ImageImageImage

Around the NBA (4.0) *Non-Celtics Talk*

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Re: Around the NBA (4.0) *Non-Celtics Talk* 

Post#1801 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:20 pm

robdog_5 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:That's a great signing by the Lakers. Dwight can still play when healthy.

are you a Laker fan?

Isn't this the thread about the NBA which doesn't relate to the Celtics?

The the nets make good signing swith Irving and KD. I also think that the Clippers make a good trade go get PG and getting KL. I suppose you think I am a nets fan and Clippers fan because I think they made some good moves?
*Insert witty signature here.*
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#1802 » by Taget » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:17 pm

La Flame wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:That's a great signing by the Lakers. Dwight can still play when healthy.

He definitely can still play once healthy. He really must be that desperate accepting a fully non guaranteed deal with the lakers. No protection at all.

Dwight's used to no protection considering he's got like 10 kids

Too bad Wilt isn't around to give a seminar to all the young players about how to sleep with 20,000 women and not pay any child support. They really need to hear it.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Post#1803 » by threrf23 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:44 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
He’s gotten worse shooting every year, coinciding with increased usage. LeVert is a poor FT shooter, poor mid range shooter and displayed heinous touch near the rim [58% this year]. There is nothing in his shooting profile that indicates he’ll be an average shooter.

People overrate him because of a ~10 game stretch to open the season and a 6 game playoff stretch. The reality is that he’s a volume scorer that isnt terribly efficient and hasnt shown that he can provide value off ball. He’s not good.

You make him sound almost like early career Kemba Walker.

I don't know. I've liked the guy he made an impression on me in the final four as a freshman in college. Maybe it was sophomore year, I don't remember.

Entering the league, he was known as an inconsistent shooter - but otherwise the main knock on him was that he was injury prone and had dealt with continuous foot/ankle issues. He had also gained 50 pounds between freshman and senior years if I recall right (good thing since he was initially rail thin), which likely played into those injury issues. But he was known as a decent, well rounded scorer and shooter who had good instincts and who passed the ball well.

Interestingly he was a 80% FT shooter his last two years in college - and has dropped to 70% in the NBA. But by all accounts the guy has good poise and good instincts and that separates him from the ETs of the world. His ability to remain healthy remains a question mark, his ability to effectively and consistently assert himself as a scorer in the NBA remains a question mark. But he's the type of guy who should improve with better teammates around him.

Not saying I like his contract extension, just saying.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#1804 » by Roddy » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:13 pm

Read on Twitter
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#1805 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Kyrie and KD want nets to sign Melo...

Oh please sign Melo.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1806 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:34 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:Kyrie and KD want nets to sign Melo...

Oh please sign Melo.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#1807 » by brackdan70 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:33 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:

Oh please sign Melo.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

THis would be incredible. No longer the Billy King Nets though.
Sign here
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#1808 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:49 pm

Lol at Cousins getting a warrant issued for his arrest. What a tool.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#1809 » by Triple7 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:02 pm

Oh please sign Melo.

He could still be a good scoring option off the bench. If he’s willing to accept his role, i think he can be good for them. Especially since KD is out.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1810 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:38 am

Triple7 wrote:

Oh please sign Melo.

He could still be a good scoring option off the bench. If he’s willing to accept his role, i think he can be good for them. Especially since KD is out.

At what point do we stop stating these hypotheticals about Melo accepting his role— its never going to happen. Its the same **** as with Dwight, at some point people just are who they are.

Melo is never going to be comfortable taking only catch and shoot threes. He’ll always hesitate briefly which will allow the defense to recover because its just who he is. His first instinct will always be to the dribble in and try to cook. And he’s just never going to be efficient at doing this anymore.

Trying to same **** over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. I pray that the Nets do this, it’ll make next season significantly more enjoyable for me.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#1811 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:35 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Oh please sign Melo.

At what point do we stop stating these hypotheticals about Melo accepting his role— its never going to happen. Its the same **** as with Dwight, at some point people just are who they are.

Melo is never going to be comfortable taking only catch and shoot threes. He’ll always hesitate briefly which will allow the defense to recover because its just who he is. His first instinct will always be to the dribble in and try to cook. And he’s just never going to be efficient at doing this anymore.

Trying to same **** over and over and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. I pray that the Nets do this, it’ll make next season significantly more enjoyable for me.

I also think that it's worth mentioning that Melo's ego isn't even the main problem anymore. He accepted being a role player in Houston and that didn't work at all. He can't play defense, and no one needs a low efficiency scorer coming off the bench to provide instant offense. The guy hasn't shot over 45% for 5 years. This whole narrative about Melo being blacklisted being pushed by Stephen A. Smith is disgusting because they make it seem like it is due to non-basketball reasons. Anyone who's seen Melo outside of the Olympics knows the guy is cooked. You can find better role players in the D-League.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#1812 » by Taget » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:39 am

Oh please sign Melo.

Darn. Was hoping the Lakers would sign him.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,038

Post#1813 » by brackdan70 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:08 am

Triple7 wrote:

Oh please sign Melo.

I don’t see any evidence that suggests he can be good. At 35 yo he is done. Barely shot 40% the last two seasons with absolutely no D. You can’t play that guy in the NBA.
Sign here
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1814 » by Ernest » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:14 am

It’s really hard to play in the nba at 35. I’m only 34 and it’s even too hard for me.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,332

Post#1815 » by Triple7 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:17 am

brackdan70 wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Oh please sign Melo.

I don’t see any evidence that suggests he can be good. At 35 yo he is done. Barely shot 40% the last two seasons with absolutely no D. You can’t play that guy in the NBA.

Well maybe good is not the right word, but he could still be serviceable given the right situation. Maybe on a non-contending team needing an offense off the bench. Last season he played with 2 ball stoppers in paul and harden. I’d like to see what he does on the right team. Let’s see if he’s truly done.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1816 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:23 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

I also think that it's worth mentioning that Melo's ego isn't even the main problem anymore. He accepted being a role player in Houston and that didn't work at all. He can't play defense, and no one needs a low efficiency scorer coming off the bench to provide instant offense. The guy hasn't shot over 45% for 5 years. This whole narrative about Melo being blacklisted being pushed by Stephen A. Smith is disgusting because they make it seem like it is due to non-basketball reasons. Anyone who's seen Melo outside of the Olympics knows the guy is cooked. You can find better role players in the D-League.

He did, but it Melo ways as opposed to doing what the team wanted. Chris Vernon highlighted this the other day on his podcast with KOC, but Melo shot an obscene % of mid range shots last year, finishing very high up on the Rockets list in that regard despite playing like 10 games. The dude may accept a smaller role, but he’s never gunna be this guy who sits in the corner and solely takes catch-and-shoot threes— its just not his game and never will be.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,345

Post#1817 » by Captain_Caveman » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:29 am

Rumors flying that Iguodala headed to the Clippers tomorrow.

Makes sense. Jerry West loves him.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,641

Post#1818 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:53 am

Captain_Caveman wrote:Rumors flying that Iguodala headed to the Clippers tomorrow.

I saw that rumor too.

If true, the Clippers have the three best LeBron defenders in the league (Kawhi, PG13, Iggy). Yikes @ Lakers
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,927

Post#1819 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:44 am

Ainge can't even get a meeting with Iggy. Fire Danny!
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,104

Post#1820 » by La Flame » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:16 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:Rumors flying that Iguodala headed to the Clippers tomorrow.

I saw that rumor too.

If true, the Clippers have the three best LeBron defenders in the league (Kawhi, PG13, Iggy). Yikes @ Lakers

There's also a 4th feller named Father Time

Return to Boston Celtics