Rui Hachimura

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Re: Rui Hachimura 

Post#501 » by payitforward » Mon Sep 2, 2019 2:42 am

JWizmentality wrote:
Jaekast wrote:Rui vs Brandon Clarke + pif shoved shoved up his ass.

Why are you looking for a fight my guy? You're really going to force me to defend PIF?

I gave him $3 to do it, JWiz....

Jaekast will do anything for $3. Everybody knows that. Especially when he's been drinking. & he's usually been drinking.

That's why the front of his pants are all wet. Right, Jaekast? Isn't that so?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#502 » by nuposse04 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 6:53 pm

Should be kinda fun to see Rui and Jan/Sato go at it. Apparently Rui played against Turkey with a fever so hopefully he's up to the task
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#503 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Post#504 » by doclinkin » Mon Sep 2, 2019 9:34 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

That's about the best comparison so far. With today's Markannen a tick better than Hachimura in every category. I think with weight room dedication and offseason work Hachimura could pass Lauri. I get the sense his physical strength may match and pass the Finnisher.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#505 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 10:22 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

That's about the best comparison so far. With today's Markannen a tick better than Hachimura in every category. I think with weight room dedication and offseason work Hachimura could pass Lauri. I get the sense his physical strength may match and pass the Finnisher.

Well that isn't quite true - Rui right now is a significantly better isolation scorer than Lauri, and a better defender.
Markkanen is obviously a much better 3pt shooter. Ballhandling/playmaking probably about even. Both of them have high offensive IQ and move well off the ball, but at the moment Rui primarily ends his possessions with 2s whereas Markkanen hunts 3s.

But still, it's a really interesting and apt comparison that I thought about posting on before, but didn't know if it would confuse people. Anyone who's seen Lauri play in FIBA would instantly identify the similarities, he also plays much more freely with his national team and NBA scouts were unable to see that side of his game within U of Arizona's system.

Imo Hachimura has a much higher defensive ceiling at his position than Lauri and that's where he would be able to pass him. He has to start shooting the threes to close the offensive gap though.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#506 » by prime1time » Mon Sep 2, 2019 11:33 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

I like the comp to a degree. Personally I think Rui's fine in the weight room department. He's already built like a cinder block. I wouldn't be surprised if he's stronger than Lauri straight up. Watching Lauri, the biggest difference is that he's a legit 3-point shooter. He shoots for both average and volume. Rui hasn't done that yet on any level. Another key difference is that Lauri never gets the ball in the mid-post and rarely ever posts up. These are two major differences between Rui and Lauri. Size is similar equating Rui's 7'2 wingspan and 6'8 height with Lauri's 7'0 height and 6'11 wingspan. I also think Lauri has better ball handling skills.

Personally I'm higher on Rui for the simple fact that I really value go to basketball moves when it comes to scoring. It's nice to be able to shoot 3's. It's nice to attack the hoop strong and get layups/dunks. That Lauri's game 80% of the time. Layups/Dunks and 3's. But when the defense looks in and you can't get a layup or a 3, you need someone who can create a shot and do so at a solid percentage. Rui's potential to be able to create from nothing is what separates the two in my opinion. Rui just has a vast array of skills when it comes to scoring. The other day I was watching a FIBA preliminary game and out of nowhere he tried a Dirk one leg fadeaway. It didn't go in, but I was just so shocked that he even had that skill.

Going forward it'll be very interesting to see how Lauri improves his game. Does he just refine the skillset he already has, or does he try to add another dimension to his game. I'd also point out that Lauri's defense is not just average, it is bad. With a defensive box plus/minus of -1.3 and -1.6. In addition, he also has a negative offensive box plus/minus for his two seasons. So ultimately, I think the hope has to be that Rui ends up better than Lauri. A significantly better defender and a more versatile offensive scorer, who can score not just off of what other players create - i.e. open 3's, lobs, straight line attacks to the hoop - but can also create for himself. There's a level of polish in Rui's offensive one-on-one moves that Lauri has never once demonstrated. And, that potential is what really separates the two players. Rui's potential is to be everything that Lauri has offensively, plus an effective one-on-one scorer and an above average defender.

Also, after watching tape of Rui, I feel very confident about Rui going against Markannen one on one. I think Rui could slow him down defensively and I don't think that Lauri could slow Rui down offensively. And at some point in comparing two players that play similar styles that has to matter.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#507 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Sep 2, 2019 11:52 pm

Markkanen’s #1 weakness is he can’t easily iso a defender 1v1 and create his shot for himself or teammates. He is a prolific shooter but can’t slow the game down in halfcourt and go to work, that’s what keeps him from being a young-Nowitzki type offensive force.

He doesn’t really have a post up game and came into the league avoiding contact (though he’s done a good job adding strength). But those aspects of the game come very naturally to Rui. He looks apt at moving off the ball and using strength to get to his spots. That’s the type of player the Wizards have needed for years now, someone who can methodically go and get a bucket when the game slows down in halfcourt.

Now he just needs to add the outside shooting element. He’s shown promise as a jumpshooter already (49% from midrange at Gonzaga) - but to reach his max potential has to be a knockdown catch and shoot guy from 3pt.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#508 » by prime1time » Mon Sep 2, 2019 11:56 pm

Also, I know it's superficial but I like how he takes responsibility for the team. I saw the same thing in summer league in his interview after games. There's a level of maturity and focus in Rui that you simply don't see in young players.

DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,917

Post#509 » by DCZards » Tue Sep 3, 2019 2:02 am

Illmatic12 wrote:Markkanen’s #1 weakness is he can’t easily iso a defender 1v1 and create his shot for himself or teammates. He is a prolific shooter but can’t slow the game down in halfcourt and go to work, that’s what keeps him from being a young-Nowitzki type offensive force.

He doesn’t really have a post up game and came into the league avoiding contact (though he’s done a good job adding strength). But those aspects of the game come very naturally to Rui. He looks apt at moving off the ball and using strength to get to his spots. That’s the type of player the Wizards have needed for years now, someone who can methodically go and get a bucket when the game slows down in halfcourt.

Now he just needs to add the outside shooting element. He’s shown promise as a jumpshooter already (49% from midrange at Gonzaga) - but to reach his max potential has to be a knockdown catch and shoot guy from 3pt.

That may be what has surprised me most about Rui thus far...the physicality that he plays with on offense. Not only is he not afraid of contact, he actually seems to seek it out. It's that sort of play that gives me confidence that he can improve as a rebounder with coaching, experience and, hopefully, an improved nose for the ball.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#510 » by Ruzious » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:54 am

DCZards wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:Markkanen’s #1 weakness is he can’t easily iso a defender 1v1 and create his shot for himself or teammates. He is a prolific shooter but can’t slow the game down in halfcourt and go to work, that’s what keeps him from being a young-Nowitzki type offensive force.

That may be what has surprised me most about Rui thus far...the physicality that he plays with on offense. Not only is he not afraid of contact, he actually seems to seek it out. It's that sort of play that gives me confidence that he can improve as a rebounder with coaching, experience and, hopefully, an improved nose for the ball.

That's the part that impressed me when he was at Gonzaga - he goes hard and aggressively without hesitation to the basket all the time. In that sense (not in others), he looked like a mini Giannis. He's a natural scorer.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#511 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:26 am

Rui gave a tremendous effort tonight in spite of his teammates.

He has a really nice IQ and leads his team without being a lead ballhandler. On offense he is constantly communicating and directing traffic, every possession he sets multiple screens to free up his teammates and tell some guys where to go. It’s actually embarrassing because he’s seeing things on the floor that his teammates aren’t and no one else is able to match his level. These plays will never make a highlight reel but he had at least 2-3 nice no-look passes out of double teams that his teammates weren’t ready for or blew the layup.

I think Rui has gotten measurably better since Gonzaga and is going to really, really thrive once he gets around NBA-quality teammates and coaches. Compared to the guys he’s playing with now, Ish Smith (who can actually enter him the ball in the post) will be his version of Jason Kidd. And as a backline rim protector , Thomas Bryant might as well be Tim Duncan compared to playing alongside Nick Fazekas. There are so many things he can do that will immediately pop once he’s in the NBA setting.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#512 » by nate33 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:28 am

Illmatic12 wrote:Rui gave a tremendous effort tonight in spite of his teammates.

He has a really nice IQ and leads his team without being a lead ballhandler. On offense he is constantly communicating and directing traffic, every possession he sets multiple screens to free up his teammates and tell some guys where to go. It’s actually embarrassing because he’s seeing things on the floor that his teammates aren’t and no one else is able to match his level. These plays will never make a highlight reel but he had at least 2-3 nice no-look passes out of double teams that his teammates weren’t ready for or blew the layup.

I think Rui has gotten measurably better since Gonzaga and is going to really, really thrive once he gets around NBA-quality teammates and coaches. Compared to the guys he’s playing with now, Ish Smith (who can actually enter him the ball in the post) will be his version of Jason Kidd. And as a backline rim protector , Thomas Bryant might as well be Tim Duncan compared to playing alongside Nick Fazekas. There are so many things he can do that will immediately pop once he’s in the NBA setting.

Japan was -3 in the 34 minutes that Hachimura was on the court. They were -10 in the 6 minutes that he sat.
badinage
Bench Warmer
And1: 871

Post#513 » by badinage » Tue Sep 3, 2019 1:46 pm

Rui Hachimura this morning vs. Czech Republic and our old buddy Tomas Satoransky — 21 points, 6 rebounds, 4 assists. On 8-for-12 from the field.

All aboard the Rui train ... toot, toot ...
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,035

Post#514 » by queridiculo » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:03 pm

Hachimura doesn't look like an ox, but he's a handful.

There's heft to his game that you don't quite expect looking at this somewhat wiry frame.

Uses his body really well for somebody that "lacks feel for the game".

It's going to be interesting seeing him in pick and roll situations once he gets to the pros.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#515 » by doclinkin » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:11 pm

https://youtu.be/HNs2VKiqoOE

Wow. Tough play. Scoring in traffic against double- and tripleteams. Nice passing. putting a body on his man on offense and defense. And hits the Dirk one-legged fadey for that final shot That's some grown man big boy play right there.

Yeah he's going to be fun to watch. Next to Bryant. Ferocious, high energy.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#516 » by JWizmentality » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:22 pm

queridiculo wrote:Hachimura doesn't look like an ox, but he's a handful.

There's heft to his game that you don't quite expect looking at this somewhat wiry frame.

It's going to be interesting seeing him in pick and roll situations once he gets to the pros.

I think we can all agree the scouting report on Rui was at best, terribly misinformed. Or at worst, extremely lazy.
doclinkin
RealGM

Post#517 » by doclinkin » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:26 pm

JWizmentality wrote:
queridiculo wrote:Hachimura doesn't look like an ox, but he's a handful.

I think we can all agree the scouting report on Rui was at best, terribly misinformed. Or at worst, extremely lazy.

Or better still: he is developing swiftly.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#518 » by nate33 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:12 pm

doclinkin wrote:https://youtu.be/HNs2VKiqoOE

Wow. Tough play. Scoring in traffic against double- and tripleteams. Nice passing. putting a body on his man on offense and defense. And hits the Dirk one-legged fadey for that final shot That's some grown man big boy play right there.

What's amazing is that, if you hadn't watch his other FIBA games, you would assume that he's just a burly inside player who can only operate around the basket. The entire game he was just outmuscling everyone.

But then, if you tune into the New Zealand game or the Germany game, Rui is playing like a pure small forward, hitting pullup 3's off the bounce, step-back jumpers from 19 feet, and doing inside-out crossovers to get to the rim.

The kid has the whole package. I'm feeling real confident about him. The Wizards finally hit a home run in the draft. Rui isn't going to merely be a career starter, which would be great for a #9 pick. He is going to be a star.

I can't believe it. The wildly optimistic tank-for-a-year-and-rebuild strategy might actually work as well as the most optimistic predictions. Hachimura and Bryant may very well be above-average starters by the end of this season and Hachimura could be an All-Star in 2 or 3 years. If Troy Brown pans out to be a starting caliber player, and we tank our way to a high pick in 2020, we may already have most of our new young core in place! In 2021, the Wizards might legitimately be one of the best possible destinations for Bradley Beal.
Illmatic12
RealGM

Post#519 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:35 pm

nate33 wrote:
doclinkin wrote:https://youtu.be/HNs2VKiqoOE

What's amazing is that, if you hadn't watch his other FIBA games, you would assume that he's just a burly inside player who can only operate around the basket. The entire game he was just outmuscling everyone.

But then, if you tune into the New Zealand game or the Germany game, Rui is playing like a pure small forward, hitting pullup 3's off the bounce, step-back jumpers from 19 feet, and doing inside-out crossovers to get to the rim.

The kid has the whole package. I'm feeling real confident about this. The Wizards finally hit a home run in the draft. Rui isn't going to merely be a career starter, which would be great for a #9 pick. He is going to be a star.

I can't believe it. The wildly optimistic tank-for-a-year-and-rebuild strategy might actually work as well as the most optimistic predictions. Hachimura and Bryant may very well be above-average starters by the end of this season and Hachimura could be an All-Star in 2 or 3 years. If Troy Brown pans out to be a starting caliber player, and we tank our way to a high pick in 2020, we may already have most of our new young core in place! In 2021, the Wizards might legitimately be one of the best possible destinations for Bradley Beal.

After watching both of his FIBA games I can’t emphasize this enough: Hachimura’s on-ball skills overshadow the fact that he’s a highly intelligent and unselfish off-ball player for a young guy.

Most young bigs - Bryant is a prime example - only set on-ball screens with the intention of slipping to the basket and scoring themselves. Even with vets like Markieff , he is a lazy screen setter unless the play is called for him.

Hachimura sets off-ball screens even when the ball isn’t coming to him, simply so he can free up teammates. It’s beautiful to see from a young player - he intuitively understands the principles of ball movement, timing, and reversing the ball to the other side of the floor . Japan’s coaches and Gonzaga did a great job in that regard to instill Rui with those fundamentals.

Don’t get me wrong he’s a natural scorer and clearly likes when they run plays for him. But when a play is called, he gets that its to create an open shot for his TEAM not just himself.

For ex if he calls for the ball in the post and doesn’t get it (Japan’s guards have poor vision) instead of pouting he will instinctively hustle over to the other side of the floor and set a down screen on someone else’s defender, then direct that teammate to cut off his back and present themselves to the ball. It’s like he was thinking the game two steps ahead of his teammates and telling them where to go. Once he gets to the Wiz and plays with pros who read the game on his wavelength (Brad, Ish, IT, Miles all very high IQ offensive players) I think he’s gonna develop a natural synergy and will be a high “screen assist” guy in the NBA.

After initially reading the scouting reports my biggest worry was that since Rui isn’t yet a floor-spacer , he wouldn’t be a useful offensive player without the ball in his hands. In other words I feared he might be a poor man’s Carmelo or young Rudy Gay. But that isn’t the case at all, he seems to know all the little nuances of how to be impactful off the ball - he just hasn’t had the opportunity to play with really skilled teammates. Once he adds a serviceable 3pt jumper, don’t be surprised if people start mentioning him as an advanced stats darling.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#520 » by dobrojim » Tue Sep 3, 2019 5:40 pm

Ruzious wrote:That's the part that impressed me when he was at Gonzaga - he goes hard and aggressively without hesitation to the basket all the time. In that sense (not in others), he looked like a mini Giannis. He's a natural scorer.

Where's WizDyn when you need him. It sounds like he would like him since WD was
always looking for scorers who could finish through contact.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities

Return to Washington Wizards