ImageImageImage

Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,941

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1341 » by Parliament10 » Sun Sep 1, 2019 8:17 am

Ernest wrote:I hope you guys are right about RW, but as someone else already said, lets not get carried away. He barely barely played at all last season- if you are expecting him to earn a starting role this year you are just setting yourself up to be let down. The next step for him is to play well enough to get more consistent development minutes. Like 10 a game, most games. If he can play 600 minutes this year and show any improvement during the year then that is a successful season. He doesn't need to start of prove himself better than a former starting center on a title team.

He did play in 32 Games last year.
I Agree that he needs to up it, over 600 mins. That's just over 7 mins a game.

10 mins a game would put him over 800 mins.
And you're right; Robert Williams is definitely not Starting this year.

I do feel that he'll end up being a Starter for us, though; in a year or so.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Celtics General Offseason Thread Pt 11: Kanter believe you thought of former player 

Post#1342 » by cloverleaf » Sun Sep 1, 2019 5:52 pm

Ernest wrote:I hope you guys are right about RW, but as someone else already said, lets not get carried away. He barely barely played at all last season- if you are expecting him to earn a starting role this year you are just setting yourself up to be let down. The next step for him is to play well enough to get more consistent development minutes. Like 10 a game, most games. If he can play 600 minutes this year and show any improvement during the year then that is a successful season. He doesn't need to start of prove himself better than a former starting center on a title team.

Sure, he's a work in progress and will take time and experience, but he would have played more last season had his knees been in better shape.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#1343 » by Homerclease » Sun Sep 1, 2019 5:53 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

Rajon Rondo barely played his rookie year either
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#1344 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Sep 2, 2019 10:56 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:Hope so.. it’s just a weird pairing, I feel like Derozan/Aldridge is the closest match to Kemba/Hayward in approximate talent level. Good, but..

If and that's a big if Hayward reaches his level from 2016-17 he's better than both Derozan and Aldridge, he was in a different league back then. He averaged around 25 points in the playoffs against the best defense in the league and the soon to be champs Warriors. No idea if he will tho, time will tell.

By better than both Derozan and Aldridge, I meant that he was just so versatile, at 6'8 he was capable of attacking, scoring from the outside, passing and basically running the Jazz offense. He was really close to superstar status, imo(if he had 1 more season like that he'd probably be considered a superstar-level player)..
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#1345 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Sep 2, 2019 11:01 am

Parliament10 wrote:

Hopefully he will. As you wrote I doubt he starts, he needs to do a bit more work on his defensive awareness, I feel like he might foul out in 20 mins if he starts, he just goes after every block and is reckless at times, but it should change for the better with time.

I think Poirier and Theis will do some work. Having 2 rotation bigs at only around 7 mils combined, when you add Kanter, 3 bigs at 12 mils is fantastic. DA did pretty well considering the crazy money some role players got.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1346 » by cloverleaf » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:26 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

A nice thought, but Rondo played in 78 games, starting in 25 of them, for 1831 minutes and a 23.5 minutes per game average, as a rookie.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1347 » by Ernest » Mon Sep 2, 2019 8:28 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

Using that kind of logic: Obama and me both like basketball. Therefore I will become the president.

I mean, come on, Rondo was a 9th pick that we went out and got. Also, your kind of wrong. Rondo played over 20 minutes a game, played all but 4 games and started 25 times in his rookie year.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1348 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Sep 3, 2019 12:07 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:Hope so.. it’s just a weird pairing, I feel like Derozan/Aldridge is the closest match to Kemba/Hayward in approximate talent level. Good, but..

If and that's a big if Hayward reaches his level from 2016-17 he's better than both Derozan and Aldridge, he was in a different league back then. He averaged around 25 points in the playoffs against the best defense in the league and the soon to be champs Warriors. No idea if he will tho, time will tell.

By better than both Derozan and Aldridge, I meant that he was just so versatile, at 6'8 he was capable of attacking, scoring from the outside, passing and basically running the Jazz offense. He was really close to superstar status, imo(if he had 1 more season like that he'd probably be considered a superstar-level player)..

Ideally, yeah. Watching Kemba in FIBA ball I also wonder how much he’s suffered from a lack of help. There’s a case that his reputation is deflated because he’s been carrying bad and badly designed teams on his back, and that with more help and better spacing he’ll look like a different player.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#1349 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:17 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:

Ideally, yeah. Watching Kemba in FIBA ball I also wonder how much he’s suffered from a lack of help. There’s a case that his reputation is deflated because he’s been carrying bad and badly designed teams on his back, and that with more help and better spacing he’ll look like a different player.

That's true. Kemba was playing with 2 good role players at best last season, pretty poor CHA team overall.

I need some Celtics basketball in my life, already. FIBA's nice, cause we got so many guys, but I can't wait for the season.
Good assessment:

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1350 » by Parliament10 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:35 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#1351 » by 3D Chess » Tue Sep 3, 2019 3:43 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I mean, I love Smitty... but... ya think????

He's the freaking all-star PG!
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1352 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Sep 3, 2019 4:03 pm

3D Chess wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I mean, I love Smitty... but... ya think????

He's the freaking all-star PG!

I could easily see Kemba being a 20/8 guy on improved efficiency this season. I think he has no issue scoring a little less if it helps the team.

A refreshing change.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#1353 » by GoCeltics123 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#1354 » by SichtingLives » Wed Sep 4, 2019 8:44 am

I am jonesin' for some C's...this fiba stuff doesn't do it for me come on baby i'm bored hit me in that green vein
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#1355 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:34 am

Jurry wrote:I am jonesin' for some C's...this fiba stuff doesn't do it for me come on baby i'm bored hit me in that green vein

Game vs Turkey was exciting, but I feel the same way. I need me some C's b-ball.
Good assessment:

Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#1356 » by Disinformation » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:06 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Jurry wrote:I am jonesin' for some C's...this fiba stuff doesn't do it for me come on baby i'm bored hit me in that green vein

Game vs Turkey was exciting, but I feel the same way. I need me some C's b-ball.

I just want our boys to come home at this point. No one's playing that well and Tatum is hurt. Just come home and get ready for the season.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1357 » by Parliament10 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 10:25 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
FlatearthZorro
RealGM

Post#1358 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Sep 6, 2019 9:12 am

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn, how old is he?

Anyways, as we were talking about the bigs, I feel like Brad needs to encourage both Poirier and Kanter to crash the offensive glass, they are both strong and have nose for the ball. Bob is quicker and more athletic so he can run back on defense.
Good assessment:

Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,435

Post#1359 » by Triple7 » Fri Sep 6, 2019 4:29 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Damn, how old is he?

Anyways, as we were talking about the bigs, I feel like Brad needs to encourage both Poirier and Kanter to crash the offensive glass, they are both strong and have nose for the ball. Bob is quicker and more athletic so he can run back on defense.

Well Kanter is one of the best offensive rebounders last season. He grabs a lot of rebounds despite his limited playing time. Poirier is also one of the best rebounders in Europe. I think we’ll be a much better rebounding team next season, with a good post up game, which is almost non-existent last year.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,839

Post#1360 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Sep 6, 2019 6:05 pm

Read on Twitter

Offseason rule of thumb: Believe every positive thing you hear about the Celtics. Any skepticism and negative thing is wrong.

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics