OT: 2018-2020 USA Basketball Men's National Team - 2020 (2021) Tokyo Olympics Updated Schedule, Page 13

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,432

Re: OT: 2018-2020 USA Basketball Men's National Team - Updated Schedule, Page 5 

Post#161 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 1, 2019 7:45 am

Exhibition Game 2 - Team USA vs. Australia:

Summary video and interviews
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Representing!
Read on Twitter

Game summary
On Thursday, the U.S. men’s basketball team confirmed it’s a top contender in its own right, using a big third quarter to beat Australia 102-86 in the first of three exhibition games Down Under.

A total of 51,218 people were on hand to watch the friendly at Marvel Stadium in Melbourne, setting a record for a basketball game in Australia.

Point guard Kemba Walker, who signed as a free agent with the Boston Celtics this summer, is captaining the team against Australia, along with Donovan Mitchell and Marcus Smart. The starting five Thursday consisted of Walker, Mitchell, Joe Harris, Jaylen Brown and Myles Turner.

Walker led the team in scoring with 23 points and added six rebounds, and Turner added 15 points and 14 rebounds.

It was a close game in the first half. The U.S. led by just one point, 44-43, at halftime.

Australia capitalized on a turnover to start the third quarter and took the lead, but a pair of layups by Turner and Walker got it back, and a 3-pointer by Turner made it 51-45. The U.S. went back to beyond the arc twice more before Australia would score again, building up a 12-point lead. The U.S. defense clamped down, outscoring Australia 32-18 over the course of the third and heading into the fourth held a 76-61 lead.

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2019/August/22/Led-By-Kemba-Walkers-23-Points-US-Mens-Hoops-Team-Beats-Australia-In-World-Cup-Tune-Up
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#162 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 1, 2019 8:17 am

Exhibition Game 2 - Team USA vs. Australia:

Full game

Post-game press conference
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#163 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 1, 2019 8:50 am

Rest day (23-8-2019):

On a rare day off, Team USA enjoyed an AFL game.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

The guys were in good spirits and were good sports. But if you want an interview with Pop, it's probably best to arrange that ahead of time or else...
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#164 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:44 pm

Exhibition Game 3 - Team USA vs. Australia, Marvel Stadium, Melbourne, Australia (24-8-2019):

Counterpunch game
Read on Twitter

Arrivals
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Starters - once again, three new players
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#165 » by G R E Y » Sun Sep 1, 2019 12:56 pm

Exhibition Game 3 - Team USA vs. Australia:

Photos

See more photos here - https://www.usab.com/basketball/media/galleries/2019/08/mnt-exh-v-aus-2.aspx

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#166 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 2, 2019 5:50 am

Read on Twitter

Box score - https://www.usab.com/usavaus

Video summary of the game
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#167 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 2, 2019 7:47 am

Post-game interviews
Read on Twitter

Quotes
Khris Middleton (Milwaukee Bucks)
What will you do to help your teammates get through this process?
Watch film when we get the chance to, learn from it and move on.

What are the keys to winning in an environment like that?
To keep our composure. That’s the main thing. It’s a road game for us, obviously. This is great. It’s all about composure and executing down the stretch and getting stops.

Marcus Smart (Boston Celtics)
On getting back on the court:
It felt good, really good. The training staff decided to play me only 10 minutes in this game. For those 10 minutes, I thought I got out there and I did pretty well. It just felt good to be out there with those guys.

I think today was just the first day and last day of it. I think from here on out, I will be cleared to play. That’s kind of the way we were going, and they just wanted to see what it was like today. Everything feels well, so I think they are going to take the reins off.

What is the focus for this team from here on out?
Just continue to build together. We’ve only been playing together for a little while, and this was a good lesson for us. This was good. We are going into this tournament, and everybody wants us to lose – everybody. We are always the underdogs in a sense. Everybody is hunting us, and not everybody believes in us. So, we got to come out and prove everybody wrong. We just got to stay together.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/08/mnt-vs-australia-2-quotes.aspx
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#168 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:09 am

Full game

Post-game press conference
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#169 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:43 am

During the second exhibition game versus Australia, Derrick tripped and fell and hit his head hard. He got up on his own, but it seemed as if this may have cost him a place on the team.
Read on Twitter

But with a couple of other injuries to the roster and Derrick toughing it out, he looks like a badass with a bandage over his eye and an official Team USA jersey on.

An unlikely series of events has led to Derrick being one of the 12 players on Team USA, but it's also a credit to the work he has put into his game. It's just one more achievement for a guy who wasn't supposed to make it but kept pushing ahead anyway. You never know. Congratulations, Derrick!
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#170 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:27 am

Practice 1 - Qudos Bank Arena, Sydney, Australia (25-8-2019):

The team traveled to Sydney to learn and prepare for their final exhibition game.

Photos
Read on Twitter

Team USA and Spurs athletic trainer Will Sevening

Videos
Read on Twitter

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#171 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:58 am

Practice 1 - Qudos Bank Arena, Sydney, Australia:

Interviews

Read on Twitter

Quotes
Jayson Tatum (Boston Celtics)
How does it feel to be named to the World Cup roster?
It’s a great feeling. It’s an honor to represent your country. I’ve been a part of USA Basketball for a while, so it’s just cool to see my transition from 16-and-under until now with the National Team.

Myles Turner (Indiana Pacers)
This is amazing for me. This is something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. It’s been a long time coming. You start with like the Nike Hoop Summit in high school, then the Select Team, and then you finally make it up to here It’s pretty cool.

What there any different feel in practice today?
We were humbled a little bit. Just because you are Team USA doesn’t mean you are going to win every game. Teams are looking to beat us, and we understand that now. We just have to bring it every night. There are no nights off.

Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs)
What there any different feel in practice today?
Everybody was just trying to focus in on the mistakes that we made last game, try to improve each and every day and learn from it.

It’s obviously a blessing. I think anybody would say that, just to represent your country and play for something greater than yourself.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/08/mnt-quotes-aug-25.aspx
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#172 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:54 am

Exhibition Game 4 - Team USA vs. Canada, Qudos Bank Arena, Sydney, Australia (26-8-2019):
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#173 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:51 am

Exhibition Game 4 - Team USA vs. Canada:

New starters - Kemba, Donovan, Jayson, Harrison, Myles

Photos
Read on Twitter

More photos here - https://www.usab.com/basketball/media/galleries/2019/08/mnt-exh-v-can.aspx
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#174 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:22 am

For whatever reason, Brook became a fan favourite by the end of the game, with cheers erupting every time he appeared on camera. They wanted him back on the court so badly that eventually Pop relented with the game at hand. Great crowd.

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#175 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:41 am

Read on Twitter

Box score - https://www.usab.com/usavcan

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#176 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 3, 2019 6:59 am

Post-game interviews
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Quotes
Gregg Popovich (USA and San Antonio Spurs head coach)
The USA winning after a loss:
They learned that in this competition, you can’t take nights off. It’s one and done. So, like I say, we are learning a lot. This group has never been together before and had a lot to learn. We still have a lot to learn, but game by game, practice by practice trying to figure it out. And, tonight was another good lesson to realize what the mindset has to be going into these games – how physical they are, how you have to sustain the energy for forty minutes. They are doing a great job of just paying attention, not talking to the referees and worried about a bad call or anything like that. It’s coming along, but as I said, there is a lot of improvement we can make, and that’s a good thing. I think we got good potential there to continue to execute better than we are now. So, we competed. That wasn’t a problem, but still execution takes time and guys have to get used to each other. You have to practice, which is kind of difficult as you move forward in this competition. So, the games in a way are practices also, in the sense that you have to try to be as good at what you are trying to get accomplished as possible.

How encouraged are you by Myles Turner’s play?
He’s been really consistent for us under the bucket, defensively, rebounding-wise. He’s understands his role really well, and he fits with everybody else. So, he’s done a good job.

On Jaylen Brown:
Jaylen, he’s just a hard-nose player. He understands what has to be done. He doesn’t care about anything, except playing with his teammates, winning, playing aggressively all the time, and he’s consistent in that regard. He does it all the time. He’s confident in his shot. He’s tough underneath. So, he’s been one of our more consistent players, along with Myles.

What impact has Donovan Mitchell had?
He’s a real congenial, easy to like young player. Again, he’s selfless. He wants to do the right thing. He probably, in some situations, tries to do more than he needs to, actually, because he feels a responsibility to do it. But, all these guys get along well. Off the court, they enjoy each other, and that’s what we try to do in putting the team together, have guys that we thought would be good teammates. And, fortunately, that’s turned out to be the case.

Jaylen Brown (Boston Celtics)
On the USA’s defense:
I think today was a good start in the right direction. I think that is where we are going to hang our hat, the defensive intensity and pressure. So, it was good to see it tonight....

Donovan Mitchell (Utah Jazz)
On the game:
I think our overall activity was the biggest thing, just continuing to find ways to defend. We held them to a nine point quarter. I think that is one thing that really set the tone from the start of the game.

Did the team get the preparation it needed during the exhibition games?
I think so. Obviously, you want to win them all, but I think we learned so much. That’s huge. We are continuing to build and build.

Kemba Walker (Boston Celtics)
On the intensity of the game and in particular your defensive pressure?
That’s what we had to do. That was our main focus coming into tonight’s game. We wanted to be intense, and we wanted to be serious – try our best just to get into the basketball and press as much as possible. I thought we did a great job tonight.

Do you feel like you’re finally ready for this thing to start?
We’re getting better as the days go on. We still have some work to do to continue to get better. I think we’re taking the right steps, the right direction.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/08/mnt-vs-canada-quotes.aspx
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#177 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:04 am

Exhibition Game 4 - Team USA vs Canada:

Full game
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#178 » by G R E Y » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:34 pm

Rest day (27-8-2019):
Upon arriving in beautiful Sydney, the team enjoyed some sightseeing in between practices and the game.
Read on Twitter

On the 27th, the team went on a day cruise.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Retrospectives of Donovan's and Team USA's time in Australia.
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#179 » by G R E Y » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:14 am

Practice 2 - Qudos Bank Arena, Sydney, Australia (28-8-2019):
Read on Twitter

ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#180 » by G R E Y » Wed Sep 4, 2019 7:41 am

Leaving for China (28-8-2019):
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

After weeks of training and exhibition matches, the USA Men’s World Cup Team finally is ready to play for gold at the FIBA World Cup in China.

The two-time defending world champions wrapped up preparations in Sydney on Wednesday afternoon before departing for Shanghai that evening.

Center Myles Turner, who turned in two double-doubles in the four exhibitions and led the team with 8.3 rebounds per game in that span, said the warm-up battles taught the squad a lot about itself.

“We’re feeling great,” he said. “We learned a lot over these past couple weeks, learned a lot about each other, learned a lot about the competition.

“We’re getting to know each other better. As opposed to just running a whole bunch of plays, we’re reading each other, making plays off each other.”

Guard Kemba Walker says the team has come a long way since the tip-off of the win over Spain.

“I think just confidence, the togetherness, we’re definitely a lot further along than when we played against Spain,” he says. “When we played against Spain we were just a new team, trying to figure things out, trying to make the team. Now we’re much better, especially being on this trip, these four games for us have been great.

“We’re just a better team overall now. Guys know their roles, know what they have to do to help this team win.”

Walker led the U.S. in scoring in two of the exhibition games and averaged a team-high 17.0 points per game during the four-game slate. But, he said these tune-up matches, especially the loss to Australia, proved it has to be more than a one-man show if the U.S. hopes to earn gold in China....

“We have to move the basketball as much as we can. Sometimes we get into times where we try to do it individually. We’re not going to win like that. We have to get rid of the ball, trust in each other. Right now the best thing I’ve seen is the trust we have in each other, and we need that to win.”

In becoming a more cohesive playing group, Turner said the team has also used these games to prepare for the different style of basketball that comes with international competition.

“It’s more physical, fewer calls, it’s a shorter game, you don’t have time to lollygag,” the Indiana Pacers star said. “A lot of times in the NBA you sort of wait until the fourth quarter to turn it on. You have to turn it on from the jump here. And these teams, everybody wants to beat the USA. We’re the top dog, and everybody’s gunning for us night-in and night-out.”

After all the training, exhibition games and travel, Walker says he’s ready to get the show on the road.

“I’m ready to get things going. It’s been fun, getting this opportunity to be out here in Australia playing against Australia and Canada, Spain, it’s been an amazing experience. But now we’re ready to go to China, get this thing started, just looking forward to the challenge.”

https://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2019/08/mwc-preview.aspx
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs