LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,537

LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#1 » by bisme37 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:32 pm

LeBron James files trademark request for 'Taco Tuesday'

LeBron James loves tacos and Tuesdays — so it is not that surprising that the Los Angeles Lakers star and entrepreneur is looking to literally cash in on the phrase “Taco Tuesday.”

According to lawyer Josh Gerben, a company owned by James called LBJ Trademarks filed for a trademark for “Taco Tuesday” on Aug. 15. According to the trademark application, James wants to trademark the phrase for “advertising and marketing services” through “indirect methods” that include social media and blogging.

James has regularly posted videos of himself enjoying tacos each Tuesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/le-bron-james-files-trademark-request-for-taco-tuesday-155956006.html

Please commence making fun of this man.
Calamity_Cometh
Sixth Man
And1: 2,109

Re: LeBron James files trademark request for "Taco Tuesday" 

Post#2 » by Calamity_Cometh » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:34 pm

You'd think that one of the hundreds of taco joints and their executives would have picked up on the meme and locked it up.
lakerz12
Head Coach
And1: 8,899

Post#3 » by lakerz12 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:35 pm

Good for him.

I would be surprised if restaurants like Rubio's hadn't already trademarked "Taco Tuesday" for anything food marketing related.

Though maybe LeBron can still Trademark it for the different categories you mentioned.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,722

Post#4 » by Nate505 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:35 pm

I think Taco Johns owns it (a Wyoming based chain), and even they have had issues protecting it with how ubiquitous it is.
BillTheGOAT
Starter
And1: 1,930

Post#5 » by BillTheGOAT » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:36 pm

I hope he dies buried in money. Greedy bastard.
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#6 » by lakerz12 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:40 pm

Calamity_Cometh wrote:You'd think that one of the hundreds of taco joints and their executives would have picked up on the meme and locked it up.

Picked up on the meme? It's not like LeBron invented "Taco Tuesday". Restaurants have been using that phrase for years.

Here's one example: https://www.rubios.com/menu/weekly-deals/taco-tuesday

They probably just didn't Trademark the phrase because this Trademark already exists or for other reasons (because it's not that important to them or the use of the phrase is already too widespread to trademark for restaurant services):

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4808:6hnxv8.2.22
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#7 » by Imon » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:41 pm

LMAO.
There's a chain of Tex-Mex restaurants here in Texas (Rosa's Cafe) that sells Taco plates at a discount on Tuesdays and calls it "Taco Tuesday"
They've been doing it for many years. I always thought the phrase was a common saying among lovers of Tex-Mex food since I can't remember the first time I heard it but it's been around awhile.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#8 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:45 pm

I feel like every Mexican place has some type of Taco Tuesday advertisement. Tijuana Flats used to be my spot in college every Tuesday.

Twitter said some restaurant trademarked it 1989.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
jumpinmp
Junior
And1: 285

Post#9 » by jumpinmp » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:48 pm

He's morphing into a corporation. What a bummer. This kind of move is such a shameless money grab.
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#10 » by INKtastic » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:52 pm

We own a t-shirt company, this nonsense has to stop. You aren't supposed to be able to trademark things people already use in commerce, but sometimes the USPTO has an idiot reviewing them who lets them through. The other day a trademark for "dogs" on apparel was approved, so now all apparel that has the word dogs in it, or in the title, or in the description, can get flagged as trademark violations on all of the marketplaces we sell on, even though we, along with everyone else, has plenty of prior art. This kind of nonsense is really the biggest headache in running our business.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,618

Post#11 » by infinite11285 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:52 pm

BillTheGOAT wrote:I hope he dies buried in money. Greedy bastard.

Sounds like a good way to go out, to me.
Sark
RealGM
And1: 16,044

Post#12 » by Sark » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:53 pm

I really like Friday, so I think I'll go trademark "Good Friday".
jwood255
Bench Warmer
And1: 267

Post#13 » by jwood255 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:54 pm

I'm trademarking the name Lebron and he has to pay me just for existing.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,227

Post#14 » by Tracymcgoaty » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Burrito Friday! Im owning that one and duel anyone to protect it.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM

Post#15 » by Tracymcgoaty » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:57 pm

infinite11285 wrote:
BillTheGOAT wrote:I hope he dies buried in money. Greedy bastard.

Sounds like a good way to go out, to me.

Money smells funny tho..Much rather be buried in a mountain of donuts.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
lakerz12
Head Coach

Post#16 » by lakerz12 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:58 pm

INKtastic wrote:I own a t-shirt company, this nonsense has to stop. You aren't supposed to be able to trademark things people already use, but sometimes the USPTO has an idiot reviewing them who lets them through. The other day a trademark for "dogs" on apparel was approved, so now all apparel that has the word dogs in it, or in the title, or in the description, can get flagged as trademark violations on all of the marketplaces we sell on, even though we, along with everyone else, has plenty of prior art. This kind of nonsense is really the biggest headache in running our business.

You can if you're using it in a totally different category (e.g. clothing vs. oil/gas) and it meets the other qualifications.

However if you mean you aren't supposed to be able to Trademark things that aren't distinct and unique, agreed.

And "Taco Tuesday" and "Dogs" should probably not qualify as unique.

The USPTO does let through Trademarks and Patents that aren't really valid. However, it is still up to those owners to defend the Trademark or Patent.

The owner of the "dogs" trademark would almost assuredly not be able to successfully defend their Trademark. I agree with you it is lame that is even granted or given any sort of credence.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM

Post#17 » by Tracymcgoaty » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:01 pm

''Erectile Dysfunction Thursdays''
Raul
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,554

Post#18 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:01 pm

I'm still not understanding why this Lebron taco thing is a popular thing. Maybe I'm weird but I find these clips to be among the corniest things I have ever seen in sports. His dumb expressions and high pitched voice. It reminds me of Dwight Howard's humor years ago where it was just SO corny and adolescent that I didn't understand how ANY adult found it entertaining or funny. I mean I suppose it's great that he's having lighthearted fun with his kids, I just don't see what makes it funny or trendy.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#19 » by clyde21 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:05 pm

nothing more American than greed, i respek
taikibansei
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,636

Post#20 » by taikibansei » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:06 pm

Hopefully, the court rules on my trademark request first. I've filed for "Have a nice day," and once I win...man, I'm going after everybody retroactively for fees and other penalties. :rock:
THIN MAN HAS NO HEART!

Return to The General Board