Thunder Offseason Thread Part Deux: Rebuild

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: Thunder Offseason Thread Part Deux: Rebuild 

Post#561 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:34 pm

slick_watts wrote:justin patton has been horrific in the g-league.

He was not.
I seen "horrific" and he is not it.
jambalaya
Sixth Man
And1: 286

Post#562 » by jambalaya » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:31 pm

Patton is a very traditional big at this point. Cheap. Signing makes more sense if Adams is eventually leaving than if he is staying.

He can run and dunk and I guess block shots. Will set picks. How good? I'd have to see more.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,177

Post#563 » by AirP. » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:justin patton has been horrific in the g-league.

He was not.
I seen "horrific" and he is not it.

Right, he didn't knock anyone's socks off but he wasn't close to horrific. Both D-League stints came from missing a lot of time working on keeping his game solid and working to get better, he's currently and during these d-league stints, behind at this point.

His PER36s from the G-League (because he played limited minutes, not even 20 mpg in Delaware)
17-18 Iowa - 36 games - 19.7 pts, 8.6 reb, 2.5 ast, 3.4 to, 2.2 blk, 53% TS, 22.5 USG%
18-19 Delaware - 11 games - 16.9 pts, 10.8 reb, 3.4 ast, 3.9 to, 3.9 blk, 52.3% TS, 26.9 USG%

I do get that if he breaks a foot again, he may not get another chance to make an NBA roster.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,168

Post#564 » by ThunderBolt » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:51 pm

"I am not Russell Westbrook," Gilgeous-Alexander said matter-of-factly Thursday. "We don't have the same game, the same body type, nothing like that. So I'm going to try to be myself, the best me, and everything else will take care of itself."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27441752/not-filling-westbrook-shoes

Kind of surprising we have had 2 non Royce articles on espn in the last week or so about Bazley and Shai.

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,284

Post#565 » by Old Man Game » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:07 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
"I am not Russell Westbrook," Gilgeous-Alexander said matter-of-factly Thursday. "We don't have the same game, the same body type, nothing like that. So I'm going to try to be myself, the best me, and everything else will take care of itself."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27441752/not-filling-westbrook-shoes

Kind of surprising we have had 2 non Royce articles on espn in the last week or so about Bazley and Shai.

Read on Twitter

Maybe Royce doesn't really have the contacts to facilitate interviews with those two subjects?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#566 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:34 pm

Read on Twitter
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,018

Post#567 » by Dadouv47 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 9:45 pm

so many bigs...maybe Adams will be out before we thought
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#568 » by jambalaya » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:09 pm

Moreland is a good rebounder / defender. Especially strong on defensive rebounds. Can't make 3s or free throws and had huge turnover issues previously. Overall RPM had him as neutral in 2017-18 when he played rotation minutes for Pistons. Some passing. Decent ts% on low usage. People might not guard him very seriously. Negative ORPM impact estimate offsets DRPM.

Training camp invite is usually meaningless but he might stick if Gallinari or Adams gets traded early or is intended to be traded somewhat later.

Somebody is getting traded (not sure when / if he can be traded without permission). Trying to get out of luxury tax would seem like the biggest goal of the season. Unless he is part of a bigger plan to get out of luxury tax, then his signing is probably short-lived.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#569 » by Dadouv47 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:48 am

jambalaya wrote:Moreland is a good rebounder / defender. Especially strong on defensive rebounds. Can't make 3s or free throws and had huge turnover issues previously. Overall RPM had him as neutral in 2017-18 when he played rotation minutes for Pistons. Some passing. Decent ts% on low usage. People might not guard him very seriously. Negative ORPM impact estimate offsets DRPM.

Training camp invite is usually meaningless but he might stick if Gallinari or Adams gets traded early or is intended to be traded somewhat later.

Somebody is getting traded (not sure when / if he can be traded without permission). Trying to get out of luxury tax would seem like the biggest goal of the season. Unless he is part of a bigger plan to get out of luxury tax, then his signing is probably short-lived.

Hell no. That's not an issue anymore. Biggest goals are to develop SGA and trade Gallo for a late first (then we can dream about finding something good for CP3 and hoping one of our other young guys develop well)
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#570 » by thor19 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:13 am

In this trade okc send 2 of our worst first round pick to the wiz, we get out of cp3 and schroder , (we can change dion for olynik ) http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y3f7pg6t
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#571 » by ThunderBolt » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:40 am

thor19 wrote:In this trade okc send 2 of our worst first round pick to the wiz, we get out of cp3 and schroder , (we can change dion for olynik ) http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y3f7pg6t

I don't see the point. I might be willing to let one pick go to dump CP3 at some point but that's it. The only guys we need to worry about keeping happy are guys on rookie contracts, specifically Shai. I'm understanding of players not wanting to be a part of a rebuilding team but if they start causing major problems then send them the way of Joakim Noah.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#572 » by spearsy23 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:43 am

thor19 wrote:In this trade okc send 2 of our worst first round pick to the wiz, we get out of cp3 and schroder , (we can change dion for olynik ) http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y3f7pg6t

No thanks. We're not doing the heat favors just for fun, and paying the Beal price for them.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#573 » by jambalaya » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:06 am

Who bids for Gallo? Thunder have said very close to nothing about him and Gallo has said nothing to my knowledge about Thunder, instead talking about next summer free agency.

Clippers might want him back, if allowed. Heat, possibly Blazers, Raptors, possibly Jazz.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,487

Post#574 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:15 am

jambalaya wrote:Who bids for Gallo? Thunder have said very close to nothing about him and Gallo has said nothing to my knowledge about Thunder, instead talking about next summer free agency.

Portland is the obvious one. Minny, Detroit, Miami, Spurs, Clippers, Kings, NOLA and Dallas also should be in the mix. Denver, Milwaukee and Toronto could be interested. Basically any playoff team would have interest in him. It is just a matter of waiting for the offer Presti wants.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#575 » by jambalaya » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:24 am

Personally, I don't think Spurs, Kings, NOLA or Dallas bid, except perhaps for offering a lot of junk. Denver, might if they play him at 3 and play less of their existing perimeter set which they seem to love (too much). Don't see Milwaukee bidding.

What do people think of trading Paul, Roberson, Gallinari for Dragic, Waiters, Johnson, Olynyk and Leonard and perhaps some draft consideration (about $70 mil in salary both ways)? Or even add more players like Noel and Ferguson (etc.) for other young players and / or picks. Really renew. Mainly about getting out of Paul contract.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,487

Post#576 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Sep 3, 2019 1:48 am

jambalaya wrote:What do people think of trading Paul, Roberson, Gallinari for Dragic, Waiters, Johnson, Olynyk and Leonard and perhaps some draft consideration (about $70 mil in salary both ways)? Or even add more players like Noel and Ferguson (etc.) for other young players and / or picks. Really renew. Mainly about getting out of Paul contract.

What young players and picks do you think Miami has that would make any sense for that? Why are people worried about CP3's contract? He is still a top 5 PG when healthy!!!! Houston won over 62% of their games when he played!!! When he played without Harden he put up huge numbers. It won't take long for teams that want to contend waking up and coming after CP3 and making real offers. The only problem with having CP3 on the team is he will be adding wins until he is traded.

The Russ for CP3 and picks trade is probably the biggest theft of Presti's GM career. CP3 is a vastly superior player at this point, owed less money, and Houston threw in a lot of picks. The only down side is the picks are top 4 protected and could turn into 2nd round picks.

Gallinari alone with worth a late 1st, which is all the value Miami would have to move in that trade. Herro isn't worth any more than a lottery protected first from Portland. Miami can't trade a first until 2028 and I don't believe those picks are unlocked to be traded yet. So Miami has nothing of real value to part with. I don't think Presti values Herro much or he probably already would have pulled the trigger on a Miami trade where he got them to help Miami push to be a fringe playoff team on Jimmy Butler's timeline.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#577 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:15 am

Is there any realistic way to get Paul to the lakers with a third team? They are the team that makes the most sense to me.
thor19
Junior
And1: 65

Post#578 » by thor19 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:46 pm

Well you need a third team so we can get something and the lakers send rondo, cp3+ rondo is a big locker room fight, dont think we can get kuzma and I feel kuzma will leave okc when he get to free agent
jambalaya
Sixth Man

Post#579 » by jambalaya » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:08 pm

Paul's contract won't lead to competing for a title for OKC in next 3 years and it delays other moves to start back to that level.

Are they 3 or 5 years away from getting to or out of first round? Could be even longer.

I might take a good 2nd or 2 seconds for Ferguson or Noel. Or young Heat players that might take? Mostly Jones. Probably can't get Okpala. Just mentioning "might" be something there.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#580 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:01 am

jambalaya wrote:Paul's contract won't lead to competing for a title for OKC in next 3 years and it delays other moves to start back to that level.

Are they 3 or 5 years away from getting to or out of first round? Could be even longer.

I might take a good 2nd or 2 seconds for Ferguson or Noel. Or young Heat players that might take? Mostly Jones. Probably can't get Okpala. Just mentioning "might" be something there.

Good. The goal is to suck for the next 2-3 years. We couldn't attract good free agents when we were contending with Durant/Westbrook/Ibaka. We would have to massively overpay now for good players to sign here. Why would we do it now? Don't get how CP3's contract is bad for our roster construction. Gallo is gone soon, Roberson is an expiring and probably Adams or Schroeder will get traded.
We could take a short cut in 2-3 years by trading some picks but we need at least some years of full rebuild (until 2022 is the best because our 2022 first pick is top 14 protected)

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder