Re: The Temple of Jemerrio Jones 

Post#2 » by nate33 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:38 pm

Read on Twitter
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#3 » by payitforward » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:43 pm

Whoah there -- this kid is good! That's a whole lot of highlights amassed in a grand total of 143 minutes!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,302

Post#4 » by nate33 » Tue Sep 3, 2019 7:57 pm

How does a 6-5, 174 pound guy get so many rebounds?
payitforward
RealGM

Post#5 » by payitforward » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:11 pm

I hope we get a chance to see him play, so maybe we can figure it out!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#6 » by JWizmentality » Tue Sep 3, 2019 9:50 pm

Hot take. Mo Vagner will be the best prospect we got from the Lakers. Excluding Bryant of course.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#7 » by doclinkin » Tue Sep 3, 2019 10:22 pm

nate33 wrote:How does a 6-5, 174 pound guy get so many rebounds?

Long arms, vision, anticipation. He reads the ball really well going out of a guys hand, and moves to the place it will bounce to if it misses. Watch, as soon as the ball goes up he runs to the spot where the rebound bounces. Jason Kidd and Dennis Rodman both had that sort of understanding of the angles of rebounding. Rodman used to step out of bounds to read the shot better and get a head start on moving to his spot.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#8 » by payitforward » Tue Sep 3, 2019 11:47 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Hot take. Mo Vagner will be the best prospect we got from the Lakers. Excluding Bryant of course.

Uuuunnnh, no.... Or at least I sure hope not, b/c if so then none of them will be any good.

Explain why Jemerrio Jones playing extremely well in 143 minutes would make you say that, btw, especially given that Mo Wagner was pretty much awful for the Lakers -- & then awful for us in SL once again.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#9 » by gambitx777 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:05 am

He can't shoot for ****.but he works hard so if he fixes that shot he might be solid.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#10 » by nuposse04 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:57 am

Prolly the best part of those highlights are the extra passes he's making. He seems like a guy who is aware of his limitations and at least tries to make the right play. Expends his energy playing defense and boarding while he tries to become a better shooter. He'll have a role if he keeps it up. Might want to add some weight though if he's really 174 lbs.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#11 » by WallToWall » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:31 am

I've always liked his play when he was with the Lakers. He knew he wouldnt see the court much and he made the most of it. He b-ball IQ is definitely higher than average, and on the defensive end, he sees things that most miss. While with the Lakers, I dont think they did a good job of coaching him, putting him with the right trainers, and giving him the right experience that any rookie would need. I hope the new scenery will do him some good, and he gets the proper coaching. A shooting coach will definitely help him. If he develops any shot at all, then he will become valuable, because his D is already better than average, and he can rebound. I have my eye on him for most improved player.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#12 » by prime1time » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:21 am

His offense is so bad that he's borderline unplayable. You can say it was a small sample size last year but his college numbers are also a disaster. His ft shooting went from 61% to 52% from his freshman to sophomore years. His 3-point shooting went from 22% to 9%. This isn't just bad, this is you won't be long for the NBA. He needs to at least become passable offensively. Otherwise I don't want him.
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#13 » by prime1time » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:29 am

Looking at his G-league stats he was at 34.1% from 3 on .9 3's a game, but .5% from the ft line. The way forward for him is to be a 3 and D guy. If he can figure out his shooting, he could be a starter. But right now his shooting is so bad that there is no place for him on an NBA roster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 4, 2019 9:24 am

gambitx777 wrote:He can't shoot for ****.but he works hard so if he fixes that shot he might be solid.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

He's got to do what Garrett Temple did. Temple was a 36% shooter as a 22 year old senior at LSU... from the field - not from 3 point range. He made himself into a solid open 3 point shooter in the NBA. Hell, Andre Roberson gets 26 minutes a game playing for a winning team at OKC, and he still can't shoot even a little bit. All Jones needs to do is develop an adequate open 3, and he can help a team win in the NBA. Hopefully, the Wiz have a plan to get him over that hump.

If he does, think of what his presence can allow the Wiz to do. There's absolutely nobody like him - as a player who's physically a 2 who rebounds better than most centers. We've talked at length about Brandon Clarke for good reasons - in part because of his rebounding for a short PF - 12.2 per 40 minutes as a 4th year junior. Jones averaged 18.7 per 40 as a sophomore; a ridiculous 6.5 more than Clarke. These numbers are unheard of... again 6.5 more rebounds per 40 more than Clarke. Nobody else has a player capable of doing that who can match up against perimeter players - even Westbrook can't.

While he's not a great athlete, he's a respectable athlete compared to the average NBA 2. But because of his rebounding and defense, you can play him as a forward. That amps up the team's ability to run, harass on defense, and get easy baskets - without giving up anything in terms of rebounding and defense. It would be a competitive advantage for the Wiz over every other team. That's why Jem's development is especially key for the Wiz, and he was the key get in the trade with the Lakers.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#15 » by JWizmentality » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:26 pm

payitforward wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:Hot take. Mo Vagner will be the best prospect we got from the Lakers. Excluding Bryant of course.

Uuuunnnh, no.... Or at least I sure hope not, b/c if so then none of them will be any good.

Explain why Jemerrio Jones playing extremely well in 143 minutes would make you say that, btw, especially given that Mo Wagner was pretty much awful for the Lakers -- & then awful for us in SL once again.

I thought my trolling was pretty obvious. :-? :lol:

No I don't think Mo is long for this league.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#16 » by nate33 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:33 pm

Don't forget that one of Jemerrio Jones, Justin Robinson or Jordan McRae needs to be cut to get the roster size down to 15. (Those are the guys without guaranteed contracts. I guess they could cut Bonga, Wagner or Mahinmi if they were willing to eat the contract.)

I suspect that Jemerrio Jones is the most likely to be cut.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#17 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 4, 2019 12:46 pm

nate33 wrote:Don't forget that one of Jemerrio Jones, Justin Robinson or Jordan McRae needs to be cut to get the roster size down to 15. (Those are the guys without guaranteed contracts. I guess they could cut Bonga, Wagner or Mahinmi if they were willing to eat the contract.)

If Wagner doesn't show anything (particularly since centers are being devalued and he's played like piss), what's the point of keeping him? It's not like we're risking lux tax - like last season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#18 » by nate33 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:Don't forget that one of Jemerrio Jones, Justin Robinson or Jordan McRae needs to be cut to get the roster size down to 15. (Those are the guys without guaranteed contracts. I guess they could cut Bonga, Wagner or Mahinmi if they were willing to eat the contract.)

If Wagner doesn't show anything (particularly since centers are being devalued and he's played like piss), what's the point of keeping him? It's not like we're risking lux tax - like last season.

I agree. He really seems like the least promising guy on the roster. But with the way the Wizards talked about how much they loved him pre-draft, I just don't think they'll do it.

Also, we do have a boatload of (mediocre) wing depth behind Beal and Brown including Miles, Schofield, Bonga, Jones and McRae. Meanwhile, the only bodies we have at center behind Bryant are Mahinmi and Wagner. If we cut one, we will be very susceptible to injury.

What I would really like to do is cut Wagner and then trade Bonga for a comparable prospect at the PF/C position. That would resolve a lot of roster issues and allow us to keep McRae and Jones. (I've got nothing against Bonga, but I just don't see room for him on this roster when we already have a bunch of ball handlers in Wall, Beal and Brown. It's just not a good fit for him here because he needs the ball to be effective.)
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#19 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Sep 4, 2019 1:53 pm

This isn't a hot take, just a terrible one. He's almost 3 years older than Bonga and already worse. Bonga may or may not be the best prospect - Jones is definitely interesting, too, though.

My concern with Jones is that he can't shoot at all - even FTs. He's really bad at shooting and I'm not at all convinced he's ever going to be able to shoot. He does basically everything else you could want besides putting the ball in the basket, though. A part of me wonders if he couldn't carve out a career as one of those underrated utility guys not totally unlike Marcus Smart. Even Marcus Smart hits more than 30% of his 3s and a reasonable amount of his FTs, though. I fully expect Jones to bust his ass to try to learn to shoot better. If he comes through even a little bit, he'd be really good.

And I disagree with Nate about Bonga. I don't think it's necessarily a problem to have multiple ball-handlers on the floor and Bonga should be able to play both with and without the ball. Heck, so should Brown, Beal and others. It's really just Wall who's extreme in both his ability to play on the ball and lack of skillset to play off of it and I don't see how he's an issue at this point.
Bucket! Bucket!
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#20 » by nate33 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:19 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:

This isn't a hot take, just a terrible one. He's almost 3 years older than Bonga and already worse. Bonga may or may not be the best prospect - Jones is definitely interesting, too, though.

My concern with Jones is that he can't shoot at all - even FTs. He's really bad at shooting and I'm not at all convinced he's ever going to be able to shoot. He does basically everything else you could want besides putting the ball in the basket, though. A part of me wonders if he couldn't carve out a career as one of those underrated utility guys not totally unlike Marcus Smart. Even Marcus Smart hits more than 30% of his 3s and a reasonable amount of his FTs, though. I fully expect Jones to bust his ass to try to learn to shoot better. If he comes through even a little bit, he'd be really good.

And I disagree with Nate about Bonga. I don't think it's necessarily a problem to have multiple ball-handlers on the floor and Bonga should be able to play both with and without the ball. Heck, so should Brown, Beal and others. It's really just Wall who's extreme in both his ability to play on the ball and lack of skillset to play off of it and I don't see how he's an issue at this point.

The other issue with Bonga is that he is still at least 2 years away. Even if he does develop into the more optimistic range of his projections, it won't happen until he is a free agent. And at that point, my concerns about his synergy with the roster come into play. Once you are paying big money for a guy, you can't afford redundancy and roster incompatibility.

I just think it would be much better to have a guy with the exact same potential as Bonga, only one playing a position and role of need. It would be easier to develop such a player (because the minutes are available), and it would make more sense to keep him if he did develop.

Return to Washington Wizards