The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread

Moderator: lilfishi22

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Re: The Official Metamoris/BJJ/Grappling Thread 

Post#401 » by Susan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:23 pm

From 2012, starts at like 17:20 or so. Just remember this rubbing me the wrong way, not sure how you feel about it.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#402 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:14 pm

Susan wrote:

From 2012, starts at like 17:20 or so. Just remember this rubbing me the wrong way, not sure how you feel about it.

A lot about that rubs me the wrong way:
*He has the Holly Holm wet blanket thing going on. He always has tbh.
*He said he just throws the white belt on because he's "new at that place". No dude, you throw on the white belt because you're a
f*cking white belt.
*He definitely has an ego about being "the champ". I see what you mean not for sure. That said, I can 100% guarantee you he has
had that beaten out of him. Not in the cage, but in the gym.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Susan
RealGM

Post#403 » by Susan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:53 pm

Dude could not be less fluid. He's so tense.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#404 » by REDDzone » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:41 pm

Haha yea that's the match I saw. Honestly I wouldn't call him a blue if he wasn't wearing a belt.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#405 » by REDDzone » Thu May 2, 2019 1:11 pm

Susan, any of your guys competing at F2W?
Susan
RealGM

Post#406 » by Susan » Thu May 2, 2019 2:15 pm

REDDzone wrote:Susan, any of your guys competing at F2W?

Chris Nicholson is. He's the one who tried to go 100% on me a few weeks ago and got a nice ezekiel choke for it.

MMA guy, 165lbs, ex-Marine and my favorite person to troll. Y'all got anybody?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#407 » by REDDzone » Thu May 2, 2019 2:22 pm

Susan wrote:

Chris Nicholson is. He's the one who tried to go 100% on me a few weeks ago and got a nice ezekiel choke for it.

Nah, Dan is doing Atlanta I think and Charlie is fighting in Bellator next week so think he's focusing on that.

Crazy stacked card though. I hate Flo but also love Flo.
Susan
RealGM

Post#408 » by Susan » Thu May 2, 2019 2:31 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:

Nah, Dan is doing Atlanta I think and Charlie is fighting in Bellator next week so think he's focusing on that.

Crazy stacked card though. I hate Flo but also love Flo.

Leighton vs Devonte :o . Leighton absolutely tore the **** out of one of my gis trying to choke me out. Dude had his game and stuck to it even in training. Dan was much more flowy and fun to train with.

Blake Klassman vs Steve Patterson is an interesting one. Klassman is way smaller than him.

I got to roll with Nick Spacek a few Sundays ago. He was a good dude, we were able to flow without going absurd on each other which I really appreciated. He was showing a footlock he got in his previous F2W and my foot popped (I'm crazy bendy and **** not breaking) and he freaked out but I was like, dude it's just cracking, you're good. Dude's built like a tank tho.

Yousef Al-Ghoul was in my Freshman year Physics class. He wrestled at my college and the dude at his weight division ended up winning nationals and is one of the best Grecco guys in the nation now. Gotta suck to come in and just get your ass kicked by a dude like that everyday.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#409 » by REDDzone » Thu May 2, 2019 2:40 pm

Susan wrote:Leighton vs Devonte :o . Leighton absolutely tore the **** out of one of my gis trying to choke me out. Dude had his game and stuck to it even in training. Dan was much more flowy and fun to train with.

Blake Klassman vs Steve Patterson is an interesting one. Klassman is way smaller than him.

I got to roll with Nick Spacek a few Sundays ago. He was a good dude, we were able to flow without going absurd on each other which I really appreciated. He was showing a footlock he got in his previous F2W and my foot popped (I'm crazy bendy and **** not breaking) and he freaked out but I was like, dude it's just cracking, you're good. Dude's built like a tank tho.

Yousef Al-Ghoul was in my Freshman year Physics class. He wrestled at my college and the dude at his weight division ended up winning nationals and is one of the best Grecco guys in the nation now. Gotta suck to come in and just get your ass kicked by a dude like that everyday.

Leighton is a monster, I remember he armbarred Dante a few months back which isn't really a thing that happens. Have you rolled with Devhonte though? He comes through every so often so I've trained with him a decent amount, maybe the strongest human I've ever dealt with in any capacity. He's a great dude too.

John Gutta is also competing. This is a random anecdote but I remember wayyyyyyyyy back in the day before I even started training, you and someone else on this board were talking about what a monster he was at BLUE belt. IDK why that sticks out in my head so much. Crazy that he has his own academy now and has been successful at black belt. His significant other actually trains with us so he comes through a few times a month I'd say. Couldn't imagine a nicer guy.
Susan
RealGM

Post#410 » by Susan » Thu May 2, 2019 2:58 pm

REDDzone wrote:
Susan wrote:Leighton vs Devonte :o . Leighton absolutely tore the **** out of one of my gis trying to choke me out. Dude had his game and stuck to it even in training. Dan was much more flowy and fun to train with.

Leighton is a monster, I remember he armbarred Dante a few months back which isn't really a thing that happens. Have you rolled with Devhonte though? He comes through every so often so I've trained with him a decent amount, maybe the strongest human I've ever dealt with in any capacity. He's a great dude too.

John Gutta is also competing. This is a random anecdote but I remember wayyyyyyyyy back in the day before I even started training, you and someone else on this board were talking about what a monster he was at BLUE belt. IDK why that sticks out in my head so much. Crazy that he has his own academy now and has been successful at black belt. His significant other actually trains with us so he comes through a few times a month I'd say. Couldn't imagine a nicer guy.

Never got to roll with Devonte. Said hi at a Chicago Open to him and he was a good dude. I know he's tight with Brohan.

My favorite Gutta/BJJ competition story: So when I was starting, it was me, Jim Barrett and this guy Mike Zimmerman at White Belt. Zimmerman started a little before me, Jim had trained a bit before me/wrestled. Jim + I got our blues together, Mike actually failed his blue belt exam because he's a freaking goofball. First roll in as a blue, I get my jaw broken and take a year off.

When I come back, both Jim and Mike were BEASTS. Jim took second at the Pan Ams in 2011 and Mike's guard was filthy but he was still a space cadet. They were kicking my ass steadily and after a few months I got back to a spot where I was competitive with them.

To the Gutta/Zimmerman story: Zimmerman had signed up for the Chicago Open but was traveling Europe for 3 weeks prior. He legit just got home and was doing this tournament without any training for a few weeks. His technique was so nasty that he ran through the first few rounds only to meet Gutta in the finals. First 3 minutes he's beating Gutta on points but was clearly gassing out in doing so. With about 2 minutes left, he yells out to us to tell him how much time was left and my smartass teammate said "5 minutes left". You could see the look on his face and he pretty much gave up mentally after that. Gutta passed his guard and took his back and I think bow & arrowed him pretty quickly after that.

Crazy to see how far he's gone since then.

Another OG name that I remember is Andy Acker. He still doing stuff up there?
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#411 » by REDDzone » Thu May 2, 2019 3:10 pm

Susan wrote:Never got to roll with Devonte. Said hi at a Chicago Open to him and he was a good dude. I know he's tight with Brohan.

My favorite Gutta/BJJ competition story: So when I was starting, it was me, Jim Barrett and this guy Mike Zimmerman at White Belt. Zimmerman started a little before me, Jim had trained a bit before me/wrestled. Jim + I got our blues together, Mike actually failed his blue belt exam because he's a freaking goofball. First roll in as a blue, I get my jaw broken and take a year off.

When I come back, both Jim and Mike were BEASTS. Jim took second at the Pan Ams in 2011 and Mike's guard was filthy but he was still a space cadet. They were kicking my ass steadily and after a few months I got back to a spot where I was competitive with them.

To the Gutta/Zimmerman story: Zimmerman had signed up for the Chicago Open but was traveling Europe for 3 weeks prior. He legit just got home and was doing this tournament without any training for a few weeks. His technique was so nasty that he ran through the first few rounds only to meet Gutta in the finals. First 3 minutes he's beating Gutta on points but was clearly gassing out in doing so. With about 2 minutes left, he yells out to us to tell him how much time was left and my smartass teammate said "5 minutes left". You could see the look on his face and he pretty much gave up mentally after that. Gutta passed his guard and took his back and I think bow & arrowed him pretty quickly after that.

Crazy to see how far he's gone since then.

Another OG name that I remember is Andy Acker. He still doing stuff up there?

That's hilarious. IDK who Mike is but have rolled with Jim a few times a few years back.

Acker is still around. Alliance black belt out of Madison. He comes to our monthly open mats once every two or three months. I don't think he competes too much anymore. When I started I think he was purple and was considered one of the more up and coming guys in the state in terms of the competition scene.
Jasen777
Head Coach
And1: 1,877

Post#412 » by Jasen777 » Tue May 7, 2019 7:19 pm

Well Askren made it to the 2nd round at least against Burroughs.
Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#413 » by Jasen777 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:09 am

Jasen777
Head Coach

Post#414 » by Jasen777 » Tue Jun 4, 2019 10:16 pm

There's a bench warrant out for Ralek Gracie because he didn't show up at a meeting about a judgement against him concerning Metamoris owing money.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#415 » by REDDzone » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Not a ton here because it looks like any potential finishing sequences are edited out, and I don't really think they're training too hard anyway, but still cool to see two of the GOATs in their respective sports roll:

cowboyronnie
RealGM
And1: 1,465

Post#416 » by cowboyronnie » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Gordon Ryan on Renato's podcast. Jesus Christ, what an uninteresting halfwit. Renato is so insightful and intelligent, Ryan is just a moron.
Hi love, bye love, I will miss my love.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#417 » by REDDzone » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:29 pm

cowboyronnie wrote:Gordon Ryan on Renato's podcast. Jesus Christ, what an uninteresting halfwit. Renato is so insightful and intelligent, Ryan is just a moron.

Total idiot and super naive.

That said, dude is the best nogi submission grappler in the world right now. Depending how his LCL tear heals up, anyway.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#418 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 4, 2019 2:10 pm

I've been watching this youtube series that is pretty interesting lately called Shugyo. The concept is no time limit, submission only matches. But instead of just airing the event live, they've chopped it up into short episodes released weekly. High production value, interesting matches, good interviews and they cut out some of the boringness that is inherent in matches that could theoretically go hours. I recommend it. If anyone remembers the BJJ Kumite that Lloyd Irvin put on back in the day, it's a similar concept. Also has some good competitors. Not the biggest of big name guys, but at least 2-3 ADCC guys and some other good grapplers from around the country.

Episode 1 (Episode 4 is cray if you make it that far):

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,483

Post#419 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:13 pm

REDDzone wrote:
cowboyronnie wrote:Gordon Ryan on Renato's podcast. Jesus Christ, what an uninteresting halfwit. Renato is so insightful and intelligent, Ryan is just a moron.

Total idiot and super naive.

That said, dude is the best nogi submission grappler in the world right now. Depending how his LCL tear heals up, anyway.

Ryan comes off as a cocky spoiled kid that has never been told no in his life. But ya that dude is as good as it gets when it comes to nogi bjj. It's pretty crazy to think with how many matches he's had, he's only been submitted once.

With him starting MMA training and saying MMA is his ultimate goal and Kyle Snyder pretty much saying the same thing. Those are two 24 year old guys who are most likely going to be in the same weight division and will be going into MMA with an elite foundational skill to work with. If I was the UFC, I would try to lock those guys up early before Belator does. Both guys would be very easy to promote.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#420 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 4, 2019 4:34 pm

Gordon's 2017 ADCC run may be the best ever.

In his weight division, he:
[*] Beat Danis
[*] Submitted Romulo
[*] Beat Xande
[*] Submitted Keenan (first and only time anyone has ever done that)

In the Absolutes, he:
[*] Submitted Cyborg
[*] Submitted Craig Jones
[*] Submitted Mahamed Aly

He's won double gold at nogi world's and nogi pan's since that time.

Again, not a fan of his, but hopefully he's healthy for ADCC because it really is something else to watch him compete.

Return to Boxing & Mixed Martial Arts