ImageImageImageImageImage

Rodi Kurucs arrested by NYPD for domestic assault

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Rodi Kurucs arrested by NYPD for domestic assault  

Post#1 » by Paradise » Tue Sep 3, 2019 8:47 pm

This season is off to a weird start already. What’s with the Latvians and NYPD?

Read on Twitter

A Brooklyn Nets player was arrested Tuesday for choking his girlfriend in his Brooklyn apartment during an argument that went out of control, police sources said.
Rodions Kurucs, 21, was busted for attacking his girlfriend on June 27 just before 8 p.m. in his apartment on Bond St. near First St. in Carroll Gardens.

Police sources said a verbal argument spiraled out of control.

Kurucs allegedly screamed, “I am going to kill myself!” He put his hand around the woman’s throat and choked her, then forced her to march to his bed.

He pushed her on the bed, slapped her in the face twice, bit her lip and then picked her up and tossed her on the bed hard enough to hurt her ribs, the sources said.
Kurucs, a Latvian native, currently is starting his second season under a three-year, $5 million contract with the Nets, according to the playerswiki page. Last season, he averaged 8.5 points per game. He previously played for the Barcelona basketball club in Spain, and has played for the Latvian national team.

Kurucs was charged with obstructing the woman’s breathing. It was his first arrest in New York City.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Re: Rodi Kurucs arrested by NYPD for domestic assault 

Post#2 » by MGrand15 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:04 pm

Wtf is going on this off-season?
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,286

Post#3 » by Jstock12 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:38 pm

Latvians + NY Women = Domestic assault :(
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,486

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:03 pm

My heart just sunk reading this. Disappointment is an understatement. What the **** Rodi???

If this is all true the league and the Nets front office needs to come down on Rodi hard. There is no tolerance for this. Fine him substantially and suspend him for a significant amount of time. And he clearly needs some psychological help.

Jesus christ.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#5 » by Born_Ready » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:09 pm

Damn, Rodi. You messed up BIG time with this one.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,746

Post#6 » by Rich Rane » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:16 pm

What are you doing?! Why?!
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#7 » by gigantes » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:19 pm

Born_Ready wrote:Damn, Rodi. You messed up BIG time with this one.

Yeah, it's hard to see a light at the end of this particular tunnel.

If the body of these accusations are true, you have to strongly consider cutting him immediately. This is just too far over the line. Plus, anti-Brooklyn Net behavior.

I could also see a path where you consider that he's only 21yo, far from his native land, and enter him in some form of life-altering program for the next few weeks and/or months. From then on it's mandatory that he work with a counselor on a weekly basis, or even more often.

Certainly he's entitled to due process, but...
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#8 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:32 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:My heart just sunk reading this. Disappointment is an understatement. What the **** Rodi???

If this is all true the league and the Nets front office needs to come down on Rodi hard. There is no tolerance for this. Fine him substantially and suspend him for a significant amount of time. And he clearly needs some psychological help.

Jesus christ.

ummmm.... no. save the fines and suspensions for a drug violation.

domestic abuse = 0 tolerance.

immedietly suspended and locked out of all facilities.... then instantly released the second after all the details are corroborated.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#9 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:33 pm

gigantes wrote:

If the body of these accusations are true, you have to strongly consider cutting him immediately. This is just too far over the line. Plus, anti-Brooklyn Net behavior.

I could also see a path where you consider that he's only 21yo, far from his native land, and enter him in some form of life-altering program for the next few weeks and/or months. From then on it's mandatory that he work with a counselor on a weekly basis, or even more often.

I would suspend him for 41 games at minimum and he immediately needs to be placed into counseling/under the care of a mental health professional.

Actually, I would waive him if it looks like he's going to be doing jail time for this. I'm pissed off now at this kid.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#10 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:37 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:My heart just sunk reading this. Disappointment is an understatement. What the **** Rodi???

Jesus christ.

ummmm.... no. save the fines and suspensions for a drug violation.

domestic abuse = 0 tolerance.

immedietly suspended and locked out of all facilities.... then instantly released the second after all the details are corroborated.

I have no problem with him being released. I think the Nets should make a statement here.

Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#11 » by Born_Ready » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:37 pm

gigantes wrote:

Yeah, this is definitely not a good look for the organization. It will be interesting to see how it's handled.

I mean the NFL doesn't have any tolerance for such behavior, and some teams go as far as cutting their players.

I doubt there is any proof that would reflect innocene on his behalf, so I don't know how he gets off on this one. Maybe settle out of court, etc. Personally, he is gonna have an uphill battle to restore his reputation.

Brooklyn will have a tough decision on their hands. It will be interesting to see how things unfold for sure. As a basketball player it sucks to see this for him, but off the court he has a lot to figure out.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#12 » by Prokorov » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:46 pm

Born_Ready wrote:
gigantes wrote:

Yeah, this is definitely not a good look for the organization. It will be interesting to see how it's handled.

I mean the NFL doesn't have any tolerance for such behavior, and some teams go as far as cutting their players.

I doubt there is any proof that would reflect innocene on his behalf, so I don't know how he gets off on this one. Maybe settle out of court, etc. Personally, he is gonna have an uphill battle to restore his reputation.

Brooklyn will have a tough decision on their hands. It will be interesting to see how things unfold for sure. As a basketball player it sucks to see this for him, but off the court he has a lot to figure out.

i dont see the tough decision at all.

step 1. indefinite suspension pending details/facts/verdicts, locked out of all team facilities.

step 2. once facts are corroboated, instantly cut, no hesitaiton.

step 3. nets donate the amount of his salary to a womens charitable foundation.

if marks/nets are the class organization we believe them to be, there will be no othe course of action
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#13 » by kamaze » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:46 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:

I would suspend him for 41 games at minimum and he immediately needs to be placed into counseling/under the care of a mental health professional.

Actually, I would waive him if it looks like he's going to be doing jail time for this. I'm pissed off now at this kid.

You're overreacting.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:48 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:Yeah, it's hard to see a light at the end of this particular tunnel.

You're overreacting.

Oh shut the hell up. This is very serious. He wouldn't have been arrested without proof. He's done.

Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#15 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:50 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I have no problem with him being released. I think the Nets should make a statement here.

not sure what do you mean by "statement", but heres one statement by the brooklyn nets

Read on Twitter
gigantes
Starter

Post#16 » by gigantes » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:50 pm

Born_Ready wrote:Yeah, this is definitely not a good look for the organization. It will be interesting to see how it's handled.

Yeah, one wonders how he could conceivably be innocent or even mostly innocent, here. This one sounds like it spilled in to other peoples' lives almost immediately, at least in terms of them hearing the couple screaming and such.

I also have to say that I wouldn't contribute a rodent's posterior towards what the NFL does. From where I'm standing, that league looks like its run by a bunch of rich, craven cowards and shameless racists. I like to think the NBA is a much smarter, more pro-player kind of league.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#17 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:02 am

Dzon Dilindzer wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I have no problem with him being released. I think the Nets should make a statement here.

not sure what do you mean by "statement", but heres one statement by the brooklyn nets

Read on Twitter

Statement meaning Rodi needs to be released if this is even remotely true.

3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#18 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:46 am

Wow, super disappointing turn of events. Rodi didn't seem like the type do this. Sad if even a tiny bit of this is true.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#19 » by LOUiS-D » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:55 am

Encouraged to see the responses here. Keeping him on after this, no matter the duration of the suspension, would normalize violence against women and taint any semblance of the wholesome, welcoming and family friendly culture that's being established. If guilty he must be released.

He's a solid prospect. I hope he sorts himself out long term. In the short to mid term there needs to be consequences.
gigantes
Starter

Post#20 » by gigantes » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:03 am

3pt_chucker wrote:Wow, super disappointing turn of events. Rodi didn't seem like the type do this. Sad if even a tiny bit of this is true.

I don't know, he seemed like a pretty feisty player on the court and even in interviews, sometimes. I don't doubt that's a big part of what helped him get to the NBA, but...

But this is all so discouraging to see happen to our favorite team and also the (very young) individuals involved. Everyone is likely to pay hard for this awful night in question.

You also have to be extremely curious if there were any warning signs whatsoever when the scouting dept checked Rodi out. I love the fact that he was such a clever draft pick, borne of Marks' almost magical ability to create picks out of thin air and then spend them wisely. And now I'm hearing the sound of a toilet loudly flushing. :/

Return to Brooklyn Nets