ImageImageImageImageImage

Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,258
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Re: Dennis Smith, Jr. Thread 

Post#881 » by BKlutch » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:42 pm

F N 11 wrote:Knicks gunna have a breakout year imo. We have a team full of slept on talent. The difference is they all want to get better.

Not just that - this talent is mostly very young so has a real chance to keep growing normally. Those who breakout will go beyond the normal growth of the kiddies. This is exciting.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

TheGreenArrow
RealGM
And1: 32,941

Post#882 » by TheGreenArrow » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:13 pm

Read on Twitter

CANT **** WAIT!!!!!
NewYorkOrNoWhere!!!!!!!!!!!!
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,043

Post#883 » by 3toheadmelo » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:22 am

Throwback
Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,754

Post#884 » by KingDavid » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:34 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:Throwback
Read on Twitter

This looks like before the acl tear?
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#885 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:55 pm

KingDavid wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:Throwback
Read on Twitter

This looks like before the acl tear?

Yeah I think it was before
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#886 » by NYKAL » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:00 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
BKAY wrote:As a longtime DSJ skeptic, I have to admit he has been putting in the work you want to see in the off season. Its at the point, where not a week has gone by without some clip recently. Working on his shot and hopefully is stronger on defense. If those two things happen, he is shaping up to be a solid starting pg for us.

lack of clips doesn't mean you're not working. but i feel you. DSJ is showing us the effort, and i've got nothing but respect for that. it was a concern of mine in the pre-draft with him. remained a concern in DAL. it's go time for him and many young players who've gotten a season or three under their belts.

very much looking forward to how it looks on the court.

I think he has extra motivating after being underappreciated in Dallas and then being traded to the team he actually wants to play for. I think he's determined to succeed. I was never a big DSJ fan but, I try not to judge too harsh until they've reached their 3rd year. A surprising amount of players actually regress in year 2 but, then break out in year 3.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#887 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:19 pm

Read on Twitter
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,136

Post#888 » by thebuzzardman » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:57 pm

I can't wait until the excellence of DSJr leads us to 30 wins.
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,175

Post#889 » by BBALLER4FR » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:14 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

I sure hope DSJr is not looking to replicate Baron Davis. Not that Davis wasn't one of the most dynamic PG's in the game but I don't feel like emulating this would be a benefit to the team. If he believes he has the skill set to be Baron, he'd be best served to shoot for some hybrid of Baron Davis and Chris Paul. Dial back on the Baron flash and develop more of that CP3 floor general.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#890 » by 3toheadmelo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:12 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

I sure hope DSJr is not looking to replicate Baron Davis. Not that Davis wasn't one of the most dynamic PG's in the game but I don't feel like emulating this would be a benefit to the team. If he believes he has the skill set to be Baron, he'd be best served to shoot for some hybrid of Baron Davis and Chris Paul. Dial back on the Baron flash and develop more of that CP3 floor general.

Yeah I feel you on that. A hybrid of those players would be pretty awesome. He does look up to both of them and they actually have been mentoring him over the past couple of years so the influence is there.
NYKAL
General Manager
And1: 2,157

Post#891 » by NYKAL » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:33 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'd be exstatic if he reached BD's level (without BD's fragile body)
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#892 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:08 pm

NYKAL wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

i believe in the draft thread some of us mentioned baron davis as a ceiling comparison for junior.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
TheScout31
Junior
And1: 387

Post#893 » by TheScout31 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:49 pm

Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NYKAL wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Read on Twitter

i believe in the draft thread some of us mentioned baron davis as a ceiling comparison for junior.

Many did, and I thought it was an odd one. Athletically, yah, they're a match. Both definitely more scoring oriented PGs (with poor shot selection and efficiency), but Davis' vision was far superior to Smith's. DSJr is a fine passer, but Davis had legit elite vision.
malik959
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,832

Post#894 » by malik959 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 2:15 am

NYKinMIA
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,969

Post#895 » by NYKinMIA » Sun Sep 1, 2019 7:40 am

If this kid is as committed as he's led us to believe this off-season. Special, imo.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#896 » by Jeff Van Gully » Sun Sep 1, 2019 9:16 pm

TheScout31 wrote:
Jeff Van Gully wrote:
NYKAL wrote:

Many did, and I thought it was an odd one. Athletically, yah, they're a match. Both definitely more scoring oriented PGs (with poor shot selection and efficiency), but Davis' vision was far superior to Smith's. DSJr is a fine passer, but Davis had legit elite vision.

couldn't agree more. and while baron took a lot of bad shots, he came into the NBA with better offensive skills.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,083

Post#897 » by moocow007 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:56 pm

Smith's problem hasn't ever been talent or athleticism. It's been his mental makeup (not game cause he actually does know what to do on the court).

His rep is not that of a hard working team first player. He hasn't always took care of himself physically which may have contributed to his up and down performances and health issues. And he does have that me first rep that clashed in Dallas with coach and teammates (true or not, that's the rep so you have to believe there's some truth in that).

It's a contributing factor into why he was drafted 9th instead of in the top 3. From a pure talent and tools standpoint many scouts said he was a clear top 2-3 talent (possibly the top talent).

So it's good to see that conditioning is something he's been taking a lot of time working on and being serious about. It's something that he's not really shown great interest in in the past. Does it guarantee anything? No. But it's a good sign.

Just like with Frank, this is a potential make or break season for Junior.

Sent from my SM-N960U using RealGM mobile app
Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#898 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:02 pm

moocow007 wrote:Smith's problem hasn't ever been talent or athleticism. It's been his mental game.

His rep is not that of a hard working team first player. He hasn't always took care of himself physically which may have contributed to his up and down performances and health issues. And he does have that me first rep that clashed in Dallas with coach and teammates (true or not, that's the rep so you have to believe there's some truth in that).

It's a contributing factor into why he was drafted 9th instead of in the top 3. From a pure talent and tools standpoint many scouts said he was a clear top 2-3 talent.

So it's good to see that conditioning is something he's been taking a lot of time working on and being serious about. It's something that he's not really shown great interest in in the past. Does it guarantee anything? No. But it's a good sign.

It's been reported that his knee surgery is why he dropped.
:beer: RIP mags
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,083

Post#899 » by moocow007 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:18 pm

Are We Ther Yet wrote:
moocow007 wrote:Smith's problem hasn't ever been talent or athleticism. It's been his mental game.

It's a contributing factor into why he was drafted 9th instead of in the top 3. From a pure talent and tools standpoint many scouts said he was a clear top 2-3 talent.

That wasn't the reason he dropped all the way to 9 is the point. Teams were reportedly scared away because of concerns about his mental makeup which included his work ethic. A top 3 talent (again some felt he was the top talent) wouldn't drop to 9 even with the knee issues.

Jalen Bluntson
RealGM
And1: 19,215

Post#900 » by Jalen Bluntson » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:38 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Are We Ther Yet wrote:

That wasn't the reason he dropped all the way to 9 is the point. Teams were reportedly scared away because of concerns about his mental makeup which included his work ethic. A top 3 talent (again some felt he was the top talent) wouldn't drop to 9 even with the knee issues.

Well...I would think ACL surgery has a huge impact on things. Most likely...bigger impact than any work ethic rumors. How can a top 2-3 talent have bad work ethic.
:beer: RIP mags

Return to New York Knicks