Image ImageImage Image

Lauri to get more time at C

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Lauri to get more time at C 

Post#1 » by Chi town » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:16 pm

bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 3,873

Re: Lauri to get more time at C 

Post#2 » by bledredwine » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:19 pm

I miss the era of defensive rebounding bigs with post games.

It’s almost like there’s no point in the regular season to have one.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#3 » by AKfanatic » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:46 pm

On Lauri....

Lauri Markkanen: How much center will he play, and with which “big” will he fit best?

Unofficial positional tracking by basketball-reference.com estimates Markkanen played 23 percent of his minutes at center in each of the past two seasons. Lineup data by NBA.com, however, shows Markkanen played a smaller percentage than that.

According to league stats, including time he shared the court with Bobby Portis (who could have been designated as the center in some of those lineups), Markkanen amassed 257 minutes at center during the 2018-19 season. That’s only 15 percent of his 1,682 total minutes from last season. The Bulls want to boost Markkanen’s minutes at center this season.

There’s a fair question regarding how prepared Markkanen is to defend bigger, stronger centers. But a better question might be how prepared are they to defend him? Markkanen could thrive offensively by moving down a position and becoming a matchup nightmare for bigger, slower centers who’d be forced to try to keep up on the perimeter.

What impact that has on team performance remains unknown. The Bulls’ most-used lineup with Markkanen at center included Portis, Hutchison, LaVine and Dunn. And it was a disaster. That lineup played 57 minutes together over seven games and mustered a -17.4 net rating, while shooting 38.6 percent. The next-highest sample, totaling 24 minutes over 10 games, featured Markkanen with Porter, Wayne Selden Jr., LaVine and Dunn — and it was even worse, with a -25.2 net rating.

Sliding Markkanen down more frequently also would set off a series of subsequent questions: What happens to Carter’s minutes? Where does that leave Gafford and Kornet? Who fits better alongside Markkanen as the center, the sharpshooting Porter or the versatile Thaddeus Young?

Those questions and more might make Markkanen’s anticipated minutes at his secondary position the most compelling component to this Bulls season. And if Markkanen begins to master those minutes, he could be the key to the Bulls making something of this season.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,214

Post#4 » by coldfish » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:50 pm

Been saying this a good thing for a while. He has a mismatch at center on offense and beyond that, he pulls opposing centers out of the lane which makes life easier for his teammates.

Him defending the post is no big deal. That's what help D is for. If the Bulls lull opposing teams into trying to post up Lauri all game long, they have won. The issue is Lauri's help D. He needs to get a lot better at it.
AKfanatic
RealGM

Post#5 » by AKfanatic » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:50 pm

Tomas Satoransky: Is he ready to be a full-time starter?

Avid readers of The Athletic know I’ve penciled in Satoransky as the opening-night starter. It just makes sense.

The Bulls brought him in on a three-year, $30 million contract. He has great positional size at 6-foot-7. He can move off the ball and play shooting guard. And he’s a 40-percent 3-point shooter for his career. Even when the money isn’t factored in, Satoransky, at least on paper, appears to simply be a better fit than Dunn as the starter.

But is he ready?

This is the opportunity Satoransky has been waiting for. What will he do with it?

Satoransky quietly has been effective as a starter over his three-year career. In 87 career starts, he’s averaged 10.4 points, 4.3 rebounds and six assists in 31.8 minutes. His shooting splits as a starter: 49.6/43.0/82.8. Washington’s net rating with Satoransky as a starter: +7.0.

Everything about Satoransky looks good. We’ll see how he looks in October.

Coby White: How quickly can he acclimate?

Talented as he may be, White always was viewed as more of a project than a ready-made piece. That evaluation gained steam after the seventh overall pick’s bumpy showing at Summer League.

White appeared comfortable within himself and with his surroundings in his first NBA setting, but he struggled mightily with his shot, had difficulty getting by defenders and was erratic finishing at the rim. Those things were hiccups more than red flags.

Those flaws shined an uncomfortable light on White, raising questions about how soon he’ll be able to successfully run an NBA team. The Bulls love how White pushes the pace. His speed, vision in the open court and precision as a passer on the break are all things to look forward to this season. It’s clear, though, that White has a steep learning curve ahead of him.

It’d be a shock if White won the starting job in training camp. But he just might develop rapidly enough to overtake the competition midseason.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#6 » by PaKii94 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 9:28 pm

coldfish wrote:Been saying this a good thing for a while. He has a mismatch at center on offense and beyond that, he pulls opposing centers out of the lane which makes life easier for his teammates.

Him defending the post is no big deal. That's what help D is for. If the Bulls lull opposing teams into trying to post up Lauri all game long, they have won. The issue is Lauri's help D. He needs to get a lot better at it.

I think Lauri at small spurts could play C next to young. Whoever is opposite to him has to be a semi strong defender at least
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,568

Post#7 » by Repeat 3-peat » Mon Sep 2, 2019 9:33 pm

AKfanatic wrote:
Coby White: How quickly can he acclimate?

Talented as he may be, White always was viewed as more of a project than a ready-made piece. That evaluation gained steam after the seventh overall pick’s bumpy showing at Summer League.

White appeared comfortable within himself and with his surroundings in his first NBA setting, but he struggled mightily with his shot, had difficulty getting by defenders and was erratic finishing at the rim. Those things were hiccups more than red flags.

Those flaws shined an uncomfortable light on White, raising questions about how soon he’ll be able to successfully run an NBA team. The Bulls love how White pushes the pace. His speed, vision in the open court and precision as a passer on the break are all things to look forward to this season. It’s clear, though, that White has a steep learning curve ahead of him.

It’d be a shock if White won the starting job in training camp. But he just might develop rapidly enough to overtake the competition midseason.

Good stuff.

With the questions about White, I wonder if this helps Dunn's case of sticking on the roster? I tend to believe so if the plan is to give the team the best chance to win games.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,707

Post#8 » by dougthonus » Mon Sep 2, 2019 9:40 pm

coldfish wrote:Been saying this a good thing for a while. He has a mismatch at center on offense and beyond that, he pulls opposing centers out of the lane which makes life easier for his teammates.

I generally agree, but I'd add only add that Lauri taking the physical pounding playing center probably isn't good for his health or long term availability even if it is efficient on a game by game / match up by match up basis.

There's a reason Anthony Davis doesn't want to play center regularly, and he's probably a lot more physically fit to do it than Lauri.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,334

Post#9 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Mon Sep 2, 2019 9:47 pm

Something to tinker with to see what we have in that scenario I’m ok with.

As an example if a team goes small against us I think Lauri at the 5 could be interesting.

Not crazy about him guarding the leagues behemoths but maybe it’s not about that.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#10 » by kingkirk » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:08 am

I'm not opposed to it depending on the match up, but if the idea is to shift Lauri to center at full time at some point to exploit the potential offensive benefits, it will be a huge problem defensively.

Rim protection and rebounding will be non-existent.

We're about to find out how important Robin Lopez was to this team.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,983

Post#11 » by Chi town » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:12 am

What he’d say about Dunn?

I think he will be our backup PG and be interchangeable w White.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,641

Post#12 » by sco » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:30 am

Lauri plays like a big guard. Just because he's tall, doesn't mean he should play in the paint.

This nonsense is gonna bite the Bulls in the a$$.

I know they need scoring with the second unit and see Lauri next to Young for stretches, but IMO, it will do real harm to Lauri and his game. Real harm. Really.
:clap:
AKfanatic
RealGM

Post#13 » by AKfanatic » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:40 am

Chi town wrote:What he’d say about Dunn?

I think he will be our backup PG and be interchangeable w White.

Kris Dunn: Has he played his final game in a Bulls uniform?

Dunn’s strange situation has been well-documented here. The moves that were made this offseason suggest the Bulls have turned the page on the fourth-year point guard, even as team officials claim they haven’t.

An offseason that began with a stated desire to improve the competition at the position turned into the Bulls picking a point guard seventh overall in the draft, splurging on another with a $10 million annual salary and inking yet another to a three-year deal. No one argued with those moves. At the same time, no one can argue they made sense for Dunn’s long-term future. Because they don’t.

The Bulls have committed a most precious resource (a top-10 pick), two other valuable roster spots and significant salary to upgrade the point guard position. You don’t take on all of that if the incumbent is your guy. And if Dunn isn’t done in Chicago, the Bulls now have a helluva situation on their hands trying to make it work. A logjam for which there is no easy solution has formed. The Bulls have about a month to figure it out.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#14 » by johnnyvann840 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 1:48 am

sco wrote:Lauri plays like a big guard. Just because he's tall, doesn't mean he should play in the paint.

This nonsense is gonna bite the Bulls in the a$$.

I know they need scoring with the second unit and see Lauri next to Young for stretches, but IMO, it will do real harm to Lauri and his game. Real harm. Really.

I agree. It's a bad move.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#15 » by drosereturn » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:31 am

This is the exact reason I want Lauri as full time center but then we would have to get rid of WCJ which I dont mind.
IMO, Thad Young is the perfect small ball PF next to Lauri but the problem is he is getting washed up.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#16 » by drosereturn » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:37 am

Mark K wrote:

I'm not opposed to it depending on the match up, but if the idea is to shift Lauri to center at full time at some point to exploit the potential offensive benefits, it will be a huge problem defensively.

Rim protection isnt mandatory in the NBA. Worst case, you can sign McGees and we already have some in Gafford.
Lopez was a terrible player dont miss him one bit. Lauri has to improve help defense but it is doable.
Sato-Lavine-Porter-Young-Lauri should be the starting lineup since they provide shooting, length, athleticism, etc.
Bench of Arci-White-Val-Gafford-Carter should be decent as the lineup features two lottery talents and one was a starter.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#17 » by ArtMorte » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:01 am

I don't think Lauri is a C, but the positions are loose anyway. If he, for example, plays like Horford did at Boston it could be just fine.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,214

Post#18 » by coldfish » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:07 am

Mark K wrote:

I wouldn't go that far with it. Wendell is going to play 32 minutes or so at center. I would play Lauri another 10 minutes at center next to Thad (who is a good help guy) and finish with Kornett.

Example units (4/5):
1) Lauri / Wendell 22 minutes
2) Thad / Lauri 10 minutes
3) Thad / Wendell 10 minutes
4) Thad / Kornett 6 minutes

Totals
Lauri 32
Wendell 32
Thad 26
Kornett 6

While I think you are right that Lopez was underrated last year, he wasn't as mobile as Wendell is. As long as WCJ can stay out of foul trouble, I think that switching to him from Lopez is going to help the defense.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by kingkirk » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:56 am

coldfish wrote:I wouldn't go that far with it. Wendell is going to play 32 minutes or so at center. I would play Lauri another 10 minutes at center next to Thad (who is a good help guy) and finish with Kornett.

Example units (4/5):
1) Lauri / Wendell 22 minutes
2) Thad / Lauri 10 minutes
3) Thad / Wendell 10 minutes
4) Thad / Kornett 6 minutes

Totals
Lauri 32
Wendell 32
Thad 26
Kornett 6

While I think you are right that Lopez was underrated last year, he wasn't as mobile as Wendell is. As long as WCJ can stay out of foul trouble, I think that switching to him from Lopez is going to help the defense.

I can get behind what you've outlined because it's not too onerous on Markkanen. Fundamentally, though, I just think Markkanen is a 4 with some versatility, but nothing beyond that. Also, I don't the need to push the center position to even smaller levels is a trend that will continue at the same velocity as recent years. That belief is why I think the Markkanen-Carter pairing is sustainable for the long haul.

All that said, I do think it's important to remember Markkanen having the luxury of playing with such a selfless center (Lopez) over the years is something that gets underrated. I do often wonder how impactful his first two season may have been had the Bulls gone with an inexperienced center rotation during the initial stages of Markkanen's development.

Carter will have Markkanen's back, I'm sure, but behind him, there isn't much, so in those when Carter isn't there and Young may be off the floor, I think Markkanen is at risk of being exposed.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by kingkirk » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:57 am

Showtime23 wrote:Rim protection isnt mandatory in the NBA. Worst case, you can sign McGees and we already have some in Gafford.
Lopez was a terrible player dont miss him one bit. Lauri has to improve help defense but it is doable.
Sato-Lavine-Porter-Young-Lauri should be the starting lineup since they provide shooting, length, athleticism, etc.
Bench of Arci-White-Val-Gafford-Carter should be decent as the lineup features two lottery talents and one was a starter.

Rim protection may not be mandatory, but being a good team requires it. That's not really debatable.

As for Lopez being a terrible player, I mean, you're wrong, but fine.

Return to Chicago Bulls