ImageImageImageImageImage

Biggest, Interesting, Favorite STORYLINES of 2019-20 Clips Season

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

50CalClips
Rookie
And1: 323

Biggest, Interesting, Favorite STORYLINES of 2019-20 Clips Season 

Post#1 » by 50CalClips » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:13 pm

There are the big, obvious ones, but there are also a ton of smaller, under-the-radar, very particular storylines that are just as exciting to see play out.

The BIG (obvious) Storylines:
    - Kawhi and George and Championships
    - The Battle of L.A. -- Clippers vs LeLakers -- Kawhi/PG vs LeBron/AD
    - Establishing true Clippers Culture, Redefining our Identity
    - The proposed new Clippers Arena
    - Possibility of Re-Branding

What are some other interesting, exciting Clippers-related Storylines for 2020 and beyond?
And which particular (smaller?) storyline is your personal favorite?
50CalClips
Rookie

Re: Biggest, Interesting, Favorite STORYLINES of 2019-20 Clips Season 

Post#2 » by 50CalClips » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:47 pm

As of right now, the question I can't stop thinking of is...

- Who's the Clippers' "Closer"?
Who's the man deciding what happens in the final minutes, final seconds of the game?

Lou Will was, unquestionably, our guy last season (and still the veteran voice in the locker room)
Kawhi is the Super Star, Finals MVP.
Paul George may be the most skilled.

Stats in the "Clutch" according to 82Games.com...

LOU WILLIAMS, 2018-19 - Clippers
Floor Time statistics
Min -- Net Pts -- Off -- Def -- Net48 -- W-L -- Win%
72% -- +91 --- 131.8 -- 92.6 -- 39.2 -- 25-11 -- 69.4%

Scoring (per 48 mins)
FG --- FGA --- FG% -- eFG% -- Ast'd -- Blk'd -- FTM -- Pts
14.6 -- 31.9 -- .459 -- .520 --- 29% --- 1% --- 13.4 --- 46.5

KAWHI LEONARD, 2018-19 - Raptors
Floor Time statistics
Min -- Net Pts -- Off -- Def -- Net48 -- W-L -- Win%
85% --- +41 -- 111.7 -- 98.0 -- 13.7 -- 20-11 -- 64.5%

Scoring (per 48 mins)
17.7 -- 36.5 -- .486 -- .528 --- 26% --- 1% --- 12.4 --- 50.8

PAUL GEORGE, 2018-19, Thunder
Floor Time statistics
Min -- Net Pts -- Off -- Def --- Net48 -- W-L -- Win%
91% --- +13 --- 119.0 -- 115.0 -- 4.0 -- 24-18 -- 57.1%

Scoring (per 48 mins)
11.2 -- 29.7 -- .375 -- .458 -- 39% --- 8% --- 17.7 --- 44.9

http://www.82games.com/index.htm

According to 82Games.com...
Lou Williams ranked #1 (+91) in Net +/- Scoring in the "clutch time" (last 5 mins of 4th Quarter and all Overtime)... Nikola Jokic was #2 (+89), JJ Redick was #3 (+76)

Kawhi ranked #6 (27.3) in FG Attempts (per 36 mins in "clutch time")... Donovan Mitchell was #1 (33.0), Kyrie was #2 (32.8), Kemba was #3 (29.7)

Paul George ranked #6 (14.6) in FT Attempts (per 36 mins "clutch time")... Harden was #1 (24.8), LeBron was #2 (17.1), Embiid was #3 (16.8)

Sortable NBA Player "Clutch" Stats: http://www.82games.com/1819/CSORT3.HTM
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,078

Bold Predictions To Storylines 

Post#3 » by Wammy Giveaway » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:04 pm

1. Tim Duncan 2.0: Leonard's personality and professionalism is gonna rub off on the Clippers like never before. Like Tim Duncan on the Spurs, Leonard is gonna teach the franchise how not to be rattled by expectations and outside distractions. This will be the ultimate test for a franchise that, in the past, was known for letting even the slightest of details and oversights bother them into losses. The upshot of the change in behavior will be the first time in franchise history that they barely get even a technical foul, flagrant foul, or ejection. You will see zero suspensions. Ego 101 is in session, and it's time to stop talking and start walking.

"So take a walk, Ben" - Julian McMahon (Doctor Doom, Fantastic 4)

2. The Ghost Of Clippers Past: Ramona Shelburne, host of The Sterling Affairs, addressed that the current regime want to forget that Donald Sterling ever existed. It's good for their focus, but can they sustain it. Laker fans will be out in troves reminding the Clippers of what their ex-owner did for the Lakers before even joining the NBA fraternity as a form of psychological tactic. But I predict something else may happen to ignite the rivalry: Chris Paul, the culture changer for the Clippers who should have been a Laker until Stern's veto, will join the purple and gold as his last resort. His buddy LeBron is there, he's president of players association, he has a tarnished image for punching Rajon Rondo, and he wants revenge on the Clippers for his downward spiral. The Battle Of L.A. could culminate in the 2nd round, a place the franchise has never gotten past in the playoffs. They got rid of the owner, they got rid of the bad practices and attitudes that the owner festered unto the franchise, all that's left is to defeat the team that the owner helped create, but it might prove difficult if the Lakers find a way to acquire the very man who gave the Clippers their first true taste of extended relevancy in their entire history. Clippers will have to face their past sooner and later, and if they're successful by beating the Lakers in a playoff series, the last remnant of the Sterling stench will be gone... forever.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,826

Post#4 » by SK21209 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:23 pm

To me, Shamet is the key to this team. I think there's a chance he could develop into our PG, which really unlocks the offense.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

L.A.'s Homegrown GOAT 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:45 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
50CalClips
Rookie

Re: L.A.'s Homegrown GOAT 

Post#6 » by 50CalClips » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:39 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

I've been tossing around a theory related to this...

The idea that this is So Cal's "Golden Generation" in Basketball, to borrow the expression from the Soccer/Football world. The term refers to a group of athletes representing a historical peak in the quality of athletes in a sport from a particular country (or state, or city?).

Russell Westbrook (Hawthorne)
James Harden (Lakewood)
Kawhi Leonard (Moreno Valley)
Paul George (Palmdale)
Klay Thompson (Los Angeles)
DeMar DeRozan (Compton)
Kevin Love (Santa Monica)
Jrue Holliday (Chatsworth)
Brook Lopez (North Hollywood)
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,420

Post#7 » by TrueLAfan » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:14 pm

1. Old vs. New. The Lakers are the old. Good in some significant ways—traditions, past success. But what have you done for me lately? Player acquisitions, coaching and front office structure, team culture are all old school in a bad way. The New Lakers want to be like the Old Lakers …except I’m not (at all) sure that franchise and star model of the past will work for them in the 2020s.

The Clippers are the new. New owner, new players, new culture, new coaches, new structure, new stadium on the way. They’re built from the bottom up, to emphasize a style of play and a team attitude and cohesiveness. They will be pushing that narrative; I think it’s a great plan. It skews the fan base younger, toward an open-minded approach to new ways of doing things.

2. Team role and attitude. Kinda related to #1. The Warriors (and Raptors) succeeded because of team buy in. Curry and Durant are/were obviously great players; Klay and Draymond are/were fantastic players. But for many years—until last year—the thing worked for them was harmony. The stars and near stars and bench players understood their roles within the team framework and did what they were told. They bought in. Getting those players, along with Iggy and Shaun and McGee and role players, to do their parts and stay focused on the big picture was the biggest factor in getting them to conference titles and championships. Best example: Javale McGee. I heard a lot more about McGee’s lack of playing time and how he wanted to play more with McGee the Laker than I ever did with McGee the Warrior … even though McGee played more with the Lakers than he did in his two combined seasons with the Warriors. Golden State clearly got him on board; you’ll play this role on this team, because we’re going for a championship.

The Clippers can and should be pushing this storyline—hopefully because it’s true. The keys to the highest levels of success won’t be outstanding play by PG and KAwhi. It will be players 7-10 in the rotation knowing their roles, playing hard, doing what is needed and defining and buying into the team concept. I figure Zu, Green, Harkless, and McGruder will be 7-10 on the team in total minutes (behind PG, Kawhi, Lou, Bev, Trezz, and Sham). They’re going to be 100% critical to having a team identity and to championship level achievement. We get buy in from them and we’re rocking.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#8 » by 50CalClips » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:51 pm

SK21209 wrote:To me, Shamet is the key to this team. I think there's a chance he could develop into our PG, which really unlocks the offense.

Same here.
This is one of those smaller, more specific, storylines that could be very interesting.

To quote myself (Jazz board/thread) - "Landry Shamet is the most pivotal player for the 2020 Clippers. Kawhi and George are more important, but Shamet is the biggest "X-factor." He's already an elite shooter (historically great for Rookie) but with George at SG, Shamet may be asked to play some PG, like he did in College. And if George possibly misses the first few weeks of the season (return from surgery YTBD), Shamet will be most responsible to fill that role."

And this ties in with TrueLAfan's post...

TrueLAfan wrote:2. Team role and attitude.... The Warriors (and Raptors) succeeded because of team buy in... The stars and near stars and bench players understood their roles within the team framework and did what they were told. They bought in. Getting those players, along with Iggy and Shaun and McGee and role players, to do their parts and stay focused on the big picture was the biggest factor in getting them to conference titles and championships
The keys to the highest levels of success won’t be outstanding play by PG and KAwhi. It will be players 7-10 in the rotation knowing their roles, playing hard, doing what is needed and defining and buying into the team concept. I figure Zu, Green, Harkless, and McGruder will be 7-10 on the team in total minutes (behind PG, Kawhi, Lou, Bev, Trezz, and Sham). They’re going to be 100% critical to having a team identity and to championship level achievement. We get buy in from them and we’re rocking.

Kawhi and George can't do it all on their own. The Landry Shamet's and Ivica Zubac's will have to excel in their roles too in order to reach Championship level.
clipsfever
Junior
And1: 150

Post#9 » by clipsfever » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:15 pm

How much better can Trez get in his contract year? How much will he cost on a re-up? Will Mo Harkless's expiring salary cover the raise Trez will get in next year's budget, or will Trez cost even more than that (above $18 mil per)?
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#10 » by 50CalClips » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:57 pm

How about this one...

- Clippers in Contention for Individual Awards

Paul George was in the running for MVP this past season. Kawhi was right up there for the 2017 MVP.

Pat Beverley has stated in the past that he's gunning for the Defensive Player of the Year award.

Lou Williams, we know he "could," but will he win the Sixth Man of the Year award AGAIN!? And if not Lou, then what about Montrezl?

Landry Shamet could be get early consideration for Most Improved Player if he's the one taking up Paul George's role early in the season, if, if, if George misses the first few weeks of the season (recovering from surgeries)

*Shai Gilgeous-Alexander might be the front-runner for Most Improved Player award. (*Clippers-emeritus)
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Doc Lighting Fire with Zen Master's Tricks 

Post#11 » by Ranma » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:18 am

Read on Twitter

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Post#12 » by playaloc916 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:08 pm

Not going to lie, that 2008 Celtics win over the Lakers was one of the most satisfying finals I've ever seen. I liked that team, of course, this was before KG let the fame get to his head and became a ****.

I think Doc can say this because the current team hasn't played together yet, so there's still a level of uncertainty.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,885

Post#13 » by esqtvd » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:32 pm

I think Zubac is the tipping point this season, assuming everybody else plays up to form.

Trezz seems best at around 24 minutes, which leaves 24 mpg to make up. We can steal a few minutes at the 5 with some small ball, but if Zubac can stay on the floor productively for 20+ mpg, we're gold. If under 20, we're vulnerable.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#14 » by 50CalClips » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:13 pm

Ranma wrote:Doc Lighting Fire with Zen Master's Tricks

esqtvd wrote:I think Zubac is the tipping point this season, assuming everybody else plays up to form.

Trezz seems best at around 24 minutes, which leaves 24 mpg to make up. We can steal a few minutes at the 5 with some small ball, but if Zubac can stay on the floor productively for 20+ mpg, we're gold. If under 20, we're vulnerable.

Addressing both of these thoughts -- Conventional wisdom would suggest that the Clippers should've added a Joakim Noah or Dwight Howard to fortify the PF/C position(s). Zubac is young and far from fully developed (esp physically)... Montrezl is undersized (markedly low Rebounding for a PF/C)... JaMychal fits a role but is limited... Kabengele is a rookie.

So why not add a veteran Big?
I think this is a show of faith by the Clippers brain-trust, which in turn puts the onus on Zubac and Montrezl, esp, to produce. (Hopefully) It also suggests that they believe in Kabengele, and that he'll be getting meaningful minutes.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#15 » by 50CalClips » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:39 pm

Under the "Clippers vs LeLakers" Storyline umbrella...

Zubac vs the Lakers will be a really interesting sub-storyline/mini-storyline.

Why did they just hand us our Starting Center?
JaVale McGee made some demands(???) was that really the reason?

Whatever the case, think of the matchup...
Zubac vs JaVale... and now also Zubac vs Dwight... and possibly Zubac vs AD, as well.

A significant part of what's going to determine the outcome of "The Battle of L.A." is going to depend on the kid.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,082

Re: Doc Lighting Fire with Zen Master's Tricks 

Post#16 » by og15 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:44 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's a question maybe I wouldn't necessarily answer if I'm him, but depends on your players. It might be fun conversation between him and his players saying "oh you don't think we could beat them huh?". That Celtics team was interesting. They were so good in the RS, historic defense, but they battled through the playoffs, couldn't beat anyone on the road until ECF. 7 games, 7 games, 6 games before getting to the finals. They won game 7 against Cleveland by 5 points, and it was 89-88 Celtics with 1:41 left. They could just have easily have been out in the second round!

Lesson is that it doesn't matter how you get there, as long as you do.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#17 » by 50CalClips » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:05 pm

- Clippers Homecoming

This season will be a transformative year in the Clippers history (in L.A. sports history). Paul George and Kawhi Leonard decided to "come home" back to So Cal and chose the Clippers.

The timing is perfect -- There's a synergy to capitalize on. Clips Execs should take the opportunity to shine light on the positives in our history, the fond memories... and invite Clippers of the past to a "Clippers Homecoming" of sorts. And I'm talking about more than just video tributes. From Bob McAdoo to Elton Brand, Bill Walton to Chris Kaman, Randy Smith to Jamal Crawford, Ken Norman to Corey Maggette, Norm Nixon to Baron Davis, Mark Jackson to Sam Cassell, Loy Vaught to Matt Barnes, Brent Barry, Q Richardson, Bo Outlaw, Darius Miles... the Clippers should take the time to recognize these guys... Staples should be hosting a celebration every game! With Ralph Lawler and Bill Walton hosting the Homecoming. Just imagine it.

(come on Ballmer, Frank, Doc, embrace the moment)
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#18 » by esqtvd » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:48 pm

50CalClips wrote:- Clippers Homecoming

This season will be a transformative year in the Clippers history (in L.A. sports history). Paul George and Kawhi Leonard decided to "come home" back to So Cal and chose the Clippers.

The timing is perfect -- There's a synergy to capitalize on. Clips Execs should take the opportunity to shine light on the positives in our history, the fond memories... and invite Clippers of the past to a "Clippers Homecoming" of sorts. And I'm talking about more than just video tributes. From Bob McAdoo to Elton Brand, Bill Walton to Chris Kaman, Randy Smith to Jamal Crawford, Ken Norman to Corey Maggette, Norm Nixon to Baron Davis, Mark Jackson to Sam Cassell, Loy Vaught to Matt Barnes, Brent Barry, Q Richardson, Bo Outlaw, Darius Miles... the Clippers should take the time to recognize these guys... Staples should be hosting a celebration every game! With Ralph Lawler and Bill Walton hosting the Homecoming. Just imagine it.

I like the idea but I also don't. [Except for Ralph. Hope they have him keep a hand in somehow.]

I also like wiping the slate clean with the new era that started when CP and Blake were traded. Almost everybody we put on the floor now is traceable to those 2 trades, and Kawhi and PG wanted to come to the Clippers because of that wealth of role players.

Pat Bev: CP trade
Lou: CP trade
Trezz: CP trade
Shamet: via Tobias trade for Blake
Zubac: Mike Muscala, via Tobias trade of Blake
JaMychal: Avery Bradley, from trade of Blake

Plus Shai was a big component of the PG deal, and he was drafted with the Pistons pick from the trade of Blake. Add in Kawhi, and that's pretty much our playoff rotation. Pretty cool.
50CalClips
Rookie

Post#19 » by 50CalClips » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:20 pm

esqtvd wrote:

I like the idea but I also don't. [Except for Ralph. Hope they have him keep a hand in somehow.]

I also like wiping the slate clean with the new era that started when CP and Blake were traded. Almost everybody we put on the floor now is traceable to those 2 trades, and Kawhi and PG wanted to come to the Clippers because of that wealth of role players...

THIS WOULD BE WIPING THE SLATE CLEAN, in a sense. Don't you see it?

We Clippers --the new Clippers-- we honor our Players. By celebrating these guys, we rid ourselves of the shame of the past. By shining positivity on our past, it gives the Eric Piatkowski's and Lamond Murray's, Charles Smith's, and Lamar Odom's a chance to enjoy being a Clipper.

In stark contrast to the previous ownership/management, the Clippers now engender positivity with the Players (and fans), they ingratiate themselves the Players (and fans, and vice versa).
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#20 » by esqtvd » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:28 pm

50CalClips wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I also like wiping the slate clean with the new era that started when CP and Blake were traded. Almost everybody we put on the floor now is traceable to those 2 trades, and Kawhi and PG wanted to come to the Clippers because of that wealth of role players...

THIS WOULD BE WIPING THE SLATE CLEAN, in a sense. Don't you see it?

We Clippers --the new Clippers-- we honor our Players. By celebrating these guys, we rid ourselves of the shame of the past. By shining positivity on our past, it gives the Eric Piatkowski's and Lamond Murray's, Charles Smith's, and Lamar Odom's a chance to enjoy being a Clipper.

In stark contrast to the previous ownership/management, the Clippers now engender themselves the Players.

I want to watch THIS team, not have all those pregame and halftime distractions. I like old home nights, but you usually save them for when the team isn't going so well and you want to try to goose the attendance.

I see your point completely but I don't even want to LOOK at those losers just now LOL. I want them in the rearview mirror. :wave:

Return to Los Angeles Clippers