ImageImageImageImageImage

Joe Jesus to workout for the Nets(Update: ISO Joe to Detroit)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Joe Jesus to workout for the Nets(Update: ISO Joe to Detroit) 

Post#1 » by Paradise » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:54 pm

Read on Twitter

The second coming of Joe Johnson?

Brooklyn91
Pro Prospect
And1: 840

Re: Joe Jesus to workout for the Nets 

Post#2 » by Brooklyn91 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:55 pm

Hope 7th ave Joe makes a solid comeback
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#3 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Sep 2, 2019 9:31 pm

At this point in their careers, JJ and Melo are similar role players. Stretch 4s that can carry some bench scoring load. The question is whether either can be anything other than a complete liability defensively. Historically, Melo has been a better rebounder, but that may because he played a 3/4 where JJ played 2/3.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,829

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Sep 2, 2019 11:39 pm

If I had to choose between Joe and Melo i'm going with Joe. Joe would be a better culture fit because he's a pretty laid back dude and his game is a better fit for our system. Now that being said, Joe shot the three ball horribly in his last season in the league so I don't know how much he has in the tank for NBA games.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#5 » by shakendfries » Tue Sep 3, 2019 1:11 am

didn't kd take joe's old jersey number
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:00 am

TheNetsFan wrote:At this point in their careers, JJ and Melo are similar role players. Stretch 4s that can carry some bench scoring load. The question is whether either can be anything other than a complete liability defensively. Historically, Melo has been a better rebounder, but that may because he played a 3/4 where JJ played 2/3.

Joe is more of a team guy and has accepted backup roles in miami and houston. he is the clear option over carmello. we have bench defenders.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#7 » by TheNetsFan » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:47 pm

Prokorov wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:At this point in their careers, JJ and Melo are similar role players. Stretch 4s that can carry some bench scoring load. The question is whether either can be anything other than a complete liability defensively. Historically, Melo has been a better rebounder, but that may because he played a 3/4 where JJ played 2/3.

Joe is more of a team guy and has accepted backup roles in miami and houston. he is the clear option over carmello. we have bench defenders.

At this point, Joe is a 14th-15th man. Melo has the ability to still be a legit role player. The upside is with Melo.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#8 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 3, 2019 1:01 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

At this point, Joe is a 14th-15th man. Melo has the ability to still be a legit role player. The upside is with Melo.

Agree to disagree. i viem melo as like 40th man. i think on court joe is the clear better player although both have issues and have declined massively. Carmelllo also has the ability to cause major lockeroom issues, joe wont.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 658

Post#9 » by NetsJets » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:31 pm

Melo fills a need. He can play 3 positions (3, 4, 5) actually helps us with rebounding, and he can be a legit 4th scoring option for this team behind Kyrie, LeVert and Dinwiddie. The clear and obvious choice is Melo. But we’ll see.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#10 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:55 pm

NetsJets wrote:Melo fills a need. He can play 3 positions (3, 4, 5) actually helps us with rebounding, and he can be a legit 4th scoring option for this team behind Kyrie, LeVert and Dinwiddie. The clear and obvious choice is Melo. But we’ll see.

i dont think melo can play the 3 or the 5. i dont think he can defend 1 through 5 and i dont think he is a "legit" scoring option
NetsJets
Starter

Post#11 » by NetsJets » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:45 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NetsJets wrote:Melo fills a need. He can play 3 positions (3, 4, 5) actually helps us with rebounding, and he can be a legit 4th scoring option for this team behind Kyrie, LeVert and Dinwiddie. The clear and obvious choice is Melo. But we’ll see.

i dont think melo can play the 3 or the 5. i dont think he can defend 1 through 5 and i dont think he is a "legit" scoring option

Except that he can play the 3 and the 5. In spurts and in certain lineups. He needs to defend the 1-5? When since? You’re saying he can’t give us 10-13 ppg off the bench? He did it last year in Houston. You’re letting your bias cloud your judgement.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:46 pm

I think Melo's days as a small forward ended long ago. He's a PF now

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#13 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:48 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Except that he can play the 3 and the 5. In spurts and in certain lineups. He needs to defend the 1-5? When since? You’re saying he can’t give us 10-13 ppg off the bench? He did it last year in Houston. You’re letting your bias cloud your judgement.

he doesn need to defend 1 through 5... but he does need to be able to defend 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5. there is no position he CAN defend. He cant play center.

saying he scored 13 ppg is disingenuous.... as it took him 12 shots to get 13 points and he had an abysmal 51 TS% and barley shot 40% from the field. he was hiddeous offensively for the rockets
NetsJets
Starter

Post#14 » by NetsJets » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:30 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

he doesn need to defend 1 through 5... but he does need to be able to defend 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or 5. there is no position he CAN defend. He cant play center.

saying he scored 13 ppg is disingenuous.... as it took him 12 shots to get 13 points and he had an abysmal 51 TS% and barley shot 40% from the field. he was hiddeous offensively for the rockets

Yeah because he played 16 seasons without being able to “defend” *yawn*. There are guys in the league right now who’s had long careers without being known as great defenders, so why is that being held against Melo? 12 shots isn’t even a lot of shots, I can understand if you said 20-25 shots, his role on the Rockets was to be a scorer off the bench, of course with less minutes and not the same amount of touches he wasn’t going to put up big numbers every night. What do you consider a good TS%?
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#15 » by MGrand15 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:37 pm

I think Melo has some upside. Hell, he killed us last year. But the guy has been in PERFECT situations the last 2 years. OKC playing next to 2 prime respected superstars. Houston playing next to the best offensive player in the league + a really good veteran PG who happens to be one of his good friends. Both times he had a bunch of scrappy vets next to him.

Both situations badly. With him unhappy about his role.

Joe is a much better fit. Honestly though, I'd rather take a risk on a young guy or a reclamation project over some vet. I'd much rather have a scrappy guy like Graham over Melo or JJ.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,238

Post#16 » by Papi_swav » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:09 pm

Man Joe DOMINATED the big 3 league, he still is who he is, a great 1 on 1 scorer and his catch and shoot 3 will fit right in with us. And we all know he's as clutch as anyone.

The debate between Joe and Melo is a good one. I'm leaning towards Joe because of the history and we know he won't cause problems, but I think Melo can perform a little better than him and his rebounding, strength and toughness at the 4 is something we lack right now.

Melo is at the point where he has to accept any role just to get back in the league and I think he understands that by now. He has to know that no team will give him heavy minutes by this point, nobody even wants him. He shouldn't give any problems in the locker room, he's desperate for anything at this point. Hope we get Joe though.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#17 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:19 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Man Joe DOMINATED the big 3 league, he still is who he is, a great 1 on 1 scorer and his catch and shoot 3 will fit right in with us. And we all know he's as clutch as anyone.

The debate between Joe and Melo is a good one. I'm leaning towards Joe because of the history and we know he won't cause problems, but I think Melo can perform a little better than him and his rebounding, strength and toughness at the 4 is something we lack right now.

Melo is at the point where he has to accept any role just to get back in the league and I think he understands that by now. He has to know that no team will give him heavy minutes by this point, nobody even wants him. He shouldn't give any problems in the locker room, he's desperate for anything at this point. Hope we get Joe though.

I think Melo being a big body at the 4 would be a good thing to have but he's useless defensively and in this offense he'd be asked to provide floor spacing and his shot has been pretty bad.

Hell, same with Joe tbh. Joe dropping buckets in the BIG 3 is cool but he'd have to be catch and shoot Joe here in BKN and his numbers sucked during his last NBA season from downtown.

Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#18 » by Papi_swav » Wed Sep 4, 2019 3:27 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Man Joe DOMINATED the big 3 league, he still is who he is, a great 1 on 1 scorer and his catch and shoot 3 will fit right in with us. And we all know he's as clutch as anyone.

I think Melo being a big body at the 4 would be a good thing to have but he's useless defensively and in this offense he'd be asked to provide floor spacing and his shot has been pretty bad.

Hell, same with Joe tbh. Joe dropping buckets in the BIG 3 is cool but he'd have to be catch and shoot Joe here in BKN and his numbers sucked during his last NBA season from downtown.

Well Melo has slimmed down a bit and he's been shooting 3s all year, I think he knows he has to be a spot up shooter to get back in the NBA. Melo might be bad defensively but how many players actually even play defense any more? And he will be a backup to the backup, he'll probably be guarding guys like ilyasova or Donte Cunningham, not Al Horford, although he might be better at guarding Horford than anybody else we have on our roster now.

Joe history outweighs his last year IMO. Even though he's older we all know he can score and shoot and when he's hot he's hot. Some years players have bad shooting numbers than others,it happens to all, I wouldn't kill him for just that last year. Don't forget he played great in Utah in limited minutes and helped them tremendously that year. Either way I'm cool with both. I think playing with guys like Kyrie and the young boys will push them harder.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#19 » by MGrand15 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:03 am

Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Well Melo has slimmed down a bit and he's been shooting 3s all year, I think he knows he has to be a spot up shooter to get back in the NBA. Melo might be bad defensively but how many players actually even play defense any more? And he will be a backup to the backup, he'll probably be guarding guys like ilyasova or Donte Cunningham, not Al Horford, although he might be better at guarding Horford than anybody else we have on our roster now.

Joe history outweighs his last year IMO. Even though he's older we all know he can score and shoot and when he's hot he's hot. Some years players have bad shooting numbers than others,it happens to all, I wouldn't kill him for just that last year. Don't forget he played great in Utah in limited minutes and helped them tremendously that year. Either way I'm cool with both. I think playing with guys like Kyrie and the young boys will push them harder.

Come on man. Our forwards gave it 120% on defense last year. Graham, RHJ, Rodi, Carroll, even Dudley. Defense is REALLY important. If those guys weren't scrapping and clawing for every stop, we don't even get close to the playoffs.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#20 » by Papi_swav » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:20 am

MGrand15 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Come on man. Our forwards gave it 120% on defense last year. Graham, RHJ, Rodi, Carroll, even Dudley. Defense is REALLY important. If those guys weren't scrapping and clawing for every stop, we don't even get close to the playoffs.

Yes they put in a lot of effort but that doesn't make it good defense. Check those advance stats on defense for each of them, they probably not that much better than Melo. We know Melo can be lazy and lack effort sometimes but he's in a vulnerable position right now, he NEEDS to do whatever it takes to get back and stay in the NBA for a couple seasons is my point, he knows he needs to put that effort in. I can't see him coming here and being lazy or trying to take over the team or being a distraction in the locker room, I think he's all the way humbled now. Remember those strip blocks he use to do? I dont think anybody else did that.

Return to Brooklyn Nets