ImageImageImageImage

Chuma Okeke drafted #16 by the Orlando Magic

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Re: Chuma Okeke drafted #16 by the Orlando Magic 

Post#941 » by drsd » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:23 pm

GimmeDat wrote:Okeke could presumably be stashed on a team here for a year, rehab and once healthy play, then join you guys next season.

As stated above the Magic must tender a contract. Okeke has the control to sign it, or not. But if Orlando does not offer at least 80% on two years, his draft right would be lost.

Many here think Orlando should offer 80% on year 1 and 120% on year-2.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,110

Post#942 » by tiderulz » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:59 pm

seems like this could cause a lot of acrimony with future players, current players, free agents. the front office better be careful how they handle this.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#943 » by j-ragg » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:07 pm

Drafting a 2nd rounder with your 1st rounder and then not signing him because of his injury from 6 months ago

#4Dchess
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,629

Post#944 » by SOUL » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:32 pm

tiderulz wrote:seems like this could cause a lot of acrimony with future players, current players, free agents. the front office better be careful how they handle this.

What draws you to this conclusion?
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#945 » by tiderulz » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:11 am

SOUL wrote:
tiderulz wrote:seems like this could cause a lot of acrimony with future players, current players, free agents. the front office better be careful how they handle this.

What draws you to this conclusion?

agents will wonder why this is being drawn out. Are they lowballing the player? are they trying to force the player to take less money? I dont remember Blake or Embiid taking less money when they knew they wouldnt play a single game their "rookie" year.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#946 » by tiderulz » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:11 am

j-ragg wrote:Drafting a 2nd rounder with your 1st rounder and then not signing him because of his injury from 6 months ago

#4Dchess

ehh, im not sure he would have made it to the 2nd round. some smart team would have used a late 1st on him i bet.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,451

Post#947 » by Bensational » Sun Sep 1, 2019 1:10 am

Imagine if we'd just drafted NAW...
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,978

Post#948 » by MagicMatic » Sun Sep 1, 2019 5:20 am

Bensational wrote:Imagine if we'd just drafted NAW...

Nah. That would have made too much sense. This FO likes making long-long term investments (that may not even pay off) while selling short term success.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,298

Post#949 » by pepe1991 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 2:01 pm

so it's kind a clear that Okeke won't play for Orlando Magic this year .
Makes decision to pass on NAW even worst.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#950 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 3:00 pm

He'd be sitting on the bench all season probably behind Fournier, Ross and maybe even Fultz. Due to the continuity that they were hoping for over the summer.... they now have 30 million invested in the sg position ahead of him. Yes... there is definitely a chance that he could outplay both and be a huge steal.... but that can be hard to determine especially since other players have looked amazing in SL as well.... just to be decent or worse on the NBA court.

Based on the STAT tracking company that everyone was happy that we were apart of... Chuma is a gem at 16.... soooooooo.... yeah. It's not like they blindly made the decision without a plan. Like they are doing with everyone else.... let them take their time and more to get healthy. watching cousin's go down again and again.... and shoot even durant.... makes you realize... ain't no need to rush. :-/
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#951 » by pepe1991 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 3:37 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:

He'd be sitting on the bench all season probably behind Fournier, Ross and maybe even Fultz. Due to the continuity that they were hoping for over the summer.... they now have 30 million invested in the sg position ahead of him. Yes... there is definitely a chance that he could outplay both and be a huge steal.... but that can be hard to determine especially since other players have looked amazing in SL as well.... just to be decent or worse on the NBA court.

Based on the STAT tracking company that everyone was happy that we were apart of... Chuma is a gem at 16.... soooooooo.... yeah. It's not like they blindly made the decision without a plan. Like they are doing with everyone else.... let them take their time and more to get healthy. watching cousin's go down again and again.... and shoot even durant.... makes you realize... ain't no need to rush. :-/

Instad we have Chuma who will not play whole season and when he returns he will in rotation behind Isaac, Aminu and Gordon and also never play
Chuma was projeceted to be second round pick, you can twist facts all you want, nothing will change it.
How avoid injury? Simple, don't draft player that has one. Especially when that player is reach AND plays position you don't need AND won't play for whole calendar year.
They drafted Jackson in second round last year and dropped him after 5 months. Iwundu and Frazier are doing also nothing.

NAW would have more than enough time to get some PT, and getting 1 minute whole season will still be 1 min more than Chuma will.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#952 » by j-ragg » Sun Sep 1, 2019 3:50 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:

So instead of a rookie who could fill a need (guard of the future who can create) sitting some of this year, we'll have another rookie who isn't really ours sit all year and not fill a need (3+D backup big man). A lot of people thought NAW would be a pg in the league too.

Not trying to come at you, I see the glass half full in a lot of things. But not this brain trust. So I guess that eliminates the whole "just trust it because they're GMs and not you" type of thinking for me.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
pepe1991
RealGM

Post#953 » by pepe1991 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 4:31 pm

The thing about Chuma is that if they really REALLY liked him so much, they could just trade down or get additional late first round or second round pick, where they would still have him aveliable. Again, not a single mock had him going anywhere near top 20
Look players drafted after 16# pick

17# pick- trade
20# pick- trade
21# pick -trade
23# pick -trade
24# pick- trade
26# pick -trade
30# pick -trade

31,33,34,35 and 36 picks were all traded

Real question is what a hell is going on with his contract. Question nobody from media has guts to ask.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,978

Post#954 » by MagicMatic » Sun Sep 1, 2019 5:04 pm

j-ragg wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

So instead of a rookie who could fill a need (guard of the future who can create) sitting some of this year, we'll have another rookie who isn't really ours sit all year and not fill a need (3+D backup big man). A lot of people thought NAW would be a pg in the league too.

Not trying to come at you, I see the glass half full in a lot of things. But not this brain trust. So I guess that eliminates the whole "just trust it because they're GMs and not you" type of thinking for me.

Yep. Not only this, but if Fultz doesn’t pan out THIS season they will look foolish for passing on NAW. Why? Because DJ/MCW isn’t a passable point guard rotation for what the FO is selling as a “playoff team”. There was no backup plan. Evan and Ross can both switch to SF situationally, but neither can play pg. That’s why the argument of a “stacked SG rotation” doesn’t hold water. Chuma could end up being great in the long run for all we know, but you can’t unequivocally say that NAW wasn’t going to be an immediate contributor to a playoff team that needs playmaking and had a similar trajectory at his pick.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,380

Post#955 » by PrimeThyme » Sun Sep 1, 2019 5:06 pm

I still feel the same way I did on draft night, this team will regret passing on NAW. He checked every single box. Not only was Chuma a reach at 16 but he didn't fill a need and didn't present any more upside then NAW did at that spot imo.

Outside of Isaac, I've been very underwhelmed with their drafting as a whole though so it didn't come as a surprise to be disappointed with this one as well. Bamba in a vacuum was a good pick, but their roster construction and handling of him since he was drafted just makes me scratch my head.

If Fultz pans out I still think they could build a potential contender with this core, but it won't be because of how theyve drafted since they've been here.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,092

Post#956 » by yoyojw17 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 5:18 pm

j-ragg wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:

I was totally expecting either NAW or Porter Jr. names to be called and it didn't happen. There are definitely a few things that do blind side me.... but i am not in the circle of "in the know". But I guess i can see where this train is going and for some reason i can see a lot of the current skeptics having to change their minds when some of the things start falling into place and the vision that they foresaw comes to fruition. There are tons of what ifs on this team and that list of what ifs makes it hard for us who are fans and have been through dark times find something solid to hold on to. i guess we will see this season as players take their steps forward.... hopefully jumps from some of them. We will see.... and hopefully as things begin to pan out.... we do get those things that we can hold on to
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,451

Post#957 » by Bensational » Mon Sep 2, 2019 12:51 am

yoyojw17 wrote:

I'm hopeful for Chuma, but whatever is currently playing out wouldn't have been an issue with NAW. Both players would have been stuck behind depth for now. But Aminu was just added to the front court depth, whereas Fournier could be a FA at the end of this season if he opts out.

If we want to credit the strategy of using those special college stats, then we should also be free to criticize the strategy of drafting a player they thought they could redshirt for a year who doesn't seem to want that - and then signing added depth in front of him which may have added to his reluctance to accept their offers so far.

But hey, at least this minor Chuma 'drama' is giving us something to talk about in a sleepy offseason.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#958 » by ezzzp » Mon Sep 2, 2019 2:41 am

pepe1991 wrote:so it's kind a clear that Okeke won't play for Orlando Magic this year .

Why? If they thought Okeke was the BPA, it absolutely makes sense.

NAW doesn't fill a Magic need. He isn't a PG and he's not beating out Fournier or Ross for minutes...AND he would have had to battle Iwundu, Frazier and also DaQuan Jeffries for wing minutes.
ezzzp
Head Coach
And1: 3,462

Post#959 » by ezzzp » Mon Sep 2, 2019 3:14 am

pepe1991 wrote:
Instad we have Chuma who will not play whole season and when he returns he will in rotation behind Isaac, Aminu and Gordon and also never play
Chuma was projeceted to be second round pick, you can twist facts all you want, nothing will change it.
How avoid injury? Simple, don't draft player that has one. Especially when that player is reach AND plays position you don't need AND won't play for whole calendar year.
They drafted Jackson in second round last year and dropped him after 5 months. Iwundu and Frazier are doing also nothing.

NAW would have more than enough time to get some PT, and getting 1 minute whole season will still be 1 min more than Chuma will.

The Stepien had him ranked 17th

Mike Schmitz (ESPN/DraftExpress): "Chuma Okeke has a chance to be the steal of the draft here. If he didn't go down with that ACL injury, I think we're talking about him as a surefire lottery pick. Seven-foot wingspan. Defends multiple positions. Can space the floor offensively. Has a strong feel for the game. He was really the glue that held that Auburn team together. He's unselfish, he moves the ball, he knows his role. In today's NBA, he's the guy you want. He's the prototype. This is a huge win for the Orlando Magic, even if he has to sit out."

NAW would be buried behind Ross and Fournier + battling for whatever minutes are left with Iwundu, Jeffries and Frazier.

In Summer League, NAW was just gifted high volume to puff stats with team desperate for hype...he was super inefficient and was total garbage defender. Frank Jackson on that same squad put up 30 pts.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#960 » by tiderulz » Mon Sep 2, 2019 4:32 am

ezzzp wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:so it's kind a clear that Okeke won't play for Orlando Magic this year .

Why? If they thought Okeke was the BPA, it absolutely makes sense.

NAW doesn't fill a Magic need. He isn't a PG and he's not beating out Fournier or Ross for minutes...AND he would have had to battle Iwundu, Frazier and also DaQuan Jeffries for wing minutes.

how do you know exactly what NAW does? he could play SG/SF as a passer/creator and is a good defender. he could also fill in as an emergency PG. we have no idea what he could become. and i think he could beat out Iwundu and Frazier

Return to Orlando Magic