

My hope is that Phoenix finds a Baynes trade to a team that buys him out, he comes back to our fifteenth roster spot.

As far as pessimism or optimism.. we have a very diversified portfolio at the center spot? The eggs aren’t all in one basket. Best case, all four fit and play well, worst case, none do..

I think the two best plays are betting on Kanter to be a net positive, and betting on Williams to make enough raw impact to warrant developmental minutes where you live with his mistakes.

I'd rather baynes stick with the suns so the lakers dont get a solid backup C. no telling if bam would come back.
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1325 » by Ernest » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:18 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Ernest wrote:
jirrit wrote:As a lifelong Noah hater I’d still like to have him. I only see very limited roles for all of our bigs at the 5 position:

Poirier, a rookie who’s had two unimpressing SL’s under his belt aint gonna be the big solution.
Who did I miss?

This season is a development season I know but I do think a guy like Noah can help our big projects to develop.

I think this is the hard truth people don't want to hear. Maybe we will get really lucky and someone will have a break out year. Probably not. I feel like the people saying we are fine at center are the same people who were high on RJ Hunter and Fab Melo and Hunter exc.

Sorry to be pessimistic about this. And I'm not sure Noah helps at all, but I'd take a flier on a vet center over a flier on an unproven kid at this point. I want to win games!

My hope is that Phoenix finds a Baynes trade to a team that buys him out, he comes back to our fifteenth roster spot.

As far as pessimism or optimism.. we have a very diversified portfolio at the center spot? The eggs aren’t all in one basket. Best case, all four fit and play well, worst case, none do..

I think the two best plays are betting on Kanter to be a net positive, and betting on Williams to make enough raw impact to warrant developmental minutes where you live with his mistakes.

I’d love to have Baynes back too. It’s really sad when teams have to lose a guy like him the way we did. He wanted to be here. We wanted him too. He wasn’t being greedy and only about the money. But yet to make deals work he had to go. I’m not sure how a CBA could be set up to prevent this while still being fair, but the league is better when players stay longer.
PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Post#1326 » by PtruthP34 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:52 am

If Baynes is available at the deadline, and either some of our bigs are banged up or guys like Poirier and Timelord aren't looking like playoff caliber rotation players, I would be all about bringing Baynes back. I really hope he holds no hard feelings against the organization for how things went down; he was beloved here and he seemed to genuinely love the Celtics and our fan base. As the roster stands now, his skillset/rotation slot seems redundant with Kanter and Poirier in the mix (although his defensive impact would surely be an upgrade).
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#1327 » by ParticleMan » Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:33 am

I thought Baynes asked out once he knew Kyrie and Horford were gone. Also, the main issue with Baynes was health.

I'm fine rolling with our current bigs. Every one has a big ? but if one of them can step up the starting C job is theirs. Kanter needs to play decent D, but he's an offensive and rebounding machine. Timelord needs to click on D and hit on his midrange j, but has insane potential. Poirier is all question marks, but has legit size and is a good athlete.

I think this will be an interesting and fun battle. Pugnacious vet vs. athletic binkie vs. international man of mystery. Let's go!
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#1328 » by Triple7 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:33 am

PtruthP34 wrote:If Baynes is available at the deadline, and either some of our bigs are banged up or guys like Poirier and Timelord aren't looking like playoff caliber rotation players, I would be all about bringing Baynes back. I really hope he holds no hard feelings against the organization for how things went down; he was beloved here and he seemed to genuinely love the Celtics and our fan base. As the roster stands now, his skillset/rotation slot seems redundant with Kanter and Poirier in the mix (although his defensive impact would surely be an upgrade).

Baynes moved on, and we should too. If we’re going to get someone, i’d like for someone who can protect the rim and rebound. Baynes can’t block shots and is an average rebounder for his size. He’s a good defender on the block though. I think in time, Poirier and R.Will can fill what he brings here and even more.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#1329 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:49 am

Baynes cannot be reacquired for 12 months.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#1330 » by FlatearthZorro » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:33 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Baynes cannot be reacquired for 12 months.

Yup that rule was brought in a few years ago.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,274

Post#1331 » by Parliament10 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:05 pm

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,618

Post#1332 » by SLCceltic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:24 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

Who did I miss?

Wow, pretty negative view of RW ...theres no reason, barring injury of course, at all to think that he is not ready to contribute. If he is healthy he will be a steady rotation piece at the very least ...

Our insider here said all along they expected a 2 year internship/project from RW. It's not a knock on him, he was just drafted as a project. Perk was too and we turned him into a starter on a championship team who was needed at the time to take on shaq and dwight.

RW is twice the prospect Perk was. Thats not a knock on KP, its just how it is.

RW is a top 10 talent that fell into our laps bc of injury/career longevity concerns, hardly same thing.
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#1333 » by SLCceltic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:30 pm

jirrit wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:
Wow, pretty negative view of RW ...theres no reason, barring injury of course, at all to think that he is not ready to contribute. If he is healthy he will be a steady rotation piece at the very least ...

Our insider here said all along they expected a 2 year internship/project from RW. It's not a knock on him, he was just drafted as a project. Perk was too and we turned him into a starter on a championship team who was needed at the time to take on shaq and dwight.

Yeah I dont think its a negative view, more like a realistic view. I still believe in him as a prospect.

It's a very negative view considering what we have already seen from him ....who wouldn't believe in him as a prospect ?? He can/will thrive in PnR and dominate the rim on D at the very least

...now the FT shooting is still a huge concern, but RW will be a mainstay in our rotation this year and may even start for us if we play super offensive small ball
ROYALGREEN
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#1334 » by SLCceltic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:36 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

Who did I miss?

I think of myself as a reasonable homer who tends to slightly overrate all celtics, but I think that's a pretty fair assessment of Timelord. I'm not giving up on him or anything, but he still doesn't seem to understand rotations or team defense or spacing or movement, or where to be in general. I like his athleticism(obviously), and already see potential as an extremely solid one-on-one defender.

He was drafted as a project, and recent reports indicate that he remains a 2-3 project. I do think it is POSSIBLE that he develops into a valuable piece sometime this year. But I'm not sold on it based on anything I've seen. The flashes are tantalizing though.

As always, I hope you have the opportunity to say "I told you so" this year, because that means good news for the Celtics.

I'm sold. Rotations, Team Defense Spacing, etc can all be learned and developed
What he can already do in his sleep is PnR O and eraser D while guarding 1-5 ...
ROYALGREEN
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1335 » by Feed Your Head » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:42 pm

SLCceltic wrote:
jirrit wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:Our insider here said all along they expected a 2 year internship/project from RW. It's not a knock on him, he was just drafted as a project. Perk was too and we turned him into a starter on a championship team who was needed at the time to take on shaq and dwight.

Yeah I dont think its a negative view, more like a realistic view. I still believe in him as a prospect.

It's a very negative view considering what we have already seen from him ....who wouldn't believe in him as a prospect ?? He can/will thrive in PnR and dominate the rim on D at the very least

...now the FT shooting is still a huge concern, but RW will be a mainstay in our rotation this year and may even start for us if we play super offensive small ball

I mean...dominate the rim? He is a pretty good rim defender, but gets caught out of position constantly because he goes hunting for blocks.

I think he can be a 15 minute a game guy this year, but let's not get carried away.
SLCceltic
Veteran

Post#1336 » by SLCceltic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 pm

The Comedian wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:
jirrit wrote:Yeah I dont think its a negative view, more like a realistic view. I still believe in him as a prospect.

I mean...dominate the rim? He is a pretty good rim defender, but gets caught out of position constantly because he goes hunting for blocks.

I think he can be a 15 minute a game guy this year, but let's not get carried away.

You are absolutely right about his 'chasing' blocks which is another thing he will be able to hone in on and develop. All the signs are there.

15-20 is all he'll give this season bc of Kanter. Kids ceiling is through the roof if he can learn to shoot FTs. He can pass a lil too and runs the floor very very well already. Hardly a 'traditional' project.

Playing 20mins on a contending team behind a 10 year vet is pretty good for a 2nd yr guy. All signs are there barring health concerns of course

If it looks, acts and smells like a diffmaker, most likely is a diffmaker
ROYALGREEN
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1337 » by cloverleaf » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:36 am

SLCceltic wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

You are absolutely right about his 'chasing' blocks which is another thing he will be able to hone in on and develop. All the signs are there.

15-20 is all he'll give this season bc of Kanter. Kids ceiling is through the roof if he can learn to shoot FTs. He can pass a lil too and runs the floor very very well already. Hardly a 'traditional' project.

Playing 20mins on a contending team behind a 10 year vet is pretty good for a 2nd yr guy. All signs are there barring health concerns of course

If it looks, acts and smells like a diffmaker, most likely is a diffmaker

I'll be happy if he turns into a modern-day version of Perk, perfectly capable of starting on a championship team without needing the ball or too many shots to detract from the other guys. He is already a great passer and has the capability to defend both under the basket and out to the arc. He could be a really key piece to the team over the next decade.

But he is still learning. I hope he gets 15 minutes a game from the start of the year. From what he showed in SL, he is ready for that.
Big Joke Line
Sixth Man
And1: 1,692

Post#1338 » by Big Joke Line » Sun Sep 1, 2019 1:51 am

SLCceltic wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
SLCceltic wrote:

RW is twice the prospect Perk was. Thats not a knock on KP, its just how it is.

RW is a top 10 talent that fell into our laps bc of injury/career longevity concerns, hardly same thing.

Is he though? Perk was drafted right out of HS.
Hey Man, nice shot!
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1339 » by Ernest » Sun Sep 1, 2019 3:48 am

I hope you guys are right about RW, but as someone else already said, lets not get carried away. He barely barely played at all last season- if you are expecting him to earn a starting role this year you are just setting yourself up to be let down. The next step for him is to play well enough to get more consistent development minutes. Like 10 a game, most games. If he can play 600 minutes this year and show any improvement during the year then that is a successful season. He doesn't need to start of prove himself better than a former starting center on a title team.
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,588

Post#1340 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Sep 1, 2019 8:13 am

Curmudgeon wrote:Baynes cannot be reacquired for 12 months.

Andrew's post already got around that before a few of our posts, "My hope is that Phoenix finds a Baynes trade to a team that buys him out, he comes back to our fifteenth roster spot."

I dunno if there is other language missed in the rule but if went down as Andrew states, Cs wouldn't be his last team from a trade, Phx would. Either way, Baynes needs to stick with Phx. :)
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)

Return to Boston Celtics