ImageImageImageImageImage

Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year?

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

GED Education
General Manager
And1: 9,872

Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year? 

Post#1 » by GED Education » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:42 am

At first I think it's a no brainer as there really hasn't been anything to rival the championship.

However....

If Bianca Andreescu wins the US Open, I think that's the story of the year. This was debated today on sports radio. What are your thoughts on that?
gp2015
RealGM
And1: 10,120

Re: Raptors a lock for Canadian sports story of the year? 

Post#2 » by gp2015 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:52 am

Winning the NBA championship is bigger than one person winning a tennis major IMO.

Bianca has the potential to win multiple majors in her career and there are 4 opportunities/per year to win one.
"I'm doing what I love to do. So if I can never walk again because of what I love to do, that's a chance I'll take. I'll die on the court." - Alvin Williams
raptor jesus
RealGM
And1: 22,002

Post#3 » by raptor jesus » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:59 am

1. World Jrs team gets off bus wearing suits
2. Someone does 360 in Pinty's Curling Skins Game
14. Toronto Raptors win NBA title
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Post#4 » by XxIronChainzxX » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:12 am

gp2015 wrote:Winning the NBA championship is bigger than one person winning a tennis major IMO.

Bianca has the potential to win multiple majors in her career and there are 4 opportunities/per year to win one.

It's debatable to be sure. She's a home grown Canadian athlete. Obviously the Raptors are a Canadian franchise and the NBA title is a legendary moment but I can see how others might disagree.
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#5 » by dagger » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:22 am

Canadian Press has a team of the year award, a male athlete of the year award, and a female athlete of the year award. The Raptors are team of the year without a doubt. Female athlete of the year is almost certainly Bianca. Mail athlete is tougher - could be Dennis Shapovalov, maybe pitcher Mike Soroka. That's a much tougher one. Then there is the Lou Marsh award for Canada's top athlete - this goes to an individual, amateur or professional, male or female.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#6 » by Metallikid » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:41 am

Raptors by a mile. No story in Golf or Tennis revolving around a single person could ever be as impactful as how many people needed to come together to achieve a NBA championship. Ten years from now the Canadians coming into the NBA are going to say it's because they watched Kyle, Kawhi and Pascal as kids.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,167

Post#7 » by niQ » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:59 am

It better be the Raptors. Kawhi's legendary shot against the 76ers pretty much ices it.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,642

Post#8 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:02 am

dagger wrote:Canadian Press has a team of the year award, a male athlete of the year award, and a female athlete of the year award. The Raptors are team of the year without a doubt. Female athlete of the year is almost certainly Bianca. Mail athlete is tougher - could be Dennis Shapovalov, maybe pitcher Mike Soroka. That's a much tougher one. Then there is the Lou Marsh award for Canada's top athlete - this goes to an individual, amateur or professional, male or female.

Both Aaron Brown and Felix Auger Aliassime are better candidates for Male Athlete.
Raptors are a lock for team of the year.
Bianca is a lock for female athlete of the year.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,642

Post#9 » by LoveMyRaps » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:07 am

Big time tennis fan but Raptors winning has to be a lock for Canadian sports story of the year.
Simply because it brought the entire nation together. No ones gonna celebrate Bianca winning a grand-slam like they celebrated the Raptors winning the LOB (i.e. the post-ECF/finals celebrations in DT and the parade).
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
duppyy
RealGM
And1: 13,101

Post#10 » by duppyy » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:42 am

LoveMyRaps wrote:Big time tennis fan but Raptors winning has to be a lock for Canadian sports story of the year.
Simply because it brought the entire nation together. No ones gonna celebrate Bianca winning a grand-slam like they celebrated the Raptors winning the LOB (i.e. the post-ECF/finals celebrations in DT and the parade).

This

People won’t be lining up to watch her matches outdoors like people did for raptors.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Post#11 » by OAKLEY_2 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:02 am

raptor jesus wrote:1. World Jrs team gets off bus wearing suits
2. Someone does 360 in Pinty's Curling Skins Game
14. Toronto Raptors win NBA title

3. Kyper and MacLean lose jobs...
14. Masai Ujiri throws haymaker at white Oakland cop who goes postal.
15. Raptors win first ever International NBA title.*
126. Kyle Lowry gets shoved and cussed by GSW part owner.

*Dynasty opponent was without Megasupahstah Kevin Durant except for one brief quarter of play where he manhandled the Champs giving U.S. media some faint hope they could follow their scripts and sell more Geico. It all came unglued when Durant ruptured his tendon followed by Klay Tompson's ACL tear and the media could then begin to hit the finals snooze button and talk free agent poaching on continuous hype cycle.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#12 » by mowcrowbar » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:12 am

gp2015 wrote:Winning the NBA championship is bigger than one person winning a tennis major IMO.

I suppose so, but no one important on the team is Canadian
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,705

Post#13 » by Quattro » Tue Sep 3, 2019 1:35 pm

GED Education wrote:At first I think it's a no brainer as there really hasn't been anything to rival the championship.

However....

If Bianca Andreescu wins the US Open, I think that's the story of the year. This was debated today on sports radio. What are your thoughts on that?

Tough call. Obviously I'd go with the Raptors but Canada has never had a major winner in tennis and this kid legit looks like she is going to dominate the women's game for years to come.
tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#14 » by tor1234567 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 1:37 pm

If we can get half the team to come out as gay, and Nurse to come out as trans... We're a shoe-in for the award!

P.S. I'm just messing around, lol (hold the outrage)
Mattd97
Head Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#15 » by Mattd97 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 1:42 pm

Quattro wrote:
GED Education wrote:At first I think it's a no brainer as there really hasn't been anything to rival the championship.

However....

Tough call. Obviously I'd go with the Raptors but Canada has never had a major winner in tennis and this kid legit looks like she is going to dominate the women's game for years to come.

Not really the way women's tennis usually works. Outside of serena no one has really dominated for lengthy periods. And let's not forget Bouchard reaching even higher highs (major wise anyways) before dropping off entirely

Also, as much as its annoying that hockey players win the lou marsh every year, you cant rightfully give the award to the 20th best tennis player in the world, or an all star pitcher despite their ages and impressive years when we have the best hockey players in the world. I get global game vs more regional, but unless you've got de grasse winning Olympic medals, Steve nash winning MVPs, gagne winning the cy young, it's just not likely to happen. You need to be fighting to be the best in the world, cause that's what the Crosby's and McDavids are doing
vergogna wrote:- game starts at 3.50
- nice passing at 4.15
- BARGS REBOUND at 4.47
- BARGS REBOUND (almost) at 6.23
tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#16 » by tor1234567 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 1:52 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:

It's debatable to be sure. She's a home grown Canadian athlete. Obviously the Raptors are a Canadian franchise and the NBA title is a legendary moment but I can see how others might disagree.

Who is Bianca Andreescu?

(said every Canadian ever)
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,448

Post#17 » by dagger » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:08 pm

Mattd97 wrote:
Quattro wrote:

However....

Not really the way women's tennis usually works. Outside of serena no one has really dominated for lengthy periods. And let's not forget Bouchard reaching even higher highs (major wise anyways) before dropping off entirely

Also, as much as its annoying that hockey players win the lou marsh every year, you cant rightfully give the award to the 20th best tennis player in the world, or an all star pitcher despite their ages and impressive years when we have the best hockey players in the world. I get global game vs more regional, but unless you've got de grasse winning Olympic medals, Steve nash winning MVPs, gagne winning the cy young, it's just not likely to happen. You need to be fighting to be the best in the world, cause that's what the Crosby's and McDavids are doing

Recent winners of the Lou Marsh trophy have included Mikael Kingsbury (last year) and Penny Olesiak. It isn't always a hockey player. The last hockey player to win it was Carey Price in 2015. Prior to that, the last hockey player to win was Crosby in 2009.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#18 » by YogiStewart » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:21 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
dagger wrote:Canadian Press has a team of the year award, a male athlete of the year award, and a female athlete of the year award. The Raptors are team of the year without a doubt. Female athlete of the year is almost certainly Bianca. Mail athlete is tougher - could be Dennis Shapovalov, maybe pitcher Mike Soroka. That's a much tougher one. Then there is the Lou Marsh award for Canada's top athlete - this goes to an individual, amateur or professional, male or female.

Both Aaron Brown and Felix Auger Aliassime are better candidates for Male Athlete.
Raptors are a lock for team of the year.
Bianca is a lock for female athlete of the year.

"After much consideration, we regretfully announce that the Toronto Raptors are Canada's team of the year. Runner up is the Toronto Maple Leafs."
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,384

Post#19 » by YogiStewart » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:29 pm

Mattd97 wrote:I get global game vs more regional, but unless you've got de grasse winning Olympic medals, Steve nash winning MVPs, gagne winning the cy young, it's just not likely to happen. You need to be fighting to be the best in the world, cause that's what the Crosby's and McDavids are doing

at the age of 19, Bianca is (as of today) the 10th ranked tennis player in the world. not sure how you can deny this kind of accomplishment.
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,655

Post#20 » by XxIronChainzxX » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:55 pm

YogiStewart wrote:
Mattd97 wrote:I get global game vs more regional, but unless you've got de grasse winning Olympic medals, Steve nash winning MVPs, gagne winning the cy young, it's just not likely to happen. You need to be fighting to be the best in the world, cause that's what the Crosby's and McDavids are doing

at the age of 19, Bianca is (as of today) the 10th ranked tennis player in the world. not sure how you can deny this kind of accomplishment.

In a far more global sport than hockey. We can talk about excellence in a major sport (basketball, soccer, etc.) vs. something more niche like skiing, but tennis is not a niche sport. While it was unfortunate how it went down Bianca was about to take her shot at beating Serena at the Rogers' Cup. It's not her fault how it went down. The Crosby's and the McDavids by comparison are doing a thing that is quite a lot more regional.

Return to Toronto Raptors