Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class?

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Who will be the BUST of the 2019 draft class? 

Post#81 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:18 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:
atlantabbq99 wrote:
gundysmullet wrote:Cam easily

I wouldn't call Cam a bust, you can't be a bust at #10.

Its more like if you are selected top 5 and you are not even a starter or playing in China only after a few years, that is a bust.

I think for Cam to be a bust he'd have to play pretty bad nba defence, shoot like 25% from three, high turnovers, not much inside scoring. Something like that. Not even close to nba rotational level...I think that would qualify him as a bust, maybe even a huge bust. He's still in the top10, sometimes there's not a huge difference in expectation between slot 5 and slot 10 in a draft, and in fact 10 might be ranked higher by most scouts etc.

If they are too stubborn to put him in the G-league the pressure even going 10 could prove to be to much for him with typical expectations of players taken then esp if they throw him out there game 1 and he stinks it up . I would think keep him on the bench for the first 10-15 games with ltd use if any in g league and call it due to recovery from offseason core muscle repair recovery etc. then if he proves to be making solid strides in the system down there and at some point dominates in the g-league throw him into the rotation for the Hawks a couple games against bad defenses to get his confidence up and then let him ride out the year swapping between 3rd string minutes and wearing a suit and see if that motivates him to start working harder instead of living off of hype. he has to earn his minutes is all I'm saying or he will never become very good in the NBA
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Post#82 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:52 pm

as bad as Cam was at Duke, his baseline is actually not that low...he has an easy path to success in the NBA as a 3+D guy, which he should be able to easily get to barring something unforseen with him. the shot, defense, and physical profile are all there. if he eventually develops more on-ball along with his handles and finishing, that would be a huge W for Atlanta.

same thing is true for Hunter too, easily projectable as a 3+D guy, and potentially more if other parts of his game keep developing. i don't see either 'busting'.

semi related note, a lot of 3+D wing types in this draft (Cam, Thybulle, Hunter, Okeke, etc.) that should be the bread and butter of this draft outside the top guys
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#83 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:25 pm

clyde21 wrote:as bad as Cam was at Duke, his baseline is actually not that low...he has an easy path to success in the NBA as a 3+D guy, which he should be able to easily get to barring something unforseen with him. the shot, defense, and physical profile are all there. if he eventually develops more on-ball along with his handles and finishing, that would be a huge W for Atlanta.

same thing is true for Hunter too, easily projectable as a 3+D guy, and potentially more if other parts of his game keep developing. i don't see either 'busting'.

semi related note, a lot of 3+D wing types in this draft (Cam, Thybulle, Hunter, Okeke, etc.) that should be the bread and butter of this draft outside the top guys

Being a 3/D role player is not what they drafted him to do( if it is they are duuuumb after trading up for Hunter) They could have gotten better value later if that's all they wanted was another defense first prospect.
So if that is all he ever is, the pick was a fail.
He needs to become worthy of the pick by becoming what he was expected to be coming out of HS which was a first option on a contender...anything short of that is a disappointment and most likely he never gets there.
I think they would be content with getting 2nd option scoring out of him in a couple years if his defense becomes above avg. along with it.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#84 » by Slartibartfast » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:16 pm

Garland seems to be the natural bust candidate because his sample size of excellence is so small and against iffy competition.

Barrett has obvious bust potential because of the holes in his game, but with all the usage he'll be getting in NY, he also has the potential for a Tyreke Evans kind of rookie year.

Hunter's skill deficiencies as a wing are pretty glaring. With his 3/D capabilities hard to see major bust potential, but could be a Marvin Williams type of mediocrity.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#85 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:44 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Garland seems to be the natural bust candidate because his sample size of excellence is so small and against iffy competition.

Barrett has obvious bust potential because of the holes in his game, but with all the usage he'll be getting in NY, he also has the potential for a Tyreke Evans kind of rookie year.

Hunter's skill deficiencies as a wing are pretty glaring. With his 3/D capabilities hard to see major bust potential, but could be a Marvin Williams type of mediocrity.

Yep any time a team drafts a player coming off injury with very little sample size the bust potential is higher, but I think the CLE front office learned from the previous front office's that picked players coming off injury without getting accurate or full medical info up front... that they would not have taken Garland without full medical access. This is probably more likely an Embiid,Irving,Simmons or similar situation outcome and not a one similar to MPJ
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,184

Post#86 » by brackdan70 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:59 pm

Sactowndog wrote:
orlandomanic wrote:Every year, their is at least 1 guy in the top 4 picks who is an unquestionable "bust" of their draft class. Who do you think that guy will be for the 2019 draft class?

2019 ?
2017 Markelle Fultz
2016 Dragan Bender
2015 Jahlil Okafor
2014 Jabari Parker
2013 Anthony Bennett
2012 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
2011 Derrick Williams
2010 Evan Turner
2009 Hasheem Thabeet
2008 Michael Beasley
2007 Greg Oden

Who is the bust from last year?

Might be to early to label. Also the top 5 played pretty well, and top 7 decent. Knox at number 9 is the only one of the top 10 that was underwhelming but at pick 9 and still being so young with some visible upside hard to label him already.

For 2019 it really could be any of the guys picked 3-7 imo. These guys are all role players I think and most will likely underperform their draft position. It’s a weak draft though so hard to call any busts...time will tell. If we are talking top 4 then I would guess Barrett. He will be a decent player and stick on the league I have no doubt but might end up as less than hoped for.
Sign here
GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#87 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Aug 4, 2019 6:50 am

clyde21 wrote:as bad as Cam was at Duke, his baseline is actually not that low...he has an easy path to success in the NBA as a 3+D guy, which he should be able to easily get to barring something unforseen with him. the shot, defense, and physical profile are all there. if he eventually develops more on-ball along with his handles and finishing, that would be a huge W for Atlanta.

Clyde what are the odds BOLBOL becomes the BUST of this draft class? He has a lot of offensive potential but I hear he moves like a sloth, has no idea what to do with himself defensively and has little to no bball IQ. That said he was a second round pick so personally I'm not expecting much, and possibly he should not be considered a bust if he doesn't "pan out". It seems like the nuggets believe in him, though.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#88 » by Stillwater » Sun Aug 4, 2019 1:47 pm

GreatWhiteStiff wrote:

Clyde what are the odds BOLBOL becomes the BUST of this draft class? He has a lot of offensive potential but I hear he moves like a sloth, has no idea what to do with himself defensively and has little to no bball IQ. That said he was a second round pick so personally I'm not expecting much, and possibly he should not be considered a bust if he doesn't "pan out". It seems like the nuggets believe in him, though.

noone is going to expect bol to do well now...
he cannot be a bust.
idk where you got all that low bbiq and sloth bs from . the key reason he fell so far was terrible medicals, innability to add mass without increasing injury risk even further to his feet and a lack of motivation to go to work...hes lucky he even got drafted. He just wanted to get paid and now that he aint getting paid maybe he will get motivated, but even if he does he will get hurt again if the docs got it right. Denver likes longshots...
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,813

Post#89 » by kulaz3000 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 6:23 am

To me it's Barrett. Only because he was the no.3 pick for a team that is starving for a franchise player. Not to say that there is always a franchise player available at no.3 in all drafts, however, the expectations are high for him, and though I don't think he will be a scrub, but I don't think he will every come close to being a franchise player.

I think at best we are looking at a Thaddeous Young type of career, with lesser defensive capabilities, but better playmaking abilities. Thus, a very solid player, but not exactly a player you would ever consider as being part of a core for a relevant or championship contending team. And as a number 3 pick, I'd consider that a bust.
Why so serious?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#90 » by Stillwater » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:14 am

^ I don't know about that , I think the NBA opens up Barrett's game significantly . he just needs to improve his shooting % , add some effort defensively , and stay hungry...
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#91 » by King Ken » Sun Sep 1, 2019 5:04 am

I don't see too many bust in the lottery if any at all. A lot of higher than average floors going into the right system for what they do. R.J. is probably the highest failure chance but he like Trae Young will get so many chances and they are building around him that it's likely he won't bust.

Romeo should take time and P.J. Washington is probably the most like bust I see due to his situation and placement.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#92 » by clyde21 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:53 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:To me it's Barrett. Only because he was the no.3 pick for a team that is starving for a franchise player. Not to say that there is always a franchise player available at no.3 in all drafts, however, the expectations are high for him, and though I don't think he will be a scrub, but I don't think he will every come close to being a franchise player.

I think at best we are looking at a Thaddeous Young type of career, with lesser defensive capabilities, but better playmaking abilities. Thus, a very solid player, but not exactly a player you would ever consider as being part of a core for a relevant or championship contending team. And as a number 3 pick, I'd consider that a bust.

well, I think that depends on what your definition of a franchise player is...if that's an MVP caliber guy then yea I think you're right, if the Knicks are expecting an MVP level player year in year out they'll be disappointed, but they'll be getting a multi-time all-star IMO and I don't think that's a disappointment at 3.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#93 » by King Ken » Mon Sep 2, 2019 11:47 pm

clyde21 wrote:
kulaz3000 wrote:To me it's Barrett. Only because he was the no.3 pick for a team that is starving for a franchise player. Not to say that there is always a franchise player available at no.3 in all drafts, however, the expectations are high for him, and though I don't think he will be a scrub, but I don't think he will every come close to being a franchise player.

well, I think that depends on what your definition of a franchise player is...if that's an MVP caliber guy then yea I think you're right, if the Knicks are expecting an MVP level player year in year out they'll be disappointed, but they'll be getting a multi-time all-star IMO and I don't think that's a disappointment at 3.

All of these prospects got to make a substantial jump to go into the MVP category.
gorz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,603

Post#94 » by gorz » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:08 am

Ja Morant. I think he will be solid nba pro but I don't think he will be anywhere close to his hype.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#95 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:32 am

RodyTur10 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:
orlandomanic wrote:Every year, their is at least 1 guy in the top 4 picks who is an unquestionable "bust" of their draft class. Who do you think that guy will be for the 2019 draft class?

2019 ?
2017 Markelle Fultz
2016 Dragan Bender
2015 Jahlil Okafor
2014 Jabari Parker
2013 Anthony Bennett
2012 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
2011 Derrick Williams
2010 Evan Turner
2009 Hasheem Thabeet
2008 Michael Beasley
2007 Greg Oden

Bamba (#6) and Knox (#9) are candidates to become busts. The top 5 from 2018 (Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Jackson Jr, Young) is looking very good, strong draft.

The 2019 draft class has a lot of question marks. Zion has a huge hype to live up to. I'm convinced that Morant and Garland will succeed, but after that I'm not 100% certain about any of the rest of the top 10 (Barrett, Hunter, Garland, Culver, White, Hayes, Hachimura and Reddish).

no, Knox could still end up the best player from last year's draft and he's way too talented and already performed way too good to even be mentioned. It's baffling why people are so down on a 19 y/o who flashed while playing in NY. I'll never understand it. He looked like an alpha #1 option in the SL. He's at minimum going to be a team's 2nd best player and has superstar upside. Can't fault Bamba for injuries and who drafted him. Now, if he doesn't force their hand into more playing time this season and dominate, then yeah, he's a candidate for sure.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,035
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#96 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:14 am

I like Knox’s upside, but there is a better chance of him never putting up what Luka did as a rookie than there is that he becomes the best player from his draft.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#97 » by The-Power » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:45 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:no, Knox could still end up the best player from last year's draft and he's way too talented and already performed way too good to even be mentioned.

Knox was perhaps the worst player in the NBA last year.
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,978

Post#98 » by VCfor3 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:45 pm

The-Power wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:no, Knox could still end up the best player from last year's draft and he's way too talented and already performed way too good to even be mentioned.

Knox advanced stats last season: Worst BPM, worst VORP, 2nd worst WS
clyde21
RealGM

Post#99 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:45 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
RodyTur10 wrote:
Sactowndog wrote:

Bamba (#6) and Knox (#9) are candidates to become busts. The top 5 from 2018 (Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Jackson Jr, Young) is looking very good, strong draft.

The 2019 draft class has a lot of question marks. Zion has a huge hype to live up to. I'm convinced that Morant and Garland will succeed, but after that I'm not 100% certain about any of the rest of the top 10 (Barrett, Hunter, Garland, Culver, White, Hayes, Hachimura and Reddish).

no, Knox could still end up the best player from last year's draft and he's way too talented and already performed way too good to even be mentioned. It's baffling why people are so down on a 19 y/o who flashed while playing in NY. I'll never understand it. He looked like an alpha #1 option in the SL. He's at minimum going to be a team's 2nd best player and has superstar upside. Can't fault Bamba for injuries and who drafted him. Now, if he doesn't force their hand into more playing time this season and dominate, then yeah, he's a candidate for sure.

Knox has been absolute trash in the NBA, and was actually one of the worst players in the SL on top of it too...he has a long, long way to go before being a functional NBA player...let alone the best player in a draft that's gonna tote Doncic
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,080

Post#100 » by The-Power » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:52 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
The-Power wrote:

Knox advanced stats last season: Worst BPM, worst VORP, 2nd worst WS

Worst RPM, worst RAPM.

Return to NBA Draft